Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Could always mean they will release set 4 before making Hex available on Steam. We could still get set 4 on the 12th and then see Hex hit steam a few days from then, or the following week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh, a steam key for this game would make me very happy.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
This is a quote from last month about marketing stuff that is relevant to the Steam discussion;

Chark posted:

I think publishing to steam would capture proportionally a larger number of players who many not be spending very much money on the game (f2p players). I think an influx of free to play players does two things: increases demand for common/uncommon cards and increases supply of gold in the economy.

I think commons/uncommons demand makes cracking packs a winning proposition, so we should see more pack sales. I am fairly confident in this relationship, given the correlation between PvE releasing and a surge in total cards sold in AH, as well as increased plat/gold turnover based on this article here: http://www.hexprimal.com/market-watch-winners-losers-february-2016/. The slight side effect of this would be a larger supply of rares/legendaries which may not be offset by the demand for those generated by the free to play players, but I think the economy can handle this.

Gold supply increase would have to be managed. We have planned a number of gold sinks for adventure zone 2, so I am not too worried.

In general an increase in players has a direct correlation to the number of players who chose to buy things (monetize), so the larger the base, the more sales we see, which is obviously good for us. It allows us to continue to develop and provide this game to players. An increase of paying players results in more matchmaking activities for other paying players. I.e. if 7 people want to draft we receive 0 platinum and if 8 people want to draft, we receive 5600 platinum (there's no partial gain for us and player's demand isn't satisfied).

Finally a larger player base does increase the volume of transaction in the market, which hopefully allows for more correct pricing of goods, which I believe to be a good thing.

Edit: Forward looking statements, don't base your in-game investment activities on this post alone, etc.

I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that Set 4 hits before the expected Steam release though because I want shiny new cards now

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Grim posted:

This is a quote from last month about marketing stuff that is relevant to the Steam discussion;

I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that Set 4 hits before the expected Steam release though because I want shiny new cards now

Yea I remember reading those comments Chark made and came away with the thought they were probably pursuing a Steam release. After having some time to think about it and reading some of Chark's other comments I think offering Hex on Steam should be positive for the player base, at least initially, but I'm pretty sure that means Hex has a marketing budget of zero dollars. 30% is a pretty huge chunk of change to give up just to be on Steam.

If the Steam release is on the 12th and set 4 isn't on the 12th the only other realistic day in April is the 26th assuming a Tuesday release. It can't really be the 19th because that's VIP weekend and it would be really lovely to have a release weekend the same time as that. I guess it's possible the Steam release isn't the 12th.

edit: I'm trying hard to fight back some serious doom and gloom talk.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 6, 2016

Thrawn200
Dec 13, 2008

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin & Hobbes

katkillad2 posted:

I mean I'm not surprised, just more annoyed they keep saying this kind of stuff over and over.

I'm usually more annoyed that people keep defending it or blaming the players this far in. They've had three sets to get it figured out, I think the excuses related to "they are still getting processes in place" are pretty worn out.

I've been making a conscious effort to be less negative about Hex but they sure make it hard when it's been going on 9 months since set 3 was released and we have bugs that sit around for months.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Patch tomorrow, not set 4. Seems like it's mostly just polish for the Steam release. It doesn't sound like early April for set 4 is happening, though.

quote:

Successfully patching in all these improvements paves the way for Primal Dawn, so we hope to have this set to you relatively soon.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

If they're missing the 12th, they're missing early simply by definition.

I don't know why you guys keep getting angry about this. This isn't the first time, it won't be the last time. Treat it as an approximation, and don't stress. I'd rather it be done right than done on time.

They do need to stop putting dates on things, though.

Oh man, this would be amazing for Ruby burn or a S/R control build.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

They were saying set 4 was practically finished except the art months ago, then it turned into it's finished except for bug testing, then it turned into "early April"... They deserve all the anger anyone feels like giving to them.

At least they are being semi-honest now. They kept stressing how important a PVP release every 4 months was almost anytime they had the chance to talk to someone and for some reason people keep believing them, but in one of the last articles they said they aren't going to hit that goal for the next two sets and, "HEX isn’t just about releasing a set every four months." Yea ok, you are never going to hit a PVP set every 4 months so you might as well walk back on what you've been saying for years.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

katkillad2 posted:

They were saying set 4 was practically finished except the art months ago, then it turned into it's finished except for bug testing, then it turned into "early April"...

As much as it sucks, speaking from the POV of a software engineer this is a totally normal trajectory, especially given their resource constraints. In a system as complex as a TCG rules engine, it's basically impossible to tell how long it's going to take to kill all the bugs, but it is something you can expect to ease over time.

I don't care how long set 4 takes (you can't just look at set 4 and say "it takes them 9 months to develop a set" because there was a fuckload of resources poured into the basic PVE infrastructure that won't need to be built again during that time). If set 5 takes more than 6 months, then I start worrying.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
http://en.hex.gameforge.com/news.html?p=6121

Patch Notes up.

The Dream is dead!

Which is fair enough, deck was unstoppable busted for PVE, but I had fun with it while I could .

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

They seem to have demoted Escalation to no longer be a keyworded ability. I guess having a keyword around for only a single cycle of cards is a bit of a waste, but it still seems kind of strange to remove it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Servers are back up. Most of the Kickstarter PvE cards are in client and granted to players who pledged enough for them now. Spectral Oak and its created cards are in client but not yet granted. There are a few new AAs (Arcane Focus, Lixil, Archon of Nulzann) and a couple new PvE cards in addition to the Kickstarter ones (Zoomshroom, Shroom Party, Symeon's Bounty).

Some of the new PvE cards/equipment are really, really good. Lady Cassandra with gear lets you one-shot reveal her from hand to get DSR thresholds as a quick action. That's absurd.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Thoom posted:

As much as it sucks, speaking from the POV of a software engineer this is a totally normal trajectory, especially given their resource constraints. In a system as complex as a TCG rules engine, it's basically impossible to tell how long it's going to take to kill all the bugs, but it is something you can expect to ease over time.

I don't care how long set 4 takes (you can't just look at set 4 and say "it takes them 9 months to develop a set" because there was a fuckload of resources poured into the basic PVE infrastructure that won't need to be built again during that time). If set 5 takes more than 6 months, then I start worrying.

Just about everything in that sentence of mine you quoted came a week before or after AZ1 was launched, so I'm not accepting that as an excuse. We were already at 6 months when AZ1 came out and they said they are waiting on art and bug fixes.

I think people are misunderstanding my point. Don't use the word "finished" if you have several more months of work to do. Don't say the words "early x-month" unless you could patch the game tomorrow and you are just holding off for other reasons.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 7, 2016

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

katkillad2 posted:

I think people are misunderstanding my point. Don't use the word "finished" if you have several more months of work to do. Don't say the word "early x-month" unless you could patch the game tomorrow and you are just holding off for other reasons.
I pretty much agree with this - unless you can say more specifically what the hold-up is (which is likely to piss off the people involved in that bottleneck) then maybe don't get my hopes up; Like a true masochist I can take it, but totally see why others would get frustrated with that sort of thing

Anyway I'm just patching now (got up early to use some draft tickets before they expire), will have to check out all those PvE cards!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Grim posted:

Anyway I'm just patching now (got up early to use some draft tickets before they expire), will have to check out all those PvE cards!

I got 6k plat out of my 1x extra PVE Kickstarter cards, it's the gift that keeps on giving! Some of the cards have some interesting mechanics, too bad we seem to be missing the equipment.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Wait we are getting extra kickstarter rewards? Or just the long delayed ones?

Still pissed about lotus garden

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

We got 7 KS PVE cards we had been previously promised. I asked about the missing equipment on the forums and someone said they posted on twitter saying, "Some Kickstarter promo cards are now in players' hands, and we're examining if the equipment and the Spectral Oak card are also ready to go." So maybe we are finally getting Spectral Oak?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

wait, what happened with lotus garden? That was like the only reason I went as high as I did in tiers.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Hauki posted:

wait, what happened with lotus garden? That was like the only reason I went as high as I did in tiers.

https://www.hextcg.com/core-system-changes-in-hex/

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Good looking patch. Hopefully no crazy bugs creep up.

RIP Dream Deck. I enjoyed playing you in Frost Ring, attempting to encounter Urunaaz at least once. I recently came across this thread that shows how you can find out just how many Arena runs you've made, along with other stats, and was able to determine I'm sitting around 150 Arena runs now w/o encountering that drat dragon. Haven't even gotten the screen showing you trigger Uru on a failed run.

If you want to see your runs or other stats: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=47062&highlight=Arena

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hauki posted:

Wizards of the Coast hosed it up as part of the lawsuit settlement basically. It's still functionally similar but differently themed / artworked.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Anyone else in the $250 tiers find themselves getting shorted 1 of the new cards? I'm a Dungeon Crawler and according to https://www.hextcg.com/hex-backer-rewards/ I should have 3 of the cards that were added today, but I only have 2 of each.

This actually got me checking the other cards that I received previously and I also only have 2 Princess Cory and 2 of the other AA cards we already received. Is the reward page wrong on the number of those we should receive? I never noticed this until today, as I had completely forgotten about the backer reward's page.

Edit: Went back to the Kickstarter page and it looks like 2 is correct, and maybe they messed up the backer rewards page when updating today. Unless I'm missing something.

Protip fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 8, 2016

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I'd been really missing the free PvE mulligan from campaign in the Arena, but today's patch put that in for Arena too. Very nice. The UI generally feels cleaner and more informative, too.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Protip posted:

Anyone else in the $250 tiers find themselves getting shorted 1 of the new cards? I'm a Dungeon Crawler and according to https://www.hextcg.com/hex-backer-rewards/ I should have 3 of the cards that were added today, but I only have 2 of each.

This actually got me checking the other cards that I received previously and I also only have 2 Princess Cory and 2 of the other AA cards we already received. Is the reward page wrong on the number of those we should receive? I never noticed this until today, as I had completely forgotten about the backer reward's page.

Edit: Went back to the Kickstarter page and it looks like 2 is correct, and maybe they messed up the backer rewards page when updating today. Unless I'm missing something.

King and up get 2 of each and GK+ and Collector get 3 of each. So yea the backer reward page is screwed up.

God of Evil Cows
Feb 23, 2007

Let this be our final battle!

malkav11 posted:

I'd been really missing the free PvE mulligan from campaign in the Arena, but today's patch put that in for Arena too. Very nice. The UI generally feels cleaner and more informative, too.

I'm really hoping that they change PvP to have this mulligan system as well.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
So I came back to this game after a while and have been binging the PvE. This encounter is only a little bit ridiculous with the right deck and the right draw.

Think I might build a Vennen deck for PvP when I amass enough of a collection.

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.
If anyone is looking for a good, relatively cheap, PvP deck, Jeff Hoogland's primer on Azure Cannon was sort of lost in the shuffle since it was released so close to the patch:

https://www.hextcg.com/deck-drilldown/

You can build it without the Reeses and still be competitive, though Reese does add a lot to the deck. Azurefate Sorceress is then the most expensive part, but if you plan on playing then there are a lot of decks that utilize her, and I don't think that's going to change anytime soon.

Here's Chris VanMeter's latest version of the deck for comparison:

http://www.hexmeta.com/deck/5884/show

Does anyone else think the PvE campaign is going to be a colossal failure? It was somewhat interesting when I started, but now that I've gotten through it seems like there are some sorts of decks that just outperform everything else. Really it just comes down to sticking a troop that can grow quickly, and then letting it go to work for you. (Or some other ridiculous strategy, like ImperialGuards spiders below) Once you have a decent collection it's going to be easy to just keep running those decks, and I'm not seeing how they're going to be able to stop that without just imposing rules on the cards you can bring into certain dungeons. ("Your Hunger of the Mountain Gods and Righteous Paladins are too afraid to enter this crypt!")

I think I was hoping for something more like Shandalar, the old Microprose game, where you just had access to the cards in your starter deck and whatever you won over time, not your entire collection at all times. The way it's setup now I just don't see it having enough room to grow and remain interesting, even when you factor in multiplayer battles.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

War Eagle posted:

Does anyone else think the PvE campaign is going to be a colossal failure?

I primarily backed for PVE and I'll say that I'm really glad I got into drafting because my interest in PVE has waned significantly. I wouldn't call the PVE campaign a failure, but aside from a few of the encounters this first part was aimed at new players. Maybe when we finally get raids I might get more interested.

Maybe this is my own personal issue, but it's hard for me to want to use "fun" cards. With my PVP collection I can speed through AZ1 or arena and don't even see the intrigue for something like paying way too much for a slaughtergear deck. I basically used the first week of AZ1 as a plat making opportunity and haven't played it again since release.

I do think they failed at some aspects of PVE, like not having mercs at launch or Spectral Oak.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I think the majority of PVE is probably going to end up being great for Johnny/Timmy type players and kind of dull for Spikes. Which, when you think about it, is about on par with every MMO ever made, kind of by necessity.

It's hard (maybe impossible) to design an AI opponent that's accessible to everyone but still challenges the hardcore min/maxer.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I'm absolutely loving the PvE, myself. It's everything I backed for. Sure, you can break it over your knee pretty trivially if you have a large collection, but that essentially makes it a playground to explore the cool things I can do with all these cool cards. And that's the entire appeal of this sort of game for me.

Competitive play in Magic always seemed to be a rush to the finish line and boring but efficient cards tended to rule the day. Hex's card design is more interesting to me, but I still don't have any particular desire to compete in any constructed format because I'm going to lose to people with more money invested and/or better deckbuilding skills and draft, well..I don't particularly want to pay $7 every time I want to play some Hex, and I want to get to play with those cards more than that one tournament. I do my draft/week because cards, but that's it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Judging by auction house sales figures, the PvE campaign is about as far from a failure as you can possibly get.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zurai posted:

Judging by auction house sales figures, the PvE campaign is about as far from a failure as you can possibly get.

Yeah it's doing its job, raising publicity for the real game.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
PvE is designed for new players, so I deliberately didn't run the most efficient cards for awhile and I had a fun time. Later it became "what is the most efficient deck for this dungeon" and I had fun deckbuilding under the PvE constraints.

So, no, I don't think PvE was a letdown. It didn't have much replayability though, which is an issue if they're going to have 6 months between releases.

God of Evil Cows
Feb 23, 2007

Have the Hex developers released any details on a PvP ladder system? I seem to remember some talk of it around the invitational.

I would love it if they had a ladder system attached to the play random opponent option so that you could do some competitive constructed PvP without having to risk plat on constructed gauntlet. Might not make financial sense for Hex to have a feature like that though.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
They have been very tight-lipped about how they will implement ranking, but is is something they want to have soon - I would like to know what their current thoughts are about implementation but if they announce that stuff they sorta have to announce a more concrete time-frame which they won't hit and then everyone will be pissy

I'm hoping that everything counts for ranking - number of games, results in those games, who those results were against, etc. but also I hope that the "rewards" for that ranking aren't too huge; like the Invitational tickets got you entry into a Qualifier, they didn't give you some kind of prize just for grinding them

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Didn't Cory talk about PVP ladder in that podcast he did a few weeks ago?

Edit:

quote:

Podcast: One of the big things, drawing players in, is of course that big prize of 40.000 dollars or any piece of that pie, making them think that this might be a way for them to maximize their expensed value versus other games they could be playing.
Because certainly are in there for the cash, the big take home. So do you... what does organized play look like after this event? Or is that something you will be announcing eventually?

Cory: Yes, for sure we will be announcing something like that, I hope sooner than later.
Organised play is a big part of the plan for HEX and always has been. We talked about how we are going to move forward, the goal is, and I put that word out there, "goal", is that;

We want to get a ladder and ranking system in the game as soon as possible. It is one of the things that is currently in development and has had a ton of work done to it.
We are having big meetings next week, finalizing some of the interface settlements and reward structures. So we are pretty far along with it and my hope is that it is something we can get done in the near future. And my goal would be that in the future you have this incredible experience with our ladders and ranking system that rewards you at every level of play.

That is one of the big goals for it, is that if you are casual or hardcore there is a way for you to interface with the rankings in a way that gives you a satisfactory experience. So whether that ..uhm... at the lower levels you are getting cool cosmetic stuff in the game, at the higher levels you are winning additional prizes, at the very highest levels you are actually qualifying for the invitational. So in the future, what I would like to do is slightly broaden the number of people we are going to be bringing. Look at the prize pool, increase the prize pool slightly as well, and have half of the people qualify from the ladder system, the ranking system, and half of the people qualify through the invitationals.

Podcast: Wow, that is pretty aggressive ladder work there.

Podcast: Is the qualifier something you gain points from through normal tournament play or is it something more stand alone?

Cory: it is a combination. we want you to feel like any time you are playing in the real PvP component, not the casual, that you will be working on your ranking.

Podcast: That is really interesting. I am excited to see what you will allow with them.

Cory: Yeah, I think it is going to be really fun. I think for the casual-ish person who, wants to get in the kind of competitive side, there will be a nice way to level yourself up and get some reward and have things to strive for.
The point of organized play in TCG's is that aspirational component, where you feel like you are getting progression, in both rewards and also experience, and it is something that I find very gratifying when I played professional level TCG's.

Looking at my ranking was something I took a lot of pride in and absolutely made the experience so much richer and the consequence associated with my play really mean something.
And that is, if you remember when HEX first launched back in alpha, you had all the cards in your collection, so winning or losing, it just did not feel as important. It did not give any sense of consequences, which is where that real excitement comes from. And so I feel like we have a lot of that down in organized play that gives packs out as prizes and everything else.

I think the next step though of feeling I have a ranking, and going up and down in the bracket system, and what is my current level, I think some of that would really give people that sort of deeper more gratifying organised play competitive experience.

Vapor Moon fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 9, 2016

God of Evil Cows
Feb 23, 2007

Just got done playing the Singleton format Wild Cup using a B/D Rutherford Banks deck with a Vampire King I borrowed from Illusionis.

Ended up going 6-2 and taking 18th place (lowest rank of people who went 6-2) due to a first match loss and a match 2 bye causing my tiebreaker to be worthless.

Saw a ton of W/S decks. The two decks I lost to were B/S Kranok control (largely due to flood followed by shard screw the next game) and W/S Wintermoon control (game 3 he went first, played ancestors' chosen turn 1 and ancestral specter turn 2 and then just tempo'd me out).

Surprise MVP of my deck was Gortezuma, who always seemed to show up early and put in some serious work. Won the last game of the tournament after getting mass dingle dongled by resurrecting a previously buffed Gortezuma and buffing him even further by martyring one of my dinglers as a combat trick to blow out his entire board who had decided to block the mighty Gortezuma. Felt good, and made me wish I had a playset of VKs so I could run B/D in normal constructed.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Been away from the game for a while. Would be looking to trade set 1 commons/uncommons for set 2/3 commons/uncommons as I try and fill out playsets. I'm an old King Tier so I'm sitting on LOTS of commons/uncommons from set one, but really need to fill out my set 2/3 commons/uncommons as I was away from the game for most of set 2 and just came back in and it looks like set 3 will be finished soon. So anyone newer to the game needing those old commons/uncommons I'd be happy to hook you up.

Edit: Feel free to PM me here or mail/message me in hex. IGN Fleshmire

Thrawn200
Dec 13, 2008

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin & Hobbes

Here is Stovetop posted:

Been away from the game for a while. Would be looking to trade set 1 commons/uncommons for set 2/3 commons/uncommons as I try and fill out playsets. I'm an old King Tier so I'm sitting on LOTS of commons/uncommons from set one, but really need to fill out my set 2/3 commons/uncommons as I was away from the game for most of set 2 and just came back in and it looks like set 3 will be finished soon. So anyone newer to the game needing those old commons/uncommons I'd be happy to hook you up.

Edit: Feel free to PM me here or mail/message me in hex. IGN Fleshmire

Do you have a list of what you need? I've probably got enough laying around extra to just send you some of them so just shoot me a list in PM or something if you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

Thrawn200 posted:

Do you have a list of what you need? I've probably got enough laying around extra to just send you some of them so just shoot me a list in PM or something if you do.

Here is my current wishlist http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards/wishlist=22630 It covers mainly commons/uncommons though there are a couple rare/legendaries in there. I haven't been working with it too much but I did get all the commons/uncommons i need in there. Looks like most of it is set 2 stuff. Anything you are willing to just send cool, anything you think you might be interested in trading for you can let me know that as well. I haven't worked up a trade list yet but I am working on that as well just a bit time consuming.

Edit: Looks like TCG Browser does have some tools for auto generating wishlists and tradelists. So here

http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards/tradelist=22630 Trade List
http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards/wishlist=22630 Wishlist

Here is Stovetop fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 14, 2016

• Locked thread