Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

So at what tier does the Rus CA line stop sucking? I'm up to tier IV and it still hasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Sperglord Actual posted:

So at what tier does the Rus CA line stop sucking? I'm up to tier IV and it still hasn't.

I thought the Svietlana was ok. Biggest problem is bad range. I thought I would really like the Kirov but wow is it fragile. I feel like the Tachibana could probably stitch a line of citadels across your side.

You know what is awesome? Being in a Tier 9 game where your team has no Tier 9s and they get two Fletchers. Their DDs racked up 8 kills in that one. Ironically our BBs were hanging so far back (10km+ behind the cruisers) that a Fubuki just slipped back there and crushed them with torp walls.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
svietlana is HOT PISS

its me, im sky cancer now

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

svietlana is HOT PISS

You are only getting started. The next tier is the fun tier.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Hazdoc posted:

svietlana is HOT PISS

TBH I wouldn't mind the paper armor if it didn't also fire Nerf darts. :sigh:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Hazdoc posted:

The wonderful thing about sky cancer is that it's actually fun to play as.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

TheDemon posted:

The wonderful thing about sky cancer is that it's actually fun to play as.

The sad part is that you get a birds eye view of how bad your team is at the most mundane stuff. Like, a spotted destroyer running parallel to a friendly battleship and then dies. Friendly battleship takes no action to alter course and eats 5 torpedos letting the destroyer give a final departing kiss.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Blanket PSA: I was made aware of some issues with the server where some lucky victims unlucky goons were having unpleasant experiences. In my continued effort to make this the third 'Happiest Place on Earth!' only behind Walt Disney World and your favorite local stripper bar I contacted support and they suggested changing servers (wdarkk had mentioned this as well) so I did and it seemed to fix his robot voice. Personally I think it was because he changed the batteries in his electrolarynx but who am I to say that. Anyhow, if you are having issues please message me or post something in the #wlp_lobby channel so I can look into it for you and try to resolve things. This is free, there is only so much complaining I can do to Discord but they are good at responding to tickets considering this is free.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Thanks Demon for following up on that.

Lakedaimon posted:

I thought the Svietlana was ok. Biggest problem is bad range. I thought I would really like the Kirov but wow is it fragile. I feel like the Tachibana could probably stitch a line of citadels across your side.

Svietlana was ok; I had some good games in it. It's pop guns did ok against Phoenix's, Omaha's and Kirov's. Against BB's the HE seemed poor and the longish reload made fighting DD's a little tougher. Two torpedo launchers per side weren't bad, but the torpedoes themselves didn't do a ton of damage.

Just started on the Kirov. That thing does have a slow rate of fire with it's 7 inch guns.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm still surprised that you can change what region your instance is in without dropping everyone. Good job on that Discord team.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
There is a one-second momentary lag. I did it while we were one last night and switched us to US West then back to South and no one noticed. I think there were at least four of us in the channel when I did it too. I heard a *beep* but that was it.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

demonR6 posted:

There is a one-second momentary lag. I did it while we were one last night and switched us to US West then back to South and no one noticed. I think there were at least four of us in the channel when I did it too. I heard a *beep* but that was it.

Yeah, it was pretty lag-free on the swap. That was pretty surprising. Hopefully no more robo-wdark.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
The only issue with Discord, is that only a fraction of the people reading and posting here join. I guess they hate winning every game they play.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

jownzy posted:

The only issue with Discord, is that only a fraction of the people reading and posting here join. I guess they hate winning every game they play.

Some of us just don't want to burden anyone with pubbies with our awfulness.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Nonsense playing with goons whether you are good or not should not matter. plenty of helpful people are always welcome. Besides you cannot be worse than some of the shitters we encounter.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I'm kind of the same way in this game as I am in Dota2: I'm either really hot or really cold each game. Some games I'm landing citadel's like a boss, the next game I land 2 shots before I get sunk.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Even if you're not good, it still helps to be in a chat with other people so you can share info and coordinate. I'd rather take somebody who's poo poo at the game but can have a laugh at stuff ingame than a random pubbie.

That said, it does help to have some higher tier boats. Not all goons are willing to do low tier matches, but that's their loss (low tiers are actually the best)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I feel like it's a lot harder to get a high-tier goon game than a low-tier one right now.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

The most popular goon tiers to div in are 3, 5 and 6, and 7. 8, 9, and 10 by a much lesser margin.

ninja edit: that's because these are the most fun tiers :ssh:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Nothing can quite take the desire to continue playing out of you for the night quite like a magazine detonation in a close match.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

If I'm having a bad night botes-wise, I might not voluntarily hop on voice, but someone can always ping me.

Also, if you're not that good, playing with other goons helps you get better.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

So I found out how they do it, and then I beat them at their own game.

I'm kind of disappointed, my last three games were kind of stinkers, I had a rating in the 4,000's before I was struck with evening poo poo lords.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I will never cease to be amazed that AutismSpeaks isn't a sick joke.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I just re-bought the Nagato. Then I saw this weekends specials starting tomorrow. :downs:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Burt posted:

I just re-bought the Nagato. Then I saw this weekends specials starting tomorrow. :downs:

And the blys is back in the premium shop. If you want to machine gun poo poo like a kiev, but have actual torp range, get one.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

JuffoWup posted:

And the blys is back in the premium shop. If you want to machine gun poo poo like a kiev, but have actual torp range, get one.

Are the arcs similar to the kiev? I don't like the idea of needing to level a 15 point captain in one ship...

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

Must buy all the premiums.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Blys's arc is OK but could be better. I like mine.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

I just wish they'd give us premiums that are more useful for captain retraining.

Would you use this over a Benson in ranked games?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Thanks for the tier 6 Kraken last night, wdarkk and akulaz :getin:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

jownzy posted:

I just wish they'd give us premiums that are more useful for captain retraining.

That's my hangup over buying it.

I just wish they'd give the Sims a little love.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

That's my hangup over buying it.

I just wish they'd give the Sims a little love.

They did. Remember when it only had those 5.5km torps?

And iirc, it also got the anti air consumable as well although I think that swaps with engine boost.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm having a hell of a time with the Ryujo so far. Is it better to go with the air superiority or strike loadout? Because superiority isn't working too well for me.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
So I've determined that the Kawachiis guns are like a shotgun that has the same spread as a full blast, but only puts out a couple pellets with each trigger pull.

I also consulted warships today and my play last night was not indicative of how I usually do.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm having a hell of a time with the Ryujo so far. Is it better to go with the air superiority or strike loadout? Because superiority isn't working too well for me.

I played a strike Ryujo for pretty much my entire time with it and it loving owned. That said I've had a lot more fun playing American carriers lately than Japanese, all the recent changes have benefited them more.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Hahahahaha, bonus 2x xp for your first win with each ship. Take out my Kongo I'm trying to get high enough to buy a Fuso. Put on the camo to increase XP as well as the bonus XP Signal. I'm like the second death on my team, total XP after all the bonuses? 2,200. Totally awesome use of all the bonuses.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

The secondaries on the Warspite are decent and can do some serious work sometimes if you fit the secondary range/accuracy upgrade.

And lol I somehow did 150k damage in the Soviet Lana. I'm really not a fan of this ship or the Bogatyr.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

jownzy posted:

The Blys is nothing like a Benson. You're better off comparing it to a Kiev or Tashkent, in which it is.. fairly similar. The Lo Yang is the premium you want if you want a Benson replacement, as it literally is a Benson, just with different torps and HYDROACOUSTIC SEARCH ON A DD

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

They did. Remember when it only had those 5.5km torps?

And iirc, it also got the anti air consumable as well although I think that swaps with engine boost.

You get the option of Nicholas torpedoes or ~9km, very slow, very anemic torpedoes; coupled with moon shot shell arcs, it's tough ship, I think. I usually just try to go for cap circles and targets of opportunity.

Almost unlocked the Yorck, but I think I'm going to miss the Nuremburg. I've had some good games in it.

Killed a Tirpitz with flooding.

Just unlocked the Fuso as well. Fuso makes BB driving enjoyable. I did free XP into Hull B and the better engine.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Hazdoc posted:

The Blys is nothing like a Benson. You're better off comparing it to a Kiev or Tashkent, in which it is.. fairly similar. The Lo Yang is the premium you want if you want a Benson replacement, as it literally is a Benson, just with different torps and HYDROACOUSTIC SEARCH ON A DD

I just meant would it reign supreme in ranked... would I have a reason to take it over a Benson.