Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Cake Attack posted:

you're in the tiny senpai club

it's the best club

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

wanna ride that horse

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you do get to ride horses

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You even get to get sick of riding horses

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Regy Rusty posted:

I didn't. :colbert:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I have a confession to make.

I thought tiny senpai was only okay.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh god, there's ruins which change their layout mysteriously? And they contain warp points at set intervals? Did I just find the tartarus? I had the impression that the game was only kinda Persona-feeling because of the setting and such, but it turns out this game is literally Persona 3 with a different battle system.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Amppelix posted:

Oh god, there's ruins which change their layout mysteriously? And they contain warp points at set intervals? Did I just find the tartarus? I had the impression that the game was only kinda Persona-feeling because of the setting and such, but it turns out this game is literally Persona 3 with a different battle system.

I had the exact same reaction.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Tocs seems like it's fun as a game to play and might have things happen at a reasonable pace. I wouldn't really compare it to p3/4.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Hivac posted:

Tocs seems like it's fun as a game to play and might have things happen at a reasonable pace. I wouldn't really compare it to p3/4.

P3/4 don't end with a huge cliffhanger though.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I thought I was ready going in to that chapter, but I was not

not at all

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Amppelix posted:

To be fair, they only change "In Story"

It's the exact same dungeon in every playthrough, it's just that the mystery is all about finding out why you have an old schoolhouse that builds more floors for itself every month, full of puzzles and monsters.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hivac posted:

I'm a huge fan of Persona 3 so it's not like it actually bothers me. There isn't enough Persona in the world yet as far as I'm concerned. I even like exploring the tartarus in a mindless fun sort of way, so now I'm kind of disappointed the ruins aren't an actual tartarus clone.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Hi folks

Well this is just my second ever post (my first was hilarious, and yes it was in the SC LP thread)
(And yes, I actually joined the forums because of SC, though I have been aware of it's existence for...I believe 5 years now?)

So guys, I just spent the last five hours of my life going through this entire thread (man that's long), I can't imagine how long it'd take me to go through the threads on the marvy forums.

I think I might have some of the lower playtimes for Sky FC and SC (I don't own a vita nor a PS3 so CS is unfortunately out of my reach. It might change if I can save some money up)
For FC, I managed to get a 100% run on my first playthrough (It wasn't blind, for what it's worth), skipping ~95-99% of the storyline (I already read them in Cake Attack's LP), clocked 35 hours.
Ironically I only noticed I was missing one weapon right before the final boss. Turns out it was the laundry pole in the Bose Market. Luckily I did have a stash of saves.
Currently my completed SC file is sitting at 45 hours after the final boss. (It's not blind either, welp) I'm missing four achievements (Gambling, though I have all 14 books, Fishing, Anton and Chests, of which the latter two I was told are still bugged)
[I estimate that I spent about maybe 5 hours grinding in FC and 5-10 hours grinding in SC, though I noticed I spent a bit more time grinding in the earlygame than the lategame...possibly]

So in general, I was hoping that you kind folks would be able to help me with "a few" questions

1: Does anyone have any advice on how to approach the fishing achievement? I'm worried I'll run out of bait. I have plenty of saves in Chapter 8 for what it's worth.
2: It's probably a bit more straightforward, but how do I achieve the last two for the gambling achievement?
3: I guess it might depend, but what is, if any, the "general consensus" for the order of playing the Ys games? I have all that are available on steam right now
4: Zero/Azure Spoilers How does the orbment system work in Zero/Azure? I suppose it's not too complicated... perhaps
5: Minor spoiler, but in general, how do people feel about the orbment systems? As in, for example, do you prefer the Sky or Cold Steel one?
6: For Sky FC, SC, and Third (though I understand discussion about Third is spoilery), given what we know, is there a "general consensus" on which orbments are the best, and which are the "less awesome" ones?
7: This might be a silly question, is there a 100% complete guide for Third anywhere?
8: This would be big spoilers, does anyone know the layout of the orbments for the new characters in Third.?

I think I might have said too much though. Cheers?
(Of course I'm sincerely hoping that I haven't broken any rules with this post)

Misc Rambling below

Played on normal all the time.
Basically I grinding on shining poms like an idiot the moment I could. I got three sets of quartz for Shadow Spear and Hell Gate, tore through Chap 1. Chap 2, I grinded out three Action 2 and Cast 2, ripped the rest of the game into pieces. I stashed an Aero Storm for the AOE in Chap 4 though, and Earth Wall spam trivialized any "tough" fights. Lorence was modestly challenging. I refought him twice for the fun of it, the latter two tries, I didn't use earth wall, but the strategy for nightmare I copied from youtube made it quite easy. Final boss lost to Earth Wall spam. I was Level 41 because I had to spend an hour grinding the 3000 sepith for the achievement because I am a completionist. (Which really irks me that the achievements are bugged for SC)
I did refight the final boss without earth wall, all he managed to do was get a single death rage before I pounded him into submission.

On SC, it was mostly aerials and hell gate. Most of the game was a blur for me, even boss fights. I do know I was using clock down and clock up ex from chap 1 though, a bit of a pain.
I probably spent like, 1-2 hours just grinding in Chap 2, and 2-4 hours in Chap 7 alone. Chap 5 and 6 were no slouches either. Agate tore through most of the game, I never touched Zane except for the tower. Loewe actually killed me twice (I was 91/91/87/89 using Tita and Kloe) before I lucked out on the third try. Not unsurprisingly, my rematch (I did use earth wall) went slightly smoother. The final boss just dragged on, but it might have been because I was spamming arts when physical attacks did more and/or faster damage, which I learnt when he was nearly dead. I also did a no earth wall no s craft run of renne and the final boss, it was interesting to say the least (Godly Lance Innana ko'd Tita and Kloe from full health which was annoying)

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

MisawaMahoKodomo posted:

4: Zero/Azure Spoilers How does the orbment system work in Zero/Azure? I suppose it's not too complicated... perhaps
5: Minor spoiler, but in general, how do people feel about the orbment systems? As in, for example, do you prefer the Sky or Cold Steel one?
6: For Sky FC, SC, and Third (though I understand discussion about Third is spoilery), given what we know, is there a "general consensus" on which orbments are the best, and which are the "less awesome" ones?

4. Ok. Zero is the same as the Sky games. I won't explain that. The only big thing is they redid the magic so you had wind healing and such. Ao/Azure: has master quartz added onto the setup of the sky-style Orbment. If you max them out, you can cast these special spells that have buffing effects.

5. I honestly prefer the Sky-style as opposed to the Cold Steel one. But I do like that I don't feel obligated to bring a party of casters anymore as I did in FC/SC.

6. I remember a wiki I checked for a couple things. I could find it if you really wanted (it's in Japanese of course), that had everyone's stats, but this really isn't a problem. The 3rd expects you to use everyone, and is balanced so you can appreciate people better. Tita gets buffed for example, plus I felt a lot of the doors gave me a chance to use people and realize "Hey, these guys have some really nice moves." I still brought Renne for the final boss because I really loved that one line without requirements.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

really looking forward to knocking jusis and machias's heads together

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

lets hang out posted:

really looking forward to knocking jusis and machias's heads together

Don't know where you're at (mid chapter 2's field day here), but drat if that's not true.

Also I so far prefer Cold Steel's combat/orbment to Sky's.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I prefered Sky's combat orbments to Steel's. I liked the fact that even my non-casters could often use a healing art (even if it wasn't a top-tier one) in a pinch and that I didn't have to choose between low-tier attack spells and high-tier attack spells, getting the latter also meant getting the former. (though frankly due to the way the damage for arts is calculated, low-tier spells are better than high-tier spells anyway)

For the PC Ys games, I'd play them Ys 1, Ys 2, Ark of Napishtim, Oath in Felghana, Ys Origin. That's kind of the order in which they were released and Falcom gradually irons out gameplay imbalances as the series goes on. Ys Origin also contains quite a few references that you'll recognize if you played Ys1/Ys2/Ark of Napishtim earlier.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

The Old Ruins are better than tartarus, imo. For one thing getting to pick your party is fun when the game is otherwise always picking it for you, and it's only 2-3 floors per run and not the ten or so Tartarus made you do.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

The Old Ruins are better than tartarus, imo. For one thing getting to pick your party is fun when the game is otherwise always picking it for you, and it's only 2-3 floors per run and not the ten or so Tartarus made you do.

Probably the overwhelming majority of humanity hold this opinion and I totally see why, but I am actually a huge fan of the Tartarus. I don't entirely understand why, but I really like going on a massive 20-floor Tartarus run and kinda mindlessly pushing through, half paying attention. So I'm actually slightly disappointed that the ruins aren't just literally the tartarus. But only very slightly. It's good that the game isn't just a clone of the other game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Is Elliot's Resounding Beat as ridiculously OP as it seems like up until the end of the game (or do some unseen factors pop up that limit its power)? Heals 120% of everyone's health over four turns and gives defense up? You barely need other healing when this kid is around!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Is Elliot's Resounding Beat as ridiculously OP as it seems like up until the end of the game (or do some unseen factors pop up that limit its power)? Heals 120% of everyone's health over four turns and gives defense up? You barely need other healing when this kid is around!

Elliot's Rounding Beat remains excellent but it gets overshadowed by item use and other spells later on.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Amppelix posted:

Resounding Beat is one of the reasons I like having Elliot in my party whenever possible.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Holy poo poo, I was randomly watching a video of the opening of cold steel, and when the control explanation came up I noticed something. This game has a run button! R1 isn't useless! :downs:

Only 20 hours of gameplay to discover that.

Specto
Jun 28, 2010
It could be worse. You could discover it halfway through a NG+ like I did :downs:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

cold steel ch2 he just calls himself Blueblanc? Really????

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok, I have to take a bit of an issue with how it seems to be a plot point that Emma has mysterious magical powers. This might work in some other fantasy, but in this specific one literally every single character has mysterious magical powers! If they wanted her mysterious nature to be a thing couldn't they have at least picked something which isn't easily replicated with the existing magic system in place? Like oh no, she mysteriously healed Rean's wound! Uh, like Rean himself did just in that battle five minutes ago?

Well, it's only a bit silly, but it did make me write a ranty post about it so I guess it bothered me quite a bit.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah but pretty much everyone else is using orbments to do so which are Science in the setting

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Orbments aren't magic, they're science. She healed him without using an orbment.

It'd be like if someone shot a bullet at you without using a gun. Sure, you could replicate that using a gun, but that dude is still clearly a wizard.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

But like, can you tell when people are using orbments? To me it seems like you just gesture vaguely and spells come out.

I guess it just might be a detail the game isn't showing us.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the OVA and various manga tend to portray it as them holding out their orbment and (in the OVA) drawing a line along the appropriate quartz with their fingers

also saying the name of the spell but that's just appropriate dramatic flair

e: I think you actually see them holding it up in the casting animations in Sky at least. You definitely do for some of them.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 9, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the characters have orbments on their person, the orbment glows

it definitely isn't whispering an incanatation

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Zero EVO's opening has Tio waving hers around to cast.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Did Bleublanc throw in his enforcer's towel after SC and become just a plain old weirdo thief? Am I even supposed to know that? I think it was left deliberately ambiguous in SC but there's some games between that and this, isn't there.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Amppelix posted:

Did Bleublanc throw in his enforcer's towel after SC and become just a plain old weirdo thief? Am I even supposed to know that? I think it was left deliberately ambiguous in SC but there's some games between that and this, isn't there.

When you meet him in Cold Steel, it's not essential to know that he's a Phantom Thief and Ouroboros Enforcer. To the Kiseki newbie, he's just a slightly suspicious eccentric. But the developers know that most players will instantly recognize him as Number X. As for him throwing in the towel, stay tuned. :)

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

He's still Orouboros, but his phantom thief shtick is almost never related to their main operations and usually just him loving around until an operation starts.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Well, for what it's worth, I'm currently compiling and translating (using my limited knowledge of japanese) the information from this website (mostly for my own use really)
I presume it's correct though, but you never know. Plus there might be some changes on the english end.
In all honesty Sky Third is still quite far from now, but what can I say....

I recall seeing a list of quartz translated, I think on Gamefaqs, but I think most of the stuff is straightforward enough...I think.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I've got some misgivings with Rean. All the other main characters are comfortably shifted out of their respective stereotypes enough to form actual interesting people, but he's stuck playing the Boring Everyman Protagonist and also the Mysterious Dark Past Protagonist simultaneously. When neither angle is very interesting to begin with combining the two doesn't really improve on it at all. Especially the dark past part seems super uninteresting as far as what I've seen. He basically just checks some boxes. Adopted. Flashbacks (to be fair these are obviously not related to his actual dark past but they still fit the bill extremely well). Mysterious Sensations. Meaningful Scar. Hiding His True Power.

I'm pretty much actively uninterested in anything going on with him, except for his relations to other, interesting characters. The game hasn't been that bad about following the tropes to a T so I still have hope that these story beats don't lead to their inevitable cliched conclusions and Rean manages to pull an actually interesting character out of his rear end eventually but even if that does happen, the game's just been wasting time getting there.

I understand that they wanted to do a bit of the Persona-style "The character is you!" thing which causes some of his boringess, but I don't think that style works very well here and also I haven't ever liked that approach much anyway.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
I was surprised by how quickly I turned from Lukewarm to Interested in Rean's character at like 90% through the plot. It sucks to say that you just have to wait for it to get better, because in most contexts that's not an excusable counter-argument, but I guess that's why it's a good thing that there's so many other better characters to bounce off him in the meantime.

I'm going through Ys Origin right now, and I'm pretty sure I'm almost done playing through the game as Yunica. Would I be missing out on anything if I were to just, like, Youtube the stories for the other playable characters? This is my first Ys game, and it's fun, but I would rather move on instead of replaying through the same thing two more times on easy mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rean is great and I liked him from the beginning, to be honest. He's got some good interactions with the other characters, he's likable and tbh looking at a character as a collection of boxes to tick is a pretty lame way of looking at fiction, since every character is gonna tick a ton of boxes, and it doesn't matter if the conclusions are cliche so long as they're executed well.