Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Cicero posted:

Yeah, I'll take this bet. :toxx: there'll be a publicly available self-driving car that can handle a majority of car trips for your average person in the states with no human intervention* within 10 years.

* beyond obvious setup type things like telling it where to go, maybe some state info relevant to where it's legal to park (e.g. whether you have a handicapped placard), etc.

edit: now to add this to my calendar. Hope google calendar and gmail both still exist 10 years from now.

Define "can". Who cares about "can"?

I think self-driving cars "can" do lots of things in 10 years except broadly impact the market or really shake up transportation in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Cicero posted:

Yeah, I'll take this bet. :toxx: there'll be a publicly available self-driving car that can handle a majority of car trips for your average person in the states with no human intervention* within 10 years.

* beyond obvious setup type things like telling it where to go, maybe some state info relevant to where it's legal to park (e.g. whether you have a handicapped placard), etc.

edit: now to add this to my calendar. Hope google calendar and gmail both still exist 10 years from now.

I legitimately don't see this happening in 10 years. Taking the over on this one. :toxx:

Now, on another transportation subject much closer to this thread's heart, there's a new women-only rideshare service coming out. Their press-release goes hard against Uber, too: Here's Why Women Everywhere Will Delete Uber On April 19.

Every post I've seen sharing this article on Facebook has degenerated into weird hostile #notallmen / #yesallmen gender poo poo, but one interesting thing this brings up is that Uber basically has no "moat". Other than the matter of scale, there isn't much to keep other copycat services (with more specific targeting) from popping up to eat into their market share. Most drivers already drive for both Uber and Lyft, grabbing rides from whichever app happens to ping them first. I wouldn't be surprised if every driver for this service does the same thing and just runs it along with Uber and Lyft.

In fact, Uber's scale could actually be helpful to these competitors, because Uber will have created a pool of drivers in each market who can add on driving for this service for essentially no extra cost to them. That will make driver recruitment, probably one of the hardest hurdles for such a service, much easier.

I wonder if the VCs who managed to give Uber its $62.5 billion valuation considered that.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

e_angst posted:

I legitimately don't see this happening in 10 years. Taking the over on this one. :toxx:

Now, on another transportation subject much closer to this thread's heart, there's a new women-only rideshare service coming out. Their press-release goes hard against Uber, too: Here's Why Women Everywhere Will Delete Uber On April 19.

Every post I've seen sharing this article on Facebook has degenerated into weird hostile #notallmen / #yesallmen gender poo poo, but one interesting thing this brings up is that Uber basically has no "moat". Other than the matter of scale, there isn't much to keep other copycat services (with more specific targeting) from popping up to eat into their market share. Most drivers already drive for both Uber and Lyft, grabbing rides from whichever app happens to ping them first. I wouldn't be surprised if every driver for this service does the same thing and just runs it along with Uber and Lyft.

In fact, Uber's scale could actually be helpful to these competitors, because Uber will have created a pool of drivers in each market who can add on driving for this service for essentially no extra cost to them. That will make driver recruitment, probably one of the hardest hurdles for such a service, much easier.

I wonder if the VCs who managed to give Uber its $62.5 billion valuation considered that.

Uber's biggest advantage at this point is network effects. These are what make Uber so convenient and fast. Guess what the downfall of an app that has only women drivers (about 15% of drivers, but probably well below that in terms of rides/miles driven) will be?

Oh yeah, they also have all of Uber's regulatory problems, plus additional ones related to (explicit) discrimination, and none of the VC dollars necessary to fight them.

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 9, 2016

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Yeah, that's wrong. The thing you have to understand about Uber is that it's a two sided platform. It not only has to attract enough drivers to service demand, it also has to attract enough riders to deliver enough fairs for it to be worth those driver's time. If either side is not in equilibrium, the platform fails.

Because starting and growing a two sided platform is so hard, this is actually the kind of business where network effects are the strongest. There's a kind of virtuous cycle if you do it right where more drivers leads to better service which leads to more fares which attracts more drivers. Conversely, if a platform with that kind of network already exists in an industry, it becomes very hard for a competitor to gain a foothold, because the experience is going to be demonstrably worse for both sides in the beginning.

The exception is if the new platform has some sort of tech or feature that allows it to provide such a better service that it's really not the same kind of platform anymore. But if it's just commodity tech against commodity tech, the bigger network always wins.

Don't get me wrong, Uber has real problems. But getting competed or of existence by a bunch of scrub companies is not one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
theyre gonna DISRUPT DRIVING

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Baby Babbeh posted:

Yeah, that's wrong. The thing you have to understand about Uber is that it's a two sided platform. It not only has to attract enough drivers to service demand, it also has to attract enough riders to deliver enough fairs for it to be worth those driver's time. If either side is not in equilibrium, the platform fails.

Because starting and growing a two sided platform is so hard, this is actually the kind of business where network effects are the strongest. There's a kind of virtuous cycle if you do it right where more drivers leads to better service which leads to more fares which attracts more drivers. Conversely, if a platform with that kind of network already exists in an industry, it becomes very hard for a competitor to gain a foothold, because the experience is going to be demonstrably worse for both sides in the beginning.

The exception is if the new platform has some sort of tech or feature that allows it to provide such a better service that it's really not the same kind of platform anymore. But if it's just commodity tech against commodity tech, the bigger network always wins.

Don't get me wrong, Uber has real problems. But getting competed or of existence by a bunch of scrub companies is not one.

But what I'm saying is that some of the scrubs can basically borrow Uber's network effect because the only thing drivers have to do is download one more app to run while out driving (this is why, as I mentioned, pretty much every driver I know does both Uber and Lyft). The cost for the driver to be part of this is low so even if they only end up with one or two extra fares a night, it could be worth it. (Especially in areas where the number of drivers is very high.) How popular the service is with riders is definitely an important question, but I know I've seen the article I linked shared a lot among my female friends on Facebook.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Konstantin posted:

I agree, simply because there is too much money to be made. Forget personal cars, the real money is in driverless semi trucks, taxis, shuttles, buses, delivery trucks, and other fleet vehicles. Getting humans out of the driver's seat would massively reduce transportation and shipping costs, and the big companies that stand to gain from it can push the relevant laws through.

This is true, but at the same time, subway and train drivers. I mean, if we still haven't automated something that's basically a car trip that always go through the same path, with mostly the same obstacles I can't see us getting rid of truck drivers in 10 years.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr. Nemo posted:

This is true, but at the same time, subway and train drivers. I mean, if we still haven't automated something that's basically a car trip that always go through the same path, with mostly the same obstacles I can't see us getting rid of truck drivers in 10 years.

A lot of those drivers are there for liability reasons.

Which is probably what will happen when we do get true driverless vehicles.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

computer parts posted:

Which then becomes a question of "Why have a driverless big rig if it has to have a driver in it anyway?" :iiam:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Truck convoys. 1 driver in the front truck and ten trucks without drivers that follow it. This Wednesday a Dutch government challenge to demonstrate a similar tech was succesfully completed. They had trucks from several brands follow each other very closely and brake/accelerate synchronized.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/07/convoy-self-driving-trucks-completes-first-european-cross-border-trip

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Truck convoys. 1 driver in the front truck and ten trucks without drivers that follow it. This Wednesday a Dutch government challenge to demonstrate a similar tech was succesfully completed. They had trucks from several brands follow each other very closely and brake/accelerate synchronized.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/07/convoy-self-driving-trucks-completes-first-european-cross-border-trip

So trains.

They're trains.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Land-trains thank you kindly.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

cheese posted:

Which then becomes a question of "Why have a driverless big rig if it has to have a driver in it anyway?" :iiam:

This is kind of what I was going for. And the answer I've read is "safety measures". Human drivers are obviously not perfect, and neither are driveless vehicles. But you couls combine part of both systems. And have a driver based vehicle have some advanced collision detection software, where it allows a computer to react to certain situations, quicker than a human could. Or maybe the opposite, which means the human is there to take over in case of an emergency, kind of like trains and subways. But this just results in increased hardware costs which in turn increases delivery costs. Sure, you could end up with less dead people, but that doesn't improve the bottom line.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Mr. Nemo posted:

We already do have automated trains in some places: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automated_urban_metro_subway_systems#Grade_of_Automation_4_Systems

One issue that metro systems in the US have is that the US just tends to underinvest in transit in general, combine that with union resistance and it's not surprising that our automated trains are just in little niches.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

computer parts posted:

This is effectively the case for parts of the London Underground / Docklands Light Railway. Under normal operations drivers aren't pushing stop / go, however they are operating doors, monitoring passengers and are required to take over if anything goes wrong. (They're also pretty strongly unionised.)

Part of the Underground's issue is that a substantial chunk of its tunnels are really closely intertwined with the cables, pipes and foundations of the city. This means that most lines don't have any kind of escapeway and there's zero possibility of expanding tunnels to add them. If a train failed between stations you'd absolutely need a person able to get there to guide passengers to safety, and right now having that person be the driver is the easiest solution to that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Peztopiary posted:

Land-trains thank you kindly.

As opposed to...sky-trains?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

The sf trains and busses are always failing in minor ways. The driver will just come and do some minor fix. Without people to do that the system would poo poo a brick.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Liquid Communism posted:

Automated cars are a joke, and will be no closer to public adoption 10 years ago than they are now because they flatly aren't capable of fulfilling many of the jobs vehicles are used for, and are another high maintenance component with a strong liklihood of a malfunction killing drive/passenger/bystanders.

You are 100% wrong on this. I have talked with product planners from the Big 3 US Automakers and they all plan on having a high-end self-driving car for 2020, and expect the technology to be throughout their product lines by 2025.

Self-driving cars will be like the iPhone, they will break the logjam and the technology will be everywhere very quickly, leaving people wondering how they ever lived without it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

on the left posted:

You are 100% wrong on this. I have talked with product planners from the Big 3 US Automakers and they all plan on having a high-end self-driving car for 2020, and expect the technology to be throughout their product lines by 2025.

When you say "self-driving car" do you mean level 4 autonomy? I'm an autonomous vehicle booster for sure, but that seems pretty aggressive.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

When you say "self-driving car" do you mean level 4 autonomy? I'm an autonomous vehicle booster for sure, but that seems pretty aggressive.

Tesla's autonomous driving functions are level 2 by the way. Several manufacturers will release level 3 autonomous driving cars in a few years.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Like what someone said earlier, maybe this will be a thing in Europe because they don't use trains for shipping cargo, but this is incredibly inefficient in the US.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Tesla's autonomous driving functions are level 2 by the way. Several manufacturers will release level 3 autonomous driving cars in a few years.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the Tesla ones. A few years from now is 2019. I think there's a big gap between 3 and 4 in terms of edge case handling, which will take more than a year to sort out.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Also that might be considered a convoy which is illegal in most states iirc

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Mercy sakes alive.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

moller posted:

Mercy sakes alive.

:golfclap: It seems to me that long autonomous convoys are a safety hazard anyway, because of the crazy things the car drivers will do to get around the large blob in the right lane (and probably driving slowly, for braking's sake.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If they have to drive slowly, the whole thing is useless. But I don't think they will, because the effective reaction time for the following trucks is zero, so they can stop as fast as the lead truck at any time.

Prof. Moriarty
Dec 6, 2003
Not the regular Professor Moriarty, the hologram Professor Moriarty where the holodeck malfunctioned and he created the whole fake hologram enterprise and fooled the Captain. Oh, and he tried to escape with his girlfriend once, but he was foiled.
A friend of a friend just launched his start-up. I feel a little guilty for posting it here because he seems like a nice enough guy and is super enthusiastic about this launch. But...

my happy plates: Let us send you a 'curated' meal plan. Includes paleo and smoothie plans. Plans as low as $5/month!

It's a list of recipes with the combined shopping list for the week. That's it. It promises to allow you to spend "less time searching Pinterest for recipes, more time snuggled up with the family."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If he varies them and keeps them simple, has some seasonal stuff, I could see people paying $5/mo for it. Then he does an Instacart tie in for one-click delivery of everything you need for the week!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Meal plans/shopping list subscriptions aren't a new thing. They're not even that bad of an idea. I think I might do one if I was a stay at home parent and thus had more time to cook.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

If a driver is controlling eleven trucks they deserve eleven times their regular pay.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Unguided posted:

If a driver is controlling eleven trucks they deserve eleven times their regular pay.

This, but unironically.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Cicero posted:

Meal plans/shopping list subscriptions aren't a new thing. They're not even that bad of an idea. I think I might do one if I was a stay at home parent and thus had more time to cook.

Yeah it's not my thing, but it basically sounds like Plated or Blue Apron without the massive supply chain

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Prof. Moriarty posted:

A friend of a friend just launched his start-up. I feel a little guilty for posting it here because he seems like a nice enough guy and is super enthusiastic about this launch. But...

my happy plates: Let us send you a 'curated' meal plan. Includes paleo and smoothie plans. Plans as low as $5/month!

It's a list of recipes with the combined shopping list for the week. That's it. It promises to allow you to spend "less time searching Pinterest for recipes, more time snuggled up with the family."

There are a whole lot of these. I even just made up an outline for a curated meal app about an hour ago.

It's actually a pretty good idea because the number one issue people have is not eating right, and the number one reason why they don't eat right is that they don't know what's right to eat. It's just such a simple idea that there's a bunch of competition.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
It also seems like churn rate would be awful though

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lancemantis posted:

It also seems like churn rate would be awful though

food for thought

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Prof. Moriarty posted:

So he's doing a CookSmarts clone that's a few bucks cheaper per month. Not a terrible idea, as it has obviously worked out for them.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Seems risky, some competitor could start offering "free" meal plans, trying to edge out the competition by focusing their entire business plan around Amazon referrals. Worse yet, suppose Amazon themselves caught on to the idea and started suggesting recipes to push premade grocery lists.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

on the left posted:

Self-driving cars will be like the iPhone, they will break the logjam and the technology will be everywhere very quickly, leaving people wondering how they ever lived without it.

poo poo, I'd take that bet.

If they solved the case handling in the next ten minutes it'd take at least 5 years to clear the legal hurdles that will come with the question of who is actually responsible for the car's behavior once the first one kills someone.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Not really, the manufacturers will probably set up a trade group and buy or partner with a large insurance company, passing the costs onto the end user. It might be a bit more complicated if the car had both automatic and manual modes, as there would probably need to be seperate insurance for each mode, and a definite way of proving what mode the car was in at any given time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Liquid Communism posted:

If they solved the case handling in the next ten minutes it'd take at least 5 years to clear the legal hurdles that will come with the question of who is actually responsible for the car's behavior once the first one kills someone.

This is actually a somewhat solved problem. Volvo, for example, has already just said that they'll take responsibility directly for accidents involving any sort of autonomous mode in their cars. If self-driving cars ever become commonplace, it's going to be because manufacturers are confident enough in their systems to just accept full liability and bypass the need for complex legislation.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 10, 2016