Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

NotAnArtist posted:

I wish I better understood what would trigger it. I've left ammo or health tokens in rooms and they are taken or they are not, and the notes left behind are just plain rude haha.

Basically he eats things that you can (almost) always take but might want to backtrack for if you could - ammo, armor, active items. But he doesn't eat things that you either can't always take (health) or have no reason not to take (blanks/keys).

The one weird thing there is guns, which the rat eats but don't really fit in those categories.

I think he's just there to stop backtracking. Otherwise players would do things like leave all the armor on the ground and then pick it up right before the boss fight, or drop the marine's ammo pack for a better item but come back to use it right before leaving the level. That sort of stuff happens a lot in Isaac and I guess the devs wanted to discourage that kind of "optimal but kind of boring" backtracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009

NotAnArtist posted:

I wish I better understood what would trigger it. I've left ammo or health tokens in rooms and they are taken or they are not, and the notes left behind are just plain rude haha.

Health never gets taken, but ammo and other items seem to get stolen soon after you leave the room, or the item scrolls off screen. Not 100% sure, but he doesn't appear if you're close to the item.

If you find a chest room and leave the item on the ground you can see him appear by walking out and just around the corner so the room darkens. He'll show up a second later to steal but you can shoot to scare him away, but since he has a shield so you can hit him, and he doesn't set off proxies so I'm not sure if he can even be killed. I was hoping he was something like the leprechaun from Crypt of the Necrodancer but it seems like he exists just to gently caress the player up.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I imagine something will happen when you've given him enough stuff/a specific combination of stuff.

Anyone know if something special happens when you get the entire Tabla Sutra in one run?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I AM BRAWW posted:

Yeah, the "Basic Enemies from Floor 1 Show up on The Follower Floors but with their Health Increased!!" is poor gameplay design.

Have you ever played a video game before because if not this happens in almost every one of them

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Have you ever played a video game before because if not this happens in almost every one of them

It's poor gameplay design in a game where your only actual source of "infinite" ammo is from your starting pistol. Having to waste "good" ammo on boring enemies from floor 1 sucks.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

CJacobs posted:

It's kind of lame though when there are upgraded versions of those enemies. Instead of scaling up HP just replace more and more of the basic guys with upgraded ones.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's kind of lame though when there are upgraded versions of those enemies. Instead of scaling up HP just replace more and more of the basic guys with upgraded ones.

The upgraded versions actually all have different firing and bullet patterns, as well as other things. There are no upgraded mobs that are simply reskins with more Hp. That's why they just scale up the original ones.
It would probably be harder to notice if they had different models, like most other games do, though.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Has anyone seen this yet? From a secret room - the first non-useless secret room I`ve found. This is the first floor and I have no option to give them anything

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I think The Scrambler might be better than the sling for boss killing weapons. Not only do you not need to charge it, the bullets home in on enemies. One egg from the scrambler seems to do the same damage as one sling bullet too.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Guns. The answer was, they wanted guns.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Got in a really nice run where I made it all the way to the Forge for the first time, clearing the Hollow in one try (part of that was because I had like 5 blanks for the Wallmonger). The Iron Maiden + double hammer room is rough,

Also I have to say that the Megahand is really rapidly becoming my favorite weapon -- it uses one ammo even when charged, and easily one-shots most enemies even down to the Forge. It's not a great boss weapon, but lets you conserve ammo for them really efficiently.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

I AM BRAWW posted:

Yeah, the "Basic Enemies from Floor 1 Show up on The Follower Floors but with their Health Increased!!" is poor gameplay design.

Especially since (afaik) you must clear every room you enter. I'm really missing the BoI bomb escape option.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

parthenocarpy posted:

Has anyone seen this yet? From a secret room - the first non-useless secret room I`ve found. This is the first floor and I have no option to give them anything

Huh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCDIv2VsKJE

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Especially since (afaik) you must clear every room you enter. I'm really missing the BoI bomb escape option.

There's an escape rope item that lets you ditch a room you don't like.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Does it let you bypass a room, or do you just end up having to try a second time?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I think it puts you back in the room you came from. So... not as good as Isaac door-bombing.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

parthenocarpy posted:

Hey, those witches show up in the launch trailer for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYpSoiNdrZw

...Speaking of which, I wish I could understand the lyrics better, it's a catchy song.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lakbay posted:

I think The Scrambler might be better than the sling for boss killing weapons. Not only do you not need to charge it, the bullets home in on enemies. One egg from the scrambler seems to do the same damage as one sling bullet too.

The Scrambler is insane, getting one on the second floor let me kill Ammoconda and Cannonbalrog for the first time without knowing either of their patterns. Wallmonger wrecked my poo poo though, I don't even know how far I got on the health bar because I just shut down with all the patterns coming towards me.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Can anyone tell me how on earth I'm supposed to solve this room? There's a prisoner in the room below me and I've completely explored the level save for the boss. The key for their cell has to be in this room but I have no clue how to solve it.

http://imgur.com/cVmV3Qr

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Blackray Jack posted:

Can anyone tell me how on earth I'm supposed to solve this room? There's a prisoner in the room below me and I've completely explored the level save for the boss. The key for their cell has to be in this room but I have no clue how to solve it.

the key drops somewhere on the floor, if you haven't found it in a room then the boss should drop it

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Blackray Jack posted:

Jump from your minecart to that other minecart. The key isn't there though. You'll get it from the boss.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

The sticky crossbow was the best weapon I've ever used. Killed the bullet twins in like 30s

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
I can't believe I won. Finished the last fight with only one hit left.

So I'm guessing I need to get all those components to get the "real" ending, right? I guess I'll manage that eventually. It's just that this game is so mentally draining to play, maybe even more so than NT.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Thanks for the help you guys, I managed to get a perfect on that skull boss who I never fought before AND I learned that you can jump while in the minecart!

I hate to repeat myself but what on earth is the function of this room? http://imgur.com/MxIvMX3

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Blackray Jack posted:

Thanks for the help you guys, I managed to get a perfect on that skull boss who I never fought before AND I learned that you can jump while in the minecart!

I hate to repeat myself but what on earth is the function of this room? http://imgur.com/MxIvMX3

I'l spoil it for you:

There's an invisible path across, where you'll find one of the parts to the Bullet That Can Kill the Past. You can reveal it with guns that leave liquid on the ground, or get an item that lets you fly.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I went through a weird progression while playing. Initially, I'd invent new, diverse ways of swearing when I died. Then, the more I died, (and I'm fairly certain I'm in the 30s right now, stopped looking after a while) I became less upset. Now, it's annoying, especially when I make it further into the gungeon than in previous runs, but whatevs. This is the first roguelite I've ever played, and I don't think I'm up for it. Fifteen bucks to kill the time before Dark Souls 3 was money well spent however.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I'l spoil it for you:

There's an invisible path across, where you'll find one of the parts to the Bullet That Can Kill the Past. You can reveal it with guns that leave liquid on the ground, or get an item that lets you fly.

If your starter gun leaves shells on the ground you can even use those to map it

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
How the gently caress do you drop passive items on mouse/keyboard. I tried literally every key and nothing works and I cant find a keybind for it.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Hold F for guns, G for use items. Drop passive items from the map menu.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

How the gently caress do you drop passive items on mouse/keyboard. I tried literally every key and nothing works and I cant find a keybind for it.

Open map, click item, click DROP ITEM in the top right.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Oh its the map. Also what the gently caress is wrong with the game, not a single water barrel spawned on FL1. :argh:

Edit: Im at the point where I just restart runs now if I dont get a gun from a chest early on which is not a good sign.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Oh its the map. Also what the gently caress is wrong with the game, not a single water barrel spawned on FL1. :argh:

Edit: Im at the point where I just restart runs now if I dont get a gun from a chest early on which is not a good sign.

Just remember, damage boosts, etc, can be better than guns, with ghost/homing bullets, I chewed through everything up to floor 3, where I finally got a decent gun. The basic guns are still decently powerful, even unbuffed, it just becomes a test of skill/patience.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

FrickenMoron posted:

There seems to always be at least one water barrel, but often they are victims of stray bullets during firefights, and it might dry up before you're done clearing the room.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Door Lord is some serious horseshit. I can't even begin to understand how to dodge that laser.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

God gently caress the treadnaught. It's such a lovely boss.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Treadnaught's fine until it decides to shoot the "summon minion" rocket 4 times in a row and they all land in seperate sides of the room. Why the hell do those things get the predict movement aiming type?
Still rather fight the treadnaught than shotgrubs in bullet hell though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I had a boss fight room that had multiple pits in it and all I can think is, why? What's the point?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Treadnaught is a funny boss, because if you get a single speed up upgrade before reaching him, he's trivial.
Still don't usually have trouble with him though, but the High Priest of floor 4 is the loving bane of my existence, and most others seem to think he's the easiest 4th tier boss.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is anyone else having issues using blanks on keyboard? I can't count how many times I've moved my finger just too slow and get hit right as the blank goes off. Bleh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is anyone else having issues using blanks on keyboard? I can't count how many times I've moved my finger just too slow and get hit right as the blank goes off. Bleh.

First thing I did after my test run was to move blanks to right click for fast and easy access. Space for dodge roll works fine too. Try it out.