Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Paper Triangle posted:

are they both that bad? i was considering picking up both because i've generally enjoyed mario sports games.

I love them too but that Wii u Mario tennis game looked abysmal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Mario Tennis Ultra Smash is the worst game I got at full price in a long, long time. And I couldn't return it or sell it because I got it on the eshop.

It's really bad. Like... maybe it would have been worth it if it was a $10 thing. I feel bad for every parent (and their kids) who got duped into buying it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I thought it was okay but I'm a weirdo that doesn't care about the bonus modes in Mario sports games. The core mechanics are fine imo. It definitely shouldn't be more than $20 though.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Hah...
The licensed Russian key seller just put this up

"We couldn't wait for Wii U Nintendo Selects, so here's a permanent price reduction for these four"
:allears:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I bought Ultra Smash at release and it was a huge disappointment; I can't recommend it to anyone. Then again, I was rather disappointed by the 3DS Mario Tennis as well, so perhaps I should just stop buying the franchise. Mario Golf World Tour for the 3DS, however, is fantastic. Toadstool Tour way back on the GC is one of the few games where I have done and unlocked absolutely everything, even if the Birdie challenge almost drove me bonkers.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I still need to play 999 but I'll probably pick up VLR in advance.

Story of Seasons is also a big temptation. I haven't even started Rune Factory 4 yet, but you never know when you'll need more portable farming.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
That's a pretty good price in Shin Megami Tensei IV, too, if you've been on the fence about that game. I played it all the way through without taking a break from it, which is not usually how I end up playing JRPGS. It's a lot of fun to gradually go from "extremely killable" to "meticulously hand-picked and carefully fused party of demons with incredibly broken combinations of spells" over the course of the game. Also, thanks to extensive in-game documentation, and removal of a lot of RNG aspects, the demon fusion system is more accessible than it pretty much ever has been.

There's also a direct sequel in the works, so you can get brushed up on the prior events; I'm not sure which ending is supposed to be canonical, though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I don't think any of them are? IIRC, SMTIV Final takes place right after the route split in its own route.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Just finished Twilight Princess HD. Confusing Ganondorf with the fishing rod and then hitting him repeatedly is a hell of a dominant strategy.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't think any of them are? IIRC, SMTIV Final takes place right after the route split in its own route.

I think it takes place partway through the Neutral route.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

SRM posted:

Just finished Twilight Princess HD. Confusing Ganondorf with the fishing rod and then hitting him repeatedly is a hell of a dominant strategy.

The greatest strategy is wearing the iron boots so that you continue wearing them in the following cutscene complete with clunking sfx

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Does Toon Link get to make faces in Hyrule Warriors L?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Does Toon Link get to make faces in Hyrule Warriors L?

Kinda but the basic character models aren't as animated as in the Wii U version. I imagine Wii U Toon Link is a lot more expressive in general.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Should I get Story of Seasons while it's on sale? I loved Harvest Moon 64, so I bought Rune Factory 4 but stopped playing because I was bored to death by the combat. I also didn't like that the soil loses nutrients but the game doesn't have a fun or interesting crop rotation system to make up for that. I don't need a realistic farming simulator, I just thought that the soil depletion mechanic was dealt with in a way that wasn't actually fun. Is there any chance I'll like Story of Seasons?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Spoderman posted:

Should I get Story of Seasons while it's on sale? I loved Harvest Moon 64, so I bought Rune Factory 4 but stopped playing because I was bored to death by the combat. I also didn't like that the soil loses nutrients but the game doesn't have a fun or interesting crop rotation system to make up for that. I don't need a realistic farming simulator, I just thought that the soil depletion mechanic was dealt with in a way that wasn't actually fun. Is there any chance I'll like Story of Seasons?

You probably will. There's no soil quality in that game and it's very easy to raise lots of crops. Less dialog variation among the townspeople, but I like them fine anyway.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

So I got MyNintendo Gold Points for buying things that were below $5, but those could just be the default they're set for since the things I bought were only below $5 because of the sale. So there's that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

nerdman42 posted:

So I got MyNintendo Gold Points for buying things that were below $5, but those could just be the default they're set for since the things I bought were only below $5 because of the sale. So there's that.

Yeah, gold points are awarded based on base price, not sale price, which is neat.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Picked up Extreme Butoden from the sale. Been wanting it for a while since playing the demo. It's $40 CND for a physical copy. So $24 digitally is A-OK for me.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Anyone try Chronicles of Teddy? It looks like a solid combination of Zelda 2 and Metroid but I'm waiting for pay day I guess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HE035qNfB4

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

.TakaM posted:

Anyone try Chronicles of Teddy? It looks like a solid combination of Zelda 2 and Metroid but I'm waiting for pay day I guess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HE035qNfB4

I played Chronicles of Teddy back when it was Finding Teddy 2 on Steam, so here's my rundown on it:

The swordplay was pretty solid, but there were certain aspects of the exploration that needed work. You use an in-game instrument to communicate with the locals, who all speak a different language, and solve puzzles written in that language. Unfortunately, you have to find each of the instrument's icons before you can use them and you also have to find the actual word itself, usually via some dialog. This would be fine if there was a way to figure out which person you have to talk to instead of talking to everyone in town (again) just in case you missed one.

The game also didn't have an ingame map, which made exploration a little difficult. The areas can have multiple exits, and some doors will lead to areas you could have also just walked to normally, and it's a little bit of a mess unless you've got a good mental map. Luckily, the game is separated into different worlds which don't interconnect except through the hub, so you don't have to memorize the ENTIRE game map all at once.

Overall, I enjoyed the game, but I'm not really up to playing it again anytime soon. I THINK there was some sort of 100% ending, but I don't recall.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

There's always the chance they put the map on the gamepad screen

edit-
Apparently the map is presented on the gamepad screen while you play :)

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 9, 2016

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm glad I picked up Super Mario Advance 4, I actually bought an e-Reader and the card packs that got released here, and it always bugged me we never got the rest of them. I'm slightly disappointed there's no way to use the power-up cards though, being able to use the feather in SMB3 was really fun.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm glad I picked up Super Mario Advance 4, I actually bought an e-Reader and the card packs that got released here, and it always bugged me we never got the rest of them. I'm slightly disappointed there's no way to use the power-up cards though, being able to use the feather in SMB3 was really fun.

Same. Happy for the port, but I really wanted to be able to have tons of Hammer Bros Suits and so on. Still sad that they haven't patched those into Mario Maker.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They should have tried to make Amiibo appear to the emulator as an ereader and each Mario series character is a power up.

Speaking of, I just got a code for the Mario v DK game and it was for 3ds? I thought it was for WiiU? It's pretty fun, there's been a couple of levels where I just have not been able to figure out how to get a particular card. Helps that I already have every Amiibo the game requires except for Rosalina. Did they ever ship any more of those to Target?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There should be a code for the Wii U version on your digital receipt or something, I forget how that works.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of April 14):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U - €24.99 / £19.99 (permanent price reduction)
    The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD - €24.99 / £19.99 (permanent price reduction)
    Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - €24.99 / £19.99 (permanent price reduction)
    LEGO City Undercover - €24.99 / £19.99 (permanent price reduction)
    Nintendo Land - €24.99 / £19.99 (permanent price reduction)
    Wii Party U - €24.99 / £19.99 (permanent price reduction)
WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Lost Reavers - (open beta, free to download, ends April 24)
    Olympia Rising - €4.99 / £4.49
    Paranautical Activity - €9.99 / £8.99
    Color Bombs - €1.49 / £1.39
    Rubiks Cube 2 - €4.99 / £4.49
    Star Sky 2 - €4.00 / £3.40
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    New Super Luigi U Add-On Content for New Super Mario Bros. U - €9.99 / £8.99 (permanent price reduction)
    Runbow Add-On Content
  • Lilac (character, free)
  • Extra Val-Hue Bundle - €11.99 / £10.79
  • Satura's Space Adventure - €6.49 / £5.89
  • New Costumes & Music Bundle - €6.49 / £5.89
  • Professionals Pack - €1.99 / £1.79
  • Winter Pack - €1.99 / £1.79
  • Anime Pack - €1.99 / £1.79
  • Steampunk Pack - €1.99 / £1.79
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Yoshi's Story (N64) - €9.99 / £8.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Fire Emblem (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £3.14 until April 14
    Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £3.14 until April 14
    Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon (Wii U VC) - €4.99 / £4.49 until April 14
    Steamworld Dig (Wii U eShop) - €5.99 / £4.49 until April 21
    Nano Assault Neo (Wii U eShop) - €7.49 / £6.70 until April 28
    Runbow (Wii U eShop) - €10.49 / £8.24 from April 14-28

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games - €39.99 / £34.99 (April 8)
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Super Strie Beach Volleyball - €4.99 / £4.49
    Rubiks Cube 2 - €4.99 / £4.49
NEW 3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Pilotwings (SNES) - €7.99 / £7.19
3DS MENU THEMES (April 8)
    Zelda Twilight Princess - Light & Shadow - €1.99 / £1.79
    Hatsune Miku Carton Box - €1.79 / £1.59
    Hatsune Miku Deluxe - €1.79 / £1.59
    Elves and Unicorns: A special friendship - €1.99 / £1.79
    Bloom and Stella Tynix A magical transformation - €1.99 / £1.79
    Mia and Me main characters: Mia, Mo, Yuko and Onchao - €0.99 / £0.89 (permanent price reduction)
    Mia and Me: Mia in Centopia - €0.99 / £0.89 (permanent price reduction)
    Mia and the Unicorns - €0.99 / £0.89 (permanent price reduction)
    The Winx at Alfea - €0.99 / £0.89 (permanent price reduction)
    Winter in Centopia - €0.99 / £0.89 (permanent price reduction)
    Winx Club Fashion Style: Flora and Bloom - €0.99 / £0.89 (permanent price reduction)
    Winx Club Mythix: Bloom, Stella and Flora - €0.99 / £0.89 (permanent price reduction)
    Winx Music & Magic:Dancing to the rhythm of magic - €0.99 / £0.89 (permanent price reduction)
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Jett Rockett 2: Wrath of Taikai (3DS eShop) - €6.70 / £5.70 until April 14
    Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS) - €29.99 / £26.49, all DLC 50% off until April 14
    Steamworld Dig (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £4.49 until April 21
    Aeternoblade (3DS eShop) - €10.99 / £9.99 from April 14-28

Those Nintendo price cuts are due to the new Nintendo Selects re-releases. Note the Luigi U DLC for NSMBU also got a cut.

I have no idea what the Runbow DLC is - a single-player content update and lots of music/skins, I'm guessing. (Lilac is from Freedom Planet, by the way.)

Lost Reavers is Namco's f2p dungeon crawler that you saw in a Direct once and promptly forgot about. It's been out in Japan for a few months and they forgot about it too.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 11, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PAL update (week of April 14):

quote:

WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE

Yoshi's Story (N64) - €9.99 / £8.99

Dammit Nintendo we wanted a good N64 game this week :negative:.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Congratulations, you got one!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

[/quote]

One of the biggest flaws of that game is immediately fixed by save states

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEfc0fceEeA

Runbow DLC:

-Satura's Space Adventure: 36 new single-player levels and 12 new multiplayer levels; lots of new gimmicks, new music, new story, etc.
-Anime/Winter/Professional/Steampunk packs contain 2 costumes & new music per pack

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEfc0fceEeA

Runbow DLC:

-Satura's Space Adventure: 36 new single-player levels and 12 new multiplayer levels; lots of new gimmicks, new music, new story, etc.
-Anime/Winter/Professional/Steampunk packs contain 2 costumes & new music per pack

Those prices are way too high. $1.99-$2.99 for a costume and music for a $10 game?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's a $15 but yeah, I dunno what they're thinking.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

It's a $15 but yeah, I dunno what they're thinking.

That's what they're charging, but it's a $10 game.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
gently caress eshop and gently caress NoE. Added some funds with my cc to get After Burner and Out Run, no problems there. Now when I'm trying to buy FE Awakening it says the card details were not put in correctly. I can see the sum being charged on my bank account (thrice now) but it still doesn't work. Never had such problems with either Steam or PSN.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah if you mess up the code on the back or expiration date, it errors but still does a temp charge. It happened to me a while back, but it goes away after a few days.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This week's JP Wii U VC releases: Final Fantasy 4 Advance (GBA), Pokemon Ranger (DS)

Next week's JP Wii U VC releases: Final Fantasy 5 Advance (GBA), Advance Wars Dual Strike (DS), Ai Cho Aniki (PCE CD)

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 13, 2016

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

This week's JP Wii U VC releases: Final Fantasy 4 Advance (GBA), Pokemon Ranger (DS)

Next week's JP Wii U VC releases: Final Fantasy 5 Advance 9( GBA), Advance Wars Dual Strike (DS), Ai Cho Aniki (PCE CD)

They have the processing power with the N3DS now. I don't see why they don't just put the GBA library there now.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

Slur posted:

They have the processing power with the N3DS now. I don't see why they don't just put the GBA library there now.

The VC trickle has been an issue for literally a decade and I don't see why they'd stop now

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

On the NX, there will be a virtual console and it will be the greatest VC ever, on day 1 it will have all of the previous two VC's games. I am very confident this will happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

Amppelix posted:

On the NX, there will be a virtual console and it will be the greatest VC ever, on day 1 it will have all of the previous two VC's games. I am very confident this will happen

I too am confident in this and that they won't tease out a release of Super Mario Bros 3 for months