Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

English dub version of the OP

I'm so mad this is 15 seconds too long because it's almost perfect
The best part of this combo is Jotaro pointing at the camera when the the singer says "Stop!" It could have only been better if Star Platinum came out at that exact moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

JoJo's Bizarre Color Theory

You've probably heard a lot in posts from Xibanya and Bad Seafood about the story, characters, and art of Part 4. But here, with the anime, we can examine another, vitally important, aspect of visual design: colors. If you're a JoJo fan, you should already know that the series has a very cool relationship with color, especially in the anime. Color schemes will change on the drop of a hat as the scene permits, and even the color schemes of characters are never 100% set in stone. Our very own Koichi has been portrayed with blonde, blue, and gray hair in various media! I can already tell that the Part 4 anime is going to have excellent use of color, especially considering the aesthetic and feel of Diamond is Unbreakable. So what I'm going to do is look at scenes that I feel represent a significantly exquisite use of color, draw a basic color scheme from them, and try to analyze the scheme. Today, I'm going to be looking at the four character cards that appear at the beginning of the OP because they are just *kisses fingers like a chef* byootaful.

First off, here's Josuke. You can see that the color scheme here incorporates mostly cool colors, mainly purples and bluish-greens, with a bit of a warm orange in the background to give the patterns just a bit of pop. The greenish-off-white of Josuke's skin provides a nice achromatic (achromatics being more neutral colors like whites, browns, and pastels) base to work off of, and we'll actually see that in all of the character cards, even if I don't include said bases in a couple of the schemes. Green and purple are also complementary colors, so they just go together reeeeal good.

Our good boy Koichi also uses his fair share of cool colors, with some blues and greens, but also has an equal amount of colors on the warmer scale, with red, orange, and a nice pink for his skin. Not to be outdone by Josuke, this scheme also features two sets of complementary colors, red also being complementary with green (though you don't see it a lot in design because of Christmas), along with movie poster favorite blue and orange. A little bit warmer than Josuke, but it's really an even mix.

We haven't met Okuyasu, the third member of the Morioh Crew, yet, but he's pretty great. Going back to the cool colors, his card leans heavily on blues and some purples, with some warm reds, yellows, and oranges in the background to make those cooler colors pop. The colors in Okuyasu's card are a lot more vibrant than the more subdued colors found in Josuke, Koichi, and later Jotaro's, which can be seen as a bit of characterization, because Okuyasu's a pretty intense guy.

He's back again and about time too, and this time, he studies seafood. Jotaro's scheme here is quite contrasted to the others, as his card favors warmer colors, predominantly featuring yellows and oranges, with some blues, purples and a splash of green that didn't make it into the 6-color scheme. Like Koichi, he has the red-green and orange-blue pairs of complementary colors going for him. Perhaps the Morioh boys are cool because they aren't used to the bizarre happenings of the world, having lived in their sleepy town all their lives, while Jotaro, having gone on his own adventures, brings a contrast with that experience as he kicks off the boys' involvement in these happenings.

Adimeadozen
Apr 6, 2004
Not That Guy

Stink Terios posted:

After too many ED edits have an OP edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR-CpTCfv1Q

I don't know what it says about me but when I saw the OP my first thought was this

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Adimeadozen posted:

I don't know what it says about me but when I saw the OP my first thought was this

Dude, the thing starts with the Duwang Clan doing a stage performance, I think most of us went straight to "look at this fuckin' boyband", really.

Okuyasu's heavily shaded face and cool blue skin tone, over a colorful and bright BG is a contrast I really dig, for reasons that will become apparent pretty soon. Jotaro as the "warm" one is also great, seeing that he transitions to a mentor figure this series.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Can someone who's read the manga PM me or spoiler tag just how much Jotaro there is in this season (vague terms, don't tell me "he dies next episode" or anything along those lines)? I do love me some Jotaro Kujo...but I don't want him to overshadow Josuke, who I already think is amazing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He's going to be here for the entire part, but he's not going to be around all the time.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Don't worry, he sticks around but does not overshadow Josuke. There will be a new crew this season and they're all fantastic.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I have been PMed several times! Thanks to all of you!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Josuke is gonna spread his wings soon and get his own Morioh Crusaders, but Papa Jotaro will always be there to help his three sons when poo poo goes south.

also to leap of Waffleman's good color post in a much less nuanced way, the first episode featured one of my favorite color things David has done where before the moment where Josuke punches through the dude Angelo possessed and the cashier, the color had already changed to express the seriousness of the situation, but once Josuke gets pissed off, the color changes again to a completely different scheme and it's the sickest poo poo.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Moltrey posted:

Josuke is gonna spread his wings soon and get his own Morioh Crusaders, but Papa Jotaro will always be there to help his three sons when poo poo goes south.

It's the Duwang Clan.

Duwang Clan ain't nuthin' ta gently caress wit. :colbert:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jotaro basically serves the role of being the weird uncle/nephew who knows about stands and is around to help out with stuff but, obviously, isn't always going to be around because josuke and co. have their own life to get to.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I like that Jotaro, while being crazy badass and suddenly realizing what rain means to Aqua Necklace he still made sure to take his shoes off when going inside.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Dastardly posted:

I like that Jotaro, while being crazy badass and suddenly realizing what rain means to Aqua Necklace he still made sure to take his shoes off when going inside.

Jotaro is a huge dork.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Way back in Part 3 when Jotaro brought home Kakyoin, the guy who just tried to murder him and other students, he still took off Kakyoin's shoes so that is very in character.

I also liked the added scene of Josuke leaping down the stairs, that was some fun flair

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Moltrey posted:

Way back in Part 3 when Jotaro brought home Kakyoin, the guy who just tried to murder him and other students, he still took off Kakyoin's shoes so that is very in character

well he wasn't about to disrespect his momma's house

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jotaro is mainly here to study these sick starfish that wash up on Morioh's beach.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Enourmo posted:

well he wasn't about to disrespect his momma's house

That's Kakyoin's job :grin:

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Thank David Pro Fridays are good again.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Cabinet posted:

That's Kakyoin's job :grin:

That was Kakyoin's job :smith:

edit: Also Jotaro was totally thinking ahead with taking his shoes off. Having wet shoe prints around the house just means more spots to hide in.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I know next-to-nothing about the pt. 4 manga so this will be an especially fun season.

Ep. 1 "Josuke you cannot solve all your problems by punching through someone's stomach."
Ep. 2: "Nevermind, apparently you can."

Show owwwwns

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
A cup of glove a day keeps the enemy stand away.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

More OP mashups, this time with other anime intros! Interestly, what these all have in common is the opening is too short to quite fit any of these. Given anime intros all have the roughly same structure, it really feels like they'll be adding to the intro as we meet the friendly friends of Morioh.

Kill La Kill - Ambiguous (this is my favorite)
http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=zu1Znp5xbyA&video_start=0&audio=qaLeO-2Fytg&audio_start=10

Gurren Lagann - Sorairo Days
http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=zu1Znp5xbyA&video_start=0&audio=k-bV6GOGbQI&audio_start=1

Fist of the North Star - Ai wo Torimodose (A.K.A. YOU WA SHOCK!)
http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=zu1Znp5xbyA&video_start=0&audio=4bCyf1AwOJ8&audio_start=27

Cowboy Bebop - Tank!
http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=zu1Znp5xbyA&video_start=0&audio=Aw3fN3OPk3A&audio_start=2

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Cruel Angel's Thesis
http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=zu1Znp5xbyA&video_start=0&audio=jYZfeY8Vg0E&audio_start=1

FLCL - Little Busters (OK no I lied, this is my favorite)
http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=zu1Znp5xbyA&video_start=0&audio=1yM37LOIXgk&audio_start=0

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 9, 2016

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Thumbtacks posted:

As someone that hasn't read the manga the OP disappointed me a bit, only because it's INSANELY clear that Koichi gets a stand at some point (and I'm starting to suspect half this town does, if not more)

Also I was kind of hoping Jotaro would ORA ORA the poo poo out of Angelo and then Josuke would roughly put him back together and they'd repeat for a while but that's a much worse fate, I think.

I'm not going to confirm/deny anything, but I will say any possible spoilery stuff in the OP is stuff that'll happen soon. We're still in the early few chapters/episodes of establishing the cast and story and that spoilery stuff occurs within this establishment. Don't worry about it too much.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
So did Mario beat Special World between this season and the last?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Okay even from the second episode it's clear that Josuke's stand will lend itself to some absolutely loving crazy fights, so I'm really looking forward to the upcoming episodes.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wow, so that is where the budget for the first episode went off to! Those scene transitions alone!

Remember when we were all worried when Jojo part 1 was announced? How David Productions was still a relatively unknown studio splintered off from the corpse of Gonzo and that they probably spent all their money just getting the license to begin with? How we would not get to part 3, much less part 4?

Also, is it just me, or is there less stylized onomatopoeia than the other parts?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, is it just me, or is there less stylized onomatopoeia than the other parts?

They seem to have been replaced by color changes.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

They seem to have been replaced by color changes.

To be clear, I am not complaining; It does make it look distinct compared to the other parts.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Baal PM'd me to tell you all that he thinks that the OP and ED are okay but the episode sucked.
He lost the April Fools thing and can't post, I think.

That's all.
If you want to know why he thinks it sucked, consider PM'img him.

PM'ing him pictures of poops

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Monaghan posted:

Okay even from the second episode it's clear that Josuke's stand will lend itself to some absolutely loving crazy fights, so I'm really looking forward to the upcoming episodes.

Yeah, having a Stand that can "fix" things lends itself to some really interesting battles. There's definitely more violence and body horror in this part, if anybody's wondering. Araki's figuring out more about what he wants to do with Stands here so there's a lot more really creative Stand use to look forward to. :)

Next week is gonna be G R E A T

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Me after Ep 1: "Okay, this is pretty solid, David might still have the magic."

Me after Ep 2: "HOLY loving CHRIST GIVE ME ALL THE FRIDAYS!"

Looks like David is putting out the definitive JoJo 4 seasons running.

mabels big day posted:

English dub version of the OP

I'm so mad this is 15 seconds too long because it's almost perfect

I never thought about it before, but Part 4 really kind of is JoJo Hakusho.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
One thing I enjoyed, I forget if it's in the manga, is how Josuke trying to heal grandpa Higashikata in vain at least fixed up the damage from Aqua Necklace so he looked more respectable, that was nice. Nobody wants to die with that kind of look on their face.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
In the same scene, I really like Jotaro calling Josuke's healing ability the kindest ability. Jotaro has fought countless Stand Users in his time, but none of them have had the raw potential to do help others like Crazy Diamond and Josuke have. With Stands being an extension of the user's psyche, it shows that Josuke really is a Good Strong Boy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thanks

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Moltrey posted:

In the same scene, I really like Jotaro calling Josuke's healing ability the kindest ability. Jotaro has fought countless Stand Users in his time, but none of them have had the raw potential to do help others like Crazy Diamond and Josuke have. With Stands being an extension of the user's psyche, it shows that Josuke really is a Good Strong Boy.

I actually tear up when I think about how Jotaro, up until this, has only seen stands that can destroy. But here in a sleepy town, he met a young man so kind, so gentle, that his stand can heal instead.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

i mean if you want to get technical thoth, khnum, and tenore sax weren't really destructive they were just used by assholes working for a vampire

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
True, but Jotaro never saw those three.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

spicy meme fresh from the oven

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

True, but Jotaro never saw those three.

drat I didn't even think of that, consider my annoying technicality thwarted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bless this Angry Teen

Seeing the grandpa interaction animated was just really, really nice.

• Locked thread