Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

I managed to get one more good video today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N_U8Ajqpw0
*FLOOFING INTENSIFIES*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

today was a 40 cockatoo day

i have minimum pictures because whenever i went outside to take them they would flap over to me and i'd have to run the gauntlet

it turns out in large numbers every cockatoo is REALLY friendly

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dreggon posted:

I'm envisioning you typing this while every surface of your house is covered in cockatoos/cockatoo feathers/cockatoo poo poo :allears:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Dreggon posted:

today was a 40 cockatoo day

i have minimum pictures because whenever i went outside to take them they would flap over to me and i'd have to run the gauntlet

Do cockatoos eat meat? Has anyone ever died sunbathing and a flock of cockatoos destroyed the body? Or stolen a baby?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shirec posted:

Or stolen a baby?
Cockatoos literally the inspiration for fairies

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
[incredibly dreggon voice]

a cockatooo stole mah baay-bee

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Stole my baby, shat on my laundry, same thing really

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Cockatoos get much bolder if they have other cockatoos around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82_ZJ1Y4Hhk

Pictured: a finger trap.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mizuti posted:

What a good birb :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tendai posted:

What a good birb :3:

It's amazing watching the cockie gesture at the handle like he's trying to explain the concept of it in case they didnt understand :allears:.

Aug 24, 2011

Mizuti posted:

lol

apparently the sydney ones are really friendly and will land on you

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Birds: The new flying, swearing Gom Jabbar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpXTgdAjVsw

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

As I watched this, my Nanday is down my sweater, trying to tear it apart from the inside. Birbs :3:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I played a game of X-Wing with a friend today and had a conure down my shirt most of the game, giving me advice, like an astromech droid.

what is with birbs and shirts.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
You say no to a warm house connected to a loving owner that you can hang out in. :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Judah doesn't care about any shirts but hoodies, because he likes to crawl under my hair and fall asleep in the hood :kimchi: Still trying to get a picture of that that isn't a blur of hair and cockatiel butt.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

How often do you guys need to clip your birds' nails? Nugget's nails never get long and I've never had to clip them but Ozzy's nails get super long and I have to clip them like every month or every other month. Is my conure a freak of nature or do you guys have special perches that work for your GCC's nails? Nugget and Ozzy share a cage so it's super weird that I only have to ever clip Ozzy's nails. Poor little guy pretty much hyperventilates when we towel him so I would love to find something less stressful for him :(

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's not recommended but I put those sandpaper sheaths over the dowling perches once in a while, the distress that forcefully handling my lot would cause might actually kill them. You can also get special, and expensive, perches that have rough surfaces.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Cleaned all the cages this evening, gave Inko a tray of sand this time, can't wait to hear the angry squeaks when he goes down to sleep and finds his paper towels aren't there

Pip pip pip posted:

How often do you guys need to clip your birds' nails? Nugget's nails never get long and I've never had to clip them but Ozzy's nails get super long and I have to clip them like every month or every other month. Is my conure a freak of nature or do you guys have special perches that work for your GCC's nails? Nugget and Ozzy share a cage so it's super weird that I only have to ever clip Ozzy's nails. Poor little guy pretty much hyperventilates when we towel him so I would love to find something less stressful for him :(

We do Ohtori's whenever (since I can just lean him back against my chest and file a nail without issue at anytime), Steve's when he starts piercing the skin and/or walking vertically up things, and Inko's "whenever". We actually did them this evening and he sulked until cover up. All of them have concrete perches etc, none of them seem to have any effect

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Judah is exceedingly dramatic about nail trims, but unfortunately has faster-growing nails than any bird I've ever had, despite having concrete/calcium/etc perches.

Unfortunately because of my stubby dwarf hands I can't get a good enough grip and have the finger maneuverability to work his feet to clip nails, so he gets to go to the vet every month or two for a manicure :v: The car ride is acceptable but as soon as he sees the towel come out he just starts bitching without even bothering to try to fly off. It's basically hilarious from my point of view. Sorry Judah.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mizuti posted:

Nothing is more terrifying than a polite parrot

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

yer vishus, got me roight on the nipple there

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

learnincurve posted:

It's not recommended but I put those sandpaper sheaths over the dowling perches once in a while, the distress that forcefully handling my lot would cause might actually kill them. You can also get special, and expensive, perches that have rough surfaces.

Would it work to glue a thin strip of sandpaper to the underside of the perch?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Toast is enjoying mangling the pinecones I got for him. There are now little bits of pinecone all over my desk and one pinecone is reduced to mostly little stringy bits as he's chewed off all the "barky" bits.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Frogmanv2 posted:

Would it work to glue a thin strip of sandpaper to the underside of the perch?

Knowing birds, they would know something was up and try to peel it off, is glue ok for birds? I have too much experience now with being "Oh, they have so many toys and food, of course they won't destroy my computer mouse/knock over this glass" to trust my own luck

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The issue with sandpaper is that they might try to eat it, provided you use bird friendly glue and the risk of them ripping up the paper outweighs the distress of having nails clipped then it should work. I know a lot of people frown on this method, but it ain't easy when you have birds not used to being handled. I'm desperate to help the budgie with his pin feathers on his head but there is no way I can, silly bird just tries to bite me when I get too close.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I had two parakeets and they never bit. I thought their beaks didn't open tall enough to even try. I mean they did NOT like hands and fingers but they never bit.

They did like sitting on heads, or shoulders, and they liked teeth. "Where's your beak?", they were probably thinking. Smile a toothy grin at them "oh there they are, tap tap tap"

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Krinkle posted:

I had two parakeets and they never bit. I thought their beaks didn't open tall enough to even try. I mean they did NOT like hands and fingers but they never bit.

They did like sitting on heads, or shoulders, and they liked teeth. "Where's your beak?", they were probably thinking. Smile a toothy grin at them "oh there they are, tap tap tap"

I can confirm that budgies definitely can bite. They like latching their beaks under fingernails and hanging on for dear life :argh:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

One of my budgies was huddled on the bottom of the cage one day and I was worried and reached in to see if he was okay and he lunged forward and latched onto my finger and got yanked out of the cage dangling from my hand like some insane ornament and that's how I learned he was a she and she and the other budgie had gotten frisky and there was a clutch of eggs under their food dish now. That particular budgie was called Chaotic Neutral so it was at least kind of in line with her character I guess. Anyway that's my budgie bite story, the end.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
We got home a few hours ago from visiting the lady who hand raises the baby birbs, and I finally figured out how to upload pics etc. (hopefully)

It happened.

More blood for the conure god!!!

I looked at this baby, and it looked at me, and that was it. I am in love. Deeply and crazily in love with this tiny dino birb :3: Lucky for me, my husband melted like a puddle of goo when he held this baby in his hands, so that was pretty much it. We are having a baby Half Moon Conure raised for us. ATM, it is only about a month old, but it is so sweet... we will know in about a week or so what the DNA test says so we will know then if it is a boy or a girl. We are still figuring out names, too :)

We should be able to bring this baby home in a few months after it can fly, and eat grownup food etc etc. I am so excited!!!

This is a link to the imgur page we set up with pics of our little baby. http://imgur.com/a/5bqHA

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 10, 2016

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
:kimchi: such a cute babby birb

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
A floofy little babbu :syoon:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

One of my budgies was huddled on the bottom of the cage one day and I was worried and reached in to see if he was okay and he lunged forward and latched onto my finger and got yanked out of the cage dangling from my hand like some insane ornament and that's how I learned he was a she and she and the other budgie had gotten frisky and there was a clutch of eggs under their food dish now. That particular budgie was called Chaotic Neutral so it was at least kind of in line with her character I guess. Anyway that's my budgie bite story, the end.

I didn't know Landerig was a birb

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Disco Salmon posted:

We got home a few hours ago from visiting the lady who hand raises the baby birbs, and I finally figured out how to upload pics etc. (hopefully)

It happened.

More blood for the conure god!!!

I looked at this baby, and it looked at me, and that was it. I am in love. Deeply and crazily in love with this tiny dino birb :3: Lucky for me, my husband melted like a puddle of goo when he held this baby in his hands, so that was pretty much it. We are having a baby Half Moon Conure raised for us. ATM, it is only about a month old, but it is so sweet... we will know in about a week or so what the DNA test says so we will know then if it is a boy or a girl. We are still figuring out names, too :)

We should be able to bring this baby home in a few months after it can fly, and eat grownup food etc etc. I am so excited!!!

This is a link to the imgur page we set up with pics of our little baby. http://imgur.com/a/5bqHA

holy poo poo that orange fringe!

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
So I have been working with Bonny and now that the weather is warm enough

The biggest pain was getting the harness over her head. Once she was outside she did very well. Spent most of the time looking up at the sky.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

1500 posted:

The biggest pain was getting the harness over her head. Once she was outside she did very well. Spent most of the time looking up at the sky.

oh my god :3:

Aug 24, 2011

1500 posted:

wow an actual parrot parrot

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

1500 posted:

She is so beautiful :kimchi: Like unicorn barf made into a bird. So majestic! She looks very happy there :3:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

She is so beautiful :kimchi: Like unicorn barf made into a bird. So majestic! She looks very happy there :3:

she looks like a paddlepop icecream

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

taco cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW