Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Frogmanv2 posted:

FYI this is a stupid criticism, because over a long enough period of time, the NBN will make the government money.

20 odd million subscribers all paying $30 a month adds up.

I listed several criticisms of the current MTM incarnation in comparison to the previous FTTP plan. Which one are you saying is stupid?

edit: also, where are you getting 20 million subscribers from? All the numbers thrown around so far have been in the region of 8-12 million premises connected.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Whats happening goons?

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

starkebn posted:

all I know is that my mum can only get satellite, and she can't even download a 3MB file because it times out and cancels. She's supposed to be getting NBN satellite soon so I hope it actually works. Current regional internet is poo poo as it gets.

I know somebody who just got NBN satellite and while it is remarkably better than the old ISDN that was their previously only-available option, it still sucks balls compared to even ADSL2. The ironic thing is that they have an optus backhaul cable going right through their property.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Were they meant to be in the fixed line/wireless footprint?

Also gently caress all the Nats for being a useless boil on the rear end of the LNP.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
All the MTM implementations still leave upload speeds woefully inadequate which cripples things like digital media, telepresence and remote working. The switch was a garbage decision to work with and will likely break the nbn internally at some point as it slowly converts into an IBM/Accenture/Infosys money funnel.

My favourite nbn event was a town hall where the CTO bragged about households on FTTN being able to watch "up to three Netflix SD steams" at a time.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

I know somebody who just got NBN satellite and while it is remarkably better than the old ISDN that was their previously only-available option, it still sucks balls compared to even ADSL2. The ironic thing is that they have an optus backhaul cable going right through their property.

This kind of thing makes me super mad.

Nationalise all the telecom companies.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

ahmeni posted:

The switch was a garbage decision to work with and will likely break the nbn internally at some point as it slowly converts into an IBM/Accenture/Infosys money
funnel.
Will that be compatible with the current plan for the project, ie propping up Telstra's share price?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mr Chips posted:

I listed several criticisms of the current MTM incarnation in comparison to the previous FTTP plan. Which one are you saying is stupid?

edit: also, where are you getting 20 million subscribers from? All the numbers thrown around so far have been in the region of 8-12 million premises connected.

The cost of it. But it was a poorly worded reply. Sorry, I was pretty trashed when I wrote it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Privatising Telstra really was just a huuuge loving mistake.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

LibertyCat posted:

I was listening to a "please give blood" plea on the radio this morning, and a thought occurred to me - why not (as long as it is medically ok) make Centrelink conditional on being a blood donor?

You could set up donation centers inside Centrelink offices and make it part of the regular appointment. If you're unemployed you're not exactly short of time like most workers. The Red Cross would save money on advertisements and mobile vans. It could save a heap of lives with no real downside.

All of your blood should go in a bin

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Yeah sure i'll get a blood transfusion from somebody who claims to be aids but youre "pretty sure" theyre faking it. Blood tests are flawless, after all

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Mr Chips posted:

Will that be compatible with the current plan for the project, ie propping up Telstra's share price?

Of course. At some point the internal policy of spending (as dictated from the ex Telstra management) will be exposed and it will be decided nbn cannot run the network properly. Then Telstra will be "forced" purchase all that completed infrastructure for pennies on the dollar.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Frogmanv2 posted:

The cost of it. But it was a poorly worded reply. Sorry, I was pretty trashed when I wrote it.

no worries. I'm coming at it more from a "get best ROI per public dollar spent", which MTM most definitely is not, therefore the initial rollout cost is an issue

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lebanese authorities say they have uncorroborated evidence Nine paid for the operation, which saw the children of Australian mother Sally Faulkner snatched off a Beirut street.

It appears to have been an attempt to get the children back to Australia after their Lebanese father, Ali el-Amien, took them to Lebanon last year and refused to let them return.

But four men accused of grabbing the children have been detained along with Ms Faulkner and a four-member crew from Chanel Nine, which was filming a story with her.

Authorities say they now have a signed statement from a member of the "recovery team" who says Nine paid $115,000 for the operation.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

hooman posted:

Privatising Telstra really was just a huuuge loving mistake.

:agreed:

LibertyCat posted:

I was listening to a "please give blood" plea on the radio this morning, and a thought occurred to me - why not (as long as it is medically ok) make Centrelink conditional on being a blood donor?

You could set up donation centers inside Centrelink offices and make it part of the regular appointment. If you're unemployed you're not exactly short of time like most workers. The Red Cross would save money on advertisements and mobile vans. It could save a heap of lives with no real downside.

I can't donate blood.
the surgeon general of the red cross decided that my heart murmur was severe enough to prohibit me from donating even though two cardiologists wrote to them saying I am at no risk of endocarditis or complications. I'm mad as hell about it because I'm O neg and I used blood donations as a way of overcoming my moderate phobia of needles.

Also men who have(had) sex with men are still prohibited from donating.

I'm also not fond of the state taking something from my body because of bureaucracy. Our bodily autonomy should not annulled by social security policy. see : sterilising the poor.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Lnp has come out saying it is highly likely family income will be tied to hecs repayments rather than individual income in the budget.

Yes let's make sure young people cannot afford starting a family even more.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Anidav posted:

Lnp has come out saying it is highly likely family income will be tied to hecs repayments rather than individual income in the budget.

Yes let's make sure young people cannot afford starting a family even more.

Where is this being reported? I can see this being monumentally unfair for...well, basically any middle-income family.

e: and low income families, depending on where the threshold falls...and I'd bet anything that they'd set it at lower than the current single income threshold :v:

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 9, 2016

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I donate blood, but you can be sure as hell I'd never support compulsory donations. The government should not literally bleed it's people because they can't manage an economy or provide for them.

The Panama papers should tell you that all the excuse making about welfare and the demonisation of the poor that the government routinely spouts is based on a huge lie - that our economy can't sustain a basic living standard for all Australians. Because it can, it's just that wealthy individuals and corporations have literally stolen all our money.

Making welfare even more conditional isn't going to help anybody.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Bleed the rich.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
“Excessive taxes, excessive debt serve as a handbrake on economic growth.”

Malcolm Turnbull, 2016.

Jesus loving christ.

Endman
May 18, 2010

hooman posted:

Malcolm Turnbull, 2016.

Jesus loving christ.

lmao

The cognitive dissonance is astounding; one of those is literally solved by the application of the other.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

lmao

The cognitive dissonance is astounding; one of those is literally solved by the application of the other.

What Panama papers? What bank malfeasance? What misallocated spending?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

hooman posted:

What Panama papers? What bank malfeasance? What misallocated spending?

I just get angrier and angrier at the LNP's continued insistence that Government austerity is good for the economy when, the the theory is based on a spreadsheet error. These people are knowingly grinding the poor into the dirt, for the betterment of their elite donors. And people eat that poo poo up despite it being against their interests.

Lieutenant Hoffman
Mar 4, 2009

hell yeah!!!

Mithranderp posted:

I just get angrier and angrier at the LNP's continued insistence that Government austerity is good for the economy when, the the theory is based on a spreadsheet error. These people are knowingly grinding the poor into the dirt, for the betterment of their elite donors. And people eat that poo poo up despite it being against their interests.

It's arguable whether it is even beneficial in the long term for the rich donors. If you destroy the welfare, education and health care of the lower classes then it's hard to see the wealth of Australia growing. I guess "a rising tide lifts all ships' doesn't have much sway with these rich fuckwits when it comes time to pay their fair share.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Lieutenant Hoffman posted:

It's arguable whether it is even beneficial in the long term for the rich donors. If you destroy the welfare, education and health care of the lower classes then it's hard to see the wealth of Australia growing. I guess "a rising tide lifts all ships' doesn't have much sway with these rich fuckwits when it comes time to pay their fair share.

Ehhh the long term doesn't really matter to a lot of these people (#notallrichpeople), not in the real sense of the word. As long as they can continue sitting on their pile of money until they die, they don't really give a flying gently caress.

Some of them get it though: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-08/billionaire-cartier-owner-sees-wealth-gap-fueling-social-unrest

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Has LibertyCat posted in a while? He dropped off the radar after the ethics thing :(

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

hooman posted:

Malcolm Turnbull, 2016.

Jesus loving christ.

Someone should tell businesses that borrowing money is bad for growth.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
he came in, dropped an idea turd and people are still discussing exactly what colour the poo poo is

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hooman posted:

Malcolm Turnbull, 2016.

Jesus loving christ.

What's funny is that there keep being rumours that 30 year infrastructure bonds will be a big part of the budget.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Negligent posted:

he came in, dropped an idea turd and people are still discussing exactly what colour the poo poo is

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Negligent posted:

wait are you talking about Malcolm Turnbull or LibertyCat

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mithranderp posted:

Where is this being reported? I can see this being monumentally unfair for...well, basically any middle-income family.

e: and low income families, depending on where the threshold falls...and I'd bet anything that they'd set it at lower than the current single income threshold :v:

This would mean we'd have to actually make payments on Faux Pa's HECS again for once, even though he hasn't worked for a few years and looking more and more like this is going to be a giant barrier to ever restarting his career.

Welp, it'll make our occasional debt repayment debate a moot point :v: (he has an emotional hangup about having any debt, and occasionally wishes we could put payments on it, even if it is mathematically superior to not pay off that particular type of debt when we don't have to)

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Fairfax has an article up on it but I cannot find the radio recordings about the LNP people saying it'll be highly considered for the budget

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Having flashbacks to the 2014 budget:

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
The Fairfax article raises the point on whether that type of sexually transmitted debt is even reasonable and it will just lead to people lying about their defacto status. It's the enforcement costs outweighing the gains thing again.

Not to mention the human loving decency of recognizing that if a person has an education and still can't earn above the meagre threshold it says more about the employment market than it says about debt avoidance but lol decency

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Kat Delacour posted:

The Fairfax article raises the point on whether that type of sexually transmitted debt is even reasonable and it will just lead to people lying about their defacto status. It's the enforcement costs outweighing the gains thing again.

Not to mention the human loving decency of recognizing that if a person has an education and still can't earn above the meagre threshold it says more about the employment market than it says about debt avoidance but lol decency

I would love to see some numbers on the source of the "HELP bad debt blowout". how much of it is from universities, and how much from dodgy private VET providers?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

KennyTheFish posted:

I would love to see some numbers on the source of the "HELP bad debt blowout". how much of it is from universities, and how much from dodgy private VET providers?

There was a chart around somewhere that shows the total HECS debt increasing at the same time the VET providers were allowed to offer it.

It's the dumbest issue. The population is growing (duh), the number of people going to uni is increasing (actually a good thing) and private VET courses were added to the bill.

Even Shorten should be able to convincingly point out the hypocrisy of promoting innovation while simultaneously making education less effective and less accessible.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Is class warfare really at a stage where capitalists can chain your personal lifelong debt to your parents and significant other?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

gay picnic defence posted:

Even Shorten should be able to convincingly...

Come on buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Kat Delacour posted:

There's education and there's education. If you knowingly spend the (mostly) Government's money doing a poorly paid degree, well what did you think would happen? Worse, imagine spending a few years of your life on a degree but never actually doing the research to see what it will likely pay. I know people who did exactly this and were surprised when no-one offered them six figures at the end of it.

• Locked thread