Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Sealed Shadows release tonight. Pool had 2 mythics, and three rares in RB with removal and supporting creatures. Went RB, Olivia is bonkers in limited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Hate drafted Sorin even though my draft deck was white-blue. Zero regrets.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Tireless Tracker is an absolute beast of a card. My sealed pool of Green White got me to 3-0, primary win conditions being Tireless Tracker, Odric, and a couple cheap fliers to send my team to the air.

Duskwatch Recruiter was really really good value on both sides of the card
Pious Evangel was good, not amazing
The green Vessel enchantment is AMAZING for turning on delirium, when I cast it on turn 1 I had delirium by turn 4. Helps smooth out mana or finds more creatures.
Obsessive Skinner is great if you can get delirium, which I usually got around turn 7-8 under normal play
Splashed red for Nahiri planeswalker, plus the activation on Nahiri's Machination, which I never activated. I got a little value off the indestructible, but overall that card was bad in my value deck. You can do cute things with stacking Odric's trigger to give your team indestructible, but it didn't really come up for me.
Closed out one game with Drogskol Cavalry, only time I cast it. Did work that game though.

Overall tons of fun. Was my first time playing with werewolves, and there is a LOT of play involved with deciding when to cast spells to force flips. It was really fun when I spotted that I could play an extra instant main phase for a little value to un-flip his werewolf that I couldn't block profitably.

And while I know this is ultimately my responsibility, I'm never again trusting an opponent when I ask him what the flip side does. I'm taking it out of his hands and reading myself. I asked if the back side of his 4/4 werewolf had abilities, he slipped it out of the sleeve partially, looked at it and said "No just vanilla". Later on, oh it's actually 6/5 menace, gently caress me, guess I can't chump like I had planned. Ended up winning, but at lower life than I should have. And opponent said if he had topdecked his fireball he would have had me.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I'm starting to think Obsessive Skinner is constructed playable. It's doing work in some of the right decks.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
And speaking of Obsessive Skinner, the guy I beat in round 2 was playing a kid in round 3, and I overheard the kid checking his own Obsessive Skinner against the opponent's graveyard, and I tried to briefly point out "That card checks your own graveyard" but whatever, it was towards the end of the round, but the older guy actually shut me down. And he was said actually he was HOPING to turn on the little kid's delirium, because he wanted to mill the kid out with his Manic Scribe which he had 2 of. So I thought "well okay, that card must work different than the rest of the cycle, and I must have overheard them talking about the Scribe's trigger".

But no, both of them just straight up checking their opponent's graveyard on the opponent's upkeep, instead of checking their own graveyard on the opponent's upkeep as intended. Thinking back, I think he might have been cheating the kid on purpose, he seemed pretty sharp on the rules and precisely calling out actions before we moved to combat, etc. And obviously if he was going for mill, he was going to turn that kid's delirium on instantly.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Balon posted:

I'm starting to think Obsessive Skinner is constructed playable. It's doing work in some of the right decks.

If Outpost Siege wasn't constructed playable then no way the skinner is. It's pretty bomby in limited though,.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk
Outpost Siege was constructed playable when it was printed.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Despite going 1-2 with no value had a blast drafting. MAtch three was legit one of the best I've had in a while. Two of three games were within one attack. Despite being stuck on four lands one of them. Go go uninvited Geist

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Hate drafted Sorin even though my draft deck was white-blue. Zero regrets.

I feel like you splash the insane 6 cost unbeatable bomb that only has one off-color mana symbol

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Chamale posted:

I already read that thread, but I just realized that this would be a hell of a way to learn that Caro is alive for a goon in this thread.

(For those who don't know, Caro is a goon who went to Libya during the civil war to do reporting and became an unlicensed trauma surgeon, rebel sniper, and a war criminal after deliberately destroying a water tower in the desert. He then tried to join the Free Syrian Army in 2012, was put in one of Assad's death camps, and had been presumed dead since 2013)

Holy gently caress, Caro's alive?

How on earth did this happen.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Voyager I posted:

I feel like I've missed some wonderful history.

I should actually look at more of the forums.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Elyv posted:

I feel like you splash the insane 6 cost unbeatable bomb that only has one off-color mana symbol

I was about to post exactly this.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a mothership article that describes how and why they are powering down standard (I assume on purpose)?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ran RG wolves splashed for Gitrog in draft tonight, went 3-1. went okay.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Baron Porkface posted:

Is there a mothership article that describes how and why they are powering down standard (I assume on purpose)?

I think part one and the final part of their plan involved not loving up by reprinting fetchlands again in Shadows over Innistrad. The rest took care of itself. If that's what you meant by powering down Standard.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Voyager I posted:

Who knows, he got released from Assad's torture dungeons this morning and then unbanned by Lowtax a few hours later

Hopefully he goes and gets his head together instead of posting on SA

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Count Bleck posted:

I feel like I've missed some wonderful history.

I should actually look at more of the forums.

To make a long story short: Caro, real name Kevin Dawes, is a paranoid schizophrenic who decided to go to libya to fight, and ended up in a syrian torture prison where everyone assumed he'd died. This was in part because Brown Moses, a D&D mod, all but outright stated he had died.

He was depicted in a gq profile I'm sure you can find by googling his name, and, somehow, has survived for 4 years in middle eastern hellholes.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I milled a guy out with blue green clue retarded Ness with Tamiyos journal and Geralfs masterpiece. Got the dude that Mills 3 every turn with delirium. Beat him once in the second draft of the day, dropped, and came home to sleep.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Drafted paper for the first time after a handful of Magic Online failures. Went 1-1-1 with BR Vampires (someone else was drafting black vampires and grabbed two Olivia's Bloodsworn and a Heir of Falenrath :argh:) and left with two packs, so I'm definitely doing this as much as possible now.

This set is great.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Why is everyone leaving white wide open in limited? The Wild-field Scarecrow and Fork in the Road turned on delirium super easy for me and the Veteran Cathar made GW sweet for draft you get a topplegeist or two and delirium and the True-Faith Censer and your opponent starts getting upset. That and white has multiple removal spells but everyone in my pod and a few others fought over the GRBU cards and left white alone.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Did a fatpack wizards' tower with some friends tonight. Turns out Avacyn, Uvenwald Hydra, Nahiri, and Geralf's Masterpiece are all really good in wizards tower. Really this whole set is good for wizards tower.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Devor posted:

Thinking back, I think he might have been cheating the kid on purpose, he seemed pretty sharp on the rules

Obsessive Skinner seems like the quintessential card that parses wrong at first glance, since it has an ability that triggers on the opponent's upkeep but counting your graveyard. I'm assuming he just didn't RTFC. It's always interesting to read about how people play cards wrong, anyone else have fun anecdotes along those lines?

(I used to think that I could pay the the kicker cost for a creature after it entered the battlefield)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Chamale posted:

Obsessive Skinner seems like the quintessential card that parses wrong at first glance, since it has an ability that triggers on the opponent's upkeep but counting your graveyard. I'm assuming he just didn't RTFC. It's always interesting to read about how people play cards wrong, anyone else have fun anecdotes along those lines?

(I used to think that I could pay the the kicker cost for a creature after it entered the battlefield)

I thought my opponent's VIridian Emissary had infect at the prerelease MBS prerelease and tried to recur my Brittle Effigy with Sun Titan(yeah, yeah, sick brags) in the M11 prerelease.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Chamale posted:

Before the cast/enter the battlefield renames a lot of that stuff was confusing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Baron Porkface posted:

They aren't. The answer is that FFL didn't test 4 color in BFZ constructed.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

They aren't. The answer is that FFL didn't test 4 color in BFZ constructed.

BJPaskoff posted:

I think part one and the final part of their plan involved not loving up by reprinting fetchlands again in Shadows over Innistrad. The rest took care of itself. If that's what you meant by powering down Standard.

I don't understand how 4 color play affects things like not having a Llanowar elf or shock.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Baron Porkface posted:

I don't understand how 4 color play affects things like not having a Llanowar elf or shock.

wild slash existed, it was actually incinerates that we didn't have

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Baron Porkface posted:

We will have Llanowar elves in standard again my dude. We just don't need them all the time. They're not depowering standard forever, or even at all really, not every format needs every staple. They're slowing it down because aggro has been really loving powerful in standard in the past and will speed it up again probably in the next block

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Red green seems pretty strong when other desk either stumble for early drops or are durdly

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Why not see if this works

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rinkles posted:

Before the cast/enter the battlefield renames a lot of that stuff was confusing.

Putting a card into play wasn't playing it, unless you played it.

You just had to know Elvish Piper and Phage were not friends.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Llanowar Elves specifically was said to be very swingy on the play and difficult to win through in standard.

I think what they said re: Lightning Strike (I guess it would apply to Shock also) is that they don't want the same boring card to be a 4-of in every standard format, so they're printing variants instead (like Fiery Temper and Fiery Impulse). I suspect they're also trying to push red into a role that isn't just aggro

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Symphonie posted:

Outpost Siege was constructed playable when it was printed.

oops I meant the white one that puts counters on creatures. Citadel Siege?

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 9, 2016

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

little munchkin posted:

oops I meant the white one that puts counters on creatures. Citadel Siege?

Citadel Siege was played in the G/W Hardened Scales decks when they first popped onto the scene, if I remember correctly.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Llanowar Elves specifically was said to be very swingy on the play and difficult to win through in standard.

This isn't clicking for me. Why does a card(type) that was fine enough for 8th edition or whatever "difficult" now?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Ramping from 1 to 3 is better and swingier than going from 2 to 4 or from 3 to 5. The end.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

This isn't clicking for me. Why does a card(type) that was fine enough for 8th edition or whatever "difficult" now?

Because the creatures you were farting out for a reward weren't as powerful and there was always the threat of a turn 4 Wrath ruining your day to help keep things in line.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Also why isn't there a normal wrath?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

By not having the best version of a particular effect in every single standard, they can be made more distinct, and easier to balance. If a standard suddenly really needs better ramp, well they can print llanowar elves, whereas previously, they'd print noble hierarchs and deathrite shamans, which are bad for power creep reasons.

Same thing with wraths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think what they said re: Lightning Strike (I guess it would apply to Shock also) is that they don't want the same boring card to be a 4-of in every standard format, so they're printing variants instead (like Fiery Temper and Fiery Impulse). I suspect they're also trying to push red into a role that isn't just aggro

Which is great. I love that they're pushing red to do things other than a one trick pony of aggro.

• Locked thread