Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Majorian posted:

That's not really the case at all when it comes to the religious left.:stare: Do you think Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, Desmond Tutu, or any other examples were just using religion cynically to motivate the plebs? No, they genuinely believed in what they were preaching, and that's why people followed them. They believed that their cause was right and just. One can say that things like morality and justice come from God, or that they're simply implicitly agreed-upon codes of behavior among humans, but either way, it's ridiculous to suggest that good religious people do good things for "the wrong reasons." They're not just doing it because of arbitrary commandments in ancient scriptures; they're doing it because they want to be good people and want to help their fellow man.

No. MLK and friends may sincerely believe that god would prefer a world with less oppression. However -
1. anyone who isn't also religious cannot in good faith (heh) make that religious argument, too, without doing it for the practical reason of there being lovely religious people that need to be convinced no matter how (i.e. I don't care how wrong or uninformed you are, I just want you to stop oppressing people no matter why)
2. if your belief that god prefers the world to be better is not derived from scripture but from your own thinking, you are being a humanist who doesn't want to admit it (a hypothetical god may or may not think you're doing a good job, but you can't know that unless he pops up and confirms it)
3. religion can be used to justify pretty much anything while evidence stays the same even if you really wanted to find different evidence. People who agree with you because of their ~religious feelings~ are allies of convenience at best, unless 2. applies (which is probably true for most believers) and they'll adjust their religion to their own thinking or to evidence and not the other way around

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Majorian posted:

I'm not arguing that anyone should believe as I do, though. I'm just asking blowfish and all other r/atheism types to stop being dicks towards religious/spiritual/theistic/whatever people, as if we're all Pat Robertson fans or whatever.:psyduck:

That just helps convince people that left vs. right politics is the same as spirituality versus atheism, which it shouldn't be.

I don't care about left vs. right beyond the most basic things like preferring a guaranteed standard of living to a FYGM Mad Max world. I care about defaulting to pragmatic, evidence based decisions, without regard for any irrational hopes or fears if necessary. For any question that can be decided by evidence, if you prefer sincerely held and cherished beliefs to evidence, you have the kind of ossified thinking that needs to stay far away from any decision making process.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Daaaw, you're a sweetie. But you misunderstand, I'm never offing myself.
Anti-vaxxerism is a deep, cherished belief for anti-vaxxers. Sometimes it's necessary to attack deep, cherished, internalized beliefs. I of course expect the same standard from you, but this refrain of 'well those atheists are just being dicks calling religion stupid' is absurd. If everyone gets their own special cop-out from criticism if they can fit into a majority group, then majority insanities are here forever.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 9, 2016

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Humans are animals. So yes, animals can because humans can.

There are things humans can do that animals cannot do. Why is that? You could say that all living things have 'soul' but only humans have 'mind' - and in that mind-making process there is some small amount of individual choice/will. Remember the stories of genesis, which are allegory, or very deformed history from past ages. Humans have a level of self-awareness animals do not, but things like mortality and language still make us lesser than God.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 9, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

McDowell posted:

There are things humans can do that animals cannot do. Why is that? You could say that all living things have 'soul' but only humans have 'mind' - and in that mind-making process there is some small amount of individual choice/will. Remember the stories of genesis, which are allegory, or very deformed history from past ages. Humans have a level of self-awareness animals do not, but things like mortality and language still make us lesser than God.

There are things animals can do that humans cannot do. You could say that all living things have 'sensors' but only bats have high resolution ultrasound 'vision' - etc.

There is no reason to think it's impossible for another animal to evolve human-like intelligence and self-reflection. Being able to think a little better does not inherently mean you're special.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

There is no reason to think it's impossible for another animal to evolve human-like intelligence and self-reflection. Being able to think a little better does not inherently mean you're special.

Yup, who can say there aren't other planets with animal kingdoms and other vehicles with similar moral/economic struggles? This planet is very old and isn't going anywhere, too.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Can I whine to Odin instead? Would that be more useful or less useful in seeing a grand design when all I see is nature and it's laws?

Crowsbeak posted:

You could. Don't know if it would do you any good. As the Eddas are clear he is rather limited. But all power to you.

Ok, now step back, and let's rearrange some things.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Can I whine to OdinGod instead? Would that be more useful or less useful in seeing a grand design when all I see is nature and it's laws?

Humanists posted:

You could. Don't know if it would do you any good. As the EddasBible is clear he is rather limited. But all power to you.

And that's where we start to hit a roadblock.

I don't know if it's because you're being obtuse about it or if you genuinely don't understand this, but your perception of reality and the world around us is different, sometimes at odds, with myself, other non-faithful and almost everything we use to interpret the world around us. From the deep sciences on down to casual observation of ourselves and others, we've been able to come up with explanations for things that were once in the domain of the divine. Not that it makes them any more or less amazing or beautiful, just now that we can trace that back.

When you look at us and see that we can't behold divine inspiration, we look at you and see that you can't behold the simple but elegant way that the world comes together, or how it has built up to that point. In a way, we see each other on the same level: ignorant of a basic truth.

But back to the point up above. When you say that praying to Odin probably won't do me much good, then you are simply stating a name on a list to us. Praying to Odin would be about as effective as praying to Zeus, or sending offering to Izanagi, or baptising ourselves in Jesus' name. They are, at their most, literary and oratory figures that had significance in stories and parables of the past, but never actually existed or had any of the strange powers that their texts said they had. They are Gilgamesh, or King Arthur and his Scabbard, or Harry Dresden. 'God', with much the same proof and validity as these other deities, is just another name on the list of things we don't have any evidence to believe in.

So when you argue with us that we have to take up that argument with God, realize that I might as well argue with Harry Dresden. It'd accomplish the same amount of change and end in the same way.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

J.A.B.C. posted:

Ok, now step back, and let's rearrange some things.

And that's where we start to hit a roadblock.

I don't know if it's because you're being obtuse about it or if you genuinely don't understand this, but your perception of reality and the world around us is different, sometimes at odds, with myself, other non-faithful and almost everything we use to interpret the world around us. From the deep sciences on down to casual observation of ourselves and others, we've been able to come up with explanations for things that were once in the domain of the divine. Not that it makes them any more or less amazing or beautiful, just now that we can trace that back.

When you look at us and see that we can't behold divine inspiration, we look at you and see that you can't behold the simple but elegant way that the world comes together, or how it has built up to that point. In a way, we see each other on the same level: ignorant of a basic truth.

But back to the point up above. When you say that praying to Odin probably won't do me much good, then you are simply stating a name on a list to us. Praying to Odin would be about as effective as praying to Zeus, or sending offering to Izanagi, or baptising ourselves in Jesus' name. They are, at their most, literary and oratory figures that had significance in stories and parables of the past, but never actually existed or had any of the strange powers that their texts said they had. They are Gilgamesh, or King Arthur and his Scabbard, or Harry Dresden. 'God', with much the same proof and validity as these other deities, is just another name on the list of things we don't have any evidence to believe in.

So when you argue with us that we have to take up that argument with God, realize that I might as well argue with Harry Dresden. It'd accomplish the same amount of change and end in the same way.

Well you see actually I could consider them existing. But being that they are of only the universe they wouldn't do you much good. Compared to the actual Creator.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

the actual Creator.

[citation needed]

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Crowsbeak posted:

Well you see actually I could consider them existing. But being that they are of only the universe they wouldn't do you much good. Compared to the actual Creator.

Fine, then. By what standard does your God get any special treatment, as considered to the other Gods? Why is his creation myth valid while any number of others aren't?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

J.A.B.C. posted:

Fine, then. By what standard does your God get any special treatment, as considered to the other Gods? Why is his creation myth valid while any number of others aren't?

because only He gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling, of course~

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

J.A.B.C. posted:

Well my God almost certainly is their origin. Also about Allah, well to me Allah is just a bad interpretation of the Trinity. As are any other actual creator Gods.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Crowsbeak posted:

Well my God almost certainly is their origin

and your proof of this is?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

Well my God almost certainly is their origin. Also about Allah, well to me Allah is just a bad interpretation of the Trinity. As are any other actual creator Gods.

ok which god is your god and how do you know he's not just a figment of your imagination

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Literally The Worst posted:

and your proof of this is?

Plato, Origen, Philo of Alexandria. The fact the pagan Gods were limited.

blowfish posted:

ok which god is your god and how do you know he's not just a figment of your imagination

Well I don't but then if you are implying I am insane in believing him I will gladly continue to seek him out. Because quite frankly his world is a good deal better then whatever you're offering.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

Well I don't but then if you are implying I am insane in believing him I will gladly continue to seek him out. Because quite frankly his world is a good deal better then whatever you're offering.

so how can you be sure (or even reasonably assume) you're not just using belief as a coping mechanism for depression

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

blowfish posted:

so how can you be sure (or even reasonably assume) you're not just using belief as a coping mechanism for depression

I cannot, none of us can. But I will still treat God to be there even if there isn't a God.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

I cannot, none of us can. But I will still treat God to be there even if there isn't a God.
so basically you need to think you're being watched over by big brother god to keep functioning and probably have too much sadbrains to appreciate a world where people are adults and can choose their own destiny.

i suppose that is at least a honest position if nothing else

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

blowfish posted:

so basically you need to think you're being watched over by big brother god to keep functioning and probably have too much sadbrains to appreciate a world where people are adults and can choose their own destiny.

Well it is sad that you think that being rude makes you an adult. Really I will say that if being secular means not being able to teach offspring how to not be rude then it really isn't worth it. At least thats what I am getting from you.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Crowsbeak posted:

Really I will say that if being secular means not being able to teach offspring how to not be rude then it really isn't worth it.

"really what i'm hearing here is that not being religious makes you an immoral rear end in a top hat, shame, really"

come on dude

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

Well it is sad that you think that being rude makes you an adult. Really I will say that if being secular means not being able to teach offspring how to not be rude then it really isn't worth it. At least thats what I am getting from you.

:lol:

Still missing the point. At this point you're so thick it's probably intentional. Just in case you're actually that much of a dumb gently caress, being secular or religious and thinking that "wouldn't it be nice if we were all nice to each other :roboluv:" is the be-all end-all of human society aren't causally linked. See e.g. every religious extremist rear end in a top hat that exists.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

"really what i'm hearing here is that not being religious makes you an immoral rear end in a top hat, shame, really"

come on dude

I didn't say not believing in God makes one so. I am saying that you two are very bad examples of your own side.

blowfish posted:

:lol:

Still missing the point. At this point you're so thick it's probably intentional. Just in case you're actually that much of a dumb gently caress, being secular or religious and thinking that "wouldn't it be nice if we were all nice to each other :roboluv:" is the be-all end-all of human society aren't causally linked. See e.g. every religious extremist rear end in a top hat that exists.

So, people treating each other better is appalling. Good to know. Once again I feel bad that at the moment the atheist side is being so badly represented.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 9, 2016

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
God exists because some atheists were mean to me on the internet :colbert:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

I didn't say not believing in God makes one so. I am saying that you two are very bad examples of your own side.

So, people treating each other better is appalling. Good to know. Once again I feel bad that at the moment the atheist side is being so badly represented.

:lol: if you think living in a nice but fundamentally delusional world is better than living in a world with rude people but where people actually try to discover and debate reality. protip: being rudely told off while someone is trying to prove your opinions dumb and wrong is better treatment than being babied by someone concerned over ever hurting someone's precious feelings

it makes you look like an eternal manchild

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Crowsbeak posted:

all i asked for was for you to back up your claims, dude, don't lump me in with that ding dong

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Kilroy posted:

God exists because some atheists were mean to me on the internet :colbert:

No, but atheism is rather badly represented when those promoting it believe being utterly rude is the best way to do so. I mean how many people here love those street preachers that tell everyone God hates them?

all i asked for was for you to back up your claims, dude, don't lump me in with that ding dong

Already explained myself. I will believe in God even if God doesn't exist and live my life if God was there. Which of course makes me a horrible person.

blowfish posted:

:lol: if you think living in a nice but fundamentally delusional world is better than living in a world with rude people but where people actually try to discover and debate reality. protip: being rudely told off while someone is trying to prove your opinions dumb and wrong is better treatment than being babied by someone concerned over ever hurting someone's precious feelings

it makes you look like an eternal manchild

Yes suggesting you not be rude to people makes me the eternal manchild. I mean would you explain here why we should be rude to people over believing in God? I think it would be quite enlightening.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 9, 2016

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Crowsbeak posted:

No, but atheism is rather badly represented when those promoting it believe being utterly rude is the best way to do so. I mean how many people here love those street preachers that tell everyone God hates them?
I didn't decide to be an atheist because I was annoyed by street preachers.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

I'm not trying to convert you over the internet.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Kilroy posted:

I didn't decide to be an atheist because I was annoyed by street preachers.

I didn't say you were. I am saying that Street preachers do not actually convert people but push them away. Just as you push people away from Atheism.,

blowfish posted:

I'm not trying to convert you over the internet.

THen why take offense to my believing in God if it was not offensive that I believed you would not care.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

I didn't say you were. I am saying that Street preachers do not actually convert people but push them away. Just as you push people away from Atheism.,

THen why take offense to my believing in God if it was not offensive that I believed you would not care.

Because we are having an internet slapfight on D&D

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

blowfish posted:

Because we are having an internet slapfight on D&D

So it is then all about being : smugbert:

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Many atheists are motivated by belief that they have achieved secret knowledge that other people have not. Like the Gnostics, some of them then conclude that people who don't immediately believe their revelation must have something wrong with them. Religiosity must be insanity.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

Many atheists are motivated by belief that they have achieved secret knowledge that other people have not. Like the Gnostics, some of them then conclude that people who don't immediately believe their revelation must have something wrong with them. Religiosity must be insanity.

Recognising that humans are fallible and cannot possibly know there is some superior being (which conveniently tends to reward exactly what the believer thinks is good behaviour), the height of presumption and arrogance.

Also, unlike beliefs, brain activity measurements don't go away when you stop believing in them.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

There are things humans can do that animals cannot do. Why is that?

Again, humans are animals, we belong to the kingdom animalia, the phylum chordata, class synapsida, and so on so on so forth. So anything we can do is de facto something that can be done by animals (specifically the human animal). As for why we have different characteristics than other animals the answer is the same for why we can't run as fast as a cheetah, aren't a strong as a gorilla, and cannot fly like so many other species; we evolved differently. There's absolutely no reason to say that we are special beyond that we have evolved in a different manner when compared to other animals and not because of divine magic.

Crowsbeak posted:

I didn't say not believing in God makes one so.

Yes you did. Right here, to be exact:

Crowsbeak posted:

Really I will say that if being secular means not being able to teach offspring how to not be rude then it really isn't worth it.

You do realize that people can scroll up to see what you posted before, right? What you say doesn't just evaporate into the aether.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Again, humans are animals, we belong to the kingdom animalia, the phylum chordata, class synapsida, and so on so on so forth. So anything we can do is de facto something that can be done by animals (specifically the human animal). As for why we have different characteristics than other animals the answer is the same for why we can't run as fast as a cheetah, aren't a strong as a gorilla, and cannot fly like so many other species; we evolved differently. There's absolutely no reason to say that we are special beyond that we have evolved in a different manner when compared to other animals and not because of divine magic.

b-b-b-but my precious meanings :sadbrains:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Yes you did. Right here, to be exact:

You do realize that people can scroll up to see what you posted before, right? What you say doesn't just evaporate into the aether.

The fact you cannot read is not my fault. As I said I was suggesting that he and you likewise are rather poor arguments for atheism. Sorry that you choose to not understand that.

But such is a person who believes life should consist of their brains pleasure center being constantly turned on like some Clive Barker character.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Recognising that humans are fallible and cannot possibly know there is some superior being (which conveniently tends to reward exactly what the believer thinks is good behaviour), the height of presumption and arrogance.

Also, unlike beliefs, brain activity measurements don't go away when you stop believing in them.

And assuredly, 365 Aeons emanate from the Creator, and the last of these, Sophia, created the malformed Yaldabaoth, who trapped many divine sparks in the material world. Those who don't automatically recognize the truth of this statement are products of the material world alone and can never leave it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Materialism is cool and good.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Crowsbeak posted:

Who do I push away from atheism? I actually know a few people who became atheist due to my influence and have remained so for decades. And I wasn't even trying to "convert" anyone!

The people in this thread aren't being that rude to you - it's more that you're just incredibly thin-skinned. I mean, the treatment you're getting is nothing compared to what would be coming your way if you were some kind of homophobe or bigot or something else that actually mattered instead of just having laughably wrong and anachronistic intuitions about how the universe works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If God exists he does not love us and this thread is proud. No divine being who cared for man would allow this kind of posting.

• Locked thread