Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Depends where you are. My nba tv account is Canadian, although i live in Aus, but there is no blackouts as far as I have seen and I assume atleast Raptors games would have national coverage sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

be nice wicka posted:

MLB.tv blacks out your local games. MLS live blacks out all national televised games, even if they're on poo poo tier channels like unimas. the answer to the question is that, unless you had no significant TV presence before (e.g. motogp), it's still going to be more lucrative to give priority to traditional TV channels.

I don't live in the USA, blackouts don't apply.

I expect people affected by blackouts employ a proxy.

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?

:australia:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Wow those are rad.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Ah, the 80ies. When the world was still alright.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Whitey Ford posted:

I don't live in the USA, blackouts don't apply.

I expect people affected by blackouts employ a proxy.

they block many of the major proxies. most people don't know what a proxy is or how to use one anyway.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It actually is very easy to get around MLB blackouts via proxy. For now most average people certainly don't know how to do it though.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Halo14 posted:

Wow those are rad.

Wow, those are so Cool and Good

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

simplefish posted:

- You don't think Merc has the fastest car?

- I would like to see closer points at the top with gappier points lower down, so 1st gets 25 points, 2nd gets 24, but the difference between 9th and 10th is like 10 points. I don't know, someone could do the maths, but the key thing of better places meaning points not penalties is kept, except you gotta work harder at the top because your rivals don't fall behind so quickly.

- I do think there is a need, when considering major rule changes, to consider when it isn't "F1" in character but only in name and has become a poor imitation of another series. I'm not saying it has, but if you want X from your Motorsport and X isn't in F1 but is in Rallycross, go watch that instead.

Hey we could do that as a fun thread thing: what are some of the defining features of F1 that should be present throughout changes, in your opinions?

- British teams
- British drivers
- British tracks

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

poty posted:

- British teams
- British drivers
- British tracks

:britain:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

be nice wicka posted:

"ballast" is a metaphor, it would actually be implemented as time penalties. but to answer your question, it's a competition, penalizing the best teams defeats the point of a competition. plus - it's not going to work. it's F1, teams are going to figure out the best balancing of starting/finishing positions to maximize points gained given ballast penalties, it will make the sport even worse.

Are these the same rocket scientists that couldn't figure out how to think 2 minutes ahead in order to have their drivers complete laps inside the timeout on the elimination-style qualy?

Which was a much better system than the 2015 one, so Mercedes lobbied hard and got it killed. F1 is dead.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Good things about Britain:

-Old cars
-Tea
-Claire Williams

Bad things about Britain:
-Lewis Hamilton

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

bad things about lewis hamilton:
-britain

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Bad things about claire williams:
clothes

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

be nice wicka posted:

bad things about lewis hamilton:
-britain

His fake glasses were pretty dumb

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

His fake glasses were pretty dumb

I wish SJWs actually watched F1 because Lewis would've been done in for cultural appropriation of so much poo poo.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

lewis is great because he's what everyone always claims they want - a driver who isn't super generic and boring - yet he isn't interesting in the exact way fans demand, so they just hate him. he's such a silly little douche and i love it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

be nice wicka posted:

lewis is great because he's what everyone always claims they want - a driver who isn't super generic and boring - yet he isn't interesting in the exact way fans demand, so they just hate him. he's such a silly little douche and i love it.

Oh I agree. I personally love having someone on the grid to absolutely dispise.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Lewis is fake as hell, nothing about him seems genuine, he's like the classic girl who went to catholic school and then tries to be rebellious by sucking a bunch of dicks at a party.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

Lewis is fake as hell, nothing about him seems genuine, he's like the classic girl who went to catholic school and then tries to be rebellious by sucking a bunch of dicks at a party.

pretty much exactly that, yeah

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's more that he's a fake tryhard. People really don't dress the way he does in the UK, his "style" is really really American, and to us he looks like a posh chav. When you have someone dressed like that banging on about how he is proud to be British after not living here for 10 years, even the "general public" starts to see through it, as we saw this year with him getting less votes than a racist sexist former member of the traveller community in sports personality of the year.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

El Hefe posted:

To be fair I'd say your hypothetical catholic girl succeded

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

learnincurve posted:

It's more that he's a fake tryhard. People really don't dress the way he does in the UK, his "style" is really really American, and to us he looks like a posh chav. When you have someone dressed like that banging on about how he is proud to be British after not living here for 10 years, even the "general public" starts to see through it, as we saw this year with him getting less votes than a racist sexist former member of the traveller community in sports personality of the year.

I don't know many Americans that have style like lewis.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

poty posted:

- British teams
- British drivers
- British tracks

:yikes:

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

1500quidporsche posted:

I wish SJWs actually watched F1 because Lewis would've been done in for cultural appropriation of so much poo poo.

they don't give a drat when it's done by someone with a bit of melanin in the skin

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Norns posted:

Most exposure we have to the way "Americans" dress is via instagram, music videos, and the like.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The real history of Formula 1 is Germans and Italians dominating the sport until they get sick of it and the British can pretend they fought an underdog's fight to triumph.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I thought the history of formula 1 was all about finding loopholes in the rules so teams can gain a secret advantage until they are found out. Haas are fast learners, I predict great things for them in the future.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the real history of formula 1 is that everything looks better in hindsight

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

learnincurve posted:

Most exposure we have to the way "Americans" dress is via instagram, music videos, and the like.

Also I live in idaho and people here are shaped like literal potatoes

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
People always poo poo on the Ferrari years because they were boring but there were actually a few seasons that were really good and hard fought like 2000 and 2003, and the same thing with the Red Bull years with 2010 and 2012 being entertaining seasons, but these Mercedes years have been completely undeniably loving awful.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Riso posted:

The real history of Formula 1 is Germans and Italians dominating the sport until they get sick of it and the British can pretend they fought an underdog's fight to triumph.

A post-avatar combo to conjure with.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Norns posted:

Lewis dresses like he watched a Missy Eliot music video and told his stylist, "That!"

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Lewis is an amateur cultural appropriator. As with all racing, bike racers do it way better. This guy won the GP championship that year.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have no problem with Mercedes becoming constructors champions again provided that Nico utterly stomps on Lewis in the WDC and we get to watch him slowly spiral out of control and ultimately quit the sport.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Haha that shirt is amazing

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
The best thing is that I bet no one in Japan was offended by that shirt.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

People always poo poo on the Ferrari years because they were boring but there were actually a few seasons that were really good and hard fought like 2000 and 2003, and the same thing with the Red Bull years with 2010 and 2012 being entertaining seasons, but these Mercedes years have been completely undeniably loving awful.

yes, at and the time those seasons were still awful because you still had the shadow of ferrari/red bull dominance cast over what would otherwise be entertaining. and in hindsight we have the privilege of saying "wow eight winners in eight races, crazy stuff" and forget the sheer soul sucking awfulness of vettel getting hot at the end of the season and winning again, or the fact that every dang vettel race win was just him on pole and turning up the engine for the first three laps to build a 10 second lead and then coasting his way home.

i guarantee we will have a poo poo season 5 or 10 years from now and everyone will turn their rose colored glasses to 2014-16 and find ways to romanticize mercedes' dominance

wicka fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 9, 2016

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Every country that isn't Japan can go to hell, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

be nice wicka posted:

yes, at and the time those seasons were still awful because you still had the shadow of ferrari/red bull dominance cast over what would otherwise be entertaining. and in hindsight we have the privilege of saying "wow eight winners in eight races, crazy stuff" and forget the sheer soul sucking awfulness of vettel getting hot at the end of the season and winning again, or the fact that every dang vettel race win was just him on pole and turning up the engine for the first three laps to build a 10 second lead and then coasting his way home.

i guarantee will we have a poo poo season 5 or 10 years from now and everyone will turn their rose colored glasses to 2014-16 and find ways to romanticize mercedes' dominance

2000 and 2003 were good seasons.

• Locked thread