Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't find any of that compelling. Evil aliens and exploring weird untamed planets with mysterious ruins was a formula I was totally happy with.

I don't disagree with you. I love Fusion, but I can see why people don't like it. I don't mind the idea Metroid being a bit more narrative-driven so long as it isn't interrupted by any more dialog than Fusion is.

IMO Fusion's biggest problem isn't the computer and the cinematic presentation but rather that the game's point of no return is kind of loving mean because it really sneaks up on you. To avoid it and keep exploring you have to travel between the different research decks via secret passages, some of which can be hard to find. Once you approach an exit elevator everything gets locked down and you're forced to go to the end boss.

Just gonna post this now cause it owns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxJkSDXagrU

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Plan Z posted:

After Prime, I honestly can't imagine a good non-first-person fully-3d Metroid game. I can't think of too many great 3d exploration-based games that did it first-person, though I'm fine with being corrected.

Not sure what you mean by "fully 3d" but there have been a couple good isometric / 3/4 angle metroidish games. Ys Origin on pc and Scurge:Hive on GBA/ds come to mind.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The PS4 Remote Play system to let me play my PS4 games on my PC is pretty great and I recommend everyone set it up.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Not sure what you mean by "fully 3d" but there have been a couple good isometric / 3/4 angle metroidish games. Ys Origin on pc and Scurge:Hive on GBA/ds come to mind.

Now all someone needs to do is make a second-person Metroid game where you play as Adam and have to instruct Samus through everything.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would prefer a way to remote play my PC games on my PS4 to be honest.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Plan Z posted:

After Prime, I honestly can't imagine a good non-first-person fully-3d Metroid game. I can't think of too many great 3d exploration-based games that did it first-person, though I'm fine with being corrected.

Batman Arkham Asylum was basically third person 3D Metroid and I always thought it was a shame they went open world-ish for the sequels.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

The PS4 Remote Play system to let me play my PS4 games on my PC is pretty great and I recommend everyone set it up.

What's the point of that?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

I guess to appeal to people who have a pc and a ps4 but for some reason don't want to cut out the middleman and just play the pc versions of those games?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

People who want to pretend to play Bloodborne on their PC.

Serious answer: not everyone lives alone and sometimes it's handy to be able to play stuff on more than one screen.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah, Steam in-home streaming is awesome, and I don't even need a ps4 to do it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jay Rust posted:

I don't have a TV but have a PS4 so it works out pretty great for me.

Also if say I did have a TV and someone wanted to use it, I could play my PS4 games on my PC without disturbing them.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sakurazuka posted:

I could never play Boktai here, not enough sun.

I live in Texas and could not play Boktai because the sun was so bright it overloaded the meter and the game thought I was cheating

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

My god. Thanks for bringing this to my attention

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

Batman Arkham Asylum was basically third person 3D Metroid and I always thought it was a shame they went open world-ish for the sequels.

For sure, it remains unique and interesting as a result though, so I think it's nice that we have both a good open-world and a good Metroid-style Batman game from the same studio.

I'd love to have a Arkham Asylum-style Bat game again.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
fun fact: enter the gungeon is a blatant attempt by noted fuckers devolver digital to take over the nuclear throne phenomenon -- they even hired the same musician and everything

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
How dare those noted fuckers make a really good game and pay a talented musician for their time. We should boycott them immediately

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll meet you on the lawn in front of the Devolver Digital offices for the rally.

Edit - Why is it a bad thing that Enter The Gungeon is similar to Nuclear Throne? People don't get mad about games being similar genres/styles do they?

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 9, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

corn in the bible posted:

fun fact: enter the gungeon is a blatant attempt by noted fuckers devolver digital to take over the nuclear throne phenomenon -- they even hired the same musician and everything

Gungeon is cool and good and more rougue-lite shooters are cool and good.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Unfunny Poster posted:

I'll meet you on the lawn in front of the Devolver Digital offices for the rally.

I'll be the guy with the giant bag of money labeled "FOR: Shadow Warrior 2 Pre-Order"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What is it about the word "rogue" that causes so many misspellings

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

"gue" isn't a very common combination of letters in English, and "rouge" is also a word.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Jay Rust posted:

The misspellings are also common words and that causes spellcheckers to miss when people use the wrong one.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don't think those are the real reasons, I honestly believe it has something to do with English keyboard layout. I have no proof, however

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

nuclear thrones is extremely good, and fun

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'll be the guy with the giant bag of money labeled "FOR: Shadow Warrior 2 Pre-Order"

:argh:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

you're basically correct, except it was all the dev's choices cause he really liked Devolver and NT (and well, his original publisher fell apart)

FWIW though it doesn't feel like a cheap imitation though, they crammed about everything they could think of in there and still had a few more things they wished they could do

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 9, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Lol I didn't even notice. Also phone posting and :justpost: -ing

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Gaming Drama update (not Gamergate though):

Good(?) news: One of the guys who made The Stanley Parable is NOT losing his whole leg due to a car accident. Jesus.

Bad news: "Famous" Youtuber Tobuscus (who you might know as the EXTREMELY hyperactive, annoying poo poo that even Aisha Tyler couldn't contain her contempt for at the Ubisoft E3 show a few years back), loved by many children across the internet and now a guy who has his own toy in Toys R Us..... Surprise! He's a drugged up rapist! Wowwy. Other ladies are coming forward with similar stories as well.

Boy, this hell-month for games is relentless, huh.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He was also the guy who videotaped himself crying about Robin Williams dying, then uploaded it to YouTube and monetized the video.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

VoidBurger posted:

Good(?) news: One of the guys who made The Stanley Parable is NOT losing his whole leg due to a car accident. Jesus.

Bad news: "Famous" Youtuber Tobuscus (who you might know as the EXTREMELY hyperactive, annoying poo poo that even Aisha Tyler couldn't contain her contempt for at the Ubisoft E3 show a few years back), loved by many children across the internet and now a guy who has his own toy in Toys R Us..... Surprise! He's a drugged up rapist! Wowwy. Other ladies are coming forward with similar stories as well.

First link, holy poo poo, thank goodness. Second, link, holy poo poo! She is putting herself right in the line of fire. :(

Edit:

Unfunny Poster posted:

He was also the guy who videotaped himself crying about Robin Williams dying, then uploaded it to YouTube and monetized the video.

WTF, are you serious?

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 9, 2016

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

VoidBurger posted:

Nice to see he hasn't lost his sense of humor.

https://twitter.com/HonestWilliam/status/716904262157135872

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I watched a gameplay video and the boss in it was Vulcan Raven from MGS only literally a giant raven and I completely lost interest because I am so sick of indie games that think references are an acceptable substitute for humor or writing or character design.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Unfunny Poster posted:

What a guy! :eyepop:

What a guy. :kiddo:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wamdoodle posted:

Edit:

WTF, are you serious?

Nope. Here's SA's own Slowbeef from when it happened.

https://twitter.com/slowbeef/status/500386500010598402

So yeah basically the dude is a piece of poo poo.

Edit - In totally unrelated stuff, I got tweeted at by some VFX guy for Star Wars Battlefront wanting to play EVE Online again because of a video I made for a war happening in the game that got picked up by Kotaku.

What the gently caress?

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 9, 2016

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

VoidBurger posted:

It's on tumblr, it must be true!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I can believe it, it's a Youtube celebrity after all

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The new Tomb Raider is really good you guys and I'm so happy that my Dragon's Dogma save bugges out two hours in and I refunded so I could play it sooner.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
No proof, short of time traveling and being a fly on the wall during the assaults of every single person that comes forward about this, will ever be good enough to peeps like you anyhow so w/e.

Other horrible, useless gaming drama news (Which is borderline GamerGate? I'm not sure what qualifies as Gamergate anymore honestly?? They claim ownership of everything that happens these days...):
TotalBiscuit (who's supposed to have quit social media, I thought?) got very mad that FeministFrequency was streaming not-games-footage on Twitch. The rumor that I can't find evidence for is this: He's so peeved that he set up some sort of spite-charity-fundraiser things for "real feminism," whatever that means?

Anyway, regardless of the charity claim, it's not only completely within Twitch's TOS to stream what FemFreq was streaming, but TB himself streams his own podcast out of there, which also isn't game footage. Twitch streams Bob Ross (not games) and people making bongs (not games) and there's no outrage for that, y'know.

I can't find any links about the charity thing though, it happened yesterday, I think? Not sure.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Twitch allows for Creative streaming and I think whatever non-game stuff they were doing on there qualified under that. But when I watched FemFreq's Twitch they were playing games on the stream (Fantastic Contraption is what I saw), so I dunno what TB's upset about. All I know is that Titan Souls called him Toilet Biscuit once and he made an audio podcast in response about how THE FEMINAZIS wont leave him alone even though, all the Titan Souls dev did was call him Toilet Biscuit? So a very proportionate response there

This is actually not the first time a "real feminism" spite charity thing was started THIS YEAR and my thought is the same: he could have just donated to a charity himself, or started a charity effort and not said anything about why he did it, but instead it's a political statement about "get politics away from me!". Good job

the twitch chat for FemFreq was amazing by the way, I've never seen so many MESSAGE DELETEDs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
You'd think that TotalBiscuit would be more interested in donating to cancer research than feminism.

• Locked thread