Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
My dead tax dodging dad :'(

who had the bet?

e; April 9th, 1937: the Kamikaze lands in Croydon, being the first Japanese aircraft to fly the Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

dispatch_async posted:

Hameron is going to publish "the information that goes into my tax return", which seems very carefully worded.

By definition the information that goes into his tax return won't include undeclared savings, so uh

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Renaissance Robot posted:

By definition the information that goes into his tax return won't include undeclared savings, so uh

Or offshore companies expressly set up for the avoidance of tax.

God what a tossbag.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Angepain posted:

the primary role of all policy should be to make Britain win all the international pissing contests going, we are destined to be the greatest country in the world ever and anything short of that is a failure. People in the country actually being able to feed themselves comes about sixth or seventh on the priority list.

Schwein reich, schwein volk, Schweinfuhrer.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

All it's going to do is increase calls for details of the savings he isn't required by law to declare.

He keeps falling short of what's being asked and all that does is make him look worse and worse as he tries to weasel out of just talking about it. This is, what, the sixth incremental step towards admitting it? I don't know how he managed a successful career in PR if he can't even see this.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Noxville posted:

I don't know how he managed a successful career in PR if he can't even see this.

Did he, though? He had a job in PR, but I don't know whether it would be right to call it either successful or a career. I'd be interested to find out though.

Mostly he's looked good because his opponents and his allies have looked worse, not because he's looked good. Corbyn being... you know, nice, and human, is really showing Cambot for what he is.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

thespaceinvader posted:

Did he, though? He had a job in PR, but I don't know whether it would be right to call it either successful or a career. I'd be interested to find out though.

well Apartheid fell apart so he pretty resolutely failed on that one

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Spangly A posted:

well Apartheid fell apart so he pretty resolutely failed on that one

Ehh I was gonna make some jokey weaselly statement about how he does not currently and will not support apartheid in the future.

Then I remembered Israel. So no joke, just double gently caress Cameron.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

Schwein reich, schwein volk, Schweinfuhrer.
New thread title?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I really find it hard to believe that any Tory voters are surprised by all this tax dodging. Isn't this just the behaviour they aspire to?

Has anyone asked Osborne if he considers Cameron Senior to be a thief?

Also I checked the dedicated Panama Papers thread here and every third post is "but what about America?" loving yanks.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The answer with America is 'Delaware'

They don't need to go offshore.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Noxville posted:

All it's going to do is increase calls for details of the savings he isn't required by law to declare.

He keeps falling short of what's being asked and all that does is make him look worse and worse as he tries to weasel out of just talking about it. This is, what, the sixth incremental step towards admitting it? I don't know how he managed a successful career in PR if he can't even see this.

Basically yeah this has been a huge shambles and if he releases incomplete or false info he may well actually have to resign eventually.

I think the endless torrent of poo poo boomeranging back onto Tory faces distracted him somewhat because this thing has been uncharacteristically stupid PR-wise.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

I really find it hard to believe that any Tory voters are surprised by all this tax dodging. Isn't this just the behaviour they aspire to?

Has anyone asked Osborne if he considers Cameron Senior to be a thief?

Also I checked the dedicated Panama Papers thread here and every third post is "but what about America?" loving yanks.

Well yeah. The "aspirational" right is just pantomiming it up. To the narrative the right wing is still the "Law and order" part of society. This has always been bullshit but it's a very persistent lie.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Would that make Labour the Not Law and Order party? Because that sounds like fun.

marktheando posted:

This is an American forum for American posters, that's why we write in English, duh! :smugdon:

(not an argument I've seen here, but one lifted verbatim from a wikipedia flamewar years back about putting the USA at the top of a particular list of countries that was otherwise alphabetical)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 9, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Would that make Labour the Not Law and Order party? Because that sounds like fun.
Unfortunately Labour have bought into the whole 'tough on crime' horseshit too, at least the New Labour faction.

Which then leads to kneejerk bans, laws about selling grey squirrels, and firing scientific advisers for doing science.

There is a lot of press bias in this though, when New Labour tries to legislate social conformity, the gutter press calls them out as nutjob draconian lefties and mocks the bad laws for the entirely wrong reasons, whereas when the Tories do it, it's making the necessary tough choices to keep are families safe.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Replacement Dan Hodges and former Labour MP who lost in Scotland Tom Harris has got the hot scoop in the Telegraph of what people should be angry about.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/08/labour-are-once-again-falling-into-the-old-trap-of-sneering-at-w/

quote:

Cameron's tax affairs: Labour are once again falling into the old trap of sneering at wealth

How much of a oval office does he want to be to try make this point?

quote:

And as we all know, proper working class people hate unearned wealth. That’s why you never, ever see queues of people at seven o’clock on a Saturday night at the Lotto counter in Asda.

Our first serious attempt at "This is bad for Corbyn", I don't think it's going to work.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

This is an American forum for American posters, that's why we write in English, duh! :smugdon:

SA has always been really hugely american and any international thing is always filled with americans going "What? What is that about??"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fans posted:

How much of a oval office does he want to be to try make this point?
Numbers rackets are bad and disproportionately target the poor, A Good Point.

quote:

It’s as if Tony Blair never happened.
I like this alternative reality.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Guavanaut posted:

I like this alternative reality.

Alternative reality turns out to be one where Margret Thatcher never left office and simply continues on forever using life extending rituals fueled by the suffering of the poor.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Fans posted:

Alternative reality turns out to be one where Margret Thatcher never left office and simply continues on forever using life extending rituals fueled by the suffering of the poor.

"alternative"

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Taear posted:

SA has always been really hugely american and any international thing is always filled with americans going "What? What is that about??"

We're too busy with the daily mass shootings to keep up with international news, sorry.

fake edit: did something happen? :v:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Halman posted:

We're too busy with the daily mass shootings to keep up with international news, sorry.

fake edit: did something happen? :v:

Goondolences on the dorito nazi filling the US 24/7 news cycle. Our Pork Lord is much less sensational.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I don't know, that's a pretty cool piñata:

https://twitter.com/WritersofColour/status/718749663508230144

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Disturbing lack of coverage of the London protests on BBC. I shouldn't be surprised really.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Disturbing lack of coverage of the London protests on BBC. I shouldn't be surprised really.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36006447

I've seen it posted about on the BBC news twitter too. What more did you want? A running minute by minute commentary on what was always looking to be a small scale protest?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Fans posted:

What do you mean alternate? Her spirit is still haunting the manifesto and sucking the country dry of its essence until the only living people left are in Twickenham.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

thespaceinvader posted:

Mostly he's looked good because his opponents and his allies have looked worse, not because he's looked good. Corbyn being... you know, nice, and human, is really showing Cambot for what he is.
He was given his £90,000 a year PR job by his future mother-in-law who knew the boss of Carlton and asked if diddums could have a job. He's never lived in anything remotely resembling the real world.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Tom Harris is an unrepentant shitstain. He once bragged on Twitter about getting a woman with mental health issues evicted from her council house.

Meanwhile, Vote Leave have found their newest backer:

The only problem? She said that twenty years ago.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

TinTower posted:

Tom Harris is an unrepentant shitstain. He once bragged on Twitter about getting a woman with mental health issues evicted from her council house.

Does she even still live here? It's a moot point because no one with an ounce of sense looks to her for political wisdom.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Trickjaw posted:

Does she even still live here? It's a moot point because no one with an ounce of sense looks to her for political wisdom.

British public wrong about almost everything means the average idiot will take her words as truth.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Trickjaw posted:

He said, as though that qualifier in any way describes the British public

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Zephro posted:

He was given his £90,000 a year PR job by his future mother-in-law who knew the boss of Carlton and asked if diddums could have a job. He's never lived in anything remotely resembling the real world.
Some background here, including reflections on what the Ham-Man was like to work for

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/feb/20/david-cameron-the-pr-years

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

serious gaylord posted:

I've seen it posted about on the BBC news twitter too. What more did you want? A running minute by minute commentary on what was always looking to be a small scale protest?

People seem most unhappy that it hasn't been on the TV news.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Taear posted:

People seem most unhappy that it hasn't been on the TV news.

The thing on twitter was a clip of someone reporting it on tv.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

serious gaylord posted:

Ideally an opinion piece calling for David Cameron's head & the implementation of full communism now would be a start.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Assuming he actually is pushed out (absit omen!), the Tory Party is still in power until the next general election, right? Does this just mean that there would be a crab-bucket fight to take over as PM?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

TinTower posted:

Well now I feel old as gently caress.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Oh, nevermind. I genuinely didn't see that. I'll get me coat.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Assuming he actually is pushed out (absit omen!), the Tory Party is still in power until the next general election, right? Does this just mean that there would be a crab-bucket fight to take over as PM?

Yes and considering the EU referendum backdrop it would be a batshit insane contest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TinTower posted:

YOOOOOOO I'LL TELL YOU WHAT I WANT (WHAT I REALLY REALLY WANT)

Handy article though

quote:

Huddled around the columnist in their "desolate" changing-room, the women, Geri, Victoria and Emma on the right of the political spectrum, and Mel B and Mel C left of centre, the task proved refreshingly easy.

• Locked thread