Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nurgle: lives in a garbage can
Tzeentch: an indecisive mollusk
Khorne: an angry paraplegic
Slaanesh: never went to rehab
Cegorach: is a loving clown
Khaine: is freaking dead
Isha: IS a garbage can
The nightbringer: has no friends
The deceiver: just straight up an idiot

Easiest description of major Warhammer gods courtesy of the text to speech series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nurgle: lives in a garbage can
Tzeentch: an indecisive mollusk
Khorne: an angry paraplegic
Slaanesh: never went to rehab
Cegorach: is a loving clown
Khaine: is freaking dead
Isha: IS a garbage can
The nightbringer: has no friends
The deceiver: just straight up an idiot

Easiest description of major Warhammer gods

Nice list ya got there...

Sure would be a shame if it got Gorked and Morked.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

ZearothK posted:

I suspect Wood Elves will come along with Beastmen when they expand the map with forest holdings for those two to fight over, because I just can't see the former occupying human cities or holds.

Perhaps something similar to Vampire Corruption? The forest rises!

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Perestroika posted:

Wood elves are cool and awesome :colbert:. High and Dark elves can go drown, tho.

This guy knows the correct hierarchy of elves.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Nash posted:

This guy knows the correct hierarchy of elves.

Bullshit.

It's Emo, Posh, then Hippie.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Dandywalken posted:

Nice list ya got there...

Sure would be a shame if it got Gorked and Morked.

*The Horned Rat cackles gleefully in the background, poking everyone with his horns and trying to start poo poo.*

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tarquinn posted:

Bullshit.

It's Emo, Posh, then Hippie.

They aren't hippies. They're the things lurking in the dark that devour hippies who try to commune with nature a bit too closely.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

my dad posted:

They aren't hippies. They're the things lurking in the dark that devour hippies who try to commune with nature a bit too closely.

Drug dealers...?

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
My favorite part is when they let people in their LSD forest for 10 minutes then let them out. They proceed to laugh because the person has somehow aged 3000 years instantly and drops dead.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the wood elves are secretly as confused and terrified by athel loren as everyone else, they're just too haughty to admit it

the biggest "i totally meant to do that" of the warhammer world

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Are there any at least tolerable books one could read to learn more about the setting?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Maaaaybe some of the Gotrek and Felix ones? At the very least, the ones in which they fight Skaven are tolerable? Haven't had an opportunity to read one in years, though, so take this with a grain of salt.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

malhavok posted:

Are there any at least tolerable books one could read to learn more about the setting?

Riders of the Dead by Dan Abnett. Very relevant as well since it's about a pair of pistoliers/lancers from the Empire who go north to fight Chaos. And yea, the Gotrek and Felix books are ok on the whole.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

This Nurgle derail has me regretting not posting this in my "how to not make Chaos a homogeneous blob of dark armourmans":

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
Has there been any information on the multiplayer? I don't expect it to be balanced at launch judging by previous CA titles. I was wondering if they allow war gear on non heroic units and if maps have objectives. Shogun 2 had objectives and it actively stopped people from camping their deployment. Also symmetrical maps would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Syrnn posted:

This Nurgle derail has me regretting not posting this in my "how to not make Chaos a homogeneous blob of dark armourmans":

Oh, thats right! Nurgle had that funky carnival/travelling thing going on too in early editions, right?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I wonder if playing as Chaos will result in you forcing to pick a specific God for your legendary lord to follow, which then grants you access to some God-specific units and maybe a slight different flavor to your playstyle.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

If so, to make it good the end result of your campaign would be some appropriately ironic 'reward' appropriate to their Devil's Bargain. The only way to get a good ending would be for your Lord to transcend space and time (by beating all four campaigns), thus satisfying the whims of all of his patrons.

God drat it, now I just want to scrap the Chaos Gods for Mantorok, Xel'lotath, Ulyaoth, and Chatturguh.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Dandywalken posted:

Oh, thats right! Nurgle had that funky carnival/travelling thing going on too in early editions, right?

That's actually of of the factions of the game, Mordheim. The Carnival of Chaos who are yes, Nurgle worshippers.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
having chaos take on the aesthetics of early modern weirdo subcultures would be fun. they're alright when someone decides to study weird gnostic/metaphysic stuff and go hog wild rather than just having them be refugees from a DnD pantheon.

i always found their weakness as a group came from the duel problems of their gods being such overpowering influences on the rest of the faction while being intentionally one-dimensional cardboard cutouts and having really uninteresting theology, and the whole problem with a lot of fantasy land factions where rather than ascribing group behavior to norms or habitues, race wide behavior is instead some ingrained characteristic shared by everyone to the point of absurdity. so chaos characters often just wind up being this sort of single note figure with no conflict going on with them aside from hating some group or having some gimmick to them (this is also why I think a lot of people get a huge bug up their rear end about how "CHARACTER WOULD NEVER DO x BECAUSE THEYRE A y" poo poo)

it is also why, imo, human factions in fictional game settings are often ridiculously dull since writers don't really understand history/culture beyond broad strokes and so just kind of create some bland amalgamation of modern norms and misconceptions of medieval society and there's no single thing they can use to caricature every character beyond poo poo like "uh they're... ambitious???". part of the reason i liked the Warhammer Fantasy setting was that the Empire was actually pretty distinct and interesting despite being a bunch of humans.

not to say there are not some good characters among chaos or strong writers capable of making interesting stuff (like that one example of a chaos city that exists based on the inherent absurdity of its existence or chaos gods as more aspects/forces and bound by rules rather than some gods as arbitrarily powerful agents deal). more that the whole faction really lends itself to maximum grimdark and not much else.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I was going to write a really long, detailed reply to this, but you know what, it's simple. This is a setting that started off as a Lord of the Rings pastiche, and the main factions were all parodies of a sect of British society. The footy hooligans, the working class miners, the rich toffs, etc. From there, it's grown into a pretty rich world as far as high-fantasy goes, and still keeps it fun. None of the factions are realistic or have realistic characters, largely because even now at the height a GW idiocy, everything is waaaaaay over the loving top.

I do hate the simplification of the Chaos gods from their original ideas, but hey, I get to play as the big armored dudes that for the most part look to have inspired the big armoued dudes from almost everything else.

This ain't no Game of Thrones, and while I largely like low-fantasy settings more, the Warhammer World is the only high-fantasy setting to ever really draw me in, largely because of fun and rats.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 9, 2016

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Yeah I mean I'm being a bit silly about explaining what I mean because I'm bad at describing it and am probably objectively wrong about things. I'm not trying to claim stuff needs to be complex or anything since simple things are pretty much always better than overwrought things, but it does need to have something to it that gives it something, for lack of a better word, "relatable"?

Like Ryu from Street Fighter is a very simple, straightforward character, but he represents something more; the whole wandering warrior aesthetic, the karateka, the whole mas oyama story. Orks got a good thing like this too, they're orcs but since they got the soccer hooligan aspect there's a lot to draw from. You kind of know what an ork "is" and can imagine how their society is and such without having to detail some five thousand year history, since they've built on things people already have a connection to. It contributes to their sense of "timelessness".

A bad thing is like those innumerable "foo elf" things DnD came up with, which are just "elves except from space/the ocean/from the salt plane" or whatever or whatever collection of random gimmicks, and even if you try to write a bunch of overwrought background to them, there's no depth, no real greater cultural resonance or anything for someone to work with.

Chaos in WHF ain't as bad as I'm treating them, I just like shittalking them since their whole aesthetic is something I find boring. Compare them to, say, Sigmaries, who really suffer from the "overwrought backstory with nothing actually interesting about them" problem that instantly turns people off when they see them after being used to the Empire. I also just like thinking of the reasons why, for instance, the whole Tolkien elf/orc/dwarf thing is so common and played with while all sorts of other attempts to create races fall real flat.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I always found fantasy races a thing for lazy writers to lean on, since in most fiction there is usually no reason why they couldn't simply be humans of a different culture, as opposed to aloft-humans-with-pointy-ears or short-greedy-and-stubborn-humans. It just comes out as this weird racial determinism that people had in the late 19th/early 20th centuries that is really out of place nowadays.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

ZearothK posted:

I always found fantasy races a thing for lazy writers to lean on, since in most fiction there is usually no reason why they couldn't simply be humans of a different culture, as opposed to aloft-humans-with-pointy-ears or short-greedy-and-stubborn-humans. It just comes out as this weird racial determinism that people had in the late 19th/early 20th centuries that is really out of place nowadays.

this is the warcraft movie thread right now

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Why are we debating the literary merits of a tabletop game geared towards lonely teenage nerds

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

edit: ^^^ forums dot something awful dot com, that's why ^^^ (also formatting)

ZearothK posted:

It really depends on how fantasy races are handled as per the function the storyteller gives them. I mean the idea of elves, dwarves, and goblins is understood in racialized language now because that's how we react to them being described as "a race". If we go back to the Lord of the Rings (:siren:which should not be regarded as the sole foundation of modern Fantasy fiction:siren:) it is intentionally serving to be a mythopoetic epic after the stylings of Beowulf. It's less easy to think in a racialized schema when you instead are reading mythology; you cannot easily say that álfar or kobolds or fairies have qualities of racial determinism, because they are there to serve the purpose of personifying the supernatural world, of showing esoteric sympathies. In a rational world, we don't really have much of a use for those kinds of dressings, but we still tell fiction and use allegory and attempt to teach mores and morals through story as a device; what we have to teach just happens to no longer be "if you go into the forest alone you will die".

The reason modern fantasy fiction originally had Elves are Elves is because they are a personification of goodly civilization primeval; that Dwarfs are Dwarfs is to be cautionary about greed or stubbornness; or that Wizards are Wizards are to be men who are themselves supernatural, just as the stories we borrowed them from. A lot of that gets rather cocked up when you're roleplaying that you are Elves or Dwarves or Wizards because we can't come to a clear consensus about something that isn't supposed to exist in the mundane world. If someone asks whether or not elves poop, all I have to wonder is what story about poop is so important you have to use elves to tell it?

Basically, because we like to put a veneer of literal reality onto these things, we expect Hercules to have a lifting limit or that the total horsepower of Freyja's chariot cats is knowable. It isn't to say that fantasy creatures aren't used to transmit ideas that come from conceptions of race: Pathfinder seems to celebrate in itself a kind of cosmopolitan multiculturalism about the races and how they interact, because that resonates with the experiences of 'hip, liberal' sensibilities of people who tend to write or like fantasy fiction today. All this tells me is that we have a lot to say about the ideas of race that are part of social reality here and don't have an outlet sufficient to articulate what we ant to say, so SURPRISE! When we attempt to use fantastical, supernatural elements to talk about them we resort to tokenism at best and racial determinism at worst. Without wanting to give people who write trashy fantasy fiction more credit than they deserve, it is still somewhat telling that we are so comfortable using the supernatural to try to express ideas racially and how powerful it is as a modern superstition.

Besides, I read that book you're talking about : it's called The Belgariad, by David Eddings, and Drasnians and Cherek and Murgos do not make the story any more interesting or likeable or believable than Elves or Dwarves or... uh... Well, Murgos are thinly veiled evil Muslims. God drat it, David Eddings.

Syrnn fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 9, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm weak and so I'm probably going to pre-order. The question is where to get it at a reasonable price. I found a 22% off gmg voucher but it expired so I'm still looking.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

malhavok posted:

The nagash series is actually pretty cool, and Liber Necris is decent. I recently read Van Horstmann and it wasn't bad. Just don't read any end times books they are all poo poo.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=fj05Ll1Mark

That Siege AI livestream just wrapped up. The start is the same as the slides I posted a while back but the siege battle at the end is well worth checking out.

(Chaos AI attacking Player Vampire city)

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

malhavok posted:

The short story in the Vampire Wars omnibus is a great Vlad von Carsten vs Chaos tale.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i always found their weakness as a group came from the duel problems of their gods being such overpowering influences on the rest of the faction while being intentionally one-dimensional cardboard cutouts

This will always be the biggest problem with Chaos. The Gods are micromanaging douchebags.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Night10194 posted:

This will always be the biggest problem with Chaos. The Gods are micromanaging douchebags.

On the plus side, this is why they will never win. Right guys? ..........right :unsmith:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgf4h1aJYqc

If you just want to watch the new siege battle by itself. It's interesting since they explain all the AI actions in terms of it's programming and shows off some units we haven't seen in game previously. (Chaos Spawn, Chaos Dragon)

Earlier in the presentation he said they had 12 city layouts "that look completely different between factions" I'm going to read that as 12 total layouts and not 12 layouts per race, as I can't see the latter ever happening.

Wall destruction is in though it looks weird animation-wise, may just not be polished yet.

madmac fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 9, 2016

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Im the sad giant glitching out into the door

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Kokoro Wish posted:

*The Horned Rat cackles gleefully in the background, poking everyone with his horns and trying to start poo poo.*

The Horned Rat is Stampy.

"Some animals are just jerks."

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

They really have been moving away from the constant spear stacks of Shogun, granted mostly due to the subject matter they have been going into. It will be interesting to see how the "triangle" of effectiveness changes

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

madmac posted:

Earlier in the presentation he said they had 12 city layouts "that look completely different between factions" I'm going to read that as 12 total layouts and not 12 layouts per race, as I can't see the latter ever happening.

The sad thing is I know people are going to lose their loving minds over "12 LAYOUTS!11>?", which is dumb. I'd much rather have 12 layouts that the AI can exploit enough to give a challenge then infinite layouts that the AI can't navigate and end up cramming into one easily-defended gate.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

MadJackMcJack posted:

The sad thing is I know people are going to lose their loving minds over "12 LAYOUTS!11>?", which is dumb. I'd much rather have 12 layouts that the AI can exploit enough to give a challenge then infinite layouts that the AI can't navigate and end up cramming into one easily-defended gate.

Infinite layouts that can all be approached by finding a single chokepoint and forting it gives one possible battle. 12 layouts that it can work with and vary tactics based on its forces gives a lot more potential variety.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Yeah if it means that finally the AI will be able to siege without spazzing out and getting stuck on the walls/gate then bring on the siege changes! I'm just glad their willing to try and change things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Robutt posted:

Yeah if it means that finally the AI will be able to siege without spazzing out and getting stuck on the walls/gate then bring on the siege changes! I'm just glad their willing to try and change things.

It probably won't matter if the player has a lot of ranged weaponry. The AI can attack cleverly all it wants but it will still take huge damage just getting to the walls, the main change I can see from this game is that tower defenses have infinite range within their cone of fire so now it's the player who is going to feel the pain since he can't just sit back and blow 20 holes in the wall before attacking. I imagine people will just choose to wait out the siege in most cases now.

• Locked thread