Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Does anyone know what beastmode does? I turned it on and the enemies take the same amount of shots to kill & don't seem to be more aggressive or do more damage. They drop more money though I think?

After Googling around, it appears the answer is "it's a joke", and its only effect is to give you an achievement and unlock a gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Vargs posted:

Scrolling is a clumsy way to select weapons. I wish you could just use the number keys. It would still be a little weird since each key would correspond to a different weapon every run, but I'd prefer it regardless.

You literally can.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vargs posted:

Scrolling is a clumsy way to select weapons. I wish you could just use the number keys. It would still be a little weird since each key would correspond to a different weapon every run, but I'd prefer it regardless.

Is this some kind of meta-level sarcasm posting? You can select weapons with the number keys...

Well not with a gamepad you can't.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This game is cool and good I'm also glad the art style is not a disgusting pile of babies

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah. It's pretty neat to have a popular polished game in this genre that isn't all poo and dead fetuses

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Just got the game, and played a little. It seems really fun, and I like the art style and how well the controls are implemented. I suck at it and quickly died at the first level boss fight (Gatling Gul), but it's fun.

About the video options... Is the "recommended" video preset just a troll setting? Because there seems to be zero difference over the "Custom" preset, and all it does is bring down the frame rate to about 9 fps on my PC, and that is only on the Video Settings screen when you set it. On the other screens the framerate returns to the normal 60 fps. And apparently after a while (?) the setting reverts to custom.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 9, 2016

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

DatonKallandor posted:

You literally can.

Also, you can hold control and slow time to a crawl to give you time to think about weapon selection.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

This is a good fun game, but it's the hardest roguelikelike I've played so far. I wish the first floor bosses had a bit less health though, it's frustrating to have to take on the trigger twins with only the starting weapon.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Aww yeah made it to fifth chamber for the first time, mostly due to having fat bullets and a proton pack/other good guns. Still managed to die before reaching the boss, mostly due to getting confused about hammers and the sheer jump in difficulty in enemy patterns. Still, I'm either getting better or luckier.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Was doing poorly then hit a room on floor 4 that slowed my game to a crawl. All it had was a laserskeleton with those zombies. Never had that happen before without some major bee action and now there was nothing like that. Maybe the 100mb patch earlier hosed something up?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I just hit 101 deaths and I've made it to the Dragun once. I am the worse gungeoneer.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

My latest runs have only netted like 3 or so spent casings per junk so I think they've nerfed the payoff of those.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Oh man this cursed run has been super rough. At least I'm nearly done thou....gently caress.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I need an EZ Mode for big carebear baby like me... Turning up the aim assist for controllers was a godesend, but it's still no M&K. Bout to lose my loving mind whenever I see those Iron Maiden mobs show up what the gently caress.

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
Anyone know what those big green demon faces on the wall are? First time I encountered one I cleared the floor and then it just spat me back out when I went in.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

MorphineMike posted:

Anyone know what those big green demon faces on the wall are? First time I encountered one I cleared the floor and then it just spat me back out when I went in.

Need to be cursed or have 100 shells.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Did my first bad ending on my 20th run. The Dragun was tough as all hell even with a ridiculously good setup (Bees, Scrambler, passive shot multiplier, gun friendship potion, elder blank, multiple blank buffs, ballot, etc.).

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Oh no I died in rogue, I guess I should stop

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Helpful advice from a very upset person named CJacobs: If you are carrying the busted TV and roll over a pit with it (not just to get across a gap, but also when dodging over a small corner of one), it will fall in the pit and unlike literally any other item in the game it will not drop back to safety on the other side. It is lost forever. Because this game's run-spanning quest poo poo is really annoying by design, for some reason.

edit: I really don't understand why they made the busted TV quest be so annoying. Sure, it's fine to make you work for special unlocks, but the amount of negatives really seems to actively try to keep you from doing it and I don't get it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 9, 2016

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Found a fun item:

Now, what this doesn't tell you is that it also turns every single chest into a Mimic. But hey, free chests!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Found a fun item:

Now, what this doesn't tell you is that it also turns every single chest into a Mimic. But hey, free chests!

A fair exchange given keys are god drat terrible in this with how infrequent they are. For real a balance pass on drop rates would be phenomenal.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Oh my god the red scarf/bandana is so bad. It delays the start of your dodge just by a little bit (hyper light drifter?)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Another tip: If you do happen to accidentally leave the TV somewhere, hold your map open as you run back to get it. Because of a weird coding thing, the rat can't steal items that have an icon on your map screen while it's open (the minimap doesn't count).

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

What a great teleport location, forgot about it when returning and got hit instantly

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Holy gently caress is the fifth floor a nightmare.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Well I think this game is really good, I'm happy with the starting weapons, I have fun playing and I don't get upset when I have a bad run because there's always another one. I guess some of the people who are quitting need a game that will let them win, as opposed to a game where you might have to overcome some long odds to win. Waaaaaa it's so unfair.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The game desperately needs a RNG overhaul for drops and level generation. Having no shrines at all for 4 floors then one every floor on the next run is just poo poo that shouldnt happen. Semi reliable level generation like in Isaac would go a long way.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I think I'm missing the "legacy" upgrade type stuff from BoI. I made it through plenty of rounds in BoI without much trouble due to good drops. 10 rounds into this and I've gotten a single item that gave me an edge.

I'm bad at this. It's fun, but I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I finally beat the Wallmonger and reached the 5th floor for the first time. That floor is a shitshow, but I was able to get through it and face the boss. I got him to about 5% health and then angled a dodge wrong and ate poo poo. That was an amazing run - I found the Vulcan Cannon on the first floor and it absolutely ruined every boss I pointed it at, especially once the Gunsling King gave me Fat Bullets for clearing an entire room using only the Pea Shooter.

I'm not even upset about dying that close to beating the boss - it was absolutely my own fuckup that killed me, and I've seen his patterns now, so next time, I'll be ready. I got the Cosmic Gunpowder or whatever to the blacksmith, too, so now I never need to worry about making GBS threads up an item slot with that thing again :buddy:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I just got a shrine effect that halved my total ammo count. Instant game over pretty much.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

I just got a shrine effect that halved my total ammo count. Instant game over pretty much.

Was that from the Icosahedrus shrine or whatever, the 20-sided die one? That shrine can do some seriously crazy poo poo. I've heard people say it can just flat out kill you sometimes. Don't use that thing unless you like livin' on the edge.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The Dice Shrine owns. I had one run where it set my max hearts to 10 in exchange for one level of curse, and another where it took 30 coins, but gave me 10 blanks.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Last time I used the dice shrine it took away my blanks and gave me a permanent speed upgrade. This time I got "renewed" and halved ammo. I dont even know what renewed does.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The only time I ever used it, it gave me a full reload in exchange for no side effects. It was on the first floor, I was the Pilot, and I hadn't found any guns. :geno:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

FrickenMoron posted:

Last time I used the dice shrine it took away my blanks and gave me a permanent speed upgrade. This time I got "renewed" and halved ammo. I dont even know what renewed does.

Renew is a full heal I believe. Though it can trigger while you are already on max health, which would do nothing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This is the only renewal I need.

Seriously though I've lost all interest in this run yet it hasn't quite died yet. I'm on floor 4 and I've gotten like 6 different buffs/debuffs to enemies but I'm still using the starting pistol so it feels doomed... yet I'm still somehow trudging along.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

de la peche posted:

Well I think this game is really good, I'm happy with the starting weapons, I have fun playing and I don't get upset when I have a bad run because there's always another one. I guess some of the people who are quitting need a game that will let them win, as opposed to a game where you might have to overcome some long odds to win. Waaaaaa it's so unfair.
I think it's a very good game but you've totally missed what people are complaining about if this is what you took away from it.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

They should have called this game

bbgungeon

or

nofungeon

They need to double the drop rate on everything and radically increase the power on the most of the guns because right now the game is absolutely nothing like the impression the trailer gives.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Does it always heal you? With how dramatic (hilarious) this event is I always expect something to go horribly wrong but it's always a free heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I really don't like how some of the active items are single use.

And yeah runs do feel really uneven in ways Isaac's rarely did. It's not a deal breaker but kind of annoying.