Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Kilroy posted:

The people in this thread aren't being that rude to you - it's more that you're just incredibly thin-skinned. I mean, the treatment you're getting is nothing compared to what would be coming your way if you were some kind of homophobe or bigot or something else that actually mattered instead of just having laughably wrong and anachronistic intuitions about how the universe works.

See also: War on Christmas, the Gay Menace, Obummer's war on the religious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Crowsbeak posted:

As I said I was suggesting that he and you likewise are rather poor arguments for atheism.
You realize that a person can't be an argument for or against atheism, or for that matter most anything else, right? Like if Einstein was an rear end in a top hat we'd still have to learn about relativity in physics class, and being the nicest person in the world isn't going to stop you from falling to your death if you jump off a cliff.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Kilroy posted:

You realize that a person can't be an argument for or against atheism, or for that matter most anything else, right? Like if Einstein was an rear end in a top hat we'd still have to learn about relativity in physics class, and being the nicest person in the world isn't going to stop you from falling to your death if you jump off a cliff.

That's what happens when you stop arguing based on reason and evidence and start arguing based on personal preference.

It's not like we want everyone to join Team Atheist because we have free cookies.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

blowfish posted:

That's what happens when you stop arguing based on reason and evidence and start arguing based on personal preference.
I think it's more that a lot of religious indoctrination involves drawing on the examples of the pious and the wonderful lives they led, presumably by virtue of their faith. So, all else being equal, I would imagine anyone who has grown up steeped in that sort of thing, and who is approaching "Atheism" as just another (wrong) religion, would expect its adherents to at least try to follow that same example where I try to convince you of the truth of atheism because look what an awesome person it has made me, after all. So it's confusing when we don't because 1. the world doesn't work that way and 2. no one here is trying to "convert" Crowsbeak to atheism any more than they're trying to teach him calculus.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

blowfish posted:

t's not like we want everyone to join Team Atheist because we have free cookies.
Maybe you should have free cookies.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I've still not seen anything posted in this thread substantively saying God is more moral than Hitler by his actual action

The Gnostics had the right idea. That's why the early church repressed them. Christianity has always been ruthlessly intolerant.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 9, 2016

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

1. Yeah not really being that its about Man being like the spiritual nature of God.

Our "spiritual nature" is explained through science. There's no reason to incorporate a totally unnecessary additional layer of explanation involving extracosmic nonsense.

quote:

2. What determines determinism?

Um. You can read a variety of books and articles on cosmology, multiverse theory, etc., if you're craving an explanation of the origins of the universe. Beyond that first starting point (and the claim that there is a particular starting point to spacetime is hugely controversial), determinism determines determinism.

quote:

3. Yes Origen living in 2nd century Alexandria is very modern. Lol.

Haha, hey, remember that time when abortion was a cardinal sin? :D

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

blowfish posted:

Materialism is cool and good.

Perhaps we but the majority arguing for it in the thread are making poor arguments for it.

Kilroy posted:

Who do I push away from atheism? I actually know a few people who became atheist due to my influence and have remained so for decades. And I wasn't even trying to "convert" anyone!

The people in this thread aren't being that rude to you - it's more that you're just incredibly thin-skinned. I mean, the treatment you're getting is nothing compared to what would be coming your way if you were some kind of homophobe or bigot or something else that actually mattered instead of just having laughably wrong and anachronistic intuitions about how the universe works.
Yeah being rude tends to do that. Now the fact you can't deal is beyond me.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Panzeh posted:

I've still not seen anything posted in this thread substantively saying God is more moral than Hitler by his actual action

The Gnostics had the right idea. That's why the early church repressed them. Christianity has always been ruthlessly intolerant.

The Gnostics died out for not being popular. Sorry you cannot deal with history

Peta posted:

Our "spiritual nature" is explained through science. There's no reason to incorporate a totally unnecessary additional layer of explanation involving extracosmic nonsense.

Um. You can read a variety of books and articles on cosmology, multiverse theory, etc., if you're craving an explanation of the origins of the universe. Beyond that first starting point (and the claim that there is a particular starting point to spacetime is hugely controversial), determinism determines determinism.

Haha, hey, remember that time when abortion was a cardinal sin? :D
1. How do you explain God through science again?

2. I have didn't find them any more convincing also do you have any evidence of a multiverse?

3. It is a sin and one involved will have to deal with their actions.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

The fact you cannot read is not my fault. As I said I was suggesting that he and you likewise are rather poor arguments for atheism. Sorry that you choose to not understand that.

Yes, I'm well aware that you lied about your intent when called out on what you said. But of course someone who thinks all rules are literal chattel slavery has no qualms about lying.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

blowfish posted:

It's not like we want everyone to join Team Atheist because we have free cookies.
No not really but it's easy to see you cannot stand people being theists.

Who What Now posted:

Yes, I'm well aware that you lied about your intent when called out on what you said. But of course someone who thinks all rules are literal chattel slavery has no qualms about lying.

I didn't I was arguing from a point of hyperbole. The fact you cannot understand this is rather hilarious.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 9, 2016

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Panzeh posted:

I've still not seen anything posted in this thread substantively saying God is more moral than Hitler by his actual actions.

Which god? Are you talking about all gods that have ever been conceived, or all conceivable gods, or are you just saying that Jews serve evil?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah being rude tends to do that. Now the fact you can't deal is beyond me.
What are you talking about? I don't care if you're a godhaver or whatever, it just means I'll want to scrutinize your other opinions a little more carefully than I might have otherwise.

I just jumped in here because you seemed to be using the perceived rudeness of someone you were arguing with as evidence against their argument. That's just broken whether you believe in God or not, and you should stop doing it.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

1. How do you explain God through science again?

You don't. That's the point.

quote:

2. I have didn't find them any more convincing also do you have any evidence of a multiverse?

You're an idiot lol.

quote:

3. It is a sin and one involved will have to deal with their actions.

:yayclod:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

I didn't I was arguing from a point of hyperbole. The fact you cannot understand this is rather hilarious.

Not nearly as hilarious as the fact that you think you're the only person capable of doing so.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Brainiac Five posted:

Which god? Are you talking about all gods that have ever been conceived, or all conceivable gods, or are you just saying that Jews serve evil?

Jews have a long and well documented history of arguing against their god. And winning. So I wouldn't say that, no.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Behavioural science can find, induce, and explain superstition-like behaviour in animals. We can see particular brain areas light up when people think religious thoughts. It should not escape our attention that these combined observations immediately suggest an evolutionary origin of false beliefs.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Jews have a long and well documented history of arguing against their god. And winning. So I wouldn't say that, no.

But Judaism, along with Christianity, Islam, Bahai'i, Samaritanism, some Wiccan and other neopagan traditions, these all consider this evil, Hitlerish entity someone to serve and honor, so they all serve evil according to you. Maybe your cheap shots are actually intellectually really loving dumb?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Crowsbeak posted:

The Gnostics died out for not being popular. Sorry you cannot deal with history
See, this right here is the poo poo I'm talking about. Stop doing this, it makes you dumber. Your apparent intelligence will increase dramatically if you just cut out this one thing and change nothing else.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Behavioural science can find, induce, and explain superstition-like behaviour in animals. We can see particular brain areas light up when people think religious thoughts. It should not escape our attention that these combined observations immediately suggest an evolutionary origin of false beliefs.

Or that animals are also capable of numinous experiences. Your formulation relies on making conclusions beforehand.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

In case anyone still thought this guy was worth talking to:

Crowsbeak posted:

What determines determinism?

Peta posted:

Crowsbeak posted:

I have didn't find them any more convincing also do you have any evidence of a multiverse?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

But Judaism, along with Christianity, Islam, Bahai'i, Samaritanism, some Wiccan and other neopagan traditions, these all consider this evil, Hitlerish entity someone to serve and honor, so they all serve evil according to you. Maybe your cheap shots are actually intellectually really loving dumb?
Since god doesn't exist, people are actually just serving their own imagination.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

Or that animals are also capable of numinous experiences. Your formulation relies on making conclusions beforehand.

Numinous experiences, which just so happen to make evolutionary sense.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Peta posted:

You don't. That's the point.

You're an idiot lol.

:yayclod:

So at the end you have less evidence then I do like a typical poster on r/ atheism.

blowfish posted:

Since god doesn't exist, people are actually just serving their own imagination.
And if they are what concern is it of you.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Numinous experiences, which just so happen to make evolutionary sense.

Just-so stories usually fail, actually, but it's fascinating you presume religion must be non-physical to be real. And telling.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Kilroy posted:

See, this right here is the poo poo I'm talking about. Stop doing this, it makes you dumber. Your apparent intelligence will increase dramatically if you just cut out this one thing and change nothing else.

Ah being aware of history makes you dumber. Good to know. Like I said materialism has some great advocates right now.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

Just-so stories usually fail, actually, but it's fascinating you presume religion must be non-physical to be real. And telling.

If religion is a physical phenomenon, then we can measure it and harness it with machines. A belief factory owned by Foxconn in the Chinese hinterland will soon follow. If that's compatible with your idea of religion then more power to you.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 9, 2016

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

If religion is a physical phenomenon, then we can measure it and harness it with machines. A belief factory operated by Foxconn in the Chinese hinterland would soon follow. If that's compatible with your idea of religion then more power to you.

Yes, assuredly any "gods" would be paltry beings anyone should rejoice to have enslaved and tortured. Real strong case for New Atheism fostering immorality there.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Brainiac Five posted:

I actually don't think they serve anything, because God doesn't exist.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Brainiac Five posted:

I don't see how this is a cheap shot. A lot of people literally served and honored Hitler, too.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Panzeh posted:

I don't see how this is a cheap shot. A lot of people literally served and honored Hitler, too.

Jews serve evil, then. Nice antisemitism.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Brainiac Five posted:

Jews serve evil, then. Nice antisemitism.

That's not what antisemitism is.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

Yes, assuredly any "gods" would be paltry beings anyone should rejoice to have enslaved and tortured. Real strong case for New Atheism fostering immorality there.

It's the plot of the Stargate episode "Cure".

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

That's not what antisemitism is.

It is antisemitism to say that Jews are all in the service of evil.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Also lol that your definition of gods includes sufficiently advanced aliens, and you think that sufficiently advanced aliens deserve to be worshipped because they exist and possibly had a picnic on Earth at some point.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

It's the plot of the Stargate episode "Cure".

So New Atheism also causes bad taste in TV shows, then.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Brainiac Five posted:

It is antisemitism to say that Jews are all in the service of evil.

Keep trying, sweety, I'm sure you'll get it eventually.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Also lol that your definition of gods includes sufficiently advanced aliens, and you think that sufficiently advanced aliens deserve to be worshipped because they exist and possibly had a picnic on Earth at some point.

Didn't say that at any point. You are a clumsy liar and with hope you will receive just recompense for your evil deeds.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

So New Atheism also causes bad taste in TV shows, then.

It's pretty funny that you immediately jumped to the conclusion that I want to enslave god turn god into an underpaid factory worker working 15 hour shifts, and not that if religion were real we could harvest religion energy fields or something in the same way that a generator produces electricity. Kinda suggests you are a terrible person underneath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If you have managed to prove the existence of the Multiverse with hard evidence you should probably publish your world first since as far as I'm aware it's merely a hypothesis with no real evidence at the moment. A lot of scientists are banking on it existing, and you may be in line for a Nobel Physics Award

• Locked thread