Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Old people is the majority of the population in the country for a significant margin. And while Francisco got a lot of people, is a lot less of what Juan Pablo II gathered back then.
I guess that depends a lot on your definition of "old" is, 70% of the Mexican population is under 40. which is a lot younger than the United States (for example). Most of the photos of Francis's visit shows a lot of young (children, teens, young adults) at his events, though it's possible that that even more young people came out to see JPII during one of this visits. And Catholicism is on the decline in Mexico: only 83% of Mexicans identified as Catholic in 2010, as opposed to 96% fifty years ago.

All that said, I'm not sure what any of this has to do with Kyle Rayner, and I'm still not sure why it's that crazy for a Mexican American raised in California (where the rate of self-identified Catholics is way lower, like half of the half of people who identify as Christian period but comparatively more Latinos) to rekindle a spiritual belief in times of hardship. I've seen people do this because their grandparents died, never mind getting killed and Stockholm Syndromed and part of Intergalactic Genocide Part 492.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Edge & Christian posted:

I guess that depends a lot on your definition of "old" is, 70% of the Mexican population is under 40. which is a lot younger than the United States (for example). Most of the photos of Francis's visit shows a lot of young (children, teens, young adults) at his events, though it's possible that that even more young people came out to see JPII during one of this visits. And Catholicism is on the decline in Mexico: only 83% of Mexicans identified as Catholic in 2010, as opposed to 96% fifty years ago.

All that said, I'm not sure what any of this has to do with Kyle Rayner, and I'm still not sure why it's that crazy for a Mexican American raised in California (where the rate of self-identified Catholics is way lower, like half of the half of people who identify as Christian period but comparatively more Latinos) to rekindle a spiritual belief in times of hardship. I've seen people do this because their grandparents died, never mind getting killed and Stockholm Syndromed and part of Intergalactic Genocide Part 492.

That was my point actually, these days the percentage of mexicans that actually practice the catholicisim is notieable lower and those who do practice it are older people rather than young adults or teens.

I was present on some visits of JPII and back then, the streets where he passed through were bursting at the seams with people expecting to catch at least a glimpse of the pope, something that didn't happened during Francis' visit.

On a country level, is true the younger poblation is more numerous but that poblation isn't spread evenly. According to the 2015 report from the National Institute of Stadistic and Geography Mexico City is the entity where the older poblation is more abundant.

And the issue isn't that Kyle suddenly had a religious epiphany but that it happened at the same time his mexican inheritance became a thing again. This gave me the distinctive feeling his religious awakening was because his mexican inheritancenot because he had a moment of reflexion that made him reevaluate his worldviews.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I don't mean to get into a demographic argument, since it's really besides the point. I don't feel like constructing charts, but your initial post said that no one under 40 was religious, certainly not in cities, and King doesn't understand Mexico because he thinks people are still religious. It really looks like
a) The vast majority (over 90% if you include Christian sects outside of Catholicism) of Mexican citizens identify as religious
b) The vast majority (70% overall, maybe less in DF where the median age is in the 30s) of Mexican citizens are under 40, i.e. born in the late 1970s or later

So the argument that believing that Catholicism/Christianity plays a significant role in Mexican culture (even amongst young and/or urban people) is a fundamental misunderstanding of Mexican culture is like me arguing that none of my friends are explicitly racist, therefore having a racist American character means that Brian K Vaughn doesn't understand America.

Also, Kyle has not (to my knowledge) ever even lived in Mexico according to King, so I really don't know what this is about.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

It always cracks me up when DT waxes on critically about something, then posts some crazy poo poo about how good a Scott Lobdell book is.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I think DT has mentioned that he's an archaeologist or at least works in a related field, and I'm trying to subtly goad him into talking about that all the time. I'll forgive all sorts of weird animammaries in exchange for :krad: Templo Mayor stories or w/e.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Edge & Christian posted:

I don't mean to get into a demographic argument, since it's really besides the point. I don't feel like constructing charts, but your initial post said that no one under 40 was religious, certainly not in cities, and King doesn't understand Mexico because he thinks people are still religious. It really looks like
a) The vast majority (over 90% if you include Christian sects outside of Catholicism) of Mexican citizens identify as religious
b) The vast majority (70% overall, maybe less in DF where the median age is in the 30s) of Mexican citizens are under 40, i.e. born in the late 1970s or later

So the argument that believing that Catholicism/Christianity plays a significant role in Mexican culture (even amongst young and/or urban people) is a fundamental misunderstanding of Mexican culture is like me arguing that none of my friends are explicitly racist, therefore having a racist American character means that Brian K Vaughn doesn't understand America.

Also, Kyle has not (to my knowledge) ever even lived in Mexico according to King, so I really don't know what this is about.

I said people over 40 were the ones truly religious, that is the ones that pray go the church and the like. For the most part everyone else that identifies themselves as catholic is not practicing.

True, Kyle never lived on Mexico but also was never depicted as a devout catholic either and thus, his current characterization is basically the stereotype of all mexicans being religious.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I said people over 40 were the ones truly religious, that is the ones that pray go the church and the like. For the most part everyone else that identifies themselves as catholic is not practicing.

True, Kyle never lived on Mexico but also was never depicted as a devout catholic either and thus, his current characterization is basically the stereotype of all mexicans being religious.

Or him dealing with the insane poo poo he is dealing with right now/ in the past or having some connection with earth.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Edge & Christian posted:

Too bad all of those were pretty much terrible, and in the case of Wednesday Comics another case of "hey I want to work with a really cool artist, and since I'm the boss GUESS WHAT?" I'm not really sure why anyone who is into these marginal properties would be into someone reviving them in order to do a bad new take on them. I suppose it beats a world where DC just lets their trademarks lapse?

Didio's take on the Metal Men was one of the better written metal men in years. It was modernized Silver Age take and felt like an extension of the original series.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Mr Hootington posted:

Didio's take on the Metal Men was one of the better written metal men in years. It was modernized Silver Age take and felt like an extension of the original series.
We're talking about the Wednesday Comics story that was twelve conventional pages blown up large to cover a bunch of really terrible puns and a story of the Metal Men thwarting a bank robbery?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

Or him dealing with the insane poo poo he is dealing with right now/ in the past or having some connection with earth.

Well, an event big enough to change the worldview of the character should've been shown on screen don't you think?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Well, an event big enough to change the worldview of the character should've been shown on screen don't you think?

This months entire issue was about the never ending fight and how beaten down he is getting due to it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

We're talking about the Wednesday Comics story that was twelve conventional pages blown up large to cover a bunch of really terrible puns and a story of the Metal Men thwarting a bank robbery?

Ok it was second best behind the doom patrol backup, but yes the Wednesday comics story feels like a original run filler issue.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

bobkatt013 posted:

bobkatt013 posted:

This months entire issue was about the never ending fight and how beaten down he is getting due to it.
He was shown to be incredibly religious before the traumatic events of this book happened to him, not because of it. His angry breakdown in issue eight comes across like he was having a crisis of faith, but like...why would someone who just found faith have a crisis of it? It's why I wondered if there was anything in New Guardians that would make him this way.

Like...hold on to your butts 'cuz I'm about to agree with D_T here, but I also found the fluent Spanish prayer he gave in the second issue to be a little disconcerting. It could just as easily have been spoken in English. If King wanted to depict Kyle's Latino heritage, why hasn't he spoken Spanish in any other context since then? He's only Latino when he's feeling religious? Does he only know Spanish prayers? It's all just kinda off-putting.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 9, 2016

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
Except he HAD just gone through an incredibly traumatic event. I can buy him waking up praying something long forgotten when he just woke up from surviving an Al-Qaeda hostage murder video.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
the Judeo-Christian god literally exists in DC comics so I don't see what the problem here is, heathens :catholic:

Four Score fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 10, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Four Score posted:

the Judeo-Christian god literally exists in DC comics so I don't see what the problem here is, heathens :catholic:

Yeah DC has a great collection of properties that you shouldn't try to fit together, like Captain Marvel and the Fourth World and Yahweh.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Well Shazam has the Wisdom of Solomon, so he'd be down with YHWH.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

God is usually depicted as a cute little doggy.
What jerk wouldn't worship?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

Well Shazam has the Wisdom of Solomon, so he'd be down with YHWH.

You'd think that Solomon's wisdom would've helped him stop those fifth-dimensional genies as soon as they got rascally, in Crisis Times Five, but nope. It's not like whipping djinni into shape is one of the most well-known applications of Solomon's wise rule or anything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Cat people.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Mr. Terrific II

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Black Adam as he straight up said not my god. While punching God's Wrath in the face.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

James Sunderland

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I haven't really been following modern DC stuff but where did Grant morrison's Multyversity end up Being? Did it matter at all?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah cause it was good.

As for continuity, nobody used it other than Convergence which showed the some of the illustrations representing the 52 universes, before giving us infinite ones.
Grant reckons there'll be a sequel, though.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 10, 2016

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
In the grand scheme of things? Naturally, it didn't really matter since Convergence happened right on its heels, so the multiple universe concept got used in a different kind of direction and Multiversity is its own little higher-dimensional corner of the DC multiverse, and then DC You happened, etc.

I think there's going to be a Multiversity Too though, so that should follow the events of the original in some manner.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Convergence is Multiversity done right.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah cause it was good.

As for continuity, nobody used it other than Convergence which showed the some of the illustrations representing the 52 universes, before giving us infinite ones.
Grant reckons there'll be a sequel, though.

I thought he was doing his own line of "Earth One" style books entitled "Multiversity Too" that would tell self contained stories about different worlds in the new Multiverse

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bleeding Cool has some info on the Rebirth stuff. This one caught my eye.

quote:

Imbued with the powers of Superman, Lois Lane pledges to use her powers to protect Metropolis as the new Superwoman. The only problem is, Lois’ new powers are killing her, and neither she nor her friend and confidant Lana Lang know what to do about it. Will Lois even survive long enough to find out the deadly secret of ULTRA-WOMAN?

APPEARING IN: SUPERWOMAN written and drawn by Phil Jimenez

STATUS QUO SHIFT: From star reporter to superhero!

WHY THEY WEAR THE SHIELD: To continue the legacy of Superman and make the world a better place!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/11/its-official-lois-lane-is-superwoman-in-dc-rebirth/

Hmm. The love interest of the superhero gets his powers but they're killing her? That seems awfully similar to another title going on right now in another company.

Also, The Super-Man has a terrible costume: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/11/new-super-man-to-join-justice-league-of-china-more-dc-rebirth-details/

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I actually don't know which franchise that is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Bleeding Cool has some info on the Rebirth stuff. This one caught my eye.

Hmm. The love interest of the superhero gets his powers but they're killing her? That seems awfully similar to another title going on right now in another company.

Also, The Super-Man has a terrible costume: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/11/new-super-man-to-join-justice-league-of-china-more-dc-rebirth-details/

The Super-Man's suit would be way better if it had the traditional S symbol.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I actually don't know which franchise that is.

It's pretty much the plot to the current Thor.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

X-O posted:

It's pretty much the plot to the current Thor.

Oh, duh.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The thing it bothers me the most about Superwoman is that pretty much we just saw the same idea on the Truth and the Super League arcs. It makes me feel like those two arcs were just a colossal waste of time and unecessarily shitted all over N52 Supes.

Assholes :argh:

Oh well, this is what I was expecting for

quote:

"Now the Red Hood plans to use his status as a villain to take down Gotham’s underworld from the inside. Joined by a fallen Amazon named Artemis, and a half-baked Superman clone named Bizarro, this dark trinity will soon discover that the line between hero and villain is difficult to discern…"

:frogon:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wasn't expecting Becky Cloonan to return to Gotham Academy, especially now she's doing The Punisher. That's cool.

e: Final page of Previews.

Note the silver-age JLs (plus retconned in Cyborg.)
If JSA is just pretending to be an old comic, that could be fun. I think I'd rather that than any Convergence type deal.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 12, 2016

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The thing it bothers me the most about Superwoman is that pretty much we just saw the same idea on the Truth and the Super League arcs. It makes me feel like those two arcs were just a colossal waste of time and unecessarily shitted all over N52 Supes.

Assholes :argh:

Oh well, this is what I was expecting for

:frogon:

Huh. Okay, sure, I'll bite for once.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
:dance: Artemis!!!!.........??.....?...:confuoot:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Even Bizarro has an undercut now. It truly am best hairstyle in DC Comics

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Isn't her name Aleka in Azz's Wondy or are we just ignoring his run altogether like Wondy usually suffers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

BrianWilly posted:

:dance: Artemis!!!!.........??.....?...:confuoot:

Before reading the description my first thought was "Gender swapped shatterstar".