Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Moon Monster posted:

I thought Borderlands 1 did most of what Borderlands 2 did but better. That said I don't hate it as much as a lot of the people in this thread seem to. The worst thing about the entire series is the hosed up level scaling.

This is basically how I feel about it, and any game that has level scaling really. There's nothing worse than playing a game where you never feel like you're progressing at all. You start off killing bandits in five hits with a pistol and you finish the game killing bandits in five hits with a super mega pistol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
ya know, sometimes its just fun to run around and shoot things with super flashy guns and dumb abilities

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I couldn't get in to BL1. There was no compelling reason for me to do any of the quests to advance the game. I found it quite boring.
At least BL2 gave you the comically evil antagonist to keep pushing you forward.
I'm playing through the Pre-sequel right now and I've already run through True Vault Hunter mode on BL2. I also used the Cheat Engine script to fix the rear end drop rates. Without that, I wouldn't play any of them. Except Tales From the Borderlands.
My favorite BL game is Tales from the Borderlands. Unfortunately it doesn't have much replayability since you already know how things will turn out and you'll just get different flavor text along the way (so, a Tell Tale game).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

Ya'll probably the type that don't even read quest text, just smash the button and run towards the arrow.
It's true. Not many people can really appreciate the depth and complexity of the extremely subtle and meaningful cartoon shoot man game which contains the greatest literary characters of all time.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Borderlands 2 is a fun game unless you're some grognard dedicated to spending a hundred hours playing through it multiple times and then spend years complaining that the mega ultra hard difficulty turned out to be mega ultra hard.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

There is literally nothing good about Borderlands unless you are as an enlightened and wise as johnny Aztec and understand it as this generation's Paradise Lost

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

*kicks down door* Nobody's liking that video game on my watch!!

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008
The overall story of BL2 kinda sucks but Handsome Jack is a pretty fun villain, and the voice actor is great. They really should have just made him like The Joker though, rather than some guy who thinks he's 'the hero'. Tales From The Borderlands took some good strides toward that, imo.

IconicIronic has a new favorite as of 03:39 on Apr 9, 2016

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
*stamps foot childishly* go to other thread for like game! This is the dislike game thread!

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

Digirat posted:

*kicks down door* Nobody's liking that video game on my watch!!

I ain't gonna hate on anyone for their taste in video games but I really don't get why people continue playing games that are blatantly Skinner Boxes for more than like 3-5 hours total. As in, I literally don't understand why people find grinding and entirely math-based combat fun.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I didn't even get up to the city in BL2. That intro area goes on for way too long and is boring as poo poo with no real motivation to continue.

I guess I just don't get the series. I played the first one and the loot system felt more like a stick than a carrot. I wasn't happy to find a new gun; I was relieved the enemies wouldn't continue to get ever more bullet spongy for a little bit. And then you get periods where you just get weapons you don't really want but you have to upgrade. They really should have had more types of loot to smooth out the gear upgrade curve or something.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

BlueKingBar posted:

I ain't gonna hate on anyone for their taste in video games but I really don't get why people continue playing games that are blatantly Skinner Boxes for more than like 3-5 hours total. As in, I literally don't understand why people find grinding and entirely math-based combat fun.

If you actually knew what a Skinner box was you would answer your own question.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

There is literally nothing good about Borderlands unless you are as an enlightened and wise as johnny Aztec and understand it as this generation's Paradise Lost

"All opinions are either 100% favorable or 100% unfavorable" - a smart person whose insights are relevant

Anyway, there's a lot of things wrong with Borderlands 2 but it's fun most of the time. Well, most-ish.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Some goons have a really weird hate boner for Borderlands 2 and my favourite posts are the ones that include the words Borderlands and reddit

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
man, what is up with everyone tripping over each other trying to get the absolute word over this game that came out years ago? i think you all made your points on borderlands 2, guys.

packetmantis posted:

do you?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Borderlands Two?

More like Badderblands Poo

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mazerunner posted:

Borderlands Two?

More like Badderblands Poo

You mean that Skinner Box game? Good thing I only play games that aren't about pressing buttons to receive stimuli, like

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

BlueKingBar posted:

I ain't gonna do a thing *proceeds to do thing*

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Guy Mann posted:

You mean that Skinner Box game? Good thing I only play games that aren't about pressing buttons to receive stimuli, like

Progress Quest.

Wait, I think I'm missing something here...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ArtIsResistance posted:

Some goons have a really weird hate boner for Borderlands 2 and my favourite posts are the ones that include the words Borderlands and reddit

I'm surprised we've gone this far without someone showing up to regale the thread with important and not at all creepy or obsessive details about Anthony Burch.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

John Murdoch posted:

I'm surprised we've gone this far without someone showing up to regale the thread with important and not at all creepy or obsessive details about Anthony Burch.

kinda looks like the other thread is about to head in that direction.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Anthony Burch loves memes so much he styled several years of his life on the popular GBS censored "cuck" meme

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Might be my playstyle but Assassin's Creed IV sure likes to give me tutorial missions on things I've been doing for hours at that point. "Edward, come look at this Mayan stele I found, I wonder if-" - "yeah you climb up and do some stuff and dig a hole, wanna see my Mayan stone collection?"

Either lock that stuff away until I get to the mission or just give me the context for how it works in the setting when I find my first one. I'm expecting a mission that teaches me about assassination missions any minute.
goddamnit

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
why does sword wolf have one attack

please stop spinning around with that sword in your mouth

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

packetmantis posted:

Yes, it is a device where they stuck an animal in it, said animal would hit a button and randomly that button would give food. The animal would get addicted to pressing that button.

Now replace the button with the fire button and the food with good RNG on crits and weapon drops. Happy, smartass?

E: Also it turned into an insult because there was no way for me to say that without insinuating that people who like grindfests are living embodiment of the American Way, aka smashing your head against a brick wall and expecting to be rewarded because it took a long time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BillmasterCozb posted:

why does sword wolf have one attack

please stop spinning around with that sword in your mouth
Dogs aren't trained to use swords.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Canonically, Sif thinks that you're Artorias and just wants to play.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Unless you did the DLC first, then he knows you're you and just wants to play.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FactsAreUseless posted:

well I just set him on fire..a bunch

now my question is: why can i not roll through these ghosts, they are ghosts

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

What I don't like about Borderlands 2:

- You can't level your weapons with your character so you have to keep farming for replacements. This is particularly annoying when you get to OP levels.

- The same gun can have various parts. You can find one copy of a rare gun with say, the best possible grip and another with the best barrel or in your desired element or something but you can't disassemble them and use the parts to build one ideal gun. Instead, if you want such a gun you have to keep farming and hope you get one with both parts. No wonder people use Gibbed (wish I had access to that).

- Having to play lower difficulties with every new character. Some players (admittedly I'm not one of them) are skilled enough that there's no game in that for them until they get to at least UVHM. Also, the unskippable cutscenes and other content though this is thankfully short.

- Having to buy more inventory space with eridium. Just give us the space to begin with.

- Apparently some content was cancelled outright because the consoles wouldn't have been able to handle having it added to the game. Most of my gaming, including Borderlands 2, is console based and even I think that's a bunch of bullshit.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Also, the whole "was most likely funded by stealing money from publishers" thing.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Apparently this is the say things about Borderlands now so I will join in and say things about Borderlands. Ready? Here it goes:

Both Borderlands 1 and 2 start out incredibly boring, somewhat pick up for the middle part and are perfectly alright there but they wear out their welcome way before the end and just coast by on inertia from there on out. I picked up the DLC for 1, started all but never finished any of them, finished most of them for 2 though because one of them gave me a magic missile grenade or some poo poo and that was apparently enough for me. I didn't even pick up the third one because I figured it's still pretty much the same game and one of the later DLC for 2 was half an hour of combat then listening to someone talk for another half hour while having to confirm you're still awake and paying attention by answering a question for full DLC price. And that's not funny that's dickish as all gently caress and seriously gently caress these people.

Those are my words about Borderlands I hope you liked them bye.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The four kings wouldn't be so bad if there were a quicker shortcut to them than going through the valley of the drakes, and then either fighting or running past all the darkwraiths. The darkwraiths are not the hard part, but fighting two of the drakes is because they keep zipping and zopping across the field (I just run past the four at the end with my shield up). Sometimes I hit the darkwraiths, except I did my 2handed club strong attack right into their loving grab that does about 40% of my health in damage, and I guess it has super armor or something!. Then I get to the four kings and oh boy I pretty much got immediately grabbed and then jabbed to death. Fighting about two of them at once, and they can both grab me. I thought you were able to mash R1 and L1 out of grabs?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

BillmasterCozb posted:

The four kings wouldn't be so bad if there were a quicker shortcut to them than going through the valley of the drakes, and then either fighting or running past all the darkwraiths. The darkwraiths are not the hard part, but fighting two of the drakes is because they keep zipping and zopping across the field (I just run past the four at the end with my shield up). Sometimes I hit the darkwraiths, except I did my 2handed club strong attack right into their loving grab that does about 40% of my health in damage, and I guess it has super armor or something!. Then I get to the four kings and oh boy I pretty much got immediately grabbed and then jabbed to death. Fighting about two of them at once, and they can both grab me. I thought you were able to mash R1 and L1 out of grabs?

Have you not brought back the firelink shrine keeper yet? (assuming she died for you) If you have, start at firelink and take the elevator down (make sure to send it back up) and there's... a jump you can do, somewhere, that will get you real close to the boss room. There's some darkwraiths but you can just run and roll past them.

If you haven't brought her back, go check out Anor Londo, near O+S. Toughish fight but worth it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

BillmasterCozb posted:

if you got the stone armor in darkroot, it should have some resistances to help you during the four kings fight. also if your flame is strong enough, try using great combustion on them.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Action Tortoise posted:

if you got the stone armor in darkroot, it should have some resistances to help you during the four kings fight. also if your flame is strong enough, try using great combustion on them.

I'll go look for that stuff!

Mazerunner posted:

Have you not brought back the firelink shrine keeper yet? (assuming she died for you) If you have, start at firelink and take the elevator down (make sure to send it back up) and there's... a jump you can do, somewhere, that will get you real close to the boss room. There's some darkwraiths but you can just run and roll past them.

If you haven't brought her back, go check out Anor Londo, near O+S. Toughish fight but worth it.

I didn't like that sunlight guy, so I kicked him off a cliff at the shrine. Otherwise I would have let him live :v:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

BillmasterCozb posted:

I'll go look for that stuff!

I didn't like that sunlight guy, so I kicked him off a cliff at the shrine. Otherwise I would have let him live :v:

A+ good work.

Here's one shortcut not the one I used but looks alright.

Here's the one I used, just gotta watch out for that last knight.

If you've got the power within pyromancy from blighttown that really helps. Drains HP (slowly) but does a big damage boost. The safest place against the four kings is actually kind of right next to them, I think? I don't know your build but having a greatshield + heavy armour to tank, and then just wreck them quick with pyromancy is a good strat. If you keep attacking during the death animation you'll continue to do damage to the overall health bar.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

How are you dying enough to Four Kings to get annoyed about the run back?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mazerunner posted:

A+ good work.

Here's one shortcut not the one I used but looks alright.

Here's the one I used, just gotta watch out for that last knight.

If you've got the power within pyromancy from blighttown that really helps. Drains HP (slowly) but does a big damage boost. The safest place against the four kings is actually kind of right next to them, I think? I don't know your build but having a greatshield + heavy armour to tank, and then just wreck them quick with pyromancy is a good strat. If you keep attacking during the death animation you'll continue to do damage to the overall health bar.

I've got the mask of the child, giant armor +5/4/2 (chest, hands, and feet, respectively), club+10, grass crest shield and black knight shield. Ring of favor and protection + (usually) havel's ring, but for this it's the required ring

FactsAreUseless posted:

How are you dying enough to Four Kings to get annoyed about the run back?

I am very bad at dodging grabs, it's a "git gud" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

BillmasterCozb posted:

I've got the mask of the child, giant armor +5/4/2 (chest, hands, and feet, respectively), club+10, grass crest shield and black knight shield. Ring of favor and protection + (usually) havel's ring, but for this it's the required ring

I am very bad at dodging grabs, it's a "git gud" thing.

What level are you? If you're on pc I have like eight different guys who might be able to help. 4 kings gets easier with a friend, a friend who isn't beatrice the NPC witch who basically does nothing. She's great vs. the butterfly but terrible vs. the kings.