Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm in the "Gyro is the co-main slot and therefore technically not a brojo so my friend Okuyasu can take the best brojo slot he has earned while Gyro gets to be a JoJo main character who isn't even a JoJo and the credit he has earned from that" camp.

The fact that Gyro has a handful of Okuyasu's iconic lines is the icing on the cake.

I do not appreciate you tainting these pure anime boys with such underhanded politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I will PM you a picture of DIO pissing himself, I swear to DIO.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can you pm me a picture of dio kissing himself

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No, I only have the pissing one.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

hoobajoo posted:

Oku is definitely my pick for Best Brojo, he's great, and a lot smarter than people give him credit for.

oku was literally too dumb to die

i love him but good lord he should never be in the same sentence as "smart" without a not added in before it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's not really how it is. He's in limbo and he can either follow Keicho in death or return to Morioh and he chooses the latter and then plays dead until he can get a decisive shot in on Kira.

As for "smarter than people give him credit for", re-read Harvest.
He's not clever and doesn't use his stand remotely efficiently, but he's not "dumbest character of all time" level. He just doesn't really think things through, he's hot headed.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

okuyasu mostly just lacks critical thinking skills, like when he ripped away the ground when fighting red hot chili peppers and exposed the electrical cable. otherwise he's just more or less a very mildly dumber than average teenager who has spent most his life up to that point being constantly belittled by his family.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I will PM you a picture of DIO pissing himself, I swear to DIO.

is it because he didn't control johnatan's body very well at that point.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

idk, I didn't draw it, I didn't decide the canon behind it.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Reminder that at one point Okuyasu pulls better grades than Koichi :laugh:

He's not at all quick-thinking and is definitely not using The Hand to full potential (there's a ton that can be done with it, I think, that he'd just never think to do or even care about doing) but he's not a straight up idiot. Keicho puts a roof over his head sorta and obviously makes some sort of attempt at giving him a normal life (I mean, he was still in school until Morioh, right, though he had to be enrolled after Keicho's death?) but the #1 reason I can never get onboard with liking Keicho is the guy loving drills it into his brother's head that he's a moron so Okuyasu's immediate go to is "I'm a moron and I can't handle this without big bro" and Keicho's world revolves around the arrow/dealing with dad first, anything else second. He dies defending Okuyasu and deserves some credit for that but that whole situation is Keicho being Keicho in the first place. Keicho looks cool and his Stand is cool tho

Sorry since that's not really direct canon related but that's why I bristle at the suggestion that he's an idiot through and through. He can be perceptive. He's never going to be as smart as Josuke/Koichi but whatever.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Gyro and Johnny probably have the most complex relationship between two characters in Jojo, which I feel is reinforced by the fact people still like to argue over who the main character is (my opinion: their both main characters but Johnny is the more main). The earlier chapters set us up to expect Gyro to take the protagonist's seat with Johnny as his sidekick, only then it seems to shift to Johnny being the protagonist while Gyro acts as his mentor, only sometimes Johnny's actually Gyro's mentor, et cetera. The nature of their relationship ebbs and flows throughout the whole series, sometimes stressing how one won't change and one will, then switching it around. They make stupid jokes together that no one else finds funny, they talk about stupid stuff; they waste time, get frustrated with each other, give each other crap, but still come to each other's aid; one gets in trouble, the other gets him out, then it's their turn to get in trouble. It's one of my two favorite examples in anime and manga of a "Guy" friendship, the other being JP and Frisbee's friendship in the film Redline. These two examples between themselves represent a microcosm of accurate male friendships in a way I find most popular media (Japanese, American, or otherwise) doesn't.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I feel like Johnny comes more to the fore once SBR went to Ultra Jump and officially became part 7 rather than it sort of being a bit up in the air as to what Araki fully intended with SBR.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 9, 2016

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Okuyasu takes care of himself and his father and is mature enough to manage money like an adult. He might not be book smart, but he's the kind of guy that knows how to survive.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Bad Seafood posted:

Gyro and Johnny probably have the most complex relationship between two characters in Jojo, which I feel is reinforced by the fact people still like to argue over who the main character is (my opinion: their both main characters but Johnny is the more main). The earlier chapters set us up to expect Gyro to take the protagonist's seat with Johnny as his sidekick, only then it seems to shift to Johnny being the protagonist while Gyro acts as his mentor, only sometimes Johnny's actually Gyro's mentor, et cetera. The nature of their relationship ebbs and flows throughout the whole series, sometimes stressing how one won't change and one will, then switching it around. They make stupid jokes together that no one else finds funny, they talk about stupid stuff; they waste time, get frustrated with each other, give each other crap, but still come to each other's aid; one gets in trouble, the other gets him out, then it's their turn to get in trouble. It's one of my two favorite examples in anime and manga of a "Guy" friendship, the other being JP and Frisbee's friendship in the film Redline. These two examples between themselves represent a microcosm of accurate male friendships in a way I find most popular media (Japanese, American, or otherwise) doesn't.

:yeah:

SBR would probably be my favorite part for that aspect alone, just because of how well Araki nails it, and everything else around that central relationship just makes it all the stronger.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Savage Garden is the name of the pigeon that delivers Jotaro's Stand Disc to the SPW Foundation in Part 6, by the way.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Savage Garden is the name of the pigeon that delivers Jotaro's Stand Disc to the SPW Foundation in Part 6, by the way.

I hope one day Araki says it was a relative of the pigeon Joseph stuffed in a woman's mouth.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

He dies defending Okuyasu and deserves some credit for that
I agree with you everywhere except here. I never felt Keicho's sacrifice came from a place of love because that love doesn't really manifest anywhere else.

It's not rare to see an abuser care about the safety of the target of their abuse. That whole situation ending with Keicho's death is an emotional quagmire in a really interesting way that you don't see a lot of in fiction. Okuyasu knows Keicho got what he deserved but sees it as proof his brother still cares for him which is part of his grieving proces, even if it's a little warped due to our outside perspective. Okuyasu even looks to Josuke for validation that yes, his brother did love him in the end and Josuke does the most emotionally mature thing and agrees and for once, Okuyasu's feelings are validated, someone is telling him that it's okay to think and feel what you are thinking and feeling.

I don't think Keicho is some inhuman monster, the entire Nijimura's family situation is just hosed and no one there deserved what happened. Keicho was dealt an impossible situation for a kid his age, let alone anyone, but stomping down his younger brother constantly in an attempt to feel some amount of control again in his life was just...that's not the way to handle that.

I really wish things had shaken out differently for the Nijimura family .

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I agree, honestly that comment was more of a hedge because last time I flat out said I think Keicho is an abuser (in an admittedly poo poo situation for him & one in which he was also abused) it didn't go over super well here. Everything you said is what I think about it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Keicho cared for Okuyasu and as you suggest, it was definitely in an impossible situation where no young man could ever deal with it with actual decency or without lashing out. He bullies Okuyasu and beats his father but it's an act of desperation. No one is there to look after Keicho.

In the end though, Okuyasu gets his closure regarding Keicho and we get confirmation that Keicho did want Okuyasu to be his own person and live as he sees fit. Josuke wasn't lying to make Okuyasu feel better in the end.

Check it!

He is a prick though. (they're going to animate this entire fuckin fight aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I can't believe part iv is being animated guys.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_if8Y9PdDHg

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Kurtofan posted:

There's an extremely good chance that I will just loving die when I get to see this animated

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Kurtofan posted:

It must be the work of a friendly Stand.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want them to do the to be continued on Josuke's "this fucker just said Kira Yoshikage" face

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
Aside from Highway Star, I am most excited for the episodes from Kira's POV, especially the one where he almost gets killed by that darned cat.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i hope people get probated if they complain about 'filler'

tonio will be the litmus test

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
People should learn the difference between digressions and filler.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Didn't you say you're banning Filler people Seafood?????

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Let's not get upset about people calling good poo poo "filler", yet.

There will be ample time going forward.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i will not accept any slights against tonio

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Complaining about filler in Part 4 will be a probatable offense, yes.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Johnny Joestar posted:

i hope people get probated if they complain about 'filler'

tonio will be the litmus test

tonio is in the opening, he is safe.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Complaining about the Tonio episode specifically will result in a probation featuring a large picture of Guy Fieri.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

They're not gonna hate it! They are going to see how great Josuke and Okuyasu are together and they're going to go crazy over it. If anyone complains it'll be like this tiny fringe of people who have kvetched all along and don't count.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Bad Seafood posted:

Complaining about the Tonio episode specifically will result in a probation featuring a large picture of Guy Fieri.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Bad Seafood posted:

this but with a ban imo

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Also, I know yesterday I speculated we might get a new ED after the Red Hot Chili Peppers fight, but something else that supports this is the fact that - ignoring the teaser bit where we get a bunch of quick flashes of silhouettes of everybody - all of the characters who appear in the OP are people who get introduced before Akira.

As of now I'm putting my money on us getting a new OP and ED after that point. They might stick with the same musical tracks, but the animated segments will be different, which might be why they opted for the traditional hand-drawn look over CGI this time around since they knew they'd be burning through multiple different OPs in a short span of time.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

Also, I know yesterday I speculated we might get a new ED after the Red Hot Chili Peppers fight, but something else that supports this is the fact that - ignoring the teaser bit where we get a bunch of quick flashes of silhouettes of everybody - all of the characters who appear in the OP are people who get introduced before Akira.

Exactly. There are guys in it who show up in the beginning and not much after. It's reflective of early art (like what I linked in the other thread) but that shifts quickly. It'd be weird to have Keicho still in the ED by the time we get to, say, Harvest.

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 9, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the only real edits to a CG opening/whatever that i remember are the addition of dio in the previous OP, and for the most part that was just flat colors overlaid over existing scenes and then the bit at the end, which i assume was easier to attach than actually changing stuff in the middle, so everything being drawn should make things easier to edit in whatever way they want for this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If the rumors of a single 39-episode season pan out, I imagine we'll end up having two OP/ED switch-ups: the first after Red Hot Chili Peppers, the second after Sheer Heart Attack and Kira's makeover.

Here's my vote for the third ED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWcu87c8nRI