Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

I don't think bladed weapons work that way. But this is where Darth Sithsaberknees came from so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also she got in a massive slapfight with one of the other authors on the Legacy of the force series and they engaged in passive-agressive sniping through the rest of the series. Including Jaina Solo, an accomplished Jedi Knight in her own right, tracking down Boba Fett to teach her how to fight a Sith Lord - rather than say, Luke Skywalker, her uncle, who actually did fight a Sith Lord and various other darksiders whiel Fett only ever killed the occassional Jedi.

Yeah, she trains with Fett in the penultimate book (though I don't think he actually teaches her anything she doesn't already know - of course, exactly why the man who was taken out by a half-blind Han Solo by accident is someone who can show you how to beat a Sith Lord never really comes up), then in the final book by Troy Denning, uses absolutely none of what she supposedly learned, and also Fett is afflicted with some kind of virus that will kill him if he ever returns to the Mandalorian home planet. Of course, Denning wasn't much better, because in the big destined confrontation between Jaina Solo and her evil brother, Luke still did most of the work.

What a bad series. It's the one where Luke Skywalker's 14-year old son is molested by a Dark Jedi who's about twice his age.

Bringing it back round to comics, I like the story about Randy Stradley (who was Dark Horse's main Star Wars editor for most of the 2000s) responding to criticism that he didn't feature enough Mandalorians in the comics by writing scenes with the Mandalorians are in full retreat.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Having a Jedi getting trained by Boba Fett would have redeemed itself if we got a Jedi with a jetpack.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The first couple pages of Star Wars #16 are up for preview.

http://www.previewsworld.com/catalogimages/STK_IMAGES_PDF/STK680001-700000/STK696347.pdf

Leiniel Yu's artwork :syoon:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

OhFunny posted:

http://www.previewsworld.com/catalogimages/STK_IMAGES_PDF/STK680001-700000/STK696347.pdf

So Star Wars and Star Wars Darth Vader are basically a single comic series now?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

They've been running in parallel and crisscrossing with each other since they launched.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

boom boom boom posted:

Yep. And they've both been really good.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Gammatron 64 posted:

I fuckin' love Wedge Antilles.

When you are the uncle of a great Jedi you are expected to be a good pilot!

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

OhFunny posted:

Man, that's a thousand times better than the lazily traced poo poo we got last book.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Having now caught up on all the series I think I'd order them like so:

Lando
Chewie
Kanan
Obi & Ani
Vader
Star Wars
Leia
Journey to TFA

The art & writing in Lando was awesome. Chewie's was great too. I really like the fleshing out of the story so far on Kanan & the Obi/Ani book, especially showing Anakin actually training & being kind of a powerful gently caress up.

Vader & Star Wars both oscillate between good & too weird bad. Vader teaming up with the scientist thief & the killer droids was good, while dodging his shadows. Vader competing with robo-ackbar & some other poo poo characters was/is bad. Similarly with Star Wars I liked a lot of the stuff, like Han Solo's wife being part of an old con he pulled, but disliked some stuff like Luke fighting Boba Fett on tatooine or the entire Vader down bit.

I hope we get more miniseries, as I think they have been the strongest.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 16, 2016

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Jedi vs Sith

This was a really interesting read; I had no idea Star Wars comics would do such a grisly tragedy starring young kids. No one gets a happy ending, they lose their trust in the Jedi, one gets maimed and killed by a weapon of mass destruction, one gets maimed and loses his family and worldview, one loses her belief in the good in the world and becomes a Sith Lord.

And yes, I saw the vaguely hopeful ending for Tomcat... Except that according to the wiki, he crosses paths with Rain again in the future, but she has fully become Darth Zannah at this point, and uses the Force to drive him insane, so that he gets killed by the Jedi who were after Zannah and throws them off her trail.

Really a much darker tale than I ever expected from Star Wars.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phenotype posted:

And yes, I saw the vaguely hopeful ending for Tomcat... Except that according to the wiki, he crosses paths with Rain again in the future, but she has fully become Darth Zannah at this point, and uses the Force to drive him insane, so that he gets killed by the Jedi who were after Zannah and throws them off her trail.

I considered mentioning that, but decided against it. As I did note, I wasn't very impressed by the second Darth Bane novel and the part you're describing was one of its biggest weaknesses. It's the mechanism by which Bane and Zannah are able to escape the Jedi and create the new Sith order that eventually produces Palpatine and overthrows the Republic, but it relies on the Jedi being complete idiots rather than Bane being clever, which rubbed me the wrong way.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

The Jedi's look in the bottom-middle. I'm left wondering along the lines of 'Did he realise just how badly he hosed up, and what he'd just unleashed? Did he feel the hate? Did he know what was coming?'

From the images in that lot, Bane's being...oddly patient. Maybe it's because I don't know about him much. I wonder about that line: "Because there would no joy or use in his death" "You are still young"

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 16, 2016

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo the art change in Star Wars 016 is amazing. Entire issue was great.

Han & luke's bit killed me.

"But that's more than my bounty?" :smith:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Holy poo poo the art change in Star Wars 016 is amazing. Entire issue was great.

Han & luke's bit killed me.

"But that's more than my bounty?" :smith:

I thought it was real low for the guy who blew up the Death Star or does the Empire still not know who did it?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

OhFunny posted:

I thought it was real low for the guy who blew up the Death Star or does the Empire still not know who did it?

As far as I can tell, it's a "general" bounty that just says "60000 for the Rebel pilot who blew up the Death Star".

Because I have no doubt that Vader's probably offering a shitton more behind the scenes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

As far as I can tell, it's a "general" bounty that just says "60000 for the Rebel pilot who blew up the Death Star".

Because I have no doubt that Vader's probably offering a shitton more behind the scenes.

I assume it will go up once the Emperor finds out who the pilot is.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

So who else thinks the villain in the Rebel Jail arc is the rebel spy from the Star Wars Annual?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Man, the art in Vader down is really bad, Particularly after going through immomens stuff.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm trying to catch up on my sw books and I enjoyed seeing a ship like Kyle Katarn's in kanan.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The first issue of Poe Dameron was pretty cool - looks like it's actually gonna fill in some blanks in the pre-TFA story.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Well, you don't get to be the best pilot in the Resistance overnight! There's a story there.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Cat Machine posted:

The first issue of Poe Dameron was pretty cool - looks like it's actually gonna fill in some blanks in the pre-TFA story.

It's got that X-Wing comic vibe to it. I like it.

Although it's an ongoing series instead of limited? How long was he looking for Max Von's character?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Well, you don't get to be the best pilot in the Resistance overnight! There's a story there.

See if this new trilogy was written by GL it would be revealed in that series that Poe was in fact Boba Fett.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

OhFunny posted:

Although it's an ongoing series instead of limited? How long was he looking for Max Von's character?
I'm pretty sure they said the first arc is the search for Lor San Tekka and then it's gonna cover some post-TFA stuff

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fuckin Noto man

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?

zoux posted:

Fuckin Noto man

:swoon:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

zoux posted:

Fuckin Noto man

:swoon: Is that who I think it is to the right of the Death Star?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's been rumored Vader appears in it, yeah.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I can't imagine why not, it's the right era and if they can get JEJ to voice him for Rebels, seems like he'd be available for Rogue One.

It's pretty cool that one of the best living comic book artists is also extremely obsessed with Star Wars so he turns out pin up quality designs for the gently caress of it.

Also Poe Dameron is gorgeous, people talke about Notoface but when he's drawing from reference it's a perfect rendering.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah that rogue one poster looks like he just traced a picture. If he did that just by hand omg

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I'm bananas about the Mon Mothma casting. It's like they cloned what's-her-name who played the character in RotJ.

Everything about Rogue One looks cool + good. I hope it leads to some good comics as well.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

It's been rumored Vader appears in it, yeah.
I can't imagine Vader not appearing.

Squizzle posted:

I'm bananas about the Mon Mothma casting. It's like they cloned what's-her-name who played the character in RotJ.

Everything about Rogue One looks cool + good. I hope it leads to some good comics as well.
It's the same actress who played MonMo in the second or third prequel, whose scene was deleted. I thought that was neat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

site posted:

Yeah that rogue one poster looks like he just traced a picture. If he did that just by hand omg

I assume he was drawing from trailer stills since everyone there is in roughly a similar pose but the angles are different enough that I don't think he was light boxing or anything.

Even if it was a trace, the colors and composition alone are still masterful.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So, uh, does Poe switch X-Wing, then switch back? Because the X-Wing he's flying at the start of the movie is white/gray and blue, not the orange and black one he's flying at the end and in the comic.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

So, uh, does Poe switch X-Wing, then switch back? Because the X-Wing he's flying at the start of the movie is white/gray and blue, not the orange and black one he's flying at the end and in the comic.

I guess so since the x-wing at the start of the movie is blown up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The white and blue ones are standard models, the orange and black one is his specific one.

The main reason he was using a standard one at the beginning of the movie was presumably so they could have it blown up in the scene, though I'm sure given enough EU stuff they will come up with a canon explanation like they do for every other production mistake, choice and cheat.

(Betting on Leia having him fly a standard one because they can't let the First Order know the mission is so important they're sending their #1 pilot.)

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 11, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
his preferred ship was getting repairs the end

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
maybe we will learn where his xwing is in the comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Speaking of, does anyone remember a different version of the updated X-Wings in the very first TFA trailer? The wings were offset instead of stacked flat with the lower set fit ahead of the upper set when they were folded up, it looked pretty cool.