Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Magome area

I don't think I will ever get tired of the mountains.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why do so many goons bring their cats to Japan. Give the fuckers away and save yourself a headache and the animals an ordeal.

Because they are not the ones paying for it.

And state department gives the royal treatment

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How doable is traveling through Hokkaido without a car? I'm looking into some places I want to visit there and it seems like it'll be pretty hard to get anywhere without one. I've been to Sapporo and Noboribetsu, both of which were easy to get to, but looking at Shiretoko, Sounkyo or Lake Toya makes me think this'll be pretty hard.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's doable by buses but schedule is really tight. You are much better off driving and I find drivers here to be relatively polite. Well at least better than Europeans.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If I want to visit the tuna auction at Tsukiji, any suggestions for things to do until like 2am that are not too far away?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
First of all did you register ?

Things to do in that time? Mostly drinking, karaoke, or getting a massage. Or a hostess / host club.

Goon option is sit in a lan cubicle

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Registration? Do you not have to show up before all spots are taken by other people anymore?

Cessy
May 15, 2009

peanut posted:

Quarantine is 6 months, isn't it? How long are you planning to stay in Japan?

Yeah, 6 months after the blood sample test, though we'll be doing part of it here. We're probably staying for a few years, at least.

As for why we haven't given them away, they're 10-ish years old and no one we know wants them, so we will instead be burning our savings on bringing them with us.

Lumberjosh
Feb 23, 2014
Hey Goons,

I'm looking for some employment advice from those currently living in Japan.

First some context: I'm a serial tech startup guy (not a coder, but Director-level biz dev, marketing, branding, PR, product design, etc.) whose company may be tanking in the next two months. Like most nerds in the US I have always fantasized about living and working in Japan. The closest I've gotten is doing business for a few months abroad in Singapore/Malaysia/China and spending a layover in Narita. I'm asking about Japan because my girlfriend speaks Japanese and will be traveling there to speak about education and visit some schools around Tokyo in the next few weeks.

The question: Is there any demand for higher level non-fluent non-technical talent in Japan? If these types of jobs exist (or you've ever heard of these types of positions popping up) I'd love to hear more about them. I'm also curious if there are any good communities where folks discuss this sort of thing? I've seen sites like https://justa.io/en which list startup job availability but it seems like most of it either requires fluency, or the postings are intended to hire really low cost talent.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

quote:

but it seems like most of it either requires fluency, or the postings are intended to hire really low cost talent.

Basically this. The companies don't really know what kind of tech staff they need, so fluency is usually prioritized over competency.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Oh a gaijin who speaks no Japanese yet demands a high salary because he is director-level biz dev/branding/PR/made up bullshit? You're hired!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm not sure if "Ideas Guy" is a hot job market in Japan.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I can't think of a single good reason for someone to work in Japan if they can work anywhere else - especially in the tech field. Even working remotely from Japan is going to be better than working for a company in Japan.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

zmcnulty posted:

Oh a gaijin who speaks no Japanese yet demands a high salary because he is director-level biz dev/branding/PR/made up bullshit? You're hired!

Tanking company.

Lumberjosh
Feb 23, 2014
Life as an 'ideas' guy tends to include the soft-skills-smackdown. But honestly, companies in every country on earth need people that do the bullshit high-level business and marketing work, and shockingly it's not a skill-set that many people have (that is to say most neckbeards lack rudimentary creative, social and management abilities). At least that's what I tell myself to sleep at night.

Anyways, my question is whether or not anyone out there has seen these types of positions being held by non-fluent foreigners? Given the responses I'm assuming the answer is no, or at least that it's very uncommon. Also, just to clarify, I'm not asking about finding a highly paid position sitting around making power points about synergy, pivoting, and product-market fit. I'm generally interested in soft-skills product/marketing/biz-dev positions (the types of things that every company on earth needs people to do).

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Companies are bad at efficiency and productivity.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Lumberjosh posted:

Life as an 'ideas' guy tends to include the soft-skills-smackdown. But honestly, companies in every country on earth need people that do the bullshit high-level business and marketing work, and shockingly it's not a skill-set that many people have (that is to say most neckbeards lack rudimentary creative, social and management abilities). At least that's what I tell myself to sleep at night.

Anyways, my question is whether or not anyone out there has seen these types of positions being held by non-fluent foreigners? Given the responses I'm assuming the answer is no, or at least that it's very uncommon. Also, just to clarify, I'm not asking about finding a highly paid position sitting around making power points about synergy, pivoting, and product-market fit. I'm generally interested in soft-skills product/marketing/biz-dev positions (the types of things that every company on earth needs people to do).

Most of those positions are for people who are transferred internally, aka the expat package. Out of curiosity, how do you intend to do marketing and business development in a country where you can't speak the same language as your potential customers?

Lumberjosh
Feb 23, 2014

Stringent posted:

Most of those positions are for people who are transferred internally, aka the expat package. Out of curiosity, how do you intend to do marketing and business development in a country where you can't speak the same language as your potential customers?

I'd be limited to working with international firms. From what I've seen most of the positions that are listed without fluency requirements are for companies in Japan that are looking to grow their audience internationally.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

zmcnulty posted:

I unironically also would like to apply for this job

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Like people have said, in Japan they would rather hire a Japanese person with minimal qualifications over a foreigner with good qualifications, especially one that doesn't speak the language and knows nothing about how Japanese society and business function. It'd be a hard sell to convince them to hire you based off your intangible business development skills you gained from your failed start-up tech company.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In my anecdotal experience I've noticed a lot more foreigners working outside the teaching industry than I did 8 years ago. Could be that the market for English teachers is worse (it is) or that I'm older and thus I hang out with sophisticated older gaijins or even that Japanese companies are opening up a little bit more to foreign workers.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Lumberjosh posted:

I'd be limited to working with international firms. From what I've seen most of the positions that are listed without fluency requirements are for companies in Japan that are looking to grow their audience internationally.

Sounds like a bit of a needle in a haystack, but good luck.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ned posted:

I can't think of a single good reason for someone to work in Japan if they can work anywhere else - especially in the tech field. Even working remotely from Japan is going to be better than working for a company in Japan.

If anyone here has worked for a US company remotely in Japan I'd be interested in hearing how taxes and stuff worked out. Do you pay both US and Japan taxes?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
It's no different than working for a Japanese company in Japan.

If you're in Japan more than 180 (181?) days in a year working you owe Japanese taxes based on the portion of time working in Japan. For US taxes, you get a Foreign Income Exemption Deduction that is just over $100k now, on top of other deductions and such that you can take.

If you are making less than $100k then it will be easy to fill out some forms. If you have more than that then I recommend hiring a company to do your taxes if your company won't do it for you. I'm on an expat contract so a lot of stuff counts as income even though it's money I never see (i.e. company paid flight home yearly). My tax forms with all the paperwork this year filled out by our tax company is something like 19 pages due to all sorts of calculations and tax credits that have to be carried over and moved around properly.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Uh, you only get the foreign earned income exemption if you're out of the US for 330 or more days in a calendar year, not 180.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

zmcnulty posted:

Do listed salaries include bonuses? Because if not then the pay would seem especially low.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

Do listed salaries include bonuses? Because if not then the pay would seem especially low.

Of course they do, just sign here ___________.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I am looking to spend about a week in Japan from August 8th to 14th. I am mostly going to spend time in or around Tokyo. My intent was to do a two day climb up Mt. Fuji from August 10th to August 11th.

This is a Wednesday to Thursday weekday, however it is right before the Oben holiday. Additionally, apparently August 11th is the inaugural Japanese "Mountain Day".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-salarymen.html
The objective of the new legislation stated that the day was created in order to share “opportunities to get familiar with mountains and appreciate blessings form mountains”.

I can't even make this poo poo up.

So now I am worried that going anywhere near Mt. Fuji is going to be a clusterfuck. My intent was to go up the lesser used (but more difficult) Gotemba trail to avoid the mob. I have the experience and the physical fitness to do this, but am still worried about crowds, hut space, etc.

Anyone have any experience with this? Technically Obon starts on the 13th, so I am missing the bulk of that madness, but will still probably have people taking long weekends. Likewise, "Mountain Day" seems to be like the Japanese equivalent of Columbus day, so I am not sure it will have much of an effect on crowds. However it is a national holiday, so who knows.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It will be terrible even before you get to Mt Fuji. Please change your travel dates

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Obon dates are different by region and sometimes by company, if observed. August is going to be horrible - try to climb Fuji on a July weekday if you want to avoid crowds.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
That's what I thought. The whole Japan thing is currently just an offshoot of my changed itinerary for 2-3 weeks in China. I had 6-7 days to spare, so I thought I would try to climb Fuji. However when I do that I don't want to be bogged down with 30,000 other climbers.

I might just push this off to some other time if I am ever back in Japan.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Cheesemaster200 posted:

That's what I thought. The whole Japan thing is currently just an offshoot of my changed itinerary for 2-3 weeks in China. I had 6-7 days to spare, so I thought I would try to climb Fuji. However when I do that I don't want to be bogged down with 30,000 other climbers.

I might just push this off to some other time if I am ever back in Japan.

Japan is 85% mountains and with the efficiency and speed of the trains there, the possibilities are endless for any hike besides Mt Fuji.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Climbing Fuji jet lagged would be ideal considering the whole sunrise watching thing

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
http://shanghaiist.com/2016/04/08/chinese_tourists_japanese_cherry_trees.php

NO loving WAY

Can someone tell me which park they went to? I was mostly in Yoyogi and Ueno and didn't see anything disastrous. I know it's a very very minor population but I'm still loving pissed. I'm also kind of peeved at Japanese people pulling the branches for photos

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
chinese tourists going abroad acting like chinese tourists? some shocking behavior here, let me tell you

edit: from the comments there,

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 9, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yoyogi park was mostly foreigners and GOONS

Most of the Chinese tourists I saw were in Ueno and Shinjuku

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I am looking to spend about a week in Japan from August 8th to 14th. I am mostly going to spend time in or around Tokyo. My intent was to do a two day climb up Mt. Fuji from August 10th to August 11th.

This is a Wednesday to Thursday weekday, however it is right before the Oben holiday. Additionally, apparently August 11th is the inaugural Japanese "Mountain Day".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-salarymen.html
The objective of the new legislation stated that the day was created in order to share “opportunities to get familiar with mountains and appreciate blessings form mountains”.

I can't even make this poo poo up.

So now I am worried that going anywhere near Mt. Fuji is going to be a clusterfuck. My intent was to go up the lesser used (but more difficult) Gotemba trail to avoid the mob. I have the experience and the physical fitness to do this, but am still worried about crowds, hut space, etc.

Anyone have any experience with this? Technically Obon starts on the 13th, so I am missing the bulk of that madness, but will still probably have people taking long weekends. Likewise, "Mountain Day" seems to be like the Japanese equivalent of Columbus day, so I am not sure it will have much of an effect on crowds. However it is a national holiday, so who knows.

Hey, I went on a 14 day trip to Japan 3 years ago from August 8 to 22. We climbed Fuji on August 10 and 11, exactly like you. Not sure if Obon are the same dates or not this year but it was totally fine from what I remember. We did the Gotemba trail and it wasn't too crowded, since it was the hardest one. Didn't see too many people or have to queue. Was busy at the top though, tens of thousands of people on the summit.

EDIT: we didn't use any huts, just kept climbing, resting every now and then. From memory we started at 6PM and got to the summit at about 4AM.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I saw a bunch of tourists grabbing branches at Shinjuku Gyoen and it definitely sucked.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Then again, they're just trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Government trees.