Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mw6LyyoeGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I just watched The Force Awakens. It was fun. I liked Han and Chewie a lot in it.

That's about all I gotta say about it. 7/10

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

No no, its 7/9

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

jivjov posted:

No no, its 7/9

but there will be exactly 10 live-action Star Wars movies after the upcoming boycott of Rogue One proves to Disney what an OUTRAGE it is to have women as main characters, so that Disney will cancel Episodes VIII and IX and only make the Han Solo and Boba Fett movies

Right?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

How does that make the movie risky instead of just making it harder to market?

If TFA was taking risks... well, a risk would be showing that the fascist military are the good guys. Or Luke Skywalker turning into a dragon that flies through space. Those are risk, because you're making massive gamble with how audiences and critics will react.

It's a Star Wars movie about what the hell happened to Luke and the new Jedi and doesn't show Luke until the last minute of the movie, whereupon he says no lines.

Anyway, the movie pushes a post Syria analysis of conflict. Where the OT and PT argue from a post Vietnam/post Iraq point of view claiming that intervention is an inherently bad thing in the PT and that discarding your weapons is the way to resolve conflict in the OT, TFA argues that intervention is necessary and justifiable early on in conflicts. The consequences of not doing so result in the Republic being blown away.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The prequel trilogy does not argue from a post-Iraq perspective.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Zoran posted:

The prequel trilogy does not argue from a post-Iraq perspective.

And afghanistan. ROTS certainly does.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Episode II & III are a warning about not allowing a government figure to have too much power (this isn't the only theme, it's one of many). This was a hot topic issue during the George W. Bush years where government officials gave themselves more and more power over people and how they conducted war and the prequels were released during that time, minus Episode I.

The overall politics of Star Wars movies capture the anxiety of the time. In the OT it was about shadowy government figures operating from the shadows, the prequels are about governments with too much power and no accountability, and the sequel trilogy is about a whiny entitled white dude.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 9, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Having armed fotces is not too much power for a government to hold.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

It's a Star Wars movie about what the hell happened to Luke and the new Jedi and doesn't show Luke until the last minute of the movie, whereupon he says no lines.

The last Star Wars movie before TFA also had Luke show up for a minute at the end, without lines.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 9, 2016

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I just watched The Force Awakens. It was fun. I liked Han and Chewie a lot in it.

That's about all I gotta say about it. 7/10

I liked it too. It was cool when the xwings came to that jungle place and saved the day. I also liked when finn and the pilot met up again and he was cool about the jacket

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Interesting note: Attack of the Clones finished filming in September of 2000, and was released in May of 2002. So the Bush/ 9/11 parallels at the time were pretty much coincidental, or at least those anxieties existed pre-9/11.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

The last Star Wars movie before TFA also had Luke show up for a minute at the end, without lines.

It wasn't about finding Luke.

computer parts posted:

Interesting note: Attack of the Clones finished filming in September of 2000, and was released in May of 2002. So the Bush/ 9/11 parallels at the time were pretty much coincidental, or at least those anxieties existed pre-9/11.

That's actually really interesting. I'd assumed it finished somewhere in 2001. Still I feel like the anxieties around intervention certainly still did exist following Somalia in '92 and Iraq and Afghanistan cemented that.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 9, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yorkshire Tea posted:

That's actually really interesting. I'd assumed it finished somewhere in 2001 when this poo poo was becoming more apparent.

There were reshoots in March of 2001 going by Wikipedia, but still several months away from 9/11.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

No no, its 7/9

Wrong franchise for seven of nine.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

jivjov posted:

No no, its 7/9

That's Star Trek

edit: missed it by that much

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Yorkshire Tea posted:

It wasn't about finding Luke.

Neither is TFA.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like the scenes in Jakku and I think they do convey a life that's separate from that on Tattooine, and they don't drag the pace down at all since we're transitioning from the very busy opening and to Finn and Poe's Excellent Adventure.

The lack of interaction between the people of Jakku is itself telling, and it seems to me that rather than "sentimentality", it's conveying the opposite- that sometimes poverty and ruthless capitalism breeds isolation and despair. The shot of the bread being made is good because it's not just a neat (apparently practical) effect, but conveys how base life is here. We should not think that the poor are better off being poor and virtuous, because that thinking helps enable the tolerance of slavery and peasantry. Rey is not a happy serf.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Neither is TFA.

quote:

Luke Skywalker has vanished. In his absence, the sinister FIRST ORDER has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed.

With the support of the REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE. She is desperate to find her brother Luke and gain his help in restoring peace and justice to the galaxy.

Leia has sent her most daring pilot on a secret mission to Jakku, where an old ally has discovered a clue to Luke’s whereabouts…

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Neither is TFA.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=191162

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

TFA is mostly about fighting the First Order actually. The First Order trying to find Luke Skywalker triggers the plot, but it isn't what the movie is really about.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 9, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
'Finding Luke Skywalker' is purely metaphorical in the film, and basically just means 'rediscovering the spirit of Star Wars' after the prequels' harsh critiques. ("This will begin to make things right.")

The trick is that Luke Skywalker never shows up, so it's already very implicit that there's something wrong with TFA - that it and its characters misidentify what Star Wars is really about.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Episode VIII is just two hours and twenty minutes of Luke Skywalker standing on the ledge talking to Rey about trade disputes.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Episode VIII is just two hours and twenty minutes of Luke Skywalker standing on the ledge talking to Rey about trade disputes.

Probably still be better than Attack of the Clones to me.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Rabelais D posted:

Abrams gave us a Wrath of Khan remake without a submarines-in-space battle, and a Star Wars IV remake without a good death star assault.

Does he even understand space franchises!?!

Into Darkness is def not submarines, it's a frigate vs a ship-of-the-line, complete with sabotage/boarding party since they are so heavily out-gunned. It was much better than the starkiller run.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Probably still be better than Attack of the Clones to me.

ok...explain please???

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

We live in a world where the Alien franchise exist, yet a female lead in Star Wars is crossing the line and shoving progressive liberal ideals down our throats.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

Every gangster that Dredd kills is a cycle of violence ended.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Wild Horses posted:

ok...explain please???

I think Attack of the Clones is Very Boring.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Free Baron Bifford.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I think Attack of the Clones is Very Boring.

booo

colosseum poo poo is my jam

also :drac:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wild Horses posted:

booo

colosseum poo poo is my jam

also :drac:

I forgot that we have a Count Dooku emote. Or Christopher Lee if you wanna be more accurate.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Where did I do that?

TFA isn't actually worthwhile, it only exists for the sake of the brand.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
In honor of Rogue One, we should all rewatch Ghost Dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAlBlavGaB8

I actually got a copy of the Ghost Dog rpg, somewhere in a box.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

In honor of Rogue One, we should all rewatch Ghost Dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAlBlavGaB8

I actually got a copy of the Ghost Dog rpg, somewhere in a box.

We should all rewatch Ghost Dog because it's Ghost Dog.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I just realized that they got Mon Mothma's actress from Episode III to return as Mon Mothma in Rogue One. Finally, as direct a callback to the prequels' existence as you can get.

I also just realized Mon Mothma's name is Mom Mom Mom.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

I said come in! posted:

Free Baron Bifford.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What does Rey want?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

That doesn't just mean that the new movies are done for the sake of marketing.

These productions include people who truly and sincerely want to make great and unforgettable stories. Unfortunately, this drive is employed on extending the Star Wars brand. They want to create more Star Wars, but when that's all you seek to do, yo won't accomplish that much. Just brand for brand's sake. That's the principle behind the Expanded Universe. Sure, there have been a lot of passionate people working at it, but it's still the Star Wars EU.

On the other hand, maybe TFA has brought something new to Star Wars and cinema in general. Nobody has yet discovered what it is, but I still believe.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 9, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Toilet Mouth posted:

What does Rey want?

A family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

What Bravestothelamps wrote is fully accurate. TFA is about what Star Wars is not.

You had Star Wars, and then you had a new trilogy that highlighted the dark side of Star Wars. TFA, on the other hand, is non-Star Wars. It's a movie about characters searching for the concept of 'Star Wars' and coming up empty - until R2 is unwittingly woken up at the very end of the film by a MacGuffin character that nobody paid attention to.

The point of TFA is that Star Wars will begin after this groundwork is out of the way.

• Locked thread