Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I want to put a setup like that on my VFR800

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Scum who gently caress with emergency services just make me so loving angry.

Their sole purpose is to help people, goddamn it. What's wrong with you!

Emergency crews should get the info from the ATV assholes via the police for later, then take their sweet time when someone from the group gets in a gnarly accident. "Sorry, we would've made it sooner but another group of assholes on ATVs blocked us instead of moving :shrug:"

Karma Monkey posted:

Same. Oddly, it seems like if I'm behind someone not going at green, it's always the car behind me (3rd car in line) that honks first but the 1st car always thinks it's me. Then I think about adding my honk, but usually don't. I just think, I'm glad he honked so I didn't have to. Thanks impatient fellow motorist for pulling the trigger I could not.:shobon:

Opposite here - it's like people forget their cars even have horns. I've been at a solid green light with 2 cars ahead of me, the guy in front of me won't honk to wake up the idiot at the front, so I end up honking to wake BOTH of them up. Bitch, green means GO, not sit on your rear end texting your friends or playing with your lovely, crusty hair and makeup in the rear view mirror

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Ozz81 posted:

Emergency crews should get the info from the ATV assholes via the police for later, then take their sweet time when someone from the group gets in a gnarly accident. "Sorry, we would've made it sooner but another group of assholes on ATVs blocked us instead of moving :shrug:"

I think they should treat them promptly and with care and yell at them the whole time

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Noise Complaint posted:

Cheap and easy solution to this is to get a GM 4 note horn setup from an early 90's Roadmaster or early 80's Cadiilacs in a junkyard. Those fuckers are LOUD. You need to make sure you get all 4 horns out of the car, but it's totally worth it.

I like these, they are pretty loud, and decently cheap: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000DINKPQ

I put one of these on both motorcycles, and its much louder than the lovely stock horn, plus it doesn't kill the stock fuse.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Thought I'd seen everything, being honked at for stopping at a red light.
Saw someone get honked at for stopping at a railroad crossing as the gates went down.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

nm posted:

Saw someone get honked at for stopping at a railroad crossing as the gates went down.

Bet they could have made it if they weren't a pussy and just used their NOS.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

nitrogen posted:

I like these, they are pretty loud, and decently cheap: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000DINKPQ

I put one of these on both motorcycles, and its much louder than the lovely stock horn, plus it doesn't kill the stock fuse.

I've got about a dozen high/low sets of these (someone recycled them where I work) and was considering mounting them to my car with a starter solenoid to trigger them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

nm posted:

I feel some sympathy for this. I was at a crossing on foot once, and the lights and bells started going. It look another 20 seconds for the train to actually come, but I did the "right" thing and stopped, so I got treated to a 20 minute wait in blowing snow even though I could've easily made it through the crossing before the train came.

I'm going to break the rules next time.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

wayfinder posted:

I just saw that the city has put up a little warning:

A bit of googling revealed that that wasn't the first time this sort of thing happened.

This reminded me about the awful light rail crossing in my area.

If you can't tell from the satellite view, you can make a right turn from City Hall onto Monticello. It looks like this on the ground:

Makes me a little nervous every time I take it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like the extra kink they put in it to route around the fountain looking thing.

"Oh drat, Billy got the survey a few inches off. Oh well let's just cram it in anyways."

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Ozz81 posted:

Opposite here - it's like people forget their cars even have horns. I've been at a solid green light with 2 cars ahead of me, the guy in front of me won't honk to wake up the idiot at the front, so I end up honking to wake BOTH of them up. Bitch, green means GO, not sit on your rear end texting your friends or playing with your lovely, crusty hair and makeup in the rear view mirror

Here in the cesspool known as NYC, among a constant stream of other retarded poo poo, you'll get these people that will do that at every light. Like pull up behind, light goes green, they get a courtesy second (in NY this is approx 43 millisec) and then you honk. Honking being illegal, of course. You can usually see them looking at their phone, and they will look up, then in the rear view, then start moving, then look back down at the phone. Then at the next light, the exact same thing will happen. And the next. Even though you're driving 30 sec and hitting fairly short lights every few streets, and it's obvious from the crosswalk countdown timers when the next green will be. People can not. loving. handle. sitting and paying attention for more than 5 seconds.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Always so much overlap with the schadenfreude thread:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I can't tell, are those Cali plates? Because if so the motorcyclist did nothing wrong (film looks sped up).

If anywhere else then gently caress him.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Geirskogul posted:

I can't tell, are those Cali plates? Because if so the motorcyclist did nothing wrong (film looks sped up).

No way; those are wide Euro plates of some kind. The pessimist in me wants to assume Russia, but who knows.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ah. I'm on mobile.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Geirskogul posted:

Ah. I'm on mobile.

The lights have turned to green : go!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ozz81 posted:

Bitch, green means GO, not sit on your rear end texting your friends or playing with your lovely, crusty hair and makeup in the rear view mirror

Where I am, there's a big problem with people who stop at the lights, take their car out of gear, put on the handbrake and then take their feet off the pedals and hands off the wheel. And then shove their heads up their arse.

Then they wait until the light is actually green before even starting to get moving again. So you can have even the longest green light but only two or three cars get to go through it.

Always either lovely old mum vans or brand new expensive sports cars.

I think it's a stop-start system in the sports cars, but that's still no excuse to just turn off your brain until half a dozen cars stuck behind you are all honking at you.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

It's not sped up, look at the seconds counter from the camera. That guy is going way too fast.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Geirskogul posted:

Just curious, if this had been in a lane splitting legal jurisdiction what would you suggest the car trying to get out do - park until both lanes are clear on the off chance that a motorcycle is going to come flying between both lanes? Seems to me if you're lane splitting the onus is on you to exercise an abundance of caution and be aware that people might be changing lanes or crossing the stopped traffic to go the other way.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I'm not certain, but I thought lane splitting was only legal on highways where you don't have the issue of cross traffic. I dislike the practice of filtering to be first at stop lights, just a rude tactic which I would not use.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How is it rude?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geoj posted:

Just curious, if this had been in a lane splitting legal jurisdiction what would you suggest the car trying to get out do - park until both lanes are clear on the off chance that a motorcycle is going to come flying between both lanes? Seems to me if you're lane splitting the onus is on you to exercise an abundance of caution and be aware that people might be changing lanes or crossing the stopped traffic to go the other way.
I think if splitting is legal, then you are carrying out a legal manoeuvre on the primary road, and someone coming out of a minor road like that may well legally be liable.

But as with so many situations, whether you're legally in the right or not doesn't change the fact thet you did something silly and it got you hurt/killed.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Professor Bling posted:

How is it rude?

Because you are cutting in line in front of the cars that have no choice but to sit still? I can admit that I doubt filtering has any noticeable positive or negative impact on traffic, but the 4-wheelers will still see it as the 2-wheelers cheating the system so I personally would not filter.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Because you are cutting in line in front of the cars that have no choice but to sit still? I can admit that I doubt filtering has any noticeable positive or negative impact on traffic, but the 4-wheelers will still see it as the 2-wheelers cheating the system so I personally would not filter.
If it's legal, gently caress them and their opinion on it. Just do it sensibly.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Crotch Fruit posted:

If the "system" is set up in a way that smaller vehicles have an advantage in city congestion, taking advantage isn't exactly cheating. If someone is stuck in traffic in their 4-wheeler getting mad that they can't go, maybe they should choose a more appropriate vehicle and help ease congestion.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it bugs most people because in grade school we were all taught to not cut in line. They never taught anyone that once you get into the real world that rule is stupid and makes no sense, and that feeling of right and wrong stays with people.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Crotch Fruit posted:

You're not cutting in line, you are bypassing the line and filling in the unused space around them. You are removing the car that could be placed in front of those people, thus freeing up available road space for the average car user. You aren't cheating the system, you are making the average car user's commute faster and helping alleviate congestion. Not to mention being safer for the motorcyclist. It is also better for the environment!

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Crotch Fruit posted:

You would prefer, then, that motorcycles take up all the space a car does, and people (like one of my best friends) continue to get liquefied by a car rear-ending them and smashing every bone south of the pelvis in between two cars? The only dangers inherent to filtering/splitting is a.) it's illegal in a lot of places and b.) sometimes people in cars get angry about it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

N is for Nipples posted:

You would prefer, then, that motorcycles take up all the space a car does, and people (like one of my best friends) continue to get liquefied by a car rear-ending them and smashing every bone south of the pelvis in between two cars? The only dangers inherent to filtering/splitting is a.) it's illegal in a lot of places and b.) sometimes people in cars get angry about it.

And b would eventually disappear once a changed.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Like a lot of driving maneuvers lanesplitting is perfectly safe and acceptable if you do it correctly and it's legal where you're at.

I don't think it's legal in Colorado so I do get mad at motorcyclists who do it, but a lot of our roads don't really have room for it. And I wouldn't want to do it around the worst part of I-25 that gets pretty windy. But that hasn't stopped people on crotchrockets from doing it before.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Protocol7 posted:

Like a lot of driving maneuvers lanesplitting is perfectly safe and acceptable if you do it correctly and it's legal where you're at.

I don't think it's legal in Colorado so I do get mad at motorcyclists who do it, but a lot of our roads don't really have room for it. And I wouldn't want to do it around the worst part of I-25 that gets pretty windy. But that hasn't stopped people on crotchrockets from doing it before.
There's a lot of poo poo people do that isn't legal. Lane spilling safely is in the realm of 60 in a 55.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

nm posted:

There's a lot of poo poo people do that isn't legal. Lane spilling safely is in the realm of 60 in a 55.

Oh, I don't disagree, it's the "safely" part that people seem to miss.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
It cracks me up that people get mad at bikes "cutting in line" in a traffic jam. It's nothing more than being envious of someone escaping the lovely traffic jam you're stuck in. But while some people see it as them "cheating" the system, I'm thinking about how I'm sitting comfortably in a climate controlled vehicle with airbags and a significantly lower chance of being made into road pate by some idiot not paying attention to anything around them or in some cases, too rage-filled to share the road with anyone else. I like when motorcycles get ahead of traffic because it gets them out of the way.
Godspeed lil lane splitters! :patriot:

(Having said that, that guy should have been going slower.)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Protocol7 posted:

Oh, I don't disagree, it's the "safely" part that people seem to miss.
Bikers lanesplitting unsafely seems like the kind of problem that solves itself.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
gently caress knows what the law is wherever that came from, but why is that car nosing out in the middle of a traffic jam like that? Either it's an intersection and everyone is just blocking the box, or it's a driveway or something and that was a very ill-advised maneuver.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
I think he was trying to turn left and cutting through a gap in the stopped traffic.

InitialDave posted:

I think if splitting is legal, then you are carrying out a legal manoeuvre on the primary road, and someone coming out of a minor road like that may well legally be liable.

I'll ask again - does that mean if you're in a car and crossing space that could potentially be occupied by a speeding lane-splitting motorcycle that you have to remain parked until traffic clears and the potential for a lane splitting motorcycle has passed?

nm posted:

This is true when it's done properly, but it seems the only videos of this you ever see are idiots flying through slow or stopped traffic, going way too fast to react to other cars making otherwise legal maneuvers.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
One thing that people don't think about re: lanesplitting is that it can be really really hot standing still in traffic on a highway, especially if you're wearing a jacket and a helmet and you've got an engine idling between your legs.

Have a little sympathy. It could probably be medically dangerous to sit out there for more than a few minutes. It doesn't make sense to do it just because some car dude is going to get jealous and irrationally angry that someone is moving while he isn't.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geoj posted:

I'll ask again - does that mean if you're in a car and crossing space that could potentially be occupied by a speeding lane-splitting motorcycle that you have to remain parked until traffic clears and the potential for a lane splitting motorcycle has passed?
I don't know. The closest parallel I have encountered was a friend pulling slowly out across a queue in similar circumstances (much slower than the car in that video), and someone making an extremely dodgy overtake of the stationary traffic clipped him, the result being it was his fault because he was coming onto the major road from a minor one.

Bear in mind I'm in a different country, and I expect this is very dependent on the specific wording of the law in any given area.

I think in that video, it's entirely the biker's responsibility for going too fast in that situation, but that doesn't mean they're the person at fault in the legal sense. The law is not always reasonable.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Have a little sympathy. It could probably be medically dangerous to sit out there for more than a few minutes.

If sitting in the sun in a jacket and helmet for more than a few minutes is life threatening you probably shouldn't be riding a motorcycle...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Geoj posted:

^
I think he was trying to turn left and cutting through a gap in the stopped traffic.

I think this is why I'd put the fault 50/50 in this case, depending on local laws and regulations of course. The car pulling through has the responsibility to do so safely. Driving through stopped traffic like that creates a hazard for filtering and splitting cyclists. On the other hand, the motorcyclist is going too fast for conditions and should have slowed before hand.

Geoj posted:

Like above, I think the car changing lanes needs to make sure it is safe to do so before making the change. If the motorcycle is going too fast, the fault lies with the cyclist as the car should have had enough time to complete the change safely or wait until the bike has passed. How fast is too fast? Good question.