Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Wow, she finally got you to do it, eh!?

You won't regret it man. Someone's gotta keep LPing forever. Thirtyeight thousand years from now, there will only be the grim dark future, and the Overlord of all LPers...

---

But seriously. God Bless!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euthy
Sep 26, 2007

May you and your family live without suffering, but for the rest... Thanks for not breeding VHEMT
Grimey Drawer
Congratulations Grey!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You acquired a baby and you sank a stores ship on the same day. You lucky man.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cythereal posted:

Yes, among others including the US. It's a popular trend in wealthy, industrialized countries investing in their navies to incorporate low-observability technology and design principles in their latest ships, has been for the past twenty years or so. However, there is a difference between low-observability designs and dedicated stealth ships like the Sea Shadow - the Sea Shadow was estimated to have a crew of about twelve, and was little more than a mobile missile launcher that was exceedingly difficult to detect.

One of the quirks to one of the main ways to achieve stealth is that size doesn't actually matter - the shape of the hull (or for aircraft, frame) does. IIRC, the Skunk Works book mentioned that for a laugh they briefly looked at proposing a stealth aircraft carrier, and that the hull in and of itself could be brought down to the size of a steel ball bearing on radar.

(A stealth aircraft carrier is an absolutely terrible idea for a huge number of reasons, but the principle behind that aspect of stealth design stands)

What about a stealth-sub with drone launch and retrieval capacity?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

My Imaginary GF posted:

What about a stealth-sub with drone launch and retrieval capacity?

I approve of any mad plan that involves modern I-400s. :science:

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

^^^ as long as it isn't the crazy Arpeggio ones. :eng99: ^^^

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

We hit the beaches at Milne bay.

We see wave after wave of planes coming in to attack our ships.

It only gets bloody when the Banshees arrive.

Then it does get bloody.

After days of trying, the Dutch finally get a bomb hit. drat them.

Batavia holds out for another day.

Our tanks drive deeper into Sumatra.

We're stalling out a little again – but hopefully we can get enough men ashore overnight at Milne to take the base.

Bloody Banshees.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

goatface posted:

You acquired a baby and you sank a stores ship on the same day. You lucky man.

Acquired makes it sound so easy. I've had four hours of sleep in the last three days now.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just ask your unit doctor for some stimulants.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Grey Hunter posted:

Acquired makes it sound so easy. I've had four hours of sleep in the last three days now.

And now you get to acquire the Grey part of your name in a literal sense :allears:

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
code:
Combat Modifiers
Grey Hunter: disruption(-),fatigue(-)
Baby Hunter: shock(+)

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Congratulations GH - you are going to have a lot of night-time combat reports coming up.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
I miss a day and this happens.

Congrats GH!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Congrats. Don't death-star your only child by mistake and you'll be a great dad!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

pthighs posted:

code:
Combat Modifiers

haha

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

pthighs posted:

code:
Combat Modifiers

Shouldn't the Baby Hunter also have leadership(+) and experience(-) ?

And I hope Grey have morale(+).

Congratulations Grey on the baby! It will be horrible at times, but it is very much worth it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

pthighs posted:

code:
Combat Modifiers

This made me laugh our loud and nearly wake the croctopod!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Dunno-Lars posted:

Shouldn't the Baby Hunter also have leadership(+) and experience(-) ?

And I hope Grey have morale(+).

Also forts reduced to 0.

Also

quote:

Congratulations Grey on the baby! It will be horrible almost all the time.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

TildeATH posted:

Congratulations Grey on the baby! It will be horrible almost all the time.

Until approximately age 3. Then again at age 13, or so I've heard.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Clunk! Mwah ha ha!

****Insert manic laughter here.****

We push another force north.

We also retake Nanyang.

Our ships at Milne Bay unload troops like crazy, getting as many ashore as possible before the Banshees arrive.

I will admit, I forgot the Banshees were here, we've not seen them for a while. This is a bloody day.

We need to rest up and break the forts here, but I think we can take the base.

Yeah, we lost a couple of ships today.

Yay!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
That's a lot of transports lost.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That's a lot of transports lost.

the troops can swim, right?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No. Swimming is bad luck.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

A dud is followed by a live fish. My ship losses seem to not be letting up.

The deck gun is enough.

We run into a large force near Naning. This is the greatest Chinese threat to the now peaceful south.

With balls of steal, the captain of the I-15 slams a torpedo into a destroyer. He takes some damage from the destroyers angry friends – I was so expecting this to miss I actually missed a good screenshot in surprise!

So of course, the captain obliges me and goes back to finish the job.

The I-175 tries to torpedo the cruiser Helena – it misses. The destroyers then hit her with a depth charge, forcing her to surface, at which point, two battleships and multiple destroyers open up on here – she is hit by AA guns and a 53mm, but it takes a long time to finish her. During that time, the Captain manages to get a hit in on the Idaho! I wish I'd videoed this. Apparently my Sub captains are on fire!

Fresh troops arrive at Batavia, but somehow the defenders continue to hold out!

We are able to cut Java in two however.

Well, that was a heroic day! Last stands and brave sub captains.

No sign of the battleship, but I wouldn't expect it with one torp – but we know two are on the move, and one will have had turned back.

There is still no sign of the American or British carriers.

Fresh troops for Singapore have arrived – now they just have to march up. Singapore itself has just got a load of fresh artillery to help soften it up.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Helena was a pretty neat ship. Kinda glad you didn't manage to kill her.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Grey Hunter posted:

The I-175 tries to torpedo the cruiser Helena – it misses. The destroyers then hit her with a depth charge, forcing her to surface, at which point, two battleships and multiple destroyers open up on here – she is hit by AA guns and a 53mm, but it takes a long time to finish her. During that time, the Captain manages to get a hit in on the Idaho! I wish I'd videoed this. Apparently my Sub captains are on fire!

A true samurai :japan:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Reminds me of the historical actions where Allied shis basically hurled themselves against surfaced subs to sink them. Except in those cases there were no battleships.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

steinrokkan posted:

Reminds me of the historical actions where Allied shis basically hurled themselves against surfaced subs to sink them. Except in those cases there were no battleships.

Wait, like some captains actually went "gently caress you sub and gently caress your torpedoes; all crew ramming speed motherfuckers! :sureboat: :sureboat:"?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yes. Surface warships take damage a hell of a lot better than subs, it's almost always a good trade.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Destroyers had hardened bows, I think, and ramming a sub is pretty much the best way to be sure about sinking it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Plek posted:

Destroyers had hardened bows, I think, and ramming a sub is pretty much the best way to be sure about sinking it.

Yup. More than a few submarines by various nations have been sunk since their invention by surface ships ramming them, intentionally or otherwise. Some of the latter never even realized they'd collided with a submarine.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cythereal posted:

Yup. More than a few submarines by various nations have been sunk since their invention by surface ships ramming them, intentionally or otherwise. Some of the latter never even realized they'd collided with a submarine.

This is one of the possible fates of the Surcouf, amazing ridiculous french submersible cruiser/professional bad idea.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Darn, there was a Japanese submarine which caused several ships to suffer critical structural damage simply be surfacing and presenting itself as a target to destroyers thinking they could easily sink it by ramming. It happened in the Indian Ocean, for some reason I can't find any references right now, but I'm sure I haven't hallucinated that incident.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i had that happen to me in silent hunter III :smith:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

ramming is a legitimate strategy!

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

ramming is a legitimate strategy!

Yes, yes it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFN9nvFYHmk

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
In one of my first runs through SH4, I discovered that clicking pretty much anywhere on the screen when in the command rooms blows your ballast. I came up under a destroyer. I went right back down again.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Night10194 posted:

This is one of the possible fates of the Surcouf, amazing ridiculous french submersible cruiser/professional bad idea.
Is the Surcouf modeled in this game? Has a player ever managed to do something cool with it, like maybe beat the Tone in a gun duel?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Submarines also took some pretty silly amounts of damage and still somehow didn't sink. In Hara's autobiography, he recorded an instance wherein he apparently saw a man smoking a stog on a surfaced submarine (which the diesels of WW2 had to do at night to recharge their batteries), and immediately swivelled his guns around. Two salvos, at least three hits, and that particular sub didn't sink. A thin-skinned pressured hulled vessel, took three hits from 5 inch guns and still somehow didn't sink :psyduck:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is the Surcouf modeled in this game? Has a player ever managed to do something cool with it, like maybe beat the Tone in a gun duel?

I believe it sank before Dec 7 1941, so unfortunately it isn't.