Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Having a newborn has been surprisingly good for my backlog, at least in terms of games that are short and / or can be easily paused. Got through This War of Mine, Reus, The Swapper, Endless Space, Grown Home, 400 Days, and some of Talos Principle and Mark of the Ninja. All of which were a lot of fun, and would be easy to recommend to someone who was interested.

The only thing I've played that I wouldn't recommend was Proteus, which was a walking simulator that was inferior to actually walking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Adam Bowen posted:

It's crazy how effective anita and her crew are at brainwashing some of you. Tell us more about how you wish death on totalbiscuit because of some mild criticism he made of feminist frequency

I can't believe you haven't been permabanned yet.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Games just wouldn't be the same without him.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Lurdiak posted:

You're the worst poster on the forums and you poo poo up every thread you post in with this nonsense, but they haven't banned you yet either so :iiam:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wasn't aware that I'm constantly posting about how lame Totalbiscuit is.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Adam Bowen posted:

Tell us more about how you wish death on totalbiscuit
-TB

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Okay, now I thoroughly regret taking the bait.

I'm playing the remastered version of The Day of The Tentacle and devs' commentary is really fun to listen to. What other games apart from remastered Monkey Islands have this? I also remember a Deus Ex LP made by some original developers as a promotion for new games and it was also insanely good.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I like biscuits, but if you don't totally bake them, they get all gooey in the center and gross.

Sopapillas are better anyway.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i like to eat half a biscuit but some people like the total biscuit

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

In game news that isn't some dumb fedora bullshit, somebody found another crowd-related cue in Mike Tyson's Punch-Out related to when you can one-shot Piston Honda and Bald Bull.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Paladinus posted:

I'm playing the remastered version of The Day of The Tentacle and devs' commentary is really fun to listen to. What other games apart from remastered Monkey Islands have this? I also remember a Deus Ex LP made by some original developers as a promotion for new games and it was also insanely good.
Mark of the Ninja has it, as do several Valve games.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

raditts posted:

In game news that isn't some dumb fedora bullshit, somebody found another crowd-related cue in Mike Tyson's Punch-Out related to when you can one-shot Piston Honda and Bald Bull.

It's nuts that people are still finding new things in this game.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Most of the games in the Orange Box do. There's a (probably incomplete) list of major publisher releases here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_commentary#List_of_video_games_with_audio_commentary

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
What in the gently caress is going on with the lady in this image from some Steam VR garbage game called Vanishing Realms?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Adam Bowen posted:

What in the gently caress is going on with the lady in this image from some Steam VR garbage game called Vanishing Realms?

I don't see anything wrong, it's a handsome portrait of a giraffe.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Paladinus posted:

Life Is Strange got dev commentary patched in but it was after I'd finished and deleted it so I don't know how interesting it is.
Umm, that free Half-Life 2 thing which is mostly them going on about how fancy HDR is?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The conker's bad fur day devs had a partial LP commentary.

Oh, and Double Fine has a bunch of videos of devs commenting on their games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kILeyo1iv0A

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

McSpanky posted:

Most of the games in the Orange Box do. There's a (probably incomplete) list of major publisher releases here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_commentary#List_of_video_games_with_audio_commentary

Nice. I didn't even think there could be a wiki page specifically for that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

raditts posted:

This is awesome

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

oh my god all of you shut the gently caress up

thank you

Paladinus posted:

Jolly Rover and Sly Cooper 1 both had dev commentary. The dev commentary in sly cooper was cool but you had to unlock it by finishing the time trials for each level, so the commentary would only ever be about whatever level the time trials were available for. Jolly Rover's dev commentary is unlocked once you've beaten the game once and it was pretty interesting to listen to imo since it went into a lot of the development process as well as featuring voice casting call stuff

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The commentary for Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut is cool because at one point the art director makes a Zoolander reference while you're looking at a scale model of a building in the game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Paladinus posted:

Nice. I didn't even think there could be a wiki page specifically for that.

If there is any recurring concept imaginable, especially in media, you bet your rear end there will be a Wikipedia list for it.

e.g.:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ninja_video_games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_based_on_cartoons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_notable_for_negative_reception

Here are some fun non game-related ones:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sexually_active_popes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_Vice_Presidents_of_the_United_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States_with_facial_hair

My personal favorite:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animals_with_fraudulent_diplomas

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Life Is Strange got dev commentary patched in but it was after I'd finished and deleted it so I don't know how interesting it is.
Umm, that free Half-Life 2 thing which is mostly them going on about how fancy HDR is?

Heh, the Lost Coast commentary is where I decided I hated HDR and have turned it off in every game since.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:agreed:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4-EnCc-JKk

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

LawfulWaffle posted:

Enter the Gungeon is a fun game and both the criticisms leveled at it in this thread recently are, I can't think of the word, stupid? It's like a different game and it references a boss from a different game. The boss one is double pathetic because the game is chock-full of gun puns and the boss being referenced is iconic and fits nicely into the motif. There's also a boss based on a Beholder (god, such an old idea used in other games how unoriginal) and a Gorgon (same), so I guess it's good that person didn't bother to experience the game. Its fine not to spend money on something you don't like, but those are two pretty flimsy negs.

e: Here's a good criticism: It relies on luck a little too much, and not getting enough keys can really hamper your ability to beat the first few levels.

It's a good game, and I don't even mind the luck part.

My chief complaint is that the camera is really annoying in a weird way. It's like they try to do some sort of look-ahead, but it's poorly implemented. I dunno. It'll probably get fixed eventually, or I'll get used to it. Either way, really cool game. Local co-op is really fun, if not a little buggy.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Maybe not a proper commentary but Volition's youtube channel has a bunch of videos of them playing old/debug builds of their games, unreleased PSP prototypes, etc. and doing running commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3JN-ky-V6s

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Guy Mann posted:

Maybe not a proper commentary but Volition's youtube channel has a bunch of videos of them playing old/debug builds of their games, unreleased PSP prototypes, etc. and doing running commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3JN-ky-V6s

SA's own Chip Cheezum is involved in those, I believe.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR37cPR_1_4

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

What.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Paladinus posted:

Pretty much all the Wadjet Eye adventure games do. Gone Home's got a good one as well.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it took me until now to finally bother to start Revengeance and played for like 6 hours, jesus christ this is great. can't wait for the platinum TMNT now.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Instead of letting the player choose what sex/race/appearance is, a player's appearance is determined by their steam id in Rust. While its kind of a dumb thing to do, it does cause some hilarious reactions when a player is forced to play as a female and or minority character.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The remastered Grim Fandango has commentary, which is mostly fun and interesting but sometimes slips into "My gosh, everyone involved in this game was the best person ever"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Instead of letting the player choose what sex/race/appearance is, a player's appearance is determined by their steam id in Rust. While its kind of a dumb thing to do, it does cause some hilarious reactions when a player is forced to play as a female and or minority character.

Isn't that old news?

MinibarMatchman posted:

it took me until now to finally bother to start Revengeance and played for like 6 hours, jesus christ this is great. can't wait for the platinum TMNT now.

You can play their Transformers game in the meantime once you exhaust revengeance. :c00l:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Never ever wait to play Revengence. It's the best metal gear game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Only thing I could knock about Transformers is it doesn't use the old theme. It does have kick rear end music though.

Also Prime dishing out one liners was great.

I forgot how he said it but after beating the poo poo out of Starscream, he just goes yeah you are pretty much useless like Megatron said.

• Locked thread