Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, since it seems to be "talk about turn signals" time, here's the current state of the ones I'm working on.

Long story short: I don't like the stock DOT chunky blocks, and I want something smaller and cleaner, but I also want the signals to fit my Hawk's existing airfoil-shaped mounts. No products like this exist. This is iteration 4 of my custom solution. Finished the test fit earlier tonight, and the final versions are coming off the 3D printer tomorrow morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wow that looks really awesome. Top notch design. If I had something to put them on, I'd be all over them. I like the side output from the bulb going through the clear bit. Visual from above as well as behind.

N is for Nipples, you are a monster. That is all.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
is that a signal light or a new gillette

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

N is for Nipples, you are a monster. That is all.
(not my photo)

I really do like the look of 'em, and it's a decent solution to my high-mount problem. I'll also probably be one of the first people in history ever to re-install their stock rear fender. However, this unit came without the stock connectors for the lamps, my bike has had some electrical fuckery done by PO(s), and I've never hosed with wiring before, so hooking it up may be challenging.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 10, 2016

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

N is for Nipples posted:

Oh, no, I have something much worse in store for that poor bike. :getin:

I'll go against the thread's grain and say :perfect:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Put a PR4 on the front today! Pretty stoked to be using these tires.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Today I added to the long list of farkles I swore I'd never buy, and installed a RAM cell phone mount. It's fifty shades of awesome.

M42 posted:

What is it like in the future? Have they solved the energy crisis yet?

Some day I'll own a bike they make PR4 for, and it will be so great. :(

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Rinsed the pollen and resin off and took it for an AIR DRY.

Hands thought I was riding the DRZ in a turn and immediately went into a wheelie when I ripped on it.

Scared the poo poo balls out of me and I did a weird stunter split wheelie wher emy legs flared out in the air on both sides and then plopped back down to earth and mashed my nutsack on the tank

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

M42 posted:

Did you happen to come from pr3's? Interested in the difference.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Razzled posted:

Hands thought I was riding the DRZ in a turn and immediately went into a wheelie when I ripped on it.

Scared the poo poo balls out of me and I did a weird stunter split wheelie wher emy legs flared out in the air on both sides and then plopped back down to earth and mashed my nutsack on the tank

Sounds like the Tuono :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

N is for Nipples posted:

(not my photo)

I really do like the look of 'em, and it's a decent solution to my high-mount problem. I'll also probably be one of the first people in history ever to re-install their stock rear fender.

This is amazing

I've also left the fender on the back of my SV, and I'm also in the "it's really not too bad looking" boat, which is a boat I was sure I was alone in until this post.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Razzled posted:

Supermotos are the gift that keeps on giving. Their AOE extends beyond their own existence.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I've also left the fender on the back of my SV, and I'm also in the "it's really not too bad looking" boat, which is a boat I was sure I was alone in until this post.

This is a sin. You are both sinners.

I left the fender on my EX250 after doing the integrated turn signals, but I do it because that fender is functional, not hanging out the back, AND I DON'T MAKE LIES ABOUT HOW IT LOOKS.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don't usually take exception with oem fenders unless they're really bad, like Drz-sm bad, with the big clunky light

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Mcqueen posted:

Nope, from DR2s.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Bought the junky thing. The frame, tank, forks, swingarm, wheels, and engine are totally unmarred. The entire rest of the bike is beat to poo poo though.
Gonna be a long slog getting it back together and cleaned up', but should be nice once done, and can't complain much since I got it for $500 with a clean title.

Gotta agree with everyone who complains about the mushy stock SV suspension, holy crap does it feel like the forks are using marshmellows instead of springs to hold it up. Emulators and racetech springs are going to be a must have.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is amazing

Got a source for cheap fenders? The lovely tiny turn signals on the rear hardly peek around the license plate (and are smashed up regardless), I'm definitely interested in getting a stock SV fender and lights setup to return it to functionality. :haw:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Mmm, you bastard. That's exactly what I'm looking for right now.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Mcqueen posted:

I did, and I liked the PR3 better. The PR4s feel very sensitive to the road surface, the slightest rutting and they would want to dance all over the road. Also in turns they are not very predictable. At first they want to tip into corners, but once you start to lean they want to go upright again. Slightly higher pressure than normal helps a bit though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HotCanadianChick posted:

Got a source for cheap fenders? The lovely tiny turn signals on the rear hardly peek around the license plate (and are smashed up regardless), I'm definitely interested in getting a stock SV fender and lights setup to return it to functionality. :haw:

Mine came with the stocker, so I've never looked, but I have to imagine you could get one cheap on eBay, or even for shipping on svrider.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

makka-setan posted:

I did, and I liked the PR3 better. The PR4s feel very sensitive to the road surface, the slightest rutting and they would want to dance all over the road. Also in turns they are not very predictable. At first they want to tip into corners, but once you start to lean they want to go upright again. Slightly higher pressure than normal helps a bit though.

Finally someone knows what I mean. I keep getting told they're basically identical but they loving aren't and the PR3's feel more nimble somehow.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Final maintenance item on the drz. steering head bearings getting repacked. they were waterlogged from the recent rain too.
I've officially spun every bolt on this bastard.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cursedshitbox posted:

Final maintenance item on the drz. steering head bearings getting repacked. they were waterlogged from the recent rain too.
I've officially spun every bolt on this bastard.

So now that you're going to sell it, with what will you start anew?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

So now that you're going to sell it, with what will you start anew?

no hell no. this thing has to last through college. that said it might be time to go to 470 or 485cc...

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Got sick and fuggin tired of my mid-range leanout. Decided to rip out the carbs and give the jets a good soak.

They were gunked to hell and gone, of course. I also discovered that what must be the FACTORY AIR FILTER was still in this drat thing; there's a hole in the primary element about an inch across, and it had coated the primary airbox in disintegrated, greasy air filter element gunk. Decided to go ahead and rip the airbox out as well and let it soak in the sink with dish soap while I filled out an Amazon order for a K&N and a PSL14610.

poo poo's clean now, yo. Took it for a quick ride up and down the road and the mid-range issue seems to be completely absent now, cruises at 4k-8k just fine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Took the wheels off and cleaned it for the first time in over a year.

Something I've been wondering: is there some superior method of chain lubing out there that I'm unaware of or is spraying wildly and wiping off the excess lube that goes everywhere the only way?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Took the wheels off and cleaned it for the first time in over a year.

Something I've been wondering: is there some superior method of chain lubing out there that I'm unaware of or is spraying wildly and wiping off the excess lube that goes everywhere the only way?

http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews/accessories/grease-ninja.php

Personally I'm with you, I just spray the chain with what I've got (Dupont ChainSaver) until it starts dripping. Get thee a bucket.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Put the bike on its center stand or a track stand. Start the bike, soak a rag in chain lube and grab the chain with it, and put the bike in gear.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Spray while holding a rag around/under the chain so that overspray/excess goes into it and nowhere else. I also wipe the chain down afterwards with the drip rag. Haven't had any issues with mess after I started doing that.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Put the bike on its center stand or a track stand. Start the bike, soak a rag in chain lube and grab the chain with it, and put the bike in gear.

Dude, where's my finger?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

An old oven mitt works well too. Duck tape it to your wrist so it doesn't get pulled off your hand though.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I almost feel a twinge of guilt for this. But in my heart, I know this is what I want.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Pfft, you don't even have clubmans on it, please

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Oops posted in the wrong thread. I did nothing to my bike because it needs a new battery :\

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

N is for Nipples posted:

I almost feel a twinge of guilt for this. But in my heart, I know this is what I want.

You are now doubly terrible.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Dude, where's my finger?

Truth. I turned my fingernail black just by getting it pinched between a single sprocket tooth and the chain while slowly turning the wheel by hand. Under power, your finger is gone, no question.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I learned that one on a bicycle when I pierced the web between my thumb and finger.
Also, holy poo poo at the pictures when you search that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I learned that one on a bicycle when I pierced the web between my thumb and finger.
Also, holy poo poo at the pictures when you search that.

Why on earth would you search something like that my god

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

M42 posted:

Pfft, you don't even have clubmans on it, please

Slavvy posted:

You are now doubly terrible.
I've got very specific, very terrible plans for this bike. It's gonna look good, I swear.

To me at least.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

N is for Nipples posted:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

"Yeah, I bust 3, 4, sometimes up to 6 headlights a week. This tape keeps my cleanup time down to minutes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

Why on earth would you search something like that my god

Fodder for making a really good case to someone else for why you never do that.