Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Starshark posted:

Hey guys, what voice do you have in your head when you read LC posts?

AMU's, obv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

LibertyCat posted:

As fun as this is I have stuff to do atm. See you tomorrow thread.

*LolololololCat sticks fingers in ears at first sign he's not intelligent as he thought*

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

LibertyCat posted:

As fun as this is I have stuff to do atm. See you tomorrow thread.

time to interact with my hot wife at the gym which is also a club, later losers

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Starshark posted:

My own :(

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I think the progress towards class warfare is actually closer than we thought. Turdbull keeps asking business to be agile so they can dodge the incoming rounds. It all makes sense now!

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Starshark posted:

An extremely thick and nasal nerd accent

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Starshark posted:

Tony Martin does a great impression of a particular kind of drug addicts voice, a kind of weaselly nasal whining dumb fucker. I imagine all Young Liberal IPA libertarian types to talk that way though.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I'm glad we agree on that point LibertyCat because I think that the below disagreement comes from a similar place.

LibertyCat posted:

This is a good example of the fundamental difference between our viewpoints. They took a risk. It went well for some, not others. It's no-ones fault that mining is no longer bringing in the big bucks. Life has risks.

Who took a risk though? The people who took on HELP debt and 4 years on an engineering degree, or the government who lent out that HELP debt and enabled a citizen to opt out of the workforce for 4 years?

Mining engineers were desired, and so wages were raised to encourage people to study in the field. The desired outcome was to produce more mining engineers. All those people who took on those degrees were doing exactly what the economy/government/mining companies wanted them to do. If every single party involved wants the outcome, why is the risk placed on the individual? The companies don't lose out because they didn't spend any money or time training those engineers. The universities don't lose out because they got paid regardless. The government might lose out if the person does not earn enough to trigger repayments, but they're now trying to get out of that risk. Why does the buck stop at the person who has the degree, and not the industry that encouraged that degree, or the universities that provided the degree, or the government that enabled the degree?

If you want something you need to put in the work to get it, right? I agree with this completely. The fundamental difference in our viewpoints is not that responsibility is a bad thing or you should be entirely free from risks, but that ALL parties need to take responsibility and shoulder their share of the risks. If we as a society want a highly educated workforce then we need to put in the work and shoulder the risks inherent with having people take off several years to undertake that education. If we want a supply of the unemployed so business can more easily fill new positions then we need to support the unemployed. Etc. If we want things we need to actually do the stuff necessary to support those things. In this case the government took on the risk that HELP recipients will never be able to pay it back, and they need to own that, not look for ways to weasel out of their portion of the risk.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

LibertyCat posted:

If the policy encourages more people to enter the workforce - isn't that a success?
By that same reasoning, you would support the application of rape and torture to people on unemployment benefits to get them off welfare.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

LibertyCat posted:

In turn, how many of you are on Centrelink?

I am since 2012 when I was made redundant and then shortly after got leukemia. FWIW, I had a shitload of transfusions that saved my life and I think your idea is horrendous garbage.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Engineer or IT worker?

:colbert: Don't lump me in with LibertyCat! #notallengineers/itworkers ... well to be fair, there is usually a vocal minority making the rest of us look bad.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
what's that, a month before they asked who was on welfare

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
a helpful tip for all future welfare haters: nigh on everyone has some form of welfare

if you hate that fact you definitely do

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The richer you are the bigger the benefits you get from the government in terms of actual dollars between negative gearing, CGT discount, private medical discount and reduced super taxation. Someone on centrelink getting 15k a year is a drop in the ocean compared to the massive massive benefits the rich draw from. Especially when you consider a lot of income is drawn from shares from big companies which are also propped up by massive government subsidies (diesel fuel rebate etc. etc. etc.) despite being hugely profitable. Most of that profit is then offshored screwing Australians out of even more money by tax avoidance. The rich take far far more from the system than the poor ever could.

Hey Libertycat, based on our discussions and interactions what would you guess my field of study, earning power and employment status are?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Genderblob Ponynomics/None/None

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Skellybones posted:

:rip:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Skellybones posted:

i resent that, i can get maybe 10k a year

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

AgentF posted:

An update on this. I've read correspondence betweeen the union and the employer and it looks like they are right on the case, specifically mentioning the fiance's mum as well as two other employees who are in the same situation, and insisting that they be instated as permanent. The language is very firm and legalese and indicates to me that they know what they're doing, which makes me happy. Fiance's mum looked through her work e-mails and hasn't found any that discuss permanency at all, as I suspected the promises of permanency were only ever made verbally. She is certain these conversations happened and is willing to sign a stat dec to this effect. She's surrounded by very supportive workmates and has a good case, so hopefully she will come out of this with her job, but either way I am happy that as much as possible is being done.

I appreciate you answering my posts and chasing up on them, they've been some good support, so as a thank you I will donate $50 to any organisation of your choice.

Glad to hear it, it sounds good.

The last thing I can think of is have the union or union rep or union lawyer spoken face to face or on the phone with your mum? It helps reassure people and be a comfort if they can put a face to a name doing the things.

Thanks for the thought with the money, please donate it to Medecins Sans Frontieres

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
LibertyCat should factor in that young adults are extremely easy to convince that they're making the right decision. Despite all warning in the media; HECS scam colleges still get students. Why? Because no matter how much logic you apply to a particular situation, Timmy Teenager still is curious enough to be convinced that pursuing a degree in Gaming or Animation or Fine Arts is a good idea but fields such as these only pay off for an extremely small amount of people who'd need the disposable income to gently caress off to America and do further study at CalArts or something.

For the Majority of people they take up their hobby, realize there's no work, waste 4-8 years figuring it out and then heading back into the system to take up Nursing or Business, giving themselves more debt. The current education system absolutely will crush your dreams but it's designed so that it doesn't exactly warn you and makes it easy for education cabals to set up colleges with the sole purpose of convincing students that the job market isn't as brutal as it is.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Negative gearing alone was like $14 billion last year.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Ok LibertyCat, this is a serious question: what are you even doing here? I'd like an honest answer, it's an honest question. I can't imagine why someone like you would even bother with dregs like us, so there has to be a reason you're posting at all. Is there some badge you have to earn, or is it a project you have to do - if it's something like that, we could help you, just tell us what's required, and we can spit out whatever answers you need and job done. Cos otherwise, this is just going to drag on and I don't see what you get out of it. Are you working for a politician who needs some grabs for the election? Maybe we can help, Anidav's done some stuff in that regard, we've got experience.

Or is it something more serious? Is your life a real bummer and you just want a laugh? How is that possible anyway, you think we're all loser welfare cheats? How could we be better company than the awesome people you live with day to day? Oh poo poo, are you going through a breakup? No I can't see that happening. Do you not have friends to talk about this stuff with? Just put us out of our misery and tell us, it's gotta be something more interesting than these "talking points".

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 9, 2016

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Starshark posted:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Starshark posted:

A dial tone

If y'all don't adopt "PissCat" I'm going to need a new user name :(

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

A dial tone

If y'all don't adopt "PissCat" I'm going to need a new user name :(

Lizardy Combatant

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/haydencooper/status/718748741902012418

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

LOL what way to find out I'm blocked from Cliev's twitter. I must have forgotten that.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

BCR posted:

Thanks for the thought with the money, please donate it to Medecins Sans Frontieres

Done :)

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Hey, my old high school made the news.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/apr/8/cyber-bullying-earns-suspensions-more-50-students-/

quote:

An Australian high school suspended more than 50 students Thursday for being involved in social media posts the principal described as abusive to other students.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Just found out that my research centre is closing due to lack of Government funding. We spend 6 billion a year on general practice services a year. If you include the meds prescribed, tests ordered and referrals made - that number is multiple times larger.

The fact that they don't want to know how that money is being spent both angers and saddens me. (That and also being out of a job in a couple of months with 20 other dedicated researchers)

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Four people have been evicted from the Western derby AFL match in Perth after displaying an anti-Muslim banner during Saturday night's game at Subiaco Oval.

The spectators unfurled the "stop the mosques" banner and displayed it for a short time, before they were removed from the ground and handed over to police.

A spokesman for the WA Football Commission confirmed the incident and said moves were underway to have the offenders banned from the ground.

Last week, AFL boss Gillon McLachlan said he would not tolerate the game being used to vilify sections of the community after an anti-Muslim banner was unfurled during the Friday night match between Richmond and Collingwood at the MCG.

After that incident a number of players, including West Coast's Nic Naitanui took to Twitter to condemned the banner.

Following the latest incident, AFL spokesman Patrick Keane reiterated the league's stance in a tweet saying the anti-Islamic views did not in any way represent the game in any way.

The United Patriots Front used Facebook to confirm the group's involvement.

A spokesman said in a video post the group's members were "mobbed" by spectators and one was arrested after trying to stop another person taking the banner out of his hands.

He said the member was hand-cuffed, but later issued a move-on notice and released.

The banner was confiscated.

Mosque banners at football seems to be a fascist meme.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Anidav posted:

Four people have been evicted from the Western derby AFL match in Perth after displaying an anti-Muslim banner during Saturday night's game at Subiaco Oval.

The spectators unfurled the "stop the mosques" banner and displayed it for a short time, before they were removed from the ground and handed over to police.

A spokesman for the WA Football Commission confirmed the incident and said moves were underway to have the offenders banned from the ground.

Last week, AFL boss Gillon McLachlan said he would not tolerate the game being used to vilify sections of the community after an anti-Muslim banner was unfurled during the Friday night match between Richmond and Collingwood at the MCG.

After that incident a number of players, including West Coast's Nic Naitanui took to Twitter to condemned the banner.

Following the latest incident, AFL spokesman Patrick Keane reiterated the league's stance in a tweet saying the anti-Islamic views did not in any way represent the game in any way.

The United Patriots Front used Facebook to confirm the group's involvement.

A spokesman said in a video post the group's members were "mobbed" by spectators and one was arrested after trying to stop another person taking the banner out of his hands.

He said the member was hand-cuffed, but later issued a move-on notice and released.

The banner was confiscated.

Mosque banners at football seems to be a fascist meme.

:qq:Muh free speech:qq:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Isn't the Party for Freedom picketing some thing today in Sydney? For reference, these are the guys who got their poo poo taken (also a guy got hit with a pole) last week in Melbourne and THEN posted a victory video about it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
This is going to end well

quote:

It speaks volumes about the challenges facing the coal industry when most of the established players seek to exit while the value of their assets are depressed.

Prices for thermal and coking coal have been falling for five years, and by the end of 2015 about 65 per cent of the world's coal mines were loss-making.

With debt challenges and climate-conscious shareholders pushing them to reduce their fossil fuel exposure, the big corporate miners decided to bite the bullet; Anglo American, Rio Tinto, Peabody Energy and Brazilian miner Vale moved to liquidate their Australian coal portfolios.

Seven coal mines have been sold across New South Wales and Queensland within the past nine months, with this week's sale of Anglo's Foxleigh mine to Taurus Funds Management the latest and arguably the most curious.

But Sydney-based Taurus, better known as a lender to high-risk miners unable raise funds elsewhere, has not been the only buyer from left-field.

The Salim Group, an Indonesian conglomerate that controls the world's biggest noodle manufacturer, agreed to buy Rio Tinto's Mt Pleasant deposit under the moniker "Mach Energy" in January.

Clean coal aspirant Exergen agreed to buy Peabody's Wilkie Creek mine for song, while a consortium calling themselves "Batchfire Resources" registered a company in July 2015 and by January had agreed to buy Anglo American's Callide mine in Queensland.

While all seven mines were sold cheaply, ASX micro-cap Stanmore Coal got the deal of a lifetime late last year when it bought Vale's Isaac Plains mine for the princely sum of $1.

"It just goes to show that as hard as you might think it is to sell a coal mine right now, you can still sell a coal mine. There are buyers out there for coal irrespective of how bad you think the sentiment may be," says Shaw and Partners analyst Peter O'Connor.

Many of the transactions have been typified by a lack of transparency; two of the transactions were agreed for undisclosed sums, Taurus refused to name its partners in the Foxleigh purchase, while Batchfire has declined to speak publicly about its plans.

"When things start selling for undisclosed sums you know they are not fetching much," quips one industry insider.

The exception to the trend was Rio's Bengalla mine, which sold for $865 million in September 2015 to New Hope; an established miner with a billion dollar market capitalisation.

Of the seven mines "sold" over the past nine months, only the Bengalla and Isaac Plains transactions have reached settlement.

The other five are still subject to conditions and funds being raised, and at least one of them (Exergen's purchase of Wilkie Creek) looks increasingly unlikely to reach settlement.
http://www.theage.com.au/business/energy/old-challenges-for-the-new-face-of-australian-coal-20160406-gnzpdp.html

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

EDIT: Wrong thread.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 10, 2016

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The thing about libertarian arguments about markets and "risks" is that it ignores all the real-world fallout of what goes on in the meantime.

Even if we accepted unquestioningly that nurses could easily earn what they're worth if they just choked back the supply for a while, and could coordinate that somehow, there would be consequences for people's health in the meantime. And the nurses would still have to earn a living somehow else in the meantime. People have to actually live their lives while all these risks and rational assessments are going on.

If you want to treat the world like a drat video game where you can just minmax your way through everything, you need to at least account for the fact that it's got permadeath, and you can't just go "lol reroll" after making the wrong choices. If we want to have a human society where people can highly specialize instead of everyone having to be subsistence farmers, we need to have systems in place to keep our specialists alive even when they are not of immediate use.

The reason libertarians or conservatives in general want people to choose profitable degrees instead of underwater basket cliche weaving isn't even because they want a better world or better society. They just want to keep their own bill down as much as possible, and cant look past that one myopic aspect of the world. They don't care what would happen if everyone did successfully predict the next boom and studied that, only to leave us with vast skill shortages elsewhere while their oversupply screws these graduates out of higher pay. They just assume they'll be fine, so why worry if overall society could be better. Just tell everyone else to work harder and figure it out themselves somehow, so they don't have to ever be bothered with worrying about it or paying a cent in taxes.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Btw now that I'm all caught up, I gotta say this post was loving fantastic.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

'Family violence leave' seems like a really weird thing to request. People should be able to take leave when they're having trouble at home, but a special category for family violence is bizarre. Aside from appearing to normalise family violence, as if it's just like having to look after a sick kid or something, would anyone who is a victim of family violence be willing to use it? Isn't one of the main reason's it's so prevalent that people are unwilling to report it?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I pushed for family violence leave to be in our EBA because it's better to have it and not need it, etc :smith:

It's a fact of life that there's going to be people in toxic relationships and if they have access to that sort of leave, they can take the time necessary to sort out their life

that just seems a really weird loving hill to fight on, as though they needed to attack the ABC on SOMETHING, so might as well do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Yeah my first impulse was that family violence leave is the silliest niche thing I've heard of. But then if it's really silly to have it in the contract then it's not going to be used so it doesn't matter how silly it is. And if it is ever used then it's not really that silly.

• Locked thread