Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Godholio posted:

Broken pieces can sometimes be salvaged. Model glue chemically melts the plastic (which is why gobbing it on doesn't make things better, it makes things worse). You can also soak the frames the pieces came on in acetone (it takes a long time, like a few days) and they'll soften up to the point that you can use it like putty. It takes a few days to dry out too.

Back when I was painting glittery pink Chaos Space Marines, when my skills improved and I realized my fleet looked blobby and lovely, I let them soak overnight in Simple Green to get the paint off so I could start over.

When I remembered them three days later, most had lost any facial features, detailing, and thin pieces.

They became servants of Nurgle after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Godholio posted:

Broken pieces can sometimes be salvaged. Model glue chemically melts the plastic (which is why gobbing it on doesn't make things better, it makes things worse). You can also soak the frames the pieces came on in acetone (it takes a long time, like a few days) and they'll soften up to the point that you can use it like putty. It takes a few days to dry out too.

nah, it was a piece of the canopy that separated the pieces of glass on the crusader. The piece was completely gone, and I reallllly didn't feel like fabricating a new piece for it. I wasn't very invested in it anyhow, I had gotten as far as respraying the fuselage a few colors to find one I thought I'd like, and thats about it.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

She used to be on christinamodel.com, but the site went down a long time ago.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Cheap sunglasses DO provide UV protection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG7aBul033I

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I like the "Flying Fisherman" brand on Amazon. UVA/B protection and polarized. Not the most stylish glasses, but they're :10bux: and they do the job.

lol not saying I'm fashion savvy but not trying to look like a cyclist everywhere I go

Yeah UV protection is the big concern I understand knock-offs are only worse for your retinas. I know some do provide protection I was just wondering if there was a somewhat reputable site for that. Chinese knock-off glasses websites are overwhelmingly plentiful

Guess I'll shell out $ for some more polarized frogskins

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 10, 2016

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

lol not saying I'm fashion savvy but not trying to look like a cyclist everywhere I go

Yeah UV protection is the big concern I understand knock-offs are only worse for your retinas. I know some do provide protection I was just wondering if there was a somewhat reputable site for that. Chinese knock-off glasses websites are overwhelmingly plentiful

Guess I'll shell out $ for some more polarized frogskins

cops eternally dress like they graduated from bootcamp 2 weeks prior.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

finished tthe batmobile, it was a pretty lovely kit all told, but it's finished. Lots of really thin pinstrip decals that were a nightmare.

Finishing up an F-86-F-10. Used a buffing aluminum metallizer, looks pretty neat to have a bare aluminum finish on what was originally grey plastic. It shows off imperfections, which can, I guess, be mitigated with lots of prep work and poo poo, but gently caress that. From arms length away it looks pretty good. Mainly just wanted to bash together a kit and try the aluminum thing.

Next up is an A7. I was working on an F8 (sorry I had those backwards earlier in the week) but I tossed it when I realized some parts were broken. I buy kits from junk stores and the like. I try to inventory them if they're unsealed, but sometimes you miss things :(

Want to get a MiG-15bis to go with the Sabre as well. I am digging the 1/72 scale aircraft more than 1/48 just because gently caress me I don't like the hyper detail on some of those kits. I can live without a tiny realistically modeled throttle stick :)

Other kits that I have, but am waiting on some improvement on my skills is the Ecto 1A from Ghostbusters 2, NCC-1701 Refit, and a Klingon Battlecruiser

Saw a '89 batmobile somewhere for sale which is also very tempting

post pics of your cool models :kiddo:

this is what im currently messing around with

buncha 28mm norman cavalry for saga, and some day i might just have em painted :allears:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

nah, it was a piece of the canopy that separated the pieces of glass on the crusader. The piece was completely gone, and I reallllly didn't feel like fabricating a new piece for it. I wasn't very invested in it anyhow, I had gotten as far as respraying the fuselage a few colors to find one I thought I'd like, and thats about it.

poo poo, that's when you turn it into some kind of "ejection gone wrong" diorama.

Edit: drat, I've still got a stack of model kits from like 90s in a closet and you fuckers are gonna make me start going through them. I've got a decent airbrush somewhere too.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

post pics of your cool models :kiddo:

this is what im currently messing around with

buncha 28mm norman cavalry for saga, and some day i might just have em painted :allears:

After the Sabre's finished I will. I'm probably done with it for the day. Just have to glue the airbrake and landing gear doors on it, then its decal time. I really hate dealing with decals but they look so nice when done decently.

I have some battletech minis that I painted I can throw in the picture too

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I think the last time I built models was almost 20 years ago; a semi detailed Abrams and a Bradley.

I think my parents still have my unfinished Eagle and Tomcat in their basement.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mad Dragon posted:

She used to be on christinamodel.com, but the site went down a long time ago.

jesus christ

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I have always sucked at models. Glue and paint never works out for me

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
It's because you're supposed to huff it.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Rough Lobster posted:

It's because you're supposed to huff it.

I did, drat it

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I'm really considering setting up a small railroad layout.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Syrian Lannister posted:

My dad does this every Christmas. It's one of his great joys. He's got a full town that goes all along the way and he has different locomotives for it ranging from polar express to old West trains to Santa and his sleigh. My nephews spend hours watching it and playing with it

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
yo I accidentally got some model glue in my mouth yesterday, I couldn't taste anything but my flesh melting and cancer forming for about 45 minutes afterwards.

Anyhow, wife is out of town, as you all know I have no friends and am a lonely shut in, so its gonna be a bit rough for me the next few days. Don't mind if I get super baked and review all the records I bought (i'll bump my vet music thread so you can avoid it)

retail therapy hurray! If anyone wants codes for the downloads of Built to Spill - Keep it like a secret, or the new jeff lynne album let me know :cool:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Sums up my model experience

bengy81
May 8, 2010

yo I accidentally got some model glue in my mouth yesterday, I couldn't taste anything but my flesh melting and cancer forming for about 45 minutes afterwards.

Anyhow, wife is out of town, as you all know I have no friends and am a lonely shut in, so its gonna be a bit rough for me the next few days. Don't mind if I get super baked and review all the records I bought (i'll bump my vet music thread so you can avoid it)

retail therapy hurray! If anyone wants codes for the downloads of Built to Spill - Keep it like a secret, or the new jeff lynne album let me know :cool:

I would take built to spill if you are feeling generous.

The new ELO album is rad, and Jeff Lynne is what I imagine Shim looks like IRL. Obviously 30 or so years younger.

I really keep hoping that he is gonna launch a full blown NA tour, but it doesn't look like its gonna happen this year.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Syrian Lannister posted:

Pretty sure that's endgame-tier dad. Pace yourself.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pesticide20 posted:

Sums up my model experience

Same. Including it being an F-4.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

bengy81 posted:

I would take built to spill if you are feeling generous.

The new ELO album is rad, and Jeff Lynne is what I imagine Shim looks like IRL. Obviously 30 or so years younger.

I really keep hoping that he is gonna launch a full blown NA tour, but it doesn't look like its gonna happen this year.

ok sorry, I'm a terrible liar I guess, I thought that it said it had a code included, but must have been thinking of another record that I put back down :(

And yeah, Lynne is a pimp. It's too bad half the wilbury's are dead, would be interesting to see what they'd put out.

gently caress now I want to listen to some Orbison. I've bought the Mystery Girl LP twice on accident lol.

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 10, 2016

bengy81
May 8, 2010

ok sorry, I'm a terrible liar I guess, I thought that it said it had a code included, but must have been thinking of another record that I put back down :(

And yeah, Lynne is a pimp. It's too bad half the wilbury's are dead, would be interesting to see what they'd put out.

gently caress now I want to listen to some Orbison. I've bought the Mystery Girl LP twice on accident lol.

It's cool baby, I still love you.

What kind of setup do you have?

I have a lovely record player, and I really want to go full retard and buy a nice deck and speakers and maybe build my own tube amp, so I can really experience my Billy Joel albums ya know?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
HCT, check out Daughter. She's cool and makes dope chill music.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
A sony lx300usb turntable, yamaha rx-v373 receiver. Yamaha 5.1 speakers that were bundled with the receiver.

edit: its like Joy Division is IN THE ROOM WITH ME in STUNNING 5.1 sound

edit: KFFF will do

I just finally figured out out to do bypass the audio input of the PS4, while still being able to display the image. Now I can listen to my records and play video pinball all night

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 10, 2016

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Oh hey, nerdy model chat.

:suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide:

I haven't painted/played in over 5 years now, because my best friend that I would nerd it up with died in a car wreck at that time. Wasn't the same anymore.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Sorry about your friend, but please don't post pictures of your incredible painting and poo poo and shame me thank you

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Hey man everyone has to start somewhere. This was my first attempt, after my first tour in Iraq:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
:nws:

http://i.imgur.com/XWvAJMp.jpg

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

A good post.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Man, this OMD record is loving dope.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Man, this OMD record is loving dope.

which one

also is the new ELO album good?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

holocaust bloopers posted:

HCT, check out Daughter. She's cool and makes dope chill music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlcDMCqWBoU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

which one

also is the new ELO album good?

The Pacific Age

And I haven't gotten to ELO yet, made a quick bowie detour

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Still on the first side, but it sounds like an ELO album with more autotune

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

v naice, a top shelf bottom

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
man i hate cleaning mold lines, its the worst loving part about modelling little plastic mans

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Zeris posted:

They're making a sequel to Edge of Tomorrow gently caress yessssssss
If they have any balls at all, it will be Tom Cruise in his dress uniform at the end of Edge of Tomorrow 1 walking down the stairs toward Emily Blunt, tripping on his shoelace, cracking his head open on the concrete, and waking up back at the start of the first movie.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

You guys use any sites for cheap/fake oakleys? Lost my polarized frogskins. Though they lasted a lot longer than I hoped even despite my dog chewing them up; I'll probably lose them again. Lost them at the dog park ironically. Pretty sure some jerk picked them up as I walked around 20 times and they're easy to spot. Not sure why he'd want them with a chewed up frame and part of the lens but hey
I like Smith Optics, which are impact resistant, and seem to take abuse well. I've dropped mine several times with nary a scratch.

The Rat posted:

Oh hey, nerdy model chat.
I'm too hipster for 40k, so here's some of the 3,000 or so points of Battlefleet Gothic Eldar I own that I pulled out of storage.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
eldar? gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I liked the ship design, the maneuverability, and the spittle-spraying frustration they caused other players. Not necessarily in that order.

• Locked thread