Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It'll probably be available in time for the next mission, but really, how many of the Demon Hawks are going to be capable of piloting a Clan OmniMech without penalty and with no training? Two of them.

berryjon posted:

Why do I suspect that being an Investigative Reporter has its advantages? ;)

Ha, time for Steel Viper Watch member Lyran Mech Reporter Bethany Cochrane to put her talents to better use!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

berryjon posted:

Why do I suspect that being an Investigative Reporter has its advantages? ;)

Interesting fact - the Witness has yet to use any contractions in her sentences.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

PoptartsNinja posted:

No, it took a cockpit crit. The head isn't destroyed, but the cockpit still needs repairs before it can take a pilot. They'll likely have to use the Warhawk's cockpit to fix it.

It'll probably be available in time for the next mission, but really, how many of the Demon Hawks are going to be capable of piloting a Clan OmniMech without penalty and with no training? Two of them.

Wait. TWO?

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.

GhostStalker posted:

Ha, time for Steel Viper Watch member Lyran Mech Reporter Bethany Cochrane to put her talents to better use!

And that, my friends, could be poetry in lethality.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Artificer posted:

Wait. TWO?

Bethany and the liason is my guess. The NRWR clearly has the technology to produce Omnimechs and the original Dragoon was one of the proto-omnis along with the Mercury.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's not a Demon Hawk though.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Scintilla posted:

Interesting fact - the Witness has yet to use any contractions in her sentences.

Actually, she has. She slipped up once when the wing pair of Kirghiz flew onto the map in update 4. Probably due to panic or something like that. Or maybe to sell that panic more to the rest of the Demon Hawks, I guess.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 9, 2016

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Scintilla posted:

Bethany and the liason is my guess. The NRWR clearly has the technology to produce Omnimechs and the original Dragoon was one of the proto-omnis along with the Mercury.

No, I bet that there's something Jason Youngblood Burrock Youngblood isn't telling us, like what really happened back in clan space last year.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Octatonic posted:

No, I bet that there's something Jason Youngblood Burrock Youngblood isn't telling us, like what really happened back in clan space last year.

I know what you did last Summer in Clan Space

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Ok, revising estimates up to four of them, but neither Jason or Duncan would want it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, but Jason called dibs on it!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
So he might not be driving it around for a mission or two while he gets used to it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Duncan strikes me as the type who rides Assault mechs exclusively. A 60 tonner like that Mad Dog is just below his notice.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

JT Jag posted:

Duncan strikes me as the type who rides Assault mechs exclusively. A 60 tonner like that Mad Dog is just below his notice.

Nah, he'll pilot anything and everything. His strongest talent is his ability to pilot nearly any `Mech to the best of his abilities.

He's just not a very good pilot. :v:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I wonder if the NRWR has the tech to make clan LRM ammo that will work in the mad dog's LRM 20? I seem to recall that the cLRM 20 is one of the more bullshit weapons.

The mad dog prime looks pretty swanky as machines go, though. I feel like it's a better loadout than the B unless I'm missing something like heat issues.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The B has insane range (only AC/2 variants can touch it at max range) and is better equipped for finishing off weakened targets with all those SRMs. Neither of them has any business alpha striking, they only sink 24 heat and easily generate that with just the large lasers.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 9, 2016

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nah, he'll pilot anything and everything. His strongest talent is his ability to pilot nearly any `Mech to the best of his abilities.

He's just not a very good pilot. :v:
How did he not get nicknamed "Jack"?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

JT Jag posted:

How did he not get nicknamed "Jack"?

And head of the All Trade lance of the Demon Hawks. Unfortunately, he constantly ends up in scrapes against rival mercenaries, the Nunn Company. Lead by the elusive Robert "Master" Brooks.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

The B has insane range (only AC/2 variants can touch it at max range) and is better equipped for finishing off weakened targets with all those SRMs. Neither of them has any business alpha striking, they only sink 24 heat and easily generate that with just the large lasers.

I guess the streak system does matter, since those are all or nothing on the flights. But two 6s and a lrm20 is 32 missiles to the 30 the prime has in two lrm15s. The LBX is probably also pretty good with cluster ammo for getting some crits. I just feel like the LPL/MPL combo is more resilient and probably better at opening holes at range than the AC and ERMLs, and just relying on the lrms to do the crit seeking work seems sufficient. I could be very wrong, I've never played with either of them, but that's my gut instinct. I also just like energy weapons more, call it a personal failing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Olothreutes posted:

I guess the streak system does matter, since those are all or nothing on the flights. But two 6s and a lrm20 is 32 missiles to the 30 the prime has in two lrm15s. The LBX is probably also pretty good with cluster ammo for getting some crits. I just feel like the LPL/MPL combo is more resilient and probably better at opening holes at range than the AC and ERMLs, and just relying on the lrms to do the crit seeking work seems sufficient. I could be very wrong, I've never played with either of them, but that's my gut instinct. I also just like energy weapons more, call it a personal failing.

Didn't realize that PTN's B is nothing like the canon one. The LB-10X is arguably the best weapon in the game, full stop. It punches holes with the best of them and murders pilots with cluster hits. Clan ER Mediums are essentially Inner Sphere Larges with less heat, they punch good holes. It can't snipe nearly as well as the Prime but it would have torn us to pieces if it weren't for that amazing shot. The best part is that it can actually fire most of its weapons at once without any major heat issues.

The canon B model is a sniper with a strong set of close range weapons to fall back on. PTN's is a motherfucker at all ranges.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 10, 2016

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Didn't realize that PTN's B is nothing like the canon one. The LB-10X is arguably the best weapon in the game, full stop. It punches holes with the best of them and murders pilots with cluster hits. Clan ER Mediums are essentially Inner Sphere Larges with less heat, they punch good holes. It can't snipe nearly as well as the Prime but it would have torn us to pieces if it weren't for that amazing shot. The best part is that it can actually fire most of its weapons at once without any major heat issues.

The canon B model is a sniper with a strong set of close range weapons to fall back on. PTN's is a motherfucker at all ranges.

I'll have to give the lb-10x a go in megamek the next time I've got a moment or three. I have basically no experience with it. I really should get all my against the bot files off my other computer and start avoiding my thesis that way again.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

dis astranagant posted:

IIRC, the Clan Medium Pulse is pound for pound the most efficient damage dealer in the game, but efficiency is terribly, terribly boring.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zeroisanumber posted:

IIRC, the Clan Medium Pulse is pound for pound the most efficient damage dealer in the game, but efficiency is terribly, terribly boring.

Not if you bundle the weight of heat sinks into it. Then it's the Clan machine gun because you can stack it forever. But ignoring that, the best damage:tonnage ratio weapon is the Small Heavy Laser which does 12 damage per ton.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Defiance Industries posted:

Not if you bundle the weight of heat sinks into it. Then it's the Clan machine gun because you can stack it forever. But ignoring that, the best damage:tonnage ratio weapon is the Small Heavy Laser which does 12 damage per ton.

We didn't have those when I was 13 and playing on a sandtable in the back of my flgs. :colbert:

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
The LB-10 might be especially remarkable if all the cluster pellets hit at all times, but, well, they don't.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Merry Marauder posted:

The LB-10 might be especially remarkable if all the cluster pellets hit at all times, but, well, they don't.

Instead they have -1 to hit. At 18 range. For 2 heat. And only weigh 11 or 10 tons, with 6 or 5 crits. And have plenty of ammo per ton. And can switch back to being a PPC equivalent hole puncher on a whim.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 10, 2016

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
It's not bad. Still heavy for something that does 6 damage a lot.

If you really want to go full critseeker, just poo poo Streaks at things from fast platforms. Not to mention the mighty pulse laser(s).

In any event, it's not the best weapon in the game, arguably or otherwise.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

If you really want to go full critseeker, just poo poo Streaks at things from fast platforms. Not to mention the mighty pulse laser(s).

Yeah, it's a good, usable weapon, compared to things like the AC/2 which are super-niche or the AC/5 which is more or less "what the gently caress were you thinking" but nowhere near the best.

The Best Weapons In The Game for the Clans are probably, in no particular order:
ER Medium Lasers
Large Pulse Lasers
ERPPCs
LRMs

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
LB-10x are good because of the range that you can critseek from. SRM/MML platforms have to get close to be effective critseekers, which can expose them, depending on the situation.

A RFL-6X, say, can just rock back and forth at range 12~, still have solid to-hit numbers because of the cluster ammo, and get TACs and head-taps with good frequency. You might be able to argue that SRMs/MMLs/streaks are better pound-for-pound, but the LB-10x gives you much more tactical flexibility while also allowing for plenty of hit location rolls.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I think we can all agree that they are situationally good.

Naturally, this is something Clan Omnis can abuse in typically egregious fashion.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

In MWO, this leads to the mighty "Streakcrow" variant of the Stormcrow. Everybody loves it!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well, before this gets out of hand.

Here you go, guys. Speculate wildly!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Is that movement profile correct? 10/15/20? I don't see a Partial Wing on the RaveBoat there.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Without checking anything, that seems like a pretty hefty punch for the weight.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

berryjon posted:

Is that movement profile correct? 10/15/20? I don't see a Partial Wing on the RaveBoat there.

PTN puts jump mp in a separate box. That's MASC speed.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

berryjon posted:

That's the MASC I believe.

Edit: ^gently caress

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

berryjon posted:

I think that's MASC move, not jump. He has no jump.

e: welp

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, before this gets out of hand.

Here you go, guys. Speculate wildly!

At last. The true final form of the Pulsar has been unveiled by fire.

Godspeed, Locust But Way More.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm normally not a fan of the riced out pulse lasers (he can only run and shoot 3 of them before having problems) but if anything can make them work it's something that ridiculously fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What separates an X-Pulse laser from a Pulse laser?

• Locked thread