Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Genocyber posted:

If someone's claiming something horrible has happened to that you shouldn't be automatically assuming they're lying. That's a pretty drat lovely way of going about things.

When the claims being made have such potentially huge repercussions, believing them right out of the gate is dangerous. I don't much care about Tobuscus, I have barely seen any of his videos besides the one where he cried about Robin Williams, but to lend credence to the story just because the story they're telling is about bad things that happened to them is illogical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Yeah wow so dangerous. He might lose like two dozen subscribers over this and 100% definitely will not go to jail or suffer any other legal repercussions.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

CJacobs posted:

When the claims being made have such potentially huge repercussions, believing them right out of the gate is dangerous.

I don't mean to go right for such a massive escalation here, but this kind of thought is pretty much why a bunch of the huge famous child molesters and similar monstrous people only got found out post-death or when it was ages late.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

When the claims being made have such potentially huge repercussions, believing them right out of the gate is dangerous. I don't much care about Tobuscus, I have barely seen any of his videos besides the one where he cried about Robin Williams, but to lend credence to the story just because the story they're telling is about bad things that happened to them is illogical.

who loving cares if its illogical, show some empathy you robot

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just because I don't believe it at this moment doesn't mean I think it's impossible for it to be true. I'm 1 person.

VoidBurger posted:

Yeah wow so dangerous. He might lose like two dozen subscribers over this and 100% definitely will not go to jail or suffer any other legal repercussions.

I hope you understand that what you're actually saying here that accusing someone of rape, pedophilia, et all is not a dangerous prospect.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Do you get suspicious of burglaries, non-sexual assaults, or other crimes? Because false rape accusations happen with the same frequency as all other false reporting of crimes, y'know.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I'm just gonna say, irrespective of anything else, that it's attitude like this that contribute to a lot of rapes going unreported or being reported way after the fact, as may be the case here. Or abuse crimes in general, for that matter.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Yeah like I mentioned it in my last post but this is like Rape Culture 101, guy

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, I don't doubt at all that all this poo poo happened, it's just that it's such a laundry list of scumbaggery that it's hard to believe just like that, tho. Then again, so was Bill Cosby.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Genocyber posted:

I'm just gonna say, irrespective of anything else, that it's attitude like this that contribute to a lot of rapes going unreported or being reported way after the fact, as may be the case here. Or abuse crimes in general, for that matter.

Well, that's the beauty of the internet. She's put it out there for the whole world to see and for people who are more invested in her struggles and, to be blunt, care more than I do, to help her if it's true. I am not saying that in all cases like this it is rational to instantly jump to disbelief. That's just how I personally have chosen to interpret this case specifically.

Suspicious Dish posted:

who loving cares if its illogical, show some empathy you robot

I'm sorry I didn't open with "if it did happen then I genuinely feel bad for her and Tobuscus is a scumbag", I guess. I assumed that was implied given the gravitas of her accusations, I don't know what person wouldn't think that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Well, that's the beauty of the internet. She's put it out there for the whole world to see and for people who are more invested in her struggles and, to be blunt, care more than I do, to help her if it's true. I am not saying that in all cases like this it is rational to instantly jump to disbelief. That's just how I personally have chosen to interpret this case specifically.

Which is an incredibly lovely way to "interpret this case." False accusations of rape are incredibly rare, to the point that there is pretty much no reason you should ever assume that is the case.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Also the deck is so tragically stacked in favor of the accused in rape trials and even if she isn't going to press charges his fans are going to harass The poo poo out of her, so why would she or any rape victim lie about it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Genocyber posted:

Which is an incredibly lovely way to "interpret this case." False accusations of rape are incredibly rare, to the point that there is pretty much no reason you should ever assume that is the case.

Imo the rarity of the situation hasn't got much bearing on whether it is or isn't true. Not just in accusations of a crime, but about any story being told. Anyone could be lying or not lying about anything, and when all you have to work with is their word, I believe skepticism is a better standpoint to take. You're right that it is sometimes better to reserve judgment, and that's what I'm doing, in my own way. Whether that makes me look like an rear end in a top hat to you or not, I don't really care. :shrug:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 10, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Sometimes you can just say you're wrong and no one will get angry.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I believe skepticism is a better standpoint to take.

It usually isn't in this case.

Like if he somehow gets proven without a doubt to be innocent, I dunno, I still woulda rather been on the wrong side and apologize for it, than to have possibly ever lended support to someone who could be a horrible rapist. Not saying that's what you should feel like or whatever, I just mean in my dumb old personal thought process that's how it ends up.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 10, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yardbomb posted:

It usually isn't in this case.

Maybe I should have just said that I'm neutral on it, that would've saved a lot of headache I think.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Remember that derail someone didn't want to cause? Becuase it's happening

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Cheez posted:

Remember that derail someone didn't want to cause? Becuase it's happening

Eh, can massive news regarding one of the biggest LPers on Youtube really be a derail?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
It kind of is when it devolves into arguing over everybody's different ways of approaching it.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I also think it's kind of an important conversation to have, generally speaking. Especially with gaming being as weird as it is lately.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
I may be remembering this wrong, but at the time when Robin Williams died Tobuscus uploaded and monetized a video of him crying into the camera, essentially making money off the back of the tragedy. When people confronted him about it, telling him that he could have just not monetized the video, his response was basically "I dunno what you mean, lol". A person whose living relies on ad revenue from Youtube, and he doesn't know the full suite of video control? Right.

If Tobuscus was evasive over something as trivial as unchecking a box during an upload process, what makes anyone think he's going to come forward in light of a serious accusation like an adult?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Well it looks like there's a whole disconnect between "Tobuscus" and Toby Turner himself. Like yeah the wacky guy joking about video games is one thing, but when someone in their early 20's suddenly gets a lot of money and fame it's very easy for that to get out of control, so a lot of the stuff you don't see in videos probably isn't stuff that wouldn't be good to have on video.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Other people in that circle have come out and said that her claims are in line with his behaviuor

https://twitter.com/AmeliaTalon/status/718736854640537600
https://twitter.com/Uptomyknees/status/718707825241927680

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

When Max Landis calls you an rear end in a top hat then you're doing something horribly wrong.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Isn't Tobi the guy who went to cons and asking all the booth girls if he can fondle their tits?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
God, do not look at the youtube comments of that one video if you value humanity at all. Not a single supportive comment towards the women speaking out against Toby at all. Just a bunch of "lol just go to the police" and "stop ruining his life" bullshit. Yeah, because that's the only action to take in this case. Ugh.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Bill Cosby case was the same way, one woman spoke out, and all she got was "What a slut" or "She's lying" and then more and more people eventually spoke out. Of course it took a guy calling him out for something to finally happen with that.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

"~Just go to the police, it's so suspicious huh~"

Because you know, accusations like this against wealthy/famous people pan out super well all the time, because you know, women aren't just blown off on these kinds of things all the time either.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Tobuscus' mom did a big run-through of it and why she doesn't believe it which I think is pretty great though. Toby's mom claims the lady is a crazy stalker so hey who knows.

Is this confirmed to be his actual mother?

E: Guess it is, lotta people who'd know more about it than me accept it is.

From Max Landis's video about situations like this:

Dabir fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 10, 2016

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

What happened with Markiplier? The only drama I know about him was he took some time off because of some real life issues and some fans couldn't handle that, but that's more of an issue with them than anyone else.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dabir posted:

Is this confirmed to be his actual mother?

E: Guess it is, lotta people who'd know more about it than me accept it is.

From Max Landis's video about situations like this:

Really, the "I need proof (of your rape)" is extremely hosed up. What do they want, a loving video of the victim currently being raped?

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Heya Youtubers! Remember, if you're ever raped, whether it's by the statistically unlikely stranger-in-an-alley, or by someone you look up to and admire and takes advantage of that situation, make sure to behave "like a rape victim" or else no one will believe you!

*JUMP CUT. COOL INTRO TO MY YOUTUBE SHOW PLAYS. JUMPCUT BACK TO FACE CAM*

Rape reporting! It's the "DARK SOULS" of justice! Ha ha, videogames. Well if you wanna beat the ~final boss~ of THIS heinous situation, here's some PRO TIPS I've gleaned from the culture I'm surrounded by, which I cannot call a "rape culture" unless people are constantly raping each other in the streets, or so that culture has told me in ALLCAPS many times.

*FOLLOWING PLAYS OUT LIKE A BUZZFEED STYLE LISTICLE. BOLD RED "NO" STYLE DESIGN. UTILIZE AIRHORNS OR SAD TROMBONES MAYBE?*

NEVER:
-Tell anyone what happened except the police/hospital.
-Write any blogposts about it, ever. This will be interpreted as "attention seeking." No one wants to know about your rape, ugh! You need to suffer in private, that's the correct way.
-Act happy or normal, do normal things like go to work (even if you need money to live), attend parties, or use social media the way you normally do.
-Try to go on with your life, in denial that something happened.
-Wait any amount of time follow up on pursuing court-justice for any reason at all. You should be able to talk about this scary event in great detail to total strangers who are fed up with your poo poo from minute one.
-Give yourself any time to process what happened.

*LISTICLE CONTINUES, WITH POSITIVE DESIGN/COLOR CHOICES. HAPPY PUNKY POP MUSIC MAYBE??*

ALWAYS:
-Get away from the person immediately because that's obviously very possible in all circumstances, especially mentally abusive situations!
-Go to the police immediately, talk to surly strangers asking if you were dressed too slutty that night. They're just making sure you didn't deserve it!
-Go to the hospital immediately to get drug-tested (You have a car, right? You can leave, right? You're not drugged TOO much that you can't operate a vehicle or take a bus, right?), get a traumatizing and invasive rape kit done immediately (All this costs money in many states, I think?)
-Process the rape kit fully (costs money in most states, I think?) By the way, you should do this quickly, or else the police department might destroy your rape kit cuz it's wasting space at the station!
-Go to court and see your rapist again in court (Hope you have money for court fees!)
-Have a defense lawyer go through your entire personal history to make sure you "weren't asking for it" in any way.
-If possible, go back in time and make sure you never committed any sin since you've ever been on social media. Even a sarcastic or joking quip made by you years ago about how you love the dick can and will be used against you in a court of law!
-Have your entire history and personality dissected on the stand, and have to recount the assault multiple times to dozens of people over and over again. Don't show too MUCH or too LITTLE emotion when doing this, by the way! It could ruin your case!

*JUMP CUT BACK TO FACE CAM*

If you followed these simple steps and "behaved like a rape victim" correctly, congrats! You now have liiiike a 40% chance, tops, provided that you did all of those things 100% correctly. [[EDITOR'S NOTE: Statistics on convictions vary a lot, and it's too hard to look up the ones that succeeded due to "acting correctly", but I've got the feeling that 40% is a pretty generous percentage.]]

And if you falsely accused someone of rape, then whatever, none of this matters because apparently falsely accusing is super easy and fun to do, with zero bad consequences personally or professionally! Feel free to rake in all that....... something......beneficial......??? Whatever it is, it's gotta be great for women to be falsely accusing men ..... hardly ever? I think?? Statistics are like ridiculously hard to figure out with this?

*Remember to LIKE, COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE!! CLICK HERE FOR MORE EFFORT POSTS THAT WILL NOT BE APPRECIATED.*

Skit over. I hate this.

VoidBurger fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 10, 2016

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy

Leal posted:

Really, the "I need proof (of your rape)" is extremely hosed up. What do they want, a loving video of the victim currently being raped?

They don't actual want proof of anything happening. No proof is good enough for that type of shithead. If a victim had video proof of the rape, then that would just be evidence that the victim tricked the accused, in some sort of awful puppet master scheme. The shithead slinging doubt at victims do so because they don't want to admit that someone they like and respect might have done something horrible.

The Heavenator fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 10, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The Heavenator posted:

They don't actual want proof of anything happening. No proof is good enough for that type of shithead. If a victim had video proof of the rape, then that would just be evidence that the victim tricked the accused, in some sort of awful puppet master scheme. The shithead slinging doubt at victims do so because they don't want to admit that someone they like and respect did something horrible.

Yeah, to the "fans" this is all just an "attention-whoring" scam, and I don't think anything other than VERY hard evidence will change their minds because how could such a nice guy do this, right? The great thing about someone coming out like this is that it gets other people talking about it, and it adds up to a point where people might look into it from a legal standpoint. Which on its own is kinda sad, you need support before you're to be believed, but at least on this era it gets harder for stuff to get buried and forgotten.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VoidBurger posted:

Heya Youtubers! Remember, if you're ever raped, whether it's by the statistically unlikely stranger-in-an-alley, or by someone you look up to and admire and takes advantage of that situation, make sure to behave "like a rape victim" or else no one will believe you!

*JUMP CUT. COOL INTRO TO MY YOUTUBE SHOW PLAYS. JUMPCUT BACK TO FACE CAM*

Rape reporting! It's the "DARK SOULS" of justice! Ha ha, videogames. Well if you wanna beat the ~final boss~ of THIS heinous situation, here's some PRO TIPS I've gleaned from the culture I'm surrounded by, which I cannot call a "rape culture" unless people are constantly raping each other in the streets, or so that culture has told me in ALLCAPS many times.

*FOLLOWING PLAYS OUT LIKE A BUZZFEED STYLE LISTICLE. BOLD RED "NO" STYLE DESIGN. UTILIZE AIRHORNS OR SAD TROMBONES MAYBE?*

NEVER:
-Tell anyone what happened except the police/hospital.
-Write any blogposts about it, ever. This will be interpreted as "attention seeking." No one wants to know about your rape, ugh! You need to suffer in private, that's the correct way.
-Act happy or normal, do normal things like go to work (even if you need money to live), attend parties, or use social media the way you normally do.
-Try to go on with your life, in denial that something happened.
-Wait any amount of time follow up on pursuing court-justice for any reason at all. You should be able to talk about this scary event in great detail to total strangers who are fed up with your poo poo from minute one.
-Give yourself any time to process what happened.

*LISTICLE CONTINUES, WITH POSITIVE DESIGN/COLOR CHOICES. HAPPY PUNKY POP MUSIC MAYBE??*

ALWAYS:
-Get away from the person immediately because that's obviously very possible in all circumstances, especially mentally abusive situations!
-Go to the police immediately, talk to surly strangers asking if you were dressed too slutty that night. They're just making sure you didn't deserve it!
-Go to the hospital immediately to get drug-tested (You have a car, right? You can leave, right? You're not drugged TOO much that you can't operate a vehicle or take a bus, right?), get a traumatizing and invasive rape kit done immediately (All this costs money in many states, I think?)
-Process the rape kit fully (costs money in most states, I think?) By the way, you should do this quickly, or else the police department might destroy your rape kit cuz it's wasting space at the station!
-Go to court and see your rapist again in court (Hope you have money for court fees!)
-Have a defense lawyer go through your entire personal history to make sure you "weren't asking for it" in any way.
-If possible, go back in time and make sure you never committed any sin since you've ever been on social media. Even a sarcastic or joking quip made by you years ago about how you love the dick can and will be used against you in a court of law!
-Have your entire history and personality dissected on the stand, and have to recount the assault multiple times to dozens of people over and over again. Don't show too MUCH or too LITTLE emotion when doing this, by the way! It could ruin your case!

*JUMP CUT BACK TO FACE CAM*

If you followed these simple steps and "behaved like a rape victim" correctly, congrats! You now have liiiike a 40% chance, tops, provided that you did all of those things 100% correctly. [[EDITOR'S NOTE: Statistics on convictions vary a lot, and it's too hard to look up the ones that succeeded due to "acting correctly", but I've got the feeling that 40% is a pretty generous percentage.]]

And if you falsely accused someone of rape, then whatever, none of this matters because apparently falsely accusing is super easy and fun to do, with zero bad consequences personally or professionally! Feel free to rake in all that....... something......beneficial......??? Whatever it is, it's gotta be great for women to be falsely accusing men ..... hardly ever? I think?? Statistics are like ridiculously hard to figure out with this?

*Remember to LIKE, COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE!! CLICK HERE FOR MORE EFFORT POSTS THAT WILL NOT BE APPRECIATED.*

Skit over. I hate this.
:vince:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Is this gonna end up as another Superpsyguy situation? Because we really need more of that horribleness going on.

Whatever happened with that anyway? I had heard the guy came back to youtube under several different names but nothing as to if there was/what the results of a court case might be. Granted considering how deep that rabbit hole went maybe it's better if it wasn't publicized anyway.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The Heavenator posted:

They don't actual want proof of anything happening. No proof is good enough for that type of shithead. If a victim had video proof of the rape, then that would just be evidence that the victim tricked the accused, in some sort of awful puppet master scheme. The shithead slinging doubt at victims do so because they don't want to admit that someone they like and respect might have done something horrible.

Thing is it's not even just people who like the guy. These horrible events attract all sorts of lovely people who care more about harassing the victim.
It's been a hosed up month of lovely games related news/outrage and now this one tops it all off.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Golden Goat posted:

Thing is it's not even just people who like the guy. These horrible events attract all sorts of lovely people who care more about harassing the victim.
It's been a hosed up month of lovely games related news/outrage and now this one tops it all off.

TotalBiscuit definitely picked a good time to forever swear off making videos based on internet/gaming drama.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

bobjr posted:

What happened with Markiplier? The only drama I know about him was he took some time off because of some real life issues and some fans couldn't handle that, but that's more of an issue with them than anyone else.

The "real life issues" were the death of a friend and co-worker, iirc. He's back to doing videos in any case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

TotalBiscuit definitely picked a good time to forever swear off making videos based on internet/gaming drama.

Oh that's good to hear. A lot of his content is pretty decent.

• Locked thread