Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

uPen posted:

Did they just halve coring costs to compensate for you having to 'core' territory twice? I'm enjoying paying like 8 points to core most of Egypt.

Yeah, you pay half the cost up front and that gets you a Territorial Core. 75% minimum autonomy, no Estates allowed, doesn't count towards accepted cultures, you lose the core if it's conquered (so no reconquest).

Then you pay the second half instantly when you transform it into a State.

Edit: it is also worth noting if you downgrade a State back into a Territory, you lose the cores and admin points for good (the game warns about this).

You want to be very deliberate about what you upgrade to full States. Depending on your start, your starting 15 or whatever States might seem like a lot but if you're expanding at any decent clip you'll start scraping that ceiling quickly.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

super fart shooter posted:

It's especially dumb since like all the starting nations in Africa and probably a lot of other places are already kingdoms despite being in double digit development levels. It really annoys me in Paradox games when they give you all kinds of starting conditions that are not actually in line with what's achievable in gameplay.

That's perfectly achievable! You don't lose your rank when you drop below the development threshold, after all. Should Byzantium be a duchy?

...but even that's not really the point. The game's mechanics aren't designed to simulate themselves; they're designed to roughly (roughly!) emulate the real world. The african tribal kingdoms were kingdoms, not duchies; why shouldn't the game let them be that? Do they really need more handicaps than they already have?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Ah, poo poo. :mad:

Fought with Denmark. Made them give me the North Sea islands. Forced them to release Norway.

Norway took precedence. Got the islands. I got nothing.

Really crabby right now. :mad:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

PleasingFungus posted:

At that point, there'd be no reason for 'states' to exist.

I think a lot of people would be happy with that

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Fintilgin posted:

Ah, poo poo. :mad:

Fought with Denmark. Made them give me the North Sea islands. Forced them to release Norway.

Norway took precedence. Got the islands. I got nothing.

Really crabby right now. :mad:

Also, apparently returning a core to a country doesn't count as giving them land?

I returned Gotland to Sweden in that war, but they think I 'broke my promise to give them land', and have a -1000 modifier to joining me in another war where they could get cores returned to them.

gently caress you too, Sweden.

Grumpy.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

Also, apparently returning a core to a country doesn't count as giving them land?

I returned Gotland to Sweden in that war, but they think I 'broke my promise to give them land'.

Grumpy.

It depends on how much they contributed. If they contributed a significant amount, giving them a single island is pretty insulting.

Also everything you're complaining about is clearly listed on the peace deal screen, pay closer attention next time

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'm gonna wreck these rebels!

Why am I losing!! I have a 2 shock leader with as Ottomans! It's 15 stack vs a 14!

What!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

verbal enema posted:

Why am I losing!! I have a 2 shock leader with as Ottomans! It's 15 stack vs a 14!

What!

morale

the rebels probably have a Morale bonus

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

verbal enema posted:

What!

There's a lot of factors. Are you attacking them in bad terrain or over rivers? You may have just gotten bad rolls. 15-14 isn't a very big advantage either. Their army might be better if it has more cavalry in it than yours.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

kojei posted:

Also everything you're complaining about is clearly listed on the peace deal screen, pay closer attention next time

Now I feel stupid and grumpy!

:( :mad:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Pellisworth posted:

morale

the rebels probably have a Morale bonus

i think it was morale. i have 3.12~~ rn as the ottomans

Trujillo posted:

There's a lot of factors. Are you attacking them in bad terrain or over rivers? You may have just gotten bad rolls. 15-14 isn't a very big advantage either. Their army might be better if it has more cavalry in it than yours.

it was in western anotolia? idk the are right by serbia. drat orthodox

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

verbal enema posted:

i think it was morale. i have 3.12~~ rn as the ottomans

Morale is king. Morale wins battles.

The casualties your units inflict are based on dice roll (modified by generals, terrain, specific unit pips) X technology "weapon" modifier X Discipline X Combat Ability

However, retreat by individual units and from the battle is determined by morale. The damage you deal is multiplied by your MAX morale, relative to your enemy's CURRENT morale. This is why Prussia, France, and other nations with large morale bonuses can be such incredible fuckheads. Even if they roll poorly, their high morale means they route your units faster and stay in the field longer. A high morale army can sustain higher overall casualties but still win the battle.

This is one of the reasons I personally love Defensive as a first pick military idea.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Eej posted:

I think a lot of people would be happy with that

Those people don't want any changes at all, in all likelihood. I really like the new territory/state system

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

QuarkJets posted:

Those people don't want any changes at all, in all likelihood. I really like the new territory/state system

Yeah, now that it's been explained to me I'm starting to really like it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

verbal enema posted:

What!

What others said, and also a one regiment advantage is hardly an advantage at all. If you're attacking into flat terrain, you should have a size 18 stack with at least 4 cavalry to maximize flanking.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah it's pretty good. But I think I discovered one hell of a bug today though: when you form a nation, all your territorial cores seem to get upgraded into real cores.

I was Muscovy, conquered a bunch of stuff from Kazan and the GH, left it all territorial, and definitely only payed half price per core. Formed Russia, flipped them into States, and then didn't have to pay to core them again.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Also most rebels (nationalist and religious at least) have a x1.25 modifier to their morale by default. I always make sure to grab a few mercs above my forcelimit before I crush rebels just to ensure I get a flanking bonus on them.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

PleasingFungus posted:

That's perfectly achievable! You don't lose your rank when you drop below the development threshold, after all. Should Byzantium be a duchy?

...but even that's not really the point. The game's mechanics aren't designed to simulate themselves; they're designed to roughly (roughly!) emulate the real world. The african tribal kingdoms were kingdoms, not duchies; why shouldn't the game let them be that? Do they really need more handicaps than they already have?

That's my point, if Tunis or Morocco or whatever get to be kingdoms, then obviously the requirements for being a kingdom should be much lower for that part of the world, so that the gameplay more closely matches the rules established by the game's start conditions (and by the real world history.) As it is, the game wouldn't allow me to make my own comparable African kingdom if I were to start as a little duchy, I'd have to have almost the entire Maghreb region before it would let me do that.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Reading the last page I've realized that I didn't understand the State/Territory thing at all. Whoever decided to have different mechanics called Estates and States in the same game should be drawn and quartered. :mad:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Did something change with regards to how the AI calculates warfare? I just saw the Fall of Constantinople undone because the Ottomans didn't sue for peace after occupying Byzantium. There's now a resurgent Roman Empire in Eastern Europe and Karaman has replaced the Ottomans in Anatolia.

I've seen a couple other wars drag on past the point where the AI should have been able to sue for peace. A Spanish War for Navarra dragged on for a decade despite Spain occupying Paris within the first three years. The Livonian Order and the Teutons have managed to hang on despite being fully occupied several times over.

Just want to know if I am a worse EU4 player than I thought.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Welp, it's december 1544 and as Sakalava I just discovered North Africa, Europe minus half of Scandinavia, the entire continent of Asia apart from the northernmost empty provinces and also south east Asia all the way down to a wasteland in Australia. So much for exploration.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Obliterati posted:

Technically possible, incredibly boring. In Goon MP we rule it a player death if they don't resist.

e: reminder that we're starting a new game and all signups are welcome! Saturdays, 7-11GMT. Sign up here.

Thanks!

I have been playing another MP game as Hungary. I am trying to get a PU over Austria, I have a Hapsburg on the throne but as I understand it they changed the Pu rules? It seems tied to development so Austria will keep auto-spawning an heir if their king dies?

I really wish the EU4 wiki was more to update. Hard to see what is and isn't relevant anymore.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Poil posted:

Welp, it's december 1544 and as Sakalava I just discovered North Africa, Europe minus half of Scandinavia, the entire continent of Asia apart from the northernmost empty provinces and also south east Asia all the way down to a wasteland in Australia. So much for exploration.
That's easy to explain. Your people already knew of their original homeland in the Malay Archipelago; however, they did not know where it was relative to their current homes. As luck would have it, some drunk Portuguese sailor threw a bunch of maps overboard, which washed up on your shores and allowed your people to finally piece together the puzzle.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Playing this for the first time in a long time. I have Conquest of Paradise and Wealth of Nations. Looking at all the DLC since I last played....Holy poo poo. Especially for how much they cost. Think I'll wait for them to be on sale.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
So upgrading your ships mean that you kill all your sailors as well, I guess they just can't learn how to handle the new ships and that it's a mercy.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Any tips for Brandenburg? The idea is to go Prussia and get the A Fine Goosestep achievement.

I'm in 1460 and eating some of the OPM around me (I've taken around 6-7 provinces so far), aiming towards the trade center in Lubeck, but I feel I'm constantly out of manpower and the only way I'm making money in peace is by keeping my army maintenance at 0. Maybe it's me being used to play big nations, but I'm not used to the lack of manpower. Is it worth it to go for Quantity, or is it a problem that will sort itself out and I should go for Administrative or Economic ideas?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
So now that religious disunity costs money in the form of corruption, are Dhimmi estates even worth it if you don't have humanist ideas? Maybe with the extra Dhimmi tax income you'll come out ahead or at least break even, in which case all you're really getting out of it is the tech bonus, but you need to have a pretty big Christian population before you start to see the benefit of that. It just seems better to convert it all instead

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Any tips for Brandenburg? The idea is to go Prussia and get the A Fine Goosestep achievement.

I'm in 1460 and eating some of the OPM around me (I've taken around 6-7 provinces so far), aiming towards the trade center in Lubeck, but I feel I'm constantly out of manpower and the only way I'm making money in peace is by keeping my army maintenance at 0. Maybe it's me being used to play big nations, but I'm not used to the lack of manpower. Is it worth it to go for Quantity, or is it a problem that will sort itself out and I should go for Administrative or Economic ideas?

Aim for the Prussian provinces around the Baltic, some of those you need to form Prussia. Those also contain center of trades and estuaries.

Get some mercs in your army to maintain manpower. Lower army and fort maintenance during peace time to save money. Stick to lvl 1 advisors for now.

Watch for a weakness in Poland to take the Teutonic lands.

Good ideas are Admin (cheaper mercs and coring), Offensive (space marines), Quality (space marines), Innovative (keep war exhaustion down and great policies with offensive and quality), Influence (keep AE down).
Economic is fine, but mainly interesting for the 5% discipline policy with Quality.
Defensive for extra morale and army tradition and curb Russian attrition is also good.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Royal marry Bohemia day 1, ally Poland, claim the bohemian throne as soon as they get your dynasty. They'll hate you for a long time but it's worth it.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm playing a Brandenburg now, the first thing I did was waiting for Poland to attack the Teutonic Knights who I took Neumark from and vassalized. I also allied Austria and fabricated claims on everyone around me and starting being extremely opportunistic, the first idea group I choose was Innovative to combine with offensive and quality to make some beatiful space marines. Also Condittoreti helps you gently caress over allies without any penalties.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

^^^^^
EDIT: Yeah, refreshing is a thing.

Thanks.

Just got hit by a Regency Council, so I'm going to have some time to tech up, although 17 years of peace don't seem fun at all. May restart with what I've learned so far. As in grab "Neumark as soon as Poland attacks the Teutonic Order and then make them win your war with Pomerania without bothering to fight yourself". :getin:

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Playing as holland I just saw some goofy stuff. gelre and friesland just conquer and freely release each other over and over, both sides have done it multiple times. It must be imperial demands, but drat if it isn't funny

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Hey guys I'm missing some buttons

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
Go here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Europa Universalis IV

Delete the folder "gfx" then verify your cache.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Average Bear posted:

Royal marry Bohemia day 1, ally Poland, claim the bohemian throne as soon as they get your dynasty. They'll hate you for a long time but it's worth it.

Whenever Bohemia gets an heir of my Dynasty, they magically get a podebrad on the throne a few months later, usually before I can make my claim for lack of prestige. Am I missing out on one magical trick the hapsburgs won't tell us?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Nine of Eight posted:

Whenever Bohemia gets an heir of my Dynasty, they magically get a podebrad on the throne a few months later, usually before I can make my claim for lack of prestige. Am I missing out on one magical trick the hapsburgs won't tell us?

z Podebrad is by event, so you need to act fast and force the PU

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks, just figured it out. Turns out it was mostly a luck of the start thing.
Of course, now that I'm getting back into EU4 my poor understanding of Fort zones of influence led to me stackwiping my whole army twice. I thought I had forgotten what EU4 rage was like.

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 10, 2016

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Trying to get back into EU4 with custom nations + a custom culture, for kicks.

Made a Dutch Republic custom nation of my culture (and Norse!), spending about 800 points in the Nation designer -- located it from Danzig to Krakow.

Started playing and promptly got wardec'd by all my neighbors. I guess being Norse in the middle of Catholic Europe was a bad idea? :-S

Also, I haven't really played in any serious way since pre-forts and pre-development and ugh, the learning curve feels a bit high. What's the TL;DR on forts and development? Is there a map view where I can easily see forts? Has the tutorial been updated with the new features? I feel like I have to relearn the game.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

alcaras posted:

Trying to get back into EU4 with custom nations + a custom culture, for kicks.

Made a Dutch Republic custom nation of my culture (and Norse!), spending about 800 points in the Nation designer -- located it from Danzig to Krakow.

Started playing and promptly got wardec'd by all my neighbors. I guess being Norse in the middle of Catholic Europe was a bad idea? :-S

Also, I haven't really played in any serious way since pre-forts and pre-development and ugh, the learning curve feels a bit high. What's the TL;DR on forts and development? Is there a map view where I can easily see forts? Has the tutorial been updated with the new features? I feel like I have to relearn the game.

Instead of having forts in every province and carpet-sieging, forts now cost money to maintain, are slower to siege, and project a Zone of Control into adjacent provinces. The ZoC means armies can't walk past your forts, so you can actually play strategically with their placement.
Forts are imo most useful on your borders and at chokepoints to stop the advance of enemies. I prefer to put them in flat terrain, although forts in mountains get a bonus to Fort Defense it means if you want to attack the besieging army to lift the siege, you have to attack into unfavorable terrain. As you expand it is totally okay to mothball and eventually delete forts in the interior of your nation. A notable feature of fully maintained (non-mothballed) forts is they prevent rebels from adding Separatism to your provinces unless they siege the fort. So they can be useful to have in rebellious areas as the rebels are forced to siege the fort (buying you time to get your armies there) before they cause harm.

Development is a better way of modeling the old base manpower/tax system. It is rarely worth investing a lot of points in development except as a point dump, with some exceptions.
1) Production dev in gold provinces for mad cash
2) Provinces where you could benefit from another building and are near a cutoff, for example taking a province from 9 to 10 dev and unlocking a building slot
3) As a point dump, manpower and tax in your "core" accepted-culture States, production dev in high-value trade good provinces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Thanks -- is there an easy way to see forts and their associated ZoCs on the map view?

Also, any advice for starting a custom nation with a religion like Norse that is different from all its neighbors?

• Locked thread