Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

poemdexter posted:

I have around 20 deaths so far and have killed the past with 3 of the 4 characters.
jesus christ :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RoboCicero posted:

jesus christ :psyduck:

funny thing about that is he doesn't have any hours played in the game. hmmmmmmmmm.

edit: or any of the achievements unlocked. so either he bought the game twice or he's lying, either way he is a big ol tool

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 10, 2016

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Holy gently caress this gun :stare:

https://gfycat.com/UnderstatedSereneBee

I don't ever want this run to end, but it inevitably will because I found a cool as gently caress gun :negative:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I have died almost 60 times and only reached zone 5 once. This is a good, fun game and I look forward to dying in it some more.

The only character whose starting gun loadout is legitimately awful to do the first floor or two with is the Pilot. Jesus his pistol sucks poo poo. He becomes pretty insane later, though, thanks to his increased ammo capacity, shop discount, and lockpicks.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 10, 2016

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Welp, the Robot is pretty rough to play as.

It starts with a really good starting gun, probably the best in the game. Huge clip size, and good damage and accuracy, and the active item it starts with works great with it.
However, like the blue baby in Isaac, it has no health, just shields. And it doesn't seem like you can pick up heart containers with it either, so you're stuck with shields for the entire run. Better try not to get hit!
Oh yeah, and it has a passive that gives it electrified bullets from the get go.

Challenge character for sure.

Edit: It's pretty cute, too.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 10, 2016

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Broken Cog posted:

Welp, the Robot is pretty rough to play as.

It starts with a really good starting gun, probably the best in the game. Huge clip size, and good damage and accuracy, and the active item it starts with works great with it.
However, like the blue baby in Isaac, it has no health, just shields. And it doesn't seem like you can pick up heart containers with it either, so you're stuck with shields for the entire run. Better try not to get hit!
Oh yeah, and it has a passive that gives it electrified bullets from the get go.

Challenge character for sure.

Edit: It's pretty cute, too.

gently caress yeah he is, he's ready to meet some ladies and have a good time for sure.

But yeah, that sounds terrifying to attempt - I can't consistently get to the third floor boss yet, much less do anything without health.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just threw against the "final" boss because I didn't realize the swords he threw in the wall had to be killed until it was too late. I just figured they'd go away like everything else. :negative:

I had the space turtle and good god that lil guy is my buddy.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just picked up the Gilded Hydra, the gun you unlock by killing all 4 pasts, and it is pretty ridiculous. It's a shotgun with a clip of one that gets +1 clip size for each half heart of damage you have taken, but the kicker is that the damage is insane. Insane as in "takes 10% hp of the Bullet Throne in one shot if you hit all pellets". And they pierce! I must have killed Ammoconda and Kill Pillarts in less than 10 seconds each.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I got the RPG and Reload Roll and it's a wonderful combo. Rockets for days.

Finally got to level 4, then got stomped in the first room. This loving game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What's the best way to handle the revolver skeletons in the Forge anyway? I always seem to get beamed by their flail arms and I can really save on damage if I figure those jerks out.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Uh, I found a Bandana that quadruples the max ammo of any gun you pick up. Some of these endgame items are kinda ridiculous.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What's the best way to handle the revolver skeletons in the Forge anyway? I always seem to get beamed by their flail arms and I can really save on damage if I figure those jerks out.
Find some cover. If you have training with dodging beam attacks from the Oubliette boss and the Beholster, you can get some shots in while they're swinging their laser around.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Broken Cog posted:

Uh, I found a Bandana that quadruples the max ammo of any gun you pick up. Some of these endgame items are kinda ridiculous.

Find some cover. If you have training with dodging beam attacks from the Oubliette boss and the Beholster, you can get some shots in while they're swinging their laser around.

Oh no, I mean the one's that shoot ball and chains at you that want to become liches. The normal skeletons are pretty easy I think :v:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh no, I mean the one's that shoot ball and chains at you that want to become liches. The normal skeletons are pretty easy I think :v:

Oh yeah, those. Hide behind some cover so they shoot their fist at that, then pop out and fire at them while they're sending bullets out of their arms. Rinse and repeat until dead.
There should be some cover in any room you fight them in, if not, welp, do the best you can.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

13/f/cali posted:

Is there a way to force the camera to center on the player character? I keep getting shot with almost no time to dodge when somehow I'm in the bottom corner of the camera view and shots suddenly fly in from the bottom.

There's a setting in the options for "aim look" or something like that. crank that down or turn it off. It's what shifts the camera in the direction you're aiming.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Broken Cog posted:

Oh yeah, those. Hide behind some cover so they shoot their fist at that, then pop out and fire at them while they're sending bullets out of their arms. Rinse and repeat until dead.
There should be some cover in any room you fight them in, if not, welp, do the best you can.

Fair enough, when I tried to do that they outstretched the other arm and made a ring around me and I had no idea how to deal with it.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The normal liches are pretty easy unless the room is incredibly rude, see Bullet Hell. Be in their line of sight so they start winding up their arm then walk behind cover of some sort, even a table works, then just shoot at them from safely out of range of their arm bullet spam. I think if you're out of line of sight when that attack ends they do that circle thing instead, but I'm not sure honestly I've only seen it happen once.

I like this game more than Nuclear Throne since it's a little less twitchy but I definitely appreciate how much stronger/more reliable to get better guns it is in Nuclear Throne than this game, the amount of runs I've had to use the starting gun as the Pilot to kill a floor 1 boss despite opening both chests is absolutely dreadful.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

so let me get this straight: enter the gungeon is a game that doesn't give you guns?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

voltcatfish posted:

so let me get this straight: enter the gungeon is a game that doesn't give you guns?

No

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

It gives you guns but it's really stingy with actually good weapons and ammo refills.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I just wish I got more weird combinations more often. I can get to floor 5 now but man the first three are kind of a slog. Oh cool I got a water cannon and unfinished gun on Floor 1 and 2 and there's no keys, welp time to kill myself.

If I ever managed to a buff like Fat Bullets with the Marine his primary weapon would be pretty drat powerful but nope never.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I think it's cool that you can eventually skip ahead to later floors but I can only imagine how tough it can be.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

voltcatfish posted:

No people are being massive drama queens. I've never got to the third level without a small bundle of guns of varying usefulness strapped to my butt.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kuros posted:

I think it's cool that you can eventually skip ahead to later floors but I can only imagine how tough it can be.

If you do that, the Rat guy will be waiting for you and offer you some guns/items for free, so you're not starting completely bare.
Edit: I still probably wouldn't do it myself if I was planning on gunning for the end.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Fans posted:

No people are being massive drama queens. I've never got to the third level without a small bundle of guns of varying usefulness strapped to my butt.

I can make it to floor 4 using only the starter pistol for each class and saving any actual weapon I pick up for bosses, and I can usually enter Floor 4 with close to full health (though not necessarily any perfect boss clears). By that point, I will have hopefully found a weapon I can use during the floor because otherwise it starts taking too long to kill trash enemies to avoid taking damage from the sheer amount of bullets heading in my direction.

That being said, it isn't fun to be super stingy with weapon usage in a game centered around tons of cool weapons. I think the game could afford letting you have the floor 1 chests for free (like Binding of Isaac does) to lessen the feeling of getting RNG screwed by a lack of keys.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I started using Cheat Engine for infinite keys and I'm not sorry.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I haven't left floor 2 without a handful of useful guns in a while now, and it's uncommon for me to leave floor 1 without at least one (unless I'm going to the Oubliette), so I don't feel the game is as stingy as some others here.

I've said it before, but I think just adding a guaranteed key and ammo spawn to each store would solve a lot of people's problems.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
New patch, looks like it's the first one that does more than pure bug fixing. Highlights are mine.

quote:

Patch 1.0.3 (April 9th)
=====================================
Small adjustment to early game key balance
Added a DirectX dependency that may solve black screen issues for some players
Added D3D11 support to address pink screen and map issues for some players
Fixed a rare freeze while generating dungeons
Meta currency and NPC cell keys will now be auto collected when the player leaves the room
Fixed an issue where players could respawn inside walls after falling into a pit
Added safety checks to prevent players from dying to poison and fire just after boss death scenes
Fixed another issue where players could get stuck in elevators
Tiger projectiles will no longer break boss death scenes
Fixed a bug which could cause the Singularity to loop audio forever
Flying no longer prevents the player from entering the first secret floor
Fixed an issue where the Wallmonger would get stuck on the dying Cop
Shield of the Maiden now correctly stops the Beholster's beam
Fixed an issue where Snitch Bricks would reveal secret rooms which could not be opened with blanks
Limited the maximum aim assist value
Further reduces memory usage in the main menu
Fixed an issue where some Mac users had a different save location than intended

edit: I don't see a reason for basic keys and half hearts not to be auto-collected.

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 10, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Honestly, if the devs just made one of the floor 1 chests an immediately recognizable "gun chest" that always contained Gun (probably moderately lovely Gun but Gun all the same), people would probably complain less. Even if the Gun was almost always worse than any starting weapon other than the Pilot's awful piece of poo poo.

It's largely psychological, is what I'm saying. :smug:

I think this game is in a decent place, honestly. Some minor tweaking to make a couple of the bosses less egregiously out of line with their same-floor siblings, a couple passes to make the first few floors a little less prone to RNG cruelty, and we're golden.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 10, 2016

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Man, getting any sort of damage up passive completely wrecks the balance of normal enemies. Bullet hell when normal enemies die to two revolver shots is kind of pathetically easy.
Huh, there doesn't seem to be any unlocks for character specific Bullet Hell clears, at least this means I never have to play the convict or huntress again.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 10, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I brought the unfinished gun to the forge and the girl didn't finish it

I thought that would of been cool :(

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Nighthand posted:

There's a setting in the options for "aim look" or something like that. crank that down or turn it off. It's what shifts the camera in the direction you're aiming.

Thank you that was driving me nuts.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Anyone know what the Ballot does? I picked it up and it's pretty much a pin that says "I voted"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Anyone know what the Ballot does? I picked it up and it's pretty much a pin that says "I voted"

I heard it makes you cooler.

"Coolness" is an invisible stat that's basically luck -- better item drops and slightly faster item recharges. There are some items that make you cool when you have them, plus smoking cigarettes permanently makes you cooler in exchange for being bad for your health (i.e. it does 1/2 heart of damage to you).

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Demon head might be the best gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5pZ9S2SZXo

:lol: at forgetting I have double vision

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

well, the Raiden Trad gun does exactly what it says it does

and it does not give a single gently caress about walls

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
The bolter-analogue is pretty fantastic; huge bullets, great damage and knock back, and the crummy accuracy is remedied by the Marine's passive.

The boat/gun is probably my most hated gun so far; slow to fire, crap damage, and the bouncing projectiles really screw with your situational awareness when there's bullets filling the screen.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Worst gun is easily the super soaker.

Like the unfinished gun can still be alright funny enough.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
just as long as we're all clear about the best gun, the klobbe

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
rly like the ghost buster proton pack,gently caress the tshirt cannon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The challenge dude bet that I couldn't clear the next room using only the Klobb. Considering that I was blazing through the (third) floor with my starting pistol and I had ~3 hearts, I figured it would be a breeze. How bad could this gun be? It was pretty poo poo in Goldeneye, but still workable enough.

Pretty sure that dodgerolling into enemies to deal damage is more effective. The run ended in that room.