Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

jonathan posted:

FYI retro styled trailers are a thing now. Think "pro touring" for trailers

I've always liked small campers but dislike the idea of spending ridiculous money on one which is why I ended up with a '71.

I ended up paying the difference in moldy upholstery, rotten walls and leaky plumbing. It's been tremendous fun to work on, though.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Dealer here can't keep Shasta Airflytes in stock.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

jonathan posted:

In America that one is likely $55k to $75k. The nicest one I have been in is a Jayco Seismic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hwUE5qpGSg

The garage door levels and handrails pop up as a rear patio. On the side is another raised patio with guard rails, TV, sound and light system and cooler/bar. Also dual washrooms. One being a shower in the garage.

Pay attention to 3m:15s of that video

I'm all for enjoyable peace and quiet but I imagine some pretty cool lake parties with drunk 22 year old easily impressed females on that deck.

What the gently caress is wrong with people? It seems these, like luxury boats and aircraft, are designed by some of the most conservative backwards blind people you're ever likely to meet. Who sees a small space and thinks that dark woodgrain with pseudo antique moldings is going to make anything feel larger. Where's the light colours, light woodgrain, minimal design?

If I had the money for one of these I'd almost want to get an empty shell and deck it out from there but it would still have that overall cheap looking exterior where you can tell price rather than performance or suitability of use was the driving force behind the specification.

Give me a nicely done teardrop anyday.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Sandbagger SA posted:

It's definitely not very large but it's surprisingly roomy if you're not :btroll:

Edit: you fit in a Comanche, you'd be fine.

I'm 6' 6" tall, that bed looks cramped.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Aargh posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with people? It seems these, like luxury boats and aircraft, are designed by some of the most conservative backwards blind people you're ever likely to meet. Who sees a small space and thinks that dark woodgrain with pseudo antique moldings is going to make anything feel larger. Where's the light colours, light woodgrain, minimal design?

It's because the largest market are Olds.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Aargh posted:

Gonna refer you to my previous post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635328#post429964149

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aargh posted:

If I had the money for one of these I'd almost want to get an empty shell and deck it out from there but it would still have that overall cheap looking exterior where you can tell price rather than performance or suitability of use was the driving force behind the specification.

I don't know what any of this means. The materials are chosen because there are weight limits. The colours are chosen because who cares. Looks fine to me.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Aargh posted:

Shampoo posted:

It's because the largest market are Olds.

This

I know what you mean though, I daydream about doing something like this but on a smaller scale:

https://hofarc.com/portfolio/

Or one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH5h0qU4EQ4

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

iForge posted:

I'm 6' 6" tall, that bed looks cramped.

I'm 6 even and it's fine for me. I'd imagine you'd probably not be the most comfortable but it's what you give up for not needing two foot wide trailer mirrors.

For those interested, that is a normal twin sized mattress. If you can fit on a twin sized mattress, you're good to go.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 6, 2015

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007

Aargh posted:

I think this too. I was watching a video by the Wynns and apparently, it comes down to limited choices and government regulations. Everything has to be durable and fireproof. RV companies may only have 2 styles of cabinet doors to work with for example. If light wood isn't requested frequently, it's not going to be one of those 2 choices.

I follow Laura Sauve on Youtube. She did a nice redo of her RV and is available for design consultations.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

This

I know what you mean though, I daydream about doing something like this but on a smaller scale:

https://hofarc.com/portfolio/

Or one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH5h0qU4EQ4

Nice.

There's some nice global expedition vehicles out there too so its not all bad.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I guess I'm just out of the loop. I've always liked the look of dark stained hardwoods. The Irish pub type look, dark paneling etc.

There is a cozy warmth to it. With bright white, its looks like an office building lunch room. Clinical. The bright colours look good in a condo, but to me, it takes away a certain rustic cabin mood I want while I'm relaxing near a lake.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

jonathan posted:

There is a cozy warmth to it. With bright white, its looks like an office building lunch room. Clinical. The bright colours look good in a condo, but to me, it takes away a certain rustic cabin mood I want while I'm relaxing near a lake.

That's why you accessorise, maybe a nice throw draped across the couch, a bright simplistic artwork on the wall (yellows really brighten a space) or maybe some flowers.

/interior design chat.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That hofarc stuff is gorgeous. So clean and bright. :kiddo:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aargh posted:

That's why you accessorise, maybe a nice throw draped across the couch, a bright simplistic artwork on the wall (yellows really brighten a space) or maybe some flowers.

/interior design chat.

I am perfectly happy with how many of the modern ones come.

Here are a couple examples of what I am looking at (except lol this first one is 37' total length!)
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?requestSource=b&adId=1085955966 I wish they could build some sort of telescoping deck so I could shorten it up when not hauling toys.

Here's another one but I kind of don't want a 5th wheel, even if they do tow nicer.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-trail...gationFlag=true

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I went with a pale mint green paint for the interior because it's both light enough to maximize reflected light and more interesting than plain white paint.

Also the paint was free.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Someone offered to trade my Jeep for a '68 airstream.

Phone:
Have a 1968 airstream. 26' New tires/axles/water heater/brakes/upholstery/new shocks/water pump rebuilt/cork floors/ aluminum tanks/furnace just serviced. Very nice trailer Sleeps 4 Used once in two years.

My Jeep is worth around 15k CDN. Thoughts ?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I really want to do a school bus conversion, but I'm stymied by the fact that I'll probably never actually go anywhere with it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You'll never truly know how many Burning Mans you'll never drive your camperbus to unless you have a camper bus that you can not drive to Burning Man.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

I parted ways with a little bit of money.

Flat 6 diesel, 15 speed, proper tandems with proper drive. Midship mounted engine.

Sup Fuckers. CSB is back.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
What was it used for before?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
It was custom built for paramount pictures to haul grip equipment.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
"Grip Equipment" was basically your nickname in high school so this should be fun.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

"Grip Equipment" was basically your nickname in high school so this should be fun.

Whole lotta beer can storage in that.

What's the conversion plan? Looks like a rad bus there csb.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 15, 2015

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

cursedshitbox posted:

I parted ways with a little bit of money.

Flat 6 diesel, 15 speed, proper tandems with proper drive. Midship mounted engine.

Sup Fuckers. CSB is back.

It looks like a bus hosed a horse trailer. I like it. Saw that gallery you posted with the interior shots and it looks like pretty much a clean slate to do what-the-gently caress-ever with. Would be one hell of a toy hauler/mobile workshop.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
cause of the pintle hitch and gladhands, I'm going to tow the workshop behind it

No genset is planned, solar and lithium batteries, it'll be self contained as well.
bedroom in the back, bathroom and kitchen on the curbside. forward area open for dirtbike stowage/living quarters. Once a trailer is brought into the picture, it'll just become a living area.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

hahahaha :D

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

oops

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Since it's now spring and will be camping season soon let's lazarus this thread.

Have a line on a 2007 Trailcruiser 23QB as a trailer for the wife and I as a first (likely only) trailer. Fibreglass, queen bed, ac, 2x30lb tanks, seems to be decent if not fancy floorplan for not having a slide. Thoughts on trailcruisers? Anything obvious to look for in a 9 year old RV? Tow vehicle would be a 2015 Tacoma 4x4 4.0L V6 and trailer package.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 10, 2016

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
See if it has a modern switch mode 12v supply/breaker panel - the giveaways are that the new switchers look basically like giant PC power supplies, sometimes without cases; the old linear ones invariably will have a big heavy transformer about the size of a sixpack. Strong recommend to update the panel; I ripped out our old poo poo and replaced with a 60 amp Progressive Dynamics charger/fuse block/120v breaker panel and i have not thought about it once over the past 20 months of 24/7 living except for when we run two heaters on one circuit and pop the breaker.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

When did they start changing over? Is it a pretty straight forward retrofit if it doesn't?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Advent of switching power supplies was some time in the past five to ten years, that's why I say check first as even I couldn't say for sure what you have given the era. My '89 was a no-brainer

Swap is simple, hook up your 12v line to the battery, all the 12v circuits to the fuse panel, then the 120 circuits to the breaker panel - mine came with a 4-bay breaker panel so we used 8 mini breakers, then done. BIggest annoyance is dealing with all the stiff copper 120 wiring.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm going to buy a 5th wheel hitch. What do I need to know about mounting rails ?

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I think they're pretty much all the same and you will probably get a deal on a set with the hitch, if the aren't included.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Reason I ask, I'm seeing lots of good condition hitches for sale on Kijiji but none of them come with rails. So are the rails unique to the brand or is there a standard ? Do different rails match different trucks or are they all the same and you just drill and bolt ?

This is going on a 2011 Ram 2500 long box crew

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'd call a hitch place and ask them, they ought to know better than most of us.

I wish I could answer your question.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
If it is one of the major hitch manufacturers they will almost always work with a universal hitch rail kit. If you find one you like you can cross reference it before you buy.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to figure out how to get the largest-area camper I can, but keep it below 1500 pounds, so I can tow it with a compact car.

The best option I've seen so far is the Trailmanor, this model has a dry weight of 2050 pounds and is a hard-wall pop-up so it should be even easier to tow since the aerodynamics are good: http://trailmanor.com/wordpress/2417-sport-series/

It's still 500 pounds too heavy though. I'm trying to figure out how practical it would be to reduce the weight further.

You can see here is has a steel chassis, so I could save a few hundred pounds by removing it and replacing it with aluminum: http://trailmanor.com/wordpress/superior-construction/

Besides that it would come down to alloy wheels instead of steel, aluminum or fiberglass propane tanks, and replacing appliances (swap fridge for mini-fridge, etc) and other deletions.

Failing that, the only other option I can see is these modular "Teal Tailfeather" panels:

http://www.tealinternational.com/TailFeather/

You bring your own trailer bed, then put those panels together on top of it like Legos. They're claiming the weight for a 5x10 trailer is just 1,100 pounds including the trailer. But, they seem to be on some kind of hiatus and there's no links to buy the panels. That while they're amazingly utilitarian, like me, they're also super fugly, like me. They're not as much space as the Trailmanor, though the insulation looks spectacular.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 1, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to get the largest-area camper I can, but keep it below 1500 pounds, so I can tow it with a compact car.

The best option I've seen so far is the Trailmanor, this model has a dry weight of 2050 pounds and is a hard-wall pop-up so it should be even easier to tow since the aerodynamics are good: http://trailmanor.com/wordpress/2417-sport-series/

It's still 500 pounds too heavy though. I'm trying to figure out how practical it would be to reduce the weight further.

You can see here is has a steel chassis, so I could save a few hundred pounds by removing it and replacing it with aluminum: http://trailmanor.com/wordpress/superior-construction/

Besides that it would come down to alloy wheels instead of steel, aluminum or fiberglass propane tanks, and replacing appliances (swap fridge for mini-fridge, etc) and other deletions.

Failing that, the only other option I can see is these modular "Teal Tailfeather" panels:

http://www.tealinternational.com/TailFeather/

You bring your own trailer bed, then put those panels together on top of it like Legos. They're claiming the weight for a 5x10 trailer is just 1,100 pounds including the trailer. But, they seem to be on some kind of hiatus and there's no links to buy the panels. That while they're amazingly utilitarian, like me, they're also super fugly, like me. They're not as much space as the Trailmanor, though the insulation looks spectacular.

Anyone else have any ideas?

There was a canadian compay called boler who made little trailers in the 70s that were supposed to be around 1000lbs.

You'd be looking at about 5 grand for a trailer that needs a reno, but you could go nuts all over the inside with lighter materials.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-trailer-camper/calgary/beautiful-13-boler-completely-remodeled/1168904765?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
This thread sparked a long dormant question for me - when looking at trailers that could be towed with a small car Uhaul's had what seemed to be ridiculously high empty weights. Even this tiny "sport" trailer is listed at 535 lbs. Like I understand that these things are steel beams and wood (and in the sport thing's case, fiberglass) but that still seems crazily heavy. Are these weights accurate, or is Uhaul backwards on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Uhaul vehicles and trailers are lowest-bidder dogshit garbage. I wouldn't be surprised if they were made out of pot metal sand-cast in some guy's back yard. They're not paying for the gas to move it, why should they make it light?

There's a reason that 55mph sign shows up in your mirrors

• Locked thread