Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i would like to hit things with shields though, and i assume one circle of pelt will make those skills useless later on.

Inflammatory fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Do not take more than one circle of Pelt, ever.

If you're new to class builds and looking at your options, check the official forums. Each class area of the forums has a guide of sorts that will at least point out each classes strengths and weaknesses, and the same for the skills.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

killstealing posted:

I find it pretty hard to figure out where to start out leveling honestly, and not being able to respec chosen circles hurts my heart

Korean game design culture doesn't believe in things like "user friendliness" or "staples in MMOs for over a decade".

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

RottenK posted:

I went Swordsman 1 Highlander 1 Barbarian 1, hoping to eventually get fencer.

What stats and skills should i use? So far I put almost everything in dex, with tiny bits of strength and spirit (for SP). Mostly using Cartar Stroke, Cleave and Helm Chopper.

Is there anything that lets your damage scale with Dex? Because I think you probably need strength, and lots of it. I made a similar mistake with my archer.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Clarste posted:

Is there anything that lets your damage scale with Dex? Because I think you probably need strength, and lots of it. I made a similar mistake with my archer.

Some people say that pumping Dex is the way because skills have enough base damage as it is so it's better to max critical hit chance. No idea if it's true though, but decided to try. If nothing else, not missing and evading often is pretty neat.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

RottenK posted:

Some people say that pumping Dex is the way because skills have enough base damage as it is so it's better to max critical hit chance. No idea if it's true though, but decided to try. If nothing else, not missing and evading often is pretty neat.

Strength also increases the crit bonus though. Not sure what the exact formula is.

Edit: Come to think of it, it probably depends on the kind of move you're using. Some just have flat damage, and others have a percentage (plus flat damage). The percentage probably multiplies your strength bonus? Looks like Fencers only have flat damage skills.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 8, 2016

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Sophism posted:

Korean game design culture doesn't believe in things like "user friendliness" or "staples in MMOs for over a decade".

they do things their own way and I respect that

Drium
Jun 24, 2015

killstealing posted:

they do things their own way and I respect that
if not for that all MMOs would be WoW clones

let's be happy we have a RO clone instead

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Drium posted:

It's not quite an RO clone. It still borrows the WoW standby of "travel through zones guided by quests" as opposed to the classic "keep killing things endlessly with no goal in sight."

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
My friend went priest priest paladin and wants to go priest again now, but it's not letting him select it, has anyone else had or fixed this issue?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Outside of Cataphracts (because they get to ride guinea pigs), are there any specific really cool or really awful classes? I'm interested in trying this game out but this is way too many choices for me

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Drium posted:

Pretty sure you can have gorgeous faux-2d art direction and quirky classes while still offering better respec options. And better party play options. And no roller-coaster experience gain charts. And better mouse controls. And an option to turn off the broken censor that up until recently censored the word "class" in a game where talking about character builds is basically mandatory.

It's a fun game. Despite it trying very hard not to be.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

DoubleDonut posted:

Outside of Cataphracts (because they get to ride guinea pigs), are there any specific really cool or really awful classes? I'm interested in trying this game out but this is way too many choices for me

don't play rodelero, or bokor, don't take more than 1 in swordsman

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Bashez posted:

My friend went priest priest paladin and wants to go priest again now, but it's not letting him select it, has anyone else had or fixed this issue?

Quoting myself here, is it possible you aren't allowed to go priest twice, select something else, and then go priest again?

Edit: Looking up more stuff it seems that you can jump around. I don't know why he can't advance to priest again.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
As far as I can tell there's not really a good way to use muskets or cannons AND be able to ride guinea pigs, since the archer class that gets to ride things seems to exclusively use bow and pistol, which seems like a real shame

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Bashez posted:

Quoting myself here, is it possible you aren't allowed to go priest twice, select something else, and then go priest again?

Edit: Looking up more stuff it seems that you can jump around. I don't know why he can't advance to priest again.

Yeah there shouldn't be a reason he can't pick it again, that was how the old system worked before they changed it.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

DoubleDonut posted:

As far as I can tell there's not really a good way to use muskets or cannons AND be able to ride guinea pigs, since the archer class that gets to ride things seems to exclusively use bow and pistol, which seems like a real shame

If you can settle for pistols, The Schwartz Rider can be for you

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
They should just change the name of this game to EXP Card Horder

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
so why is it a bad idea to just use the cards as soon as you get them, and/or where are you getting all of those

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Inflammatory posted:

so why is it a bad idea to just use the cards as soon as you get them, and/or where are you getting all of those

use cards to help get over exp humps and keep within level range of zones so you won't get exp penalized

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Inflammatory posted:

I basically just do all the quests in an area that is within reasonable range of my level while always trying to gather together groups of mobs to AoE down on the way to quest objectives, regardless of if I have a quest to kill them or not. I 100% every map, and I don't use any cards I get. When there are no more areas in range or I am around one of the EXP resets (46, 86, etc), I use cards until there is an area in range. In the 70-90 range, I was using +/- 6 or 7 as reasonable range, but most importantly, don't do any areas where there are mobs more than 10 levels lower than you, or you won't get EXP from them.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

If you're as bad as me, and play Pyromancer, you may have completely missed the fact that you can hit your fireballs around. Using mouse mode I never noticed the "sub-weapon" combat binding (defaults to C), which makes you swing your rod/staff, doing this on a fireball will push them around.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

gibbed posted:

If you're as bad as me, and play Pyromancer, you may have completely missed the fact that you can hit your fireballs around. Using mouse mode I never noticed the "sub-weapon" combat binding (defaults to C), which makes you swing your rod/staff, doing this on a fireball will push them around.

I always forget that this is a thing that exists. It would be so much nicer if I could just bind it to one of my mouse buttons over a keyboard key.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Can you not set your mouse buttons to keyboard strokes? Even my eight year old g5 can do that

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I can't figure out as a Cataphract how to hit enemies with other enemies i've impaled on my spear. Using a controller most of the time rather than keyboard.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
How important is INT and SPR to swordsmen? Specifically swordsmen going into a PVE/tank role? Now that I have more abilities in Peltast C1I've found myself chugging potions a lot. All my stats right now are mainly CON, with maybe one point of STR for every 2/3 CON, and some DEX when I feel like it.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Pierson posted:

How important is INT and SPR to swordsmen? Specifically swordsmen going into a PVE/tank role? Now that I have more abilities in Peltast C1I've found myself chugging potions a lot. All my stats right now are mainly CON, with maybe one point of STR for every 2/3 CON, and some DEX when I feel like it.

If your goal is tanking then spirit will give you magic defense which isn't useless but I don't know how good it is. Otherwise learn to love potions. You will go through them at an astounding rate. It will seem unnecessarily expensive at first but it's worth it for the increase in kill speed. I don't leave town without 50 stamina pills and each potion.

For an update on my friend that couldn't advance his class he hadn't gone to his starting town trainer, only the one in Orsha. I didn't want to insult his intelligence by asking him that and just assumed he had already tried it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Bashez posted:

For an update on my friend that couldn't advance his class he hadn't gone to his starting town trainer, only the one in Orsha. I didn't want to insult his intelligence by asking him that and just assumed he had already tried it.
Don't you normally just pick a class from the Advancement button and then press backspace to warp to the relevant trainer?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

INT isn't worth anything on a swordsman, and spr has really low priority. Something like 20 would be the most I'd put into it, and drink potions or use a bonfire the rest of the time. All skills get 100% attack + listed flat damage, unless they specify a greater than 100% amount. Dex is really good because when you hit with some attack (say seism from barbarian) and it does 9k damage, adding in a couple hundred from strength isn't that impressive. You'll want at least some of each, since str increases crit damage and for multi-hit skills basically multiply that, but remember that you're capping at 280 for level (plus a various amounts of extra stat points) so you have a ton of room to play with.

On cards, ignore the poo poo people are saying about the xp curve. Save your cards to keep your level around the level of the maps you're on. Do both the klapedia path and the orsha path for max cards. Try to run dungeons when you can (50, 90, 115, 130, 145, 160). Until you're around 130 you shouldn't be in a spot where you're having trouble keeping up with the maps if you haven't been missing quests.

Drium
Jun 24, 2015
The best way not to need to grind at all ever is to do what I do. Save a copy of the map on your desktop, or print it if you want, and...

http://puu.sh/oclOW/8c39a6f4da.png

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm just following the list of zones by level: http://wiki.tosbase.com/wiki/Field_Maps

Umm... I know I'm commited to an auto-attack build at this point, but what exactly makes Musketeer a good choice for this? Are muskets in any way better at auto-attacking than other weapons?

Drium
Jun 24, 2015

Clarste posted:

I'm just following the list of zones by level: http://wiki.tosbase.com/wiki/Field_Maps

Umm... I know I'm commited to an auto-attack build at this point, but what exactly makes Musketeer a good choice for this? Are muskets in any way better at auto-attacking than other weapons?
I wouldn't do the zones by-level like that.

You're going to lost a poo poo-ton of time travelling around, which is pretty boring and actually gets kind of expensive after a while.

I usually try to do zones in bursts of 2-3 that are connected, hence using the map.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Clarste posted:

not really? It's almost certainly better to use a 1h crossbow with an offhand item that adds a chunk of bonus damage, like arde dagger for example

you can either roll musketeer for its high damage single target skills, or roll cannoneer for its high damage aoe skills

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Drium posted:

I wouldn't do the zones by-level like that.

You're going to lost a poo poo-ton of time travelling around, which is pretty boring and actually gets kind of expensive after a while.

I usually try to do zones in bursts of 2-3 that are connected, hence using the map.

I have to go back to town pretty regularly anyway, to train Attributes and whatnot, so jumping around a bit isn't really any more of a problem. And some zones are fairly isolated so I forget about them otherwise. I wouldn't hop back and forth across the map for no reason at all, but proceeding too far in a single chain just makes you overleveled for the other chains.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I updated my tool to show the appropriates zones to level. I don't have enough info on the high level zones to show how they chain properly, but everything from 1 to 180 or so should be pretty smooth.

It also shows a simple arrow indicating where the area is in regards to its closest city on the map.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 10, 2016

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Clarste posted:

So there is a higher level than 280? Or whatever the highest dungeon is that is listed?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BabyRyoga posted:

So there is a higher level than 280? Or whatever the highest dungeon is that is listed?

Oh, I hadn't scrolled down that far. Yeah, the map's your best friend then.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Hello friends.

I have two extra temple shooter cards. I don't want anything for them (though if you want to give me the 30k silver they cost me, that's cool). If you get to Sorcerer and want one, you just have to be able to beat the card in a card battle.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i finally got my shooter after much complaining today! it owns and if you are a sorcerer you need it in your life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drium
Jun 24, 2015

Tsurupettan posted:

Hello friends.

I have two extra temple shooter cards. I don't want anything for them (though if you want to give me the 30k silver they cost me, that's cool). If you get to Sorcerer and want one, you just have to be able to beat the card in a card battle.
How do card battles work? I'd love a copy for my secondary card slot.

• Locked thread