Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

stinkles1112 posted:

Gooblin Dark-Dwellers is my favorite card in the format and I got a spontaneous erection when he did that, then I imagined that in a RBG list with Kolaghan's Command and now I know what I'm building for FNM

The value!!!!

Traverse the Ulvenwald for Dank-Dwellers, cast Dwellers flashing back Traverse the Ulvenwald for Dank-Dwellers VALUE!!!!

But poo poo now I feel like Jund could be A Deck again. Fuuuuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Anybody have that list of those decks Kenji/Numot (I can't remember dude's last name) built?

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Bunch of deck ideas from Kenji Tsumura, via mtggoldfish:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/14-shadows-over-innistrad-decks-by-kenji-tsumura

Most of them look pretty janky. The w/b pact deck looks pretty sweet though, has better ways of getting rid of the pact than the old g/b and u/b pact decks did.

I needed to go back two more pages.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
5th Edition white bordered forests.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

My hero

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

Anybody have that list of those decks Kenji/Numot (I can't remember dude's last name) built?

I needed to go back two more pages.

That is not streamer and mediocre player Kenji Egashira's experimental decks, that is former best player in the world Kenji Tsumura's experimental decks.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Elyv posted:

That is not streamer and mediocre player Kenji Egashira's experimental decks, that is former best player in the world Kenji Tsumura's experimental decks.

My bad!

I never watch streamer Kenji's stuff, I watched him in LRR's Shadows Over Innistrad pre-prerelease and saw "Kenji guy posted some decks" and welp.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

C-Euro posted:

A goon after my own heart. Apparently the store near my place (which I thought only did EDH/draft) did a Modern FNM Easter weekend that I didn't learn about until this past week :( I, too, would have been the mill goober in that room.

I really need to update it. It's going to be a big change from just auto winning because no one else plays eldrazi

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
People who keep their lands in one giant pile are just the worst.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Apparently my local card shop managed to get a brick of miscut card packs for SoI. They've got square corners instead of the usual shape and the local shop isn't taking them. Some dude showed a pic of miscut sorin, arlinn, and other high rarity cards. How common has this been?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Apparently my local card shop managed to get a brick of miscut card packs for SoI. They've got square corners instead of the usual shape and the local shop isn't taking them. Some dude showed a pic of miscut sorin, arlinn, and other high rarity cards. How common has this been?

my friend at the prerelease got a miscut arlinn, the bottom half of hte card is completely square and its cut right through the name of the card

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Seems like SOI standard has two decks: black decks and white decks.

Obviously black/white decks fall into one of those camps.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Isn't the UR control guy on 7+ wins?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

End of Life Guy posted:

http://whatsinstandard.com

It's important to note that any printing of a card is legal if it has been reprinted in a standard legal set. You can use any old printing of Duress for instance, which was re-printed in Dragons of Tarkir.

Thank you so much for this link. I have no further doubts or questions on the subject after that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So I have to say that the u/w midrange deck is better than I expected. Saying that, I feel like the deck isn't good if it doesn't draw always watching or had it countered/discarded/removed. I have utterly wrecked it with b/w control by simply prioritizing always watching as a target for discard and removal. After 12 rounds of magic between fnm and an IQ today, I was 5/0 against it dropping a single game. Maybe there it was the lack of people playing good lists or people putting time into the deck, but I am skeptical.

Between me and my circle of magic friends, we currently have a full 75 of u/w midrange sleeved up, a few b/w control, u/r eldrazi, and a surprisingly good/fun aristocrats deck. Really, really liking new standard.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Got that Aristocrats list you mentioned? I need to get behind the meat grinder again.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Got that Aristocrats list you mentioned? I need to get behind the meat grinder again.

I knew someone would ask and I totally don't have it handy on me. I will look into posting it tomorrow.

Drana's Emissary, cutthroat, Kalastria Healer, a few dranas, lantern scout, a few gideons, plus removal/hand disruption/creature recursion. There is some other stuff in there but I am not 100% sure from memory.

Basically a deck that hopes to not face languish, but kind of thrives in all the matchups it doesn't.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

What, no Lilianas?

What have we come to?!

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 10, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I've seen a lot of misprints with this set. The box we used for a draft on Friday had a whole bunch of uncommons where the front sides were faded / underprinted enough that the cards almost looked silver-bordered.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Are any Tribal decks making an impact? I liked the look of Vampires quite a bit, and Zombies are a fun tribe.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Got to say hoogland's g/b delirium midrange deck that is on the replay right now looks fun as hell.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Yo just so you know my creatureless UB pact deck fuckin works. It works against BW control, it works against Eldrazi Ramp, it works against UW midrange, and it works against RW aggro, at least. It doesn't fold as hard to hate as I thought it would, either. I cast pact eleven times against WB control. Its resilience is pretty rad--on turn 5 the ojutai player had always watching, a Knight token an Ojutai, and a Gideon, one of the tougher board states to deal with and something I'm sure we'll all be seeing a lot of, I was at nine life and still won with a Tendrils->TO the slaughter on my turn. All he had left was reflector mages and declarations. My nightmare scenario of getting my only way to get Pact back to my hand TKS'd still looms but this is a pretty good deck. Oh and it was like seventy bucks

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Bugsy posted:

Got to say hoogland's g/b delirium midrange deck that is on the replay right now looks fun as hell.

I played a couple of games with BBD's GW deck here and that deck was super fun too; for a deck filled with 2 and 3 mana creatures with 4 anthems it grinds pretty hard

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Sharzak posted:

Yo just so you know my creatureless UB pact deck fuckin works. It works against BW control, it works against Eldrazi Ramp, it works against UW midrange, and it works against RW aggro, at least. It doesn't fold as hard to hate as I thought it would, either. I cast pact eleven times against WB control. Its resilience is pretty rad--on turn 5 the ojutai player had always watching, a Knight token an Ojutai, and a Gideon, one of the tougher board states to deal with and something I'm sure we'll all be seeing a lot of, I was at nine life and still won with a Tendrils->TO the slaughter on my turn. All he had left was reflector mages and declarations. My nightmare scenario of getting my only way to get Pact back to my hand TKS'd still looms but this is a pretty good deck. Oh and it was like seventy bucks

Here's a stupid question: how do you win? Decking the other person?

e: Oh, Demonic Pact.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Hitting them with Pact for four damage a pop and recurring it to your hand to do that over and over. It doesn't win before turn 15 or so

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chamale posted:

Are any Tribal decks making an impact? I liked the look of Vampires quite a bit, and Zombies are a fun tribe.

Zombies are bad, Vampires are just as bad but look like they're good. The problem is that discarding poo poo is an actual drawback, but people keep treating discard like a feature even though you very rarely have enough mana for it actually work that way.

Zombies are mostly a recursion deck, but the best reanimation spell is Ever After and targeting Sidisi and Dragonlord Silumgar, and then saccing your opponent's guy is a much more powerful play than getting a pair of Relentless Dead or something.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

Humans are doing well. W/U seems to be necessary for reflector mage, and the sideboard counter spells.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Sharzak posted:

I've been playing U/B creatureless control with sphinx's tutelage as a wincon instead of pacts since Oath based on very similar reasoning. I'll probably try out your pact version just cause it has more fun cards.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Angry Grimace posted:

Seems like SOI standard has two decks: black decks and white decks.

Obviously black/white decks fall into one of those camps.

What about attempted rushdown decks like this one that have a lot in Red and only go into W/B for retrieval and removal?

Because I think I got something there.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Have we seen any good aggro decks in action yet? I was excited for some vampire beatdown times before we all found out it stinks.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

that looks like a pile of jank.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Sharzak posted:

Where's a list?

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Entropic posted:

I've seen a lot of misprints with this set. The box we used for a draft on Friday had a whole bunch of uncommons where the front sides were faded / underprinted enough that the cards almost looked silver-bordered.

They're going to need to shift the start of each set's development back a couple weeks to allow for more printing time before launch. These errors are coming from under-maintenanced machines, or under-trained operators.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Languish seems fantastic against all these decks.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Are the SCG hosts being willfully obtuse for the sake of sportsmanship when they're talking about these guys at 8-1 don't know what's in each others deck?

I assume later in the night if you know you made day two once you're back in your hotel you look and see who all the other players you're going up against and what they were playing throughout the day and take notes on what they were playing in their earlier match ups or they have their friends tell them if they were watching the stream or whatever.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

That looks like a sealed deck from multiple blocks; there's no consistency and no plan.

TheLoser posted:

Have we seen any good aggro decks in action yet? I was excited for some vampire beatdown times before we all found out it stinks.

I wasn't watching for a lot of yesterday, but don't think so.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheLoser posted:

There's at least 1 w/u humans list 8-1 going into day 2. Lots of people trying various mono white or w/x decks that are pretty aggressive.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Shaheen Soorani is playing zero copies of Declaration in Stone in his Esper Dragons deck and called it bad outside of aggro decks in his tech.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Shaheen Soorani is playing zero copies of Declaration in Stone in his Esper Dragons deck and called it bad outside of aggro decks in his tech.

I am actually shocked esper Dragons made day two.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

I am actually shocked esper Dragons made day two.

You're surprised a deck that didn't lose much from rotation did ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Anguished Unmaking and Sorin are decent pickups too.

• Locked thread