Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

ScrubLeague posted:

One of our cats has grown fond of bringing us crickets through the cat door which is kind of adorable but also hey please don't bring crickets into the house thanks.

Pepper used to chase butterflies outside and then catch them and bring them inside to show me before taking them back outside to eat them. She's a very considerate animal. She also used to take her stuffed gosling toy outside on excursions but be sure to always bring it safely back inside again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Reik posted:

How does her eye look on that side? That would be the only thing I'd worry about. Like the other poster said if it doesn't look infected then just keep it clean, but if there seems to be any swelling or anything around the eye it might warrant a trip or at least pictures sent to the vet or something.

Her eye looks fine, and she is still acting quite normal.

Here is what her nose looks like. Crusty around the edges, and at least a full mm to 2mm thick.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah that looks fine. It's not pussy, er pus-sy or inflamed and if she's leaving it alone, so should you.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Bina posted:

Her eye looks fine, and she is still acting quite normal.

Here is what her nose looks like. Crusty around the edges, and at least a full mm to 2mm thick.

Cat is adorable. That's my diagnosis.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

duckfarts posted:

WOOD PELLETS, SON

so i got this life-changing* litter box
*in terms of taking care of my dumb cats

link if you care

• Put wood/pine/fiber pellets in the top (just a layer, don't put in a fuckload; it'll make it harder for the dust to fall down)
  • When your cats pee, the fiber pellets turn to sawdust and fall through the grate to the collection tray below
  • Cleaning the box is basically moving the pellets around with a scoop a bit to make sure all the dust falls down, then
  • - use tongs to put the poop in a small plastic bag and tie it closed for disposal
  • - remove the collection tray and flush the sawdust every once in a while
  • If the pellets get really small, you can flush them and put in new pellets

This is basically awesome because:
  • You don't have to sift and lift out clumps that break apart; cleaning is pretty easy to deal with
  • No dust problems
  • No tracking because the pellets are huge
  • My cats don't smell like the litter because the litter or litter dust doesn't cling to their fur
  • You can be kinda lazy about it sometimes because the sawdust won't smell and the tray can hold a lot
  • I can flush the litter
  • You tend not to waste that much litter
  • The litter is really loving cheap, probably cheaper in the states since you can just buy wood pellets meant for stoves from a hardware store or something i'm told
  • Maybe it's more eco-friendly or some bullshit like that. I dunno

Last, you can just DIY the box if you want by drilling a bunch of small holes or slots in the bottom of a tray, or even just putting a bin under one of those double-sift tray sets you can get(depending on the hole size of the sift tray):

THAT SAID, some cats only like clay litters because of the small grain size, and it won't prevent litter from getting kicked out of the box.

This was from a while ago, but I'm intrigued. Does the wet sawdust dry out eventually? Is tracking really that unlikely? I think it is, since the cat never directly steps in the sawdust and the pellets are pretty big (though that doesn't preclude my rear end in a top hat cat from throwing them everywhere anyway). The box looks pretty small, does a cat fit comfortably in it?

EDIT: More questions - what kind of litter do you use with it? Does it work with any old wood pellets, or do you need special types of litter? How well do pellets break down when wet? Will they break down to dust completely, or is it possible for a pellet to only partially dissolve? If so, how does that work with litterbox cleanliness and odor? Is the litter flushable? Apparently so! But I worry a little about flushing wood...

EDIT2: oh my god there's a commercial for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x_K2ocK5Cg

Also, apparently you have to buy specialized paper trays for the sawdust? I don't wanna have to do that, so can I just reuse one over and over?

Also, do dissolved pellets fall into the tray on their own when pissed on, or do you have to sift the box to get the dust to fall down? And how often do your cats kick the pellets out of the box and get the entire loving bathroom covered in litter god loving dammit ugh

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 6, 2016

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pollyanna posted:

This was from a while ago, but I'm intrigued. Does the wet sawdust dry out eventually? Is tracking really that unlikely? I think it is, since the cat never directly steps in the sawdust and the pellets are pretty big (though that doesn't preclude my rear end in a top hat cat from throwing them everywhere anyway). The box looks pretty small, does a cat fit comfortably in it?

EDIT: More questions - what kind of litter do you use with it? Does it work with any old wood pellets, or do you need special types of litter? How well do pellets break down when wet? Will they break down to dust completely, or is it possible for a pellet to only partially dissolve? If so, how does that work with litterbox cleanliness and odor? Is the litter flushable? Apparently so! But I worry a little about flushing wood...

EDIT2: oh my god there's a commercial for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x_K2ocK5Cg

Also, apparently you have to buy specialized paper trays for the sawdust? I don't wanna have to do that, so can I just reuse one over and over?

Also, do dissolved pellets fall into the tray on their own when pissed on, or do you have to sift the box to get the dust to fall down? And how often do your cats kick the pellets out of the box and get the entire loving bathroom covered in litter god loving dammit ugh

that commercial is loving awesome; japanese cat ladies approve

so, your questions poorly answered:
  • the sawdust is usually pretty dry; it only really gets "thicker" if the cat pee goes straight through the grille to the bottom dust/tray. it's a slightly damp powder, but never doughy
  • if you use clay anything right now, tracking will be improved considerably. i might find a piece or two in the living room, but i never have to deal with the "ugh what's sand doing here on the bed/couch/sofa/etc". I never get pellets ending up anywhere but the floor, and i don't have carpet
  • i have a medium-medium-large cat and she's fine in there. I did take out that front "step" part to give them more box space
  • pine pellets, which i think most of these pellet litters are made of. i used this for a bag:

then switched to this because they were out of that later

the first one had longer pellets with some shiny dark brown exterior(that part dissolves when it gets wet), and the current ones are shorter pellets that aren't as shiny. I like the first one a bit more, but they're both fine. Both bags were about $12 for me, so it's a good deal. You can probably use other wood pellets; if you're not sure, just google to see if people are using that one or not and how it's working out
  • the pellets don't instantly become all dust; you do end up getting little pellet frags in there, but they're dry and not tainted and gross like old clay litter gets and when they get small enough, they go through the grate too. worst case you just dump a tray of lovely frags once a month if you're picky i guess
  • the paper trays are for suckers; the only real benefit of those is the little sheet that's silver-ion treated, which is a way to get rid of odors. Otherwise, it's just a way to dump the dust cleanly. I just take the plastic tray (no cardboard tray in it at all) over to a toilet and use a scoop to dump the dust out of one corner into the toilet as it's flushing. It usually takes a couple flushes because i'm not dumping all the dust in at once like an idiot
  • flushing it's fine; it's basically like flushing toilet paper, and probably better easier on your pipes because the dust doesn't hold together. the sawdust is light, and not heavy like clay; i remember getting a clay litter a long time ago that was advertised as flushable, and fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that
  • most of the dust goes down by itself, but i do have to toss it around for all of it to go through and it's what i do when i do a cleaning/poop harvest
  • if your cats are gonna kick some out, they're gonna kick some out. my solution was to have the entrance kinda facing a wall to limit the reach of any kicked out litter

I can take a photo or short video of the thing if you want; again, the box itself isn't so much the magic thing since you can just DIY it.

look at all these :words: about pee pee poo poo doo doo ka ka

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
So, I went out with tiger again, and alas, no dapper poses, but here's a few pictures :)

This is Tiger.

She enjoys:

Hanging out in boxes.

Terrorizing my boyfriend.

And rolling around on the door step.

Here she is eating some grass:

Being terrible at posing:

And trying to get on the neighbor's plot;

I love my little fluffball :3:

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Vampess posted:

This is Tiger.
I love my little fluffball :3:
What a beautiful kitty! She looks like a fluffier version of my Cinnamon :3:

I am tempted to try my cats on a harness soon. Even if I just take them out in our(teeny tiny) garden when the weather's nice, I'd love to see them sniffing about in the grass!

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I'm tempted to try that wooden pellet litter, but all those products are outside the US. Do you know of any brands or equivalent products that are available here? Thanks!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Unzip and Attack posted:

I'm tempted to try that wooden pellet litter, but all those products are outside the US. Do you know of any brands or equivalent products that are available here? Thanks!

Just look up pellet litter on Amazon and you'll find a bunch. MAKE SURE IT'S NON-CLUMPING THOUGH.

Sea Pancake
Dec 2, 2013
I have had it with my idiot cats and their litter box shenanigans.

They think the most fun thing is to sling litter out of the box post-use. Bonus points if they kick poo poo out as well. Can anyone recommend a litter box that will mitigate this literal shitstorm? Should we be using a covered box?

Also, we are currently using Tidy Cats. Is there another litter we should try that won't track as much? We've tried the crystal litter and Yesterday's News but those aren't very scoop-able, meaning we have to dump the whole thing every day or the piss puddles collect on the bottom of the box.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I had a dream last night that I fell on the floor and my cats had emptied the litter boxes in giant mounds all over the place. I could practically make snow-angels with the litter. I was so disappointed in them until I woke up and I felt proud that my cats had enough sense.

Sea Pancake posted:

I have had it with my idiot cats and their litter box shenanigans.
I go with a high-walled box which works for the most part. As far as tracking litter around all I can do is buy those tiny floor mats and dust-buster it up. I usually go with a clumping odor neutralizing non-scented litter. If you don't clean it every other day or it goes so long without being completely refreshed the room will start smelling like cat-piss, even with my super duper air filter.

Duckfarts suggests using wood pellets:

duckfarts posted:

WOOD PELLETS, SON
so i got this life-changing* litter box
*in terms of taking care of my dumb cats

link if you care
  • Put wood/pine/fiber pellets in the top (just a layer, don't put in a fuckload; it'll make it harder for the dust to fall down)
  • When your cats pee, the fiber pellets turn to sawdust and fall through the grate to the collection tray below
  • Cleaning the box is basically moving the pellets around with a scoop a bit to make sure all the dust falls down, then
  • - use tongs to put the poop in a small plastic bag and tie it closed for disposal
  • - remove the collection tray and flush the sawdust every once in a while
  • If the pellets get really small, you can flush them and put in new pellets
This is basically awesome because:
  • You don't have to sift and lift out clumps that break apart; cleaning is pretty easy to deal with
  • No dust problems
  • No tracking because the pellets are huge
  • My cats don't smell like the litter because the litter or litter dust doesn't cling to their fur
  • You can be kinda lazy about it sometimes because the sawdust won't smell and the tray can hold a lot
  • I can flush the litter
  • You tend not to waste that much litter
  • The litter is really loving cheap, probably cheaper in the states since you can just buy wood pellets meant for stoves from a hardware store or something i'm told
  • Maybe it's more eco-friendly or some bullshit like that. I dunno
Last, you can just DIY the box if you want by drilling a bunch of small holes or slots in the bottom of a tray, or even just putting a bin under one of those double-sift tray sets you can get(depending on the hole size of the sift tray):

THAT SAID, some cats only like clay litters because of the small grain size, and it won't prevent litter from getting kicked out of the box.

duckfarts posted:

• the sawdust is usually pretty dry; it only really gets "thicker" if the cat pee goes straight through the grille to the bottom dust/tray. it's a slightly damp powder, but never doughy
  • if you use clay anything right now, tracking will be improved considerably. i might find a piece or two in the living room, but i never have to deal with the "ugh what's sand doing here on the bed/couch/sofa/etc". I never get pellets ending up anywhere but the floor, and i don't have carpet
  • i have a medium-medium-large cat and she's fine in there. I did take out that front "step" part to give them more box space
  • pine pellets, which i think most of these pellet litters are made of. i used this for a bag:

the first one had longer pellets with some shiny dark brown exterior(that part dissolves when it gets wet), and the current ones are shorter pellets that aren't as shiny. I like the first one a bit more, but they're both fine. Both bags were about $12 for me, so it's a good deal. You can probably use other wood pellets; if you're not sure, just google to see if people are using that one or not and how it's working out
  • the pellets don't instantly become all dust; you do end up getting little pellet frags in there, but they're dry and not tainted and gross like old clay litter gets and when they get small enough, they go through the grate too. worst case you just dump a tray of lovely frags once a month if you're picky i guess
  • the paper trays are for suckers; the only real benefit of those is the little sheet that's silver-ion treated, which is a way to get rid of odors. Otherwise, it's just a way to dump the dust cleanly. I just take the plastic tray (no cardboard tray in it at all) over to a toilet and use a scoop to dump the dust out of one corner into the toilet as it's flushing. It usually takes a couple flushes because i'm not dumping all the dust in at once like an idiot
  • flushing it's fine; it's basically like flushing toilet paper, and probably better easier on your pipes because the dust doesn't hold together. the sawdust is light, and not heavy like clay; i remember getting a clay litter a long time ago that was advertised as flushable, and fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that
  • most of the dust goes down by itself, but i do have to toss it around for all of it to go through and it's what i do when i do a cleaning/poop harvest
  • if your cats are gonna kick some out, they're gonna kick some out. my solution was to have the entrance kinda facing a wall to limit the reach of any kicked out litter
I can take a photo or short video of the thing if you want; again, the box itself isn't so much the magic thing since you can just DIY it.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I use an Omega Paw roll-and-clean litterbox. I'm noticing that my cat will do her business, leave the litterbox, re-enter it halfway, then start pawing at the sand. She hasn't eliminated out of the litterbox, but I'm wondering if the litterbox might be too small to be comfortable for her.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Isnt that all cats? They cover up their business.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Isnt that all cats? They cover up their business.

I thought they usually were able to do that without having to leave the litterbox.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well, my cats do it from outside the box if there's no good place to stand, so yeah it might be too cramped for your cat. Only good way to tell is to have a second box set up and see if she has any preferences.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

duckfarts posted:

Huh, I am actually excited about getting a litterbox. I think I might invest in one of these, thanks! That specific box isn't on Amazon and I think it's a little too large for my bathroom, though, so if I can't get a hold of it I might invest in a similar one http://amzn.com/B001411SK0 tidy cats tho :gonk:

Although, now that I think about it, there's one small problem. What happens if the cat gets the runs? It works in the ideal scenario, sure, but does it handle kitty diarrhea? Ideally that should never happen or there's a bigger problem, but I can't help but wonder how that should be handled.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In that event, no litter will help you

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

Counterpoint: out of three cats I've owned who've had to deal with cat doors, the very bright one learned immediately, the bright-but-no-initiative-one watched the bright one go in and out of the cat door for about three months or something but never thought to try it for herself until we actively showed her how it worked, and the much less bright one took about six weeks to make the mental leap between standing patiently in front of the cat door waiting for it to open and pushing forwards just a tiny bit with her head to make it open herself. To be fair she was something like 16 years old and had never had to deal with one before but still.

The first cat was very tiny and hated pushing with her head so she learned to push it open with her paws and then wedge it open with one paw in the corner of it while she went through the gap.

My strategy was to physically put him on the other side of the cat door a few times a day (both for training and to make sure he would use the litter box while he was still working this whole thing out), shove him through the cat door on either side a few times (which he was a real sweetheart about) and get on the other side of the cat door, open it and try and coax him through with treats.

IIRC he figured out how to come inside from the garage very quickly and I was worried he wouldn't know he could use it to get into the garage, but within 2 or 3 days he was going in and out like a pro.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

demota posted:

I use an Omega Paw roll-and-clean litterbox. I'm noticing that my cat will do her business, leave the litterbox, re-enter it halfway, then start pawing at the sand. She hasn't eliminated out of the litterbox, but I'm wondering if the litterbox might be too small to be comfortable for her.
I have/had one too; though it is smaller than it looks on the inside, that behavior is pretty normal and I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Pollyanna posted:

Huh, I am actually excited about getting a litterbox. I think I might invest in one of these, thanks! That specific box isn't on Amazon and I think it's a little too large for my bathroom, though, so if I can't get a hold of it I might invest in a similar one http://amzn.com/B001411SK0 tidy cats tho :gonk:

Although, now that I think about it, there's one small problem. What happens if the cat gets the runs? It works in the ideal scenario, sure, but does it handle kitty diarrhea? Ideally that should never happen or there's a bigger problem, but I can't help but wonder how that should be handled.
You have a cat or cats? I'd suggest DIY if you have cats plural because the sawdust might be a bit much for the little tray the Breeze system uses; the Breeze system uses zeolite pellets that don't break down and let the urine drip through to an absorbent treated pad. Still, a lot of people do use the Breeze box with wood pellets and are pleased with it apparently, so just be careful if you wanna get lazy about it. I've heard good stuff about the Breeze system, but I'm not really a fan of leaving the same (absorbent)pellets in there for a long time then dumping them eventually. I tried those scary looking silica rocks before, and they basically turn into yellow crystals of terrible, terrible power after being imbued with piss magicks.

Speaking of pellets and diarrhea, I think the wood pellets should be ok. If your cat is taking watery shits (ATTN: SynthOrange), the pellets will just break down from the moisture and you'll just have some dank dust going through, and the solids get dried out so you'll get weird squiggle shits to remove from the box, kind of like you do with clay litters. It will probably smell a bit more since pellets aren't quite as good as clay about dehydrating poops, but should be fine. On the other hand, the zeolite Breeze pellets are gonna get hosed because they don't break down.

If the diarrhea is still stuck to your cat though,

SynthOrange posted:

I ended up taking pics anyway:

Before cleaning:

After harvesting the poops with tongs; you can see there's still some dust hanging around on top:

After moving the litter around for about ten seconds to get the dust down:

I put a few new pellets in, they're the shinier ones (don't put in too much or it makes it really hard for the dust to go down):

This is 2 days of dust from 2 cats, all gonna get flushed:

So the dust is pretty dry, though the front edge at the bottom of the pic has small sections where the dust does gather and it's annoying to knock out dust, so it's more damp and will probably get doughy if i don't knock it out eventually. To be fair, it wasn't designed to be great there since they want you to use the cardboard trays you have to buy over and over.

This is the "facing the wall" thing I mentioned earlier to help control the litter that gets kicked out:

e:

Sea Pancake posted:

They think the most fun thing is to sling litter out of the box post-use. Bonus points if they kick poo poo out as well. Can anyone recommend a litter box that will mitigate this literal shitstorm? Should we be using a covered box?
If you're using a flat litterbox with no walls right now, you should absolutely be trying a covered box next.

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 8, 2016

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

tentawesome posted:

It won't take that long to get rid of them. My cat had tapeworms when he came home from the shelter, less than a week after taking him to the vet they were all gone. They're no danger to you as long as you don't eat your cat's poo poo.

Yeah what I expected for some reason was that she'd get the wormpill at the vet and then come home and half an hour later go to the box and pass some kind of writhing Cronenberg-esque wormball that hissed and spit until we used blacksmith tongs to throw it in a fireplace where it would scream for 30 minutes until it exploded.

That's of course absolutely not what happened, all the dead worms were hidden in normal poops, and she seems a lot happier now that things aren't constantly slithering out her butt to look around.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

So according to my bathroom scales, my 10-week-old kitten weighs 4.2lbs/1.9kg :stare:

His body type fits the 'ideal' according to online cat weight guides (ribs not visible but I can easily feel them, he doesn't have the gut that overweight cats have), but if I'm reading right he's almost twice the weight of an average 10 week old kitten?

I think I might have accidentally adopted a mountain lion cub :ohdear:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

HazCat posted:

So according to my bathroom scales, my 10-week-old kitten weighs 4.2lbs/1.9kg :stare:

His body type fits the 'ideal' according to online cat weight guides (ribs not visible but I can easily feel them, he doesn't have the gut that overweight cats have), but if I'm reading right he's almost twice the weight of an average 10 week old kitten?

I think I might have accidentally adopted a mountain lion cub :ohdear:

Hmm, we're going to need photos for analysis.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 8, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

duckfarts posted:

Before cleaning:

"POOP" Kind of looks like "FOOD". Have you ever gotten them mixed up.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

Hmm, were going to need photos for analysis.

8 weeks:

9 weeks:

10 weeks:

HazCat fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 8, 2016

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

SynthOrange posted:

"POOP" Kind of looks like "FOOD". Have you ever gotten them mixed up.

no way, dood

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

HazCat posted:

8 weeks:

9 weeks:

10 weeks:

Ok, I'm getting the results now.... it looks like your cat is absolutely adorable.

As for being very heavy... v:shobon:v

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

Ok, I'm getting the results now.... it looks like your cat is absolutely adorable.

As for being very heavy... v:shobon:v

When I get home from work and crouch down to say hello, he stands up on his back legs and flings his front legs around to give me a hug :kimchi:

I don't really even mind the idea of a giant cat, I just wasn't expecting such a huge deviation from average! Looking forward to riding my cat to work.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

HazCat posted:

When I get home from work and crouch down to say hello, he stands up on his back legs and flings his front legs around to give me a hug :kimchi:

I don't really even mind the idea of a giant cat, I just wasn't expecting such a huge deviation from average! Looking forward to riding my cat to work.

Size, colour, markings and breed - all irrelevant. You have scored an affectionate companion which shows real pleasure at the prospect of your company. It's impossible to tell when adopting a kitten what sort of personality they will have later so you won the jackpot. Enjoy and cherish.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

HazCat posted:

I mean, your kitten looks fine weight-wise. I wouldn't worry about it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This automatic litterbox seems like it could be an affordable alternative to the Litter Robot? http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Simply-Clean-Cleaning-Litter/dp/B000GF0X38

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Question: My cat has had a long-running obsession with wires and cables (like a lot of cats I'd imagine). Most of the exposed stuff is covered in split-loom tubing which deters him, but I can't hit every cable in the house, and I'm worried he's gonna get zapped when he chews through a live power cord (already had to buy a new Macbook charger because of him...)

So, I want to get him something to satisfy his cravings without damaging my poo poo, but I'm not sure which direction to go. The problem is, I'm not sure how specific the chewing behavior is. Am I trying to deter him from chewing on poo poo in general, or just on cables? I thought about just tying together a few old USB cables and letting him have those, but I think that'll just reinforce that cable = chew.
I haven't really been able to find a toy or anything that would satisfy his cravings. I was thinking about buying a few smaller dog chew toys for him to see if anything sticks, but I dunno if that'll satisfy him. I'm not sure if he likes cables because of the rubber coating, or the fact that they look like snakes, or what. I'm pretty confident it's a texture thing, though.

If I go the dog toy route, is there anything that might be in certain toys I should avoid? A while back I found some cat treats that were long sticks, like Slim Jims, and he loved those. I haven't been able to find them since, but I have found dog treats that look pretty much exactly the same. Are there any ingredients or horrible nutrient imbalances that would be unhealthy for Catte if I tried those?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

edit: never mind. No string, that's a baaaaaad idea. Thought you meant for cat fishing, not chewing on

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 9, 2016

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Update: Josie's burns are starting to slough off, revealing very pink skin underneath, taking the fur with it. Will her fur grow back?

The burns have healed most of the way, so the dead skin is coming away.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yeah eventually. Hopefully she learned!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

SynthOrange posted:

Quoted for truth... Isaac has had chronic diarrhea for most of his life until we managed to get his grain intolerance in check and the only thing that will help you with cat runs is scotch. Lots of scotch. And the cheapest litter possible so you can just dump the entire box of chunky mud into the bin and wash the thing out on the lawn with the hose...

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I went to clean out the litterbox and found this disgusting turd.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

duckfarts posted:

This is 2 days of dust from 2 cats, all gonna get flushed:

So the dust is pretty dry, though the front edge at the bottom of the pic has small sections where the dust does gather and it's annoying to knock out dust, so it's more damp and will probably get doughy if i don't knock it out eventually. To be fair, it wasn't designed to be great there since they want you to use the cardboard trays you have to buy over and over.

Hmm. I'm wondering if it's possible to use a thin trash bag or other plastic bag to cover the tray, kind of like what this guy does? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-EansLmxfU

edit: fuuuuuuuck rakuten doesn't ship to the US :cry:

So I might have to think of alternative boxes. The Breeze system is the closest I can find, but I'd have to confirm that it works with wood/pine pellet litters, since it apparently doesn't do the sawdust thing and just lets pee soak into the pad at the bottom (which is gross as gently caress). This thread seems to suggest that you can use the wood pellets with the box, but I'm not 100% confirmed on that. It's an acceptable substitute, but the problem is that my current litter box only barely fits into the little nook next to the toilet at about 14.5-15 inches wide, and the 16.5 inch wide Breeze system probably won't fit :cry: I really need a bigger apartment or a better place to put the litter box, but there's precisely zero other places it can go - I live in a little studio, and the nook next to the toilet is the only good one I've found. What a loving pain.

But, if it somehow does fit, it'd be a good substitute. I hope.

Just to make absolutely sure - pine pellet litter reduces the smell of urine, correct? Wet sawdust will just smell of wood/pine?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 10, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.amazon.com/Hometec-Lift-...ved+litter+tray

There you go, a 14 inch wide sifting litter tray.

wait that might not have enough clearance.

How about : http://www.amazon.com/SMART-CAT-BOX...let+litter+tray

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There's also a height limit and my cat does tend to spray litter loving everywhere, but don't worry about it, I'll figure something out. I'd prefer pullout trays, but top trays like those might work too. I'll experiment and see, and worse comes to worse, I'll just find another place in my apartment to put the litter box (eugh). If I do need to put the box far away from the toilet, I'll need something like a Litter Genie to place the poo poo in.