Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

alex314 posted:

I hope lovely TV shows start showing Romanians because not only all Romanians I've met were cool people their language sounds way better than Italian.

Romanians problem on these surveys is that most Poles assume they're all just Gypsies. Or Draculas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Lichtenstein posted:

Beer. And, to a lesser degree, weed.

I`m kind of impressed by Jews reaching twice the standing of Romas! Baby steps, Poland.

That's because it's not okay for educated people to hate the Jews, but Roma are hated by all strata equally.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tevery Best posted:

That's because it's not okay for educated people to hate the Jews, but Roma are hated by all strata equally.

It's OK to hate Roma, because unlike Jews, they are actually bad people. It's not racism, if it's true. :eng99:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I'm a couple pages late but the spin that the Panama Papers are an attack on Putin is bizarre. Everyone knows and expects Putin is corrupt in various ways. Revealing that he's possibly using tax havens will have zero effect on his political career because Putin doing that sort of thing is already well accepted by everyone, no doubt including many supporters.

In the West it could have much more of an effect, though sadly I imagine it won't be as big as one would hope. Still, it's certainly more of an issue for involved Western leaders than it is for Putin.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think he's just playing it for the home audience. No one expects it to hit him in any way, so he's just milking it for political capital. Evil western capitalists constantly assaulting plucky little Russia has worked every time so far.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

anilEhilated posted:

I think he's just playing it for the home audience. No one expects it to hit him in any way, so he's just milking it for political capital. Evil western capitalists constantly assaulting plucky little Russia has worked every time so far.
It's pretty amazing watching someone deflect evidence of them embezzling billions in state funds, bribes and payoffs without even having to comment on it other than shrug and pantomime "CIA plot".

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Actually since you guys enjoy examples of crazy EE nationalism, let me just throw out my collection of covers from Serious History Magazine About True Historical Facts From Serious History (It Is Very Serious). I think they might work even better if you don't speak the language.

(not satire I swear to god)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Who the gently caress owns that piece of garbage?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Also, TVP2 (the second channel of the Polish public TV) wants to make a sitcom about future Poland, which became a world power. It quickly dominated Europe thanks to cutting edge tech and now plenty of impoverished Belgians, Germans and Brits try to leave their third-world shitholes and work here. The series will begin with the Polish national team beating the Brazilian one and winning World Cup.

http://m.wirtualnemedia.pl/m/artykul/tvp2-chce-nakrecic-futurystyczny-sitcom-2050-o-polsce-jako-swiatowej-potedze

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Guildencrantz posted:

Actually since you guys enjoy examples of crazy EE nationalism, let me just throw out my collection of covers from Serious History Magazine About True Historical Facts From Serious History (It Is Very Serious). I think they might work even better if you don't speak the language.

(not satire I swear to god)
Dear God.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I am the abominable communist Jew dragon slain by glorious knight Franco.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

steinrokkan posted:

Who the gently caress owns that piece of garbage?

This is, uh, a "history" spin-off of a right-wing Do Rzeczy magazine, which is sort of a spin-off of a right wing Uważam Rze magazine (formed by rejects from its editorial team), which is a sort of a spin-off of a right-wing Rzeczpospolita magazine (formed by rejects from its editorial team).

It's fairly mainstream end of the world of right-wing publications, or at least Rzeczpospolita is.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lichtenstein posted:

This is, uh, a "history" spin-off of a right-wing Do Rzeczy magazine, which is sort of a spin-off of a right wing Uważam Rze magazine (formed by rejects from its editorial team), which is a sort of a spin-off of a right-wing Rzeczpospolita magazine (formed by rejects from its editorial team).

It's fairly mainstream end of the world of right-wing publications, or at least Rzeczpospolita is.

Right wing lunacy aside, those are some solid pun names for spin-off magazines.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Gantolandon posted:

Also, TVP2 (the second channel of the Polish public TV) wants to make a sitcom about future Poland, which became a world power. It quickly dominated Europe thanks to cutting edge tech and now plenty of impoverished Belgians, Germans and Brits try to leave their third-world shitholes and work here. The series will begin with the Polish national team beating the Brazilian one and winning World Cup.

http://m.wirtualnemedia.pl/m/artykul/tvp2-chce-nakrecic-futurystyczny-sitcom-2050-o-polsce-jako-swiatowej-potedze
Hahaha, oh god. They're not very good at this propaganda thing are they? I can't imagine people watching it for anything other than the irony factor. I mean, if it was just about Poland being a superpower I could see people buying it but the crazy switcheroo where it's Brits and Germans that wash our dishes now you see and then the national soccer team that even its fans love to hate becomes the best in the world and it's too close to a parody.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Palpek posted:

Hahaha, oh god. They're not very good at this propaganda thing are they? I can't imagine people watching it for anything other than the irony factor. I mean, if it was just about Poland being a superpower I could see people buying it but the crazy switcheroo where it's Brits and Germans that wash our dishes now you see and then the national soccer team that even its fans love to hate becomes the best in the world and it's too close to a parody.

Theoretically, it's supposed to be a sitcom, so you could reasonably expect some autoirony. Given the recent takeover of the public media and mass layoffs, I don't think anyone dares to do that.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It's like that story I've read where interwar Poland has kicked 3rd Reich and some other countries and after the war some German kids made a movie to increase morale called "Vier Panzerkameraden und das Hund".

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Yet again the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs is pissy at Bellingcat

quote:

Bellingcat as an instrument to divert attention from investigating the tragedy of the Malaysian Boeing over Ukraine

We took note of an interview with Bellingcat representatives for the BBC in which they sarcastically spoke about some “trolling” on the part of the Ministry of Defence and the Foreign Ministry of Russia, for allegedly attacking them.
I would simply like to recall that we do not attack anyone, but rather, give our unbiased assessment of the work of both this group and those who use its materials as reliable information.

We understand the purpose of this group’s activities. Acting jointly with the current Ukrainian authorities, they continue to use all possible “fakes,” to create quasi-evidence to blame Russia. Why do we take this position and on what is it based? Even now the commission (investigating the circumstances of the Boeing tragedy over the territory of Ukraine) prefers to ignore Russia’s reasoning, which is corroborated by facts and evidence, in particular by tests and experiments. The commission ignores it to the extent that it makes no reply to this reasoning, while at the same time passing off these “fakes” for the hundredth time as proof or integrated evidence, even when this information has been debunked, and not only by Russia.

At present, we have information,that leads us to believe that loyal and handy witnesses in this case are being selected and presumably trained. This begs the question: why is all this being done? The aim is once again to give the global community fabricated proof of Russia’s aggression. This seems blasphemous in this case, because people died there and their families want to know the truth. One may endlessly combine all these invented stories and collect evidence allegedly found on social media sites and at the same time ignore the results of experiments, including those provided by Russia. All this can be done only if you neglect to consider one thing: this case is not just an information campaign, it involves human lives, the destinies of the victims’ families, who definitely want to know the truth.

It apparently refers to this article where I said this

quote:

"What's been interesting for me is having this Syria community of trolls and the community of pro-Russian trolls that built up around MH17 and my work, now coming together after Russia's involvement in Syria. It's nice to bring people together, even when it's in their mutual and obsessive hatred of one person.

"Recently we've even had the Russian Ministry of Defence and Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs putting out statements attacking Bellingcat. They seem to be basing it on what the trolls are saying," he adds.

But as the Russian MoD and Russian MFA has been repeatedly claiming we're using fakes, and now even working with the Ukrainians, I've now published the following open letter, which we've also sent to the Russians

quote:

Dear Sir or Madam,
Both the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Defense have accused Bellingcat of preparing "open falsifications," passing off "fakes," using "faked posts," and making "pseudo-hypotheses." Bellingcat has never created fake information, and has never included "faked posts" as evidence in its investigations. After months of false accusations in official press conferences, we request that the government of the Russian Federation provide specific examples of the "fakes" and false evidence that are supposedly published by Bellingcat.
Additionally, on April 6, the spokesperson for the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs accused Bellingcat of "acting jointly with the current Ukrainian authorities." Bellingcat has never acted jointly with any body of the Ukrainian government. We request any proof held by the government of the Russian Federation that Bellingcat has cooperated with the Ukrainian--or any other--government in its research or publications.
The government of the Russian Federation seems very concerned with providing an "unbiased assessment," in the words of spokesperson Zakharova, of the work of Bellingcat. We request concrete proof to support its accusations.
Yours sincerely,
Eliot Higgins, Bellingcat

So lets see if my continual badgering will result in any actual evidence of these accusations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

A Pale Horse posted:

A survey showing how much Poles like people of other nations was released and surprise! We don't really like anyone! Except maybe the Czechs! I don't know why either!

The title says: Relation of Poles to Nations and Ethnic Groups

The columns are Green: Sympathy, Grey: Indifference, Red: Dislike, Blue: Hard to Say

I think most of you can figure out what the ethnic groups being referred to are. I'll just say Wlosi are Italians, Niemcy are Germans and Zydzi are Jews because those don't look that similar to other countries names in non moonspeak.
I had hoped for better, but I'll take ninth place.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gantolandon posted:

See that could work if it was self-aware and pointing out all those beautiful absurdities we're used to in EE like corruption being the only way to get anything done, but amped to eleven...
...But then you could just set it in contemporary Russia.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Young Freud posted:

Who's he reporting to, the Under-Secretary of the Department of the Circular File?

I'm sure his presentation will be so ground breaking, he will address the general assembly with it.

Brown Moses posted:

Yet again the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs is pissy at Bellingcat

It apparently refers to this article where I said this

But as the Russian MoD and Russian MFA has been repeatedly claiming we're using fakes, and now even working with the Ukrainians, I've now published the following open letter, which we've also sent to the Russians

So lets see if my continual badgering will result in any actual evidence of these accusations.

Yes, but they have the full faith and authority of the Kremlin backing them up . You're just a bloke sitting at the kitchen table with a laptop. Any actual proof you're lying will be long time coming.

Unless it will be part of Graham Phillips' report to the UN.

ComradeKane
Oct 3, 2010
So Poroshenko was implicated in the Panama Papers. What sort of political effect has that had there?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

ComradeKane posted:

So Poroshenko was implicated in the Panama Papers. What sort of political effect has that had there?

Poroshenko has always been a corrupt oligarch.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ComradeKane posted:

Mostly made the journalists who wrote the article look like morons, since they didn't actually uncover anything substantial,
and substituted with rherotic instead. (As in there is no evidence of tax evasion or the like published thus far; maybe failing
to disclose about $3000 worth of paper assets at most). One of the things people learned is that he actually did put Roshen[1]
in a blind trust.

It may have delayed the new government for one week, though.

[1] but not five zillion other assets.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ComradeKane posted:

I don't think he's ever been very popular. Also hasn't his involvement been due to shifting money from territories endangered by the civil war? Seems at least marginally more benign than the usual tax avoidance ,since he was trying to minimize the effects of a war on his fortune.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

ComradeKane posted:

You have Western perspective. You expect that politician is honest. Here in Slavic Europe, we laugh at this, but is a sad laugh. Of course politician is corrupt, that's why he is politician! Keeps money in Panama, of course he does, what will he do? Pay tax? Is not stupid. Is important that politician wants more than just steal, also wants good for country, then he can steal some. Such is life. If politician looks like he is not corrupt, means he is so corrupt that he has to hide it. Is okay if politician is a little corrupt, is bad if is so corrupt that he is ashamed. If he takes bribe, embezzles money, nation knows that embezzles - good. Nation looks at mansion, if mansion has gold doorknobs - is okay, stole a little. If mansion has gold toilets - politician doesn't know what do with money, stole too much. Votes for other politician who steals less, is maybe okay again. Such is life.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Ukrainian PM Yatsenyuk has just resigned. (Bring on PM Hroysman?)

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Guildencrantz posted:

You have Western perspective. You expect that politician is honest. Here in Slavic Europe, we laugh at this, but is a sad laugh. Of course politician is corrupt, that's why he is politician! Keeps money in Panama, of course he does, what will he do? Pay tax? Is not stupid. Is important that politician wants more than just steal, also wants good for country, then he can steal some. Such is life. If politician looks like he is not corrupt, means he is so corrupt that he has to hide it. Is okay if politician is a little corrupt, is bad if is so corrupt that he is ashamed. If he takes bribe, embezzles money, nation knows that embezzles - good. Nation looks at mansion, if mansion has gold doorknobs - is okay, stole a little. If mansion has gold toilets - politician doesn't know what do with money, stole too much. Votes for other politician who steals less, is maybe okay again. Such is life.

This is really hosed up.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

How broke and desperate is Lukashenko? His foreign minister is willing to concede that the current status of Crimea is the right one.

http://belsat.eu/en/news/makei-belarus-recognizes-de-facto-status-of-crimea/

quote:

“In politics, it is necessary to proceed from reality. We should understand who de facto owns Crimea today. We have never had great economic and trade relations with Crimea. But this does not mean that we agree or disagree with something,” said Minister.

“We believe that now the main task is to preserve the territorial integrity and inviolability of the rest of Ukraine. Therefore, we offered Minsk as platform for negotiations,” said Makei.

The minister also said that Crimea has always enjoyed popularity among Belarusian tourists, but now there are some logistical problems “it is impossible to get to the peninsula through Ukraine, and entering it through Russia is fraught with problems with subsequent arrival in Ukraine.”

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

How broke and desperate is Lukashenko? His foreign minister is willing to concede that the current status of Crimea is the right one.

http://belsat.eu/en/news/makei-belarus-recognizes-de-facto-status-of-crimea/

Things are rough with communal payments. At first, the government planned to raise rates gradually to 100% of real costs as opposed 25% people pay now, but, unsurprisingly, Belarusians didn't like it, and Lukashenko had to throw some housing officials in jail, revert their plans, lower payment rates even further, and get some money off Eurasian Development Bank.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 10, 2016

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

What are communal payments in this context?
Also which slavic sausage is closest to Kabana in taste? (kinda spicy, not very fatty)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xerxes17 posted:

Also which slavic sausage is closest to Kabana in taste? (kinda spicy, not very fatty)
Kabanos sausages originate in Poland. If Kabana and Kabanos sausages are different things, then it's Polish Kabanos nonetheless, as far as non-Balkan Eastern Europe goes, to best of my knowledge.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I like reading this blog written by a school teacher in Gomel. Usually she writes about her students and Belarusian culture, but this post makes it seem as though the situation in Belarus is looking pretty bleak.

http://mynativebelarus.blogspot.com/2016/01/black-thursday.html

quote:

I did not want to write about the crisis in Belarus, but the circumstances are stronger than me. You probably heard in the news that Belarus has introduced a new law in 2016. Entrepreneurs must have a certificate for their products, they have no right to sell without certificates. I will not write my point of view here. I will say only one thing: 90% of entrepreneurs do not come to work on 1 January and do not work so far. I see closed shops everywhere in the markets. Employers pay a tax to the treasury before. But now they do not work and no one pays taxes. I think the money in the budget will soon run out.

Another reason for my sadness was the falling of USD. On Thursday 22 January, it rose 2,000 BLR for two hours. People say that the Belarusian ruble fell following the Russian ruble. OK, everything is possible. So when I got my salary I spent it at the store on those things, which I had long dreamed of. I thought, no one knows what the price of products and goods will be tomorrow.

I feel a lack of confidence in my future. But I will not write any more about it. I do not want to panic. Maybe my country find a way out?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

kalstrams posted:

Kabanos sausages originate in Poland. If Kabana and Kabanos sausages are different things, then it's Polish Kabanos nonetheless, as far as non-Balkan Eastern Europe goes, to best of my knowledge.

It certainly looks like what I am looking for, thanks. It also occurs to me that this is the wrong EE thread for food questions :v:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Xerxes17 posted:

It's your utilities + what you pay for just living in a flat/apartment/house, i.e. exploitation costs.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Xerxes17 posted:

It certainly looks like what I am looking for, thanks. It also occurs to me that this is the wrong EE thread for food questions :v:

East of Poland the closest thing is probably Okhotnichii (hunter's) sausages.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

I like reading this blog written by a school teacher in Gomel. Usually she writes about her students and Belarusian culture, but this post makes it seem as though the situation in Belarus is looking pretty bleak.

Her non-panic move, of buying goods before the money becomes worthless, is actually exactly the type of panic that will cause a market collapse. Can't really blame her, what else are you supposed to do, invest in gold?

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 10, 2016

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

That was way back in January, though. BYR has stabilised somewhat since then. Plus, the law mostly affects really small entrepreneurs who sell clothes and shoes they buy cheap in Poland or Ukraine, and even then it looks like many of them managed to get required documents in the end. The situation is dire, as usual, but it's not like there's suddenly no food in shops or something like that.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

3 suicide bombers have blown themselves up in a village in Russia's Stavropol region.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-crime-blast-idUSKCN0X80RD

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Apparently they arrested somebody for attempting to assassinate the chief forensics guy for MH17 last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Whoa: Rada speaker Volodymyr Hroysman has withdrawn his candidacy for PM, as some of his conditions haven't been met. As Yataenyuk's resignation is supposed to be submitted tomorrow, things have gotten pretty strange.