Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

GoodBee posted:

My favorite dark blue color is Deadly Nightshade. Coat D'Arms still makes it. It might be my favorite color period.

I used it on a bunch of Tyranids in the 90s so I just painted it flat. My pot is still good. I kept wanting to use it on other stuff before I found out you could still get it but kept stopping myself because I thought it was OOP.

Have you tried P3 Coal Black? Looks like it's very similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

BULBASAUR posted:

VMC Dark Sea Blue is also really close to P3 Coal Black.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

BULBASAUR posted:

Yeah, that color is pretty nice too. It just doesn't do it for me like Deadly Nightshade did. There's probably some nostalgia working for me too though. I think Coal Black has a little too much green in it.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

dishwasherlove posted:

Can anyone suggest a decent basing theme for my Infinity minis? I painted the weapons purple so they would be easier to see on the table, but they may have been a mistake because now I'm stumped for a base and how hard to push the contrast with that.

Daaaaamn, good job on that yellow. Those look amazing

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

w00tmonger posted:

Daaaaamn, good job on that yellow. Those look amazing

Thanks buddy. I wanted to do more than spray primer with my airbrush soI used it to zenthial highlight and then spray the models with Vallejo model air Yellow Ochre. The rest is all brush, more Yellow Ochre for some coverage on the raised bits, washed with GW Gryphonne Sepia then highlighted with a 50/50 mix of white/Yellow Ochre. Pretty basic.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Yellow ochre is the best yellow. Mixes beautifully, amazing coverage. I use it as a base for anything yellow.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Finished off the Vampire for my KoW Undead. Tidied up the blue with some more blends and glazes and redid the face.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Terrible lighting, but...

The first of my PHR Dropships for Dropzone Commander. I'll see if I can get a better picture tomorrow when the sun is out.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Finished some Sentinels!

Maybe in the new codex they'll be decent? Doubt it!

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Cross posting from mantic thread as it might help someone here:

Thanks to Leperflesh's post I already have a better understanding of the arcane workings of cameras.

In terms of lightboxes, I made a ghetto box out of cardboard box that I cut the top and front off, then I taped the top of a sheet of white paper to the back, and the taped the bottom to the under side of the box making sure that the paper was curved rather than creased (so there's no sharp line on the picture). Here's a shot of it:

I'm then taking pictures from about 12-16" away from the box. Followed by lloading the picture into gimp, choosing "Colors->Levels..."

Click the white dropper:

Click on the white paper "lightbox" background in the image and voila:

The picture would be sharper if I had a tripod because my understanding is that the shutter speed is slow enough that any minor movement is making its way into the final picture.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Yeast posted:

Finished some Sentinels!

Maybe in the new codex they'll be decent? Doubt it!

I like them alright for tar pitting and stuff if you have the extra fast attack slots. Yours look great! Are they magnetized?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

richyp posted:

Thanks to Leperflesh's post I already have a better understanding of the arcane workings of cameras.

In terms of lightboxes, I made a ghetto box out of cardboard box that I cut the top and front off, then I taped the top of a sheet of white paper to the back, and the taped the bottom to the under side of the box making sure that the paper was curved rather than creased (so there's no sharp line on the picture). Here's a shot of it:

I'm then taking pictures from about 12-16" away from the box. Followed by lloading the picture into gimp, choosing "Colors->Levels..."

Click the white dropper:

The picture would be sharper if I had a tripod because my understanding is that the shutter speed is slow enough that any minor movement is making its way into the final picture.

Looks good, but ideally you'd want to be setting the white balance before taking the picture, not fixing it afterwards in software

Look for the custom white balance setting and then set it after you've got all your lighting set up

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Skarsnik posted:

Looks good, but ideally you'd want to be setting the white balance before taking the picture, not fixing it afterwards in software

Look for the custom white balance setting and then set it after you've got all your lighting set up

Yeah the original post from the other thread was a response was to someone using a smartphone camera and I've found the white balance settings to be a bit lacking. The photo's here weren't actually adjusted in gimp as I've got a daylight bulb setup for white light rather than yellow. It's more obvious in the first picture where you can see the paper and desk are already pretty much white :)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Maybe I am dumb, but I wouldn't call that a lightbox as much as just a backdrop. A backdrop helps avoid having other objects in frame to mess with your settings (like backlighting or contrast issues) but it doesn't actually affect the lighting you are using. I think that a lightbox is also supposed to serve as a way of diffusing lighting onto the object, so that you get something that is more softly lit without shadowing or directionality - which is good because it allows you to combat things like the blur from a slow shutter. Mostly this involves putting semi-opaque material like white cloth or paper above or on the sides of the backdrop, and shining the light either through it or reflected off it (kind of like a bounce flash but more constant).

You don't have a lot of shadowing going on at least, but more lighting this way could help with your shutter speed.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

I love seeing other people's ghetto studio light setups! I use an eames chair beside a window most of the time for mine.

People are always so surprised when I tell them how I take my pictures and that they aren't done "professionally".

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Ashcans posted:

Maybe I am dumb, but I wouldn't call that a lightbox as much as just a backdrop. A backdrop helps avoid having other objects in frame to mess with your settings (like backlighting or contrast issues) but it doesn't actually affect the lighting you are using. I think that a lightbox is also supposed to serve as a way of diffusing lighting onto the object, so that you get something that is more softly lit without shadowing or directionality - which is good because it allows you to combat things like the blur from a slow shutter. Mostly this involves putting semi-opaque material like white cloth or paper above or on the sides of the backdrop, and shining the light either through it or reflected off it (kind of like a bounce flash but more constant).

You don't have a lot of shadowing going on at least, but more lighting this way could help with your shutter speed.

Oops, should've mentioned there's a sheet of paper taped to the under side of my magnifying lamp, I don't use the mag just the bulb so that'll be diffusing the light. In the past I used to balance a sheet on top of the box too but I got fed up of it falling off when I moved it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
While we're talking about photographing models, I added Leperflesh's suggestions to richyp in the OP, the photography section there was sorely lacking in material apart from a link to a long and detailed (and very good) post from Tale of Painters.

It's kind of a minefield to talk about photography with folks who aren't into photography (kind of like talking wargaming rules to 'normal people') and I'd love to write something that can help painters at different 'stages', for lack of a better term:
- a basic guide for people with no photography experience with a smartphone ('basic' meaning looking at just a few settings)
- a basic guide for people with no photography experience with a point and shoot camera
- a more detailed guide for both
and leave the advanced guide to the Tale of Painters link
...but I'd welcome someone writing these guides, or at least a starting point I can add links to. I think keeping things simple for the basic stuff is important, otherwise you can make people's eyes just glaze over, but it needs to be stressed how important these sometimes hidden settings are.

TouchToneDialing posted:

I love seeing other people's ghetto studio light setups! I use an eames chair beside a window most of the time for mine.

People are always so surprised when I tell them how I take my pictures and that they aren't done "professionally".

this is about the most ideal lighting setup you can get (I would add maybe diffusing cloth on the windows) - most photographers spend tons of cash trying to replicate that natural lighting!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 8, 2016

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

TouchToneDialing posted:

Look at the guy with a Nikon pro-level DSLR saying his photos aren't don't professionally. If you're willing to shell out that kind of dosh you almost certainly have the skills to back it up. :cheeky:

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

richyp posted:

Click the white dropper:

looks good, i'm a lazy gently caress so i ordered one of those 20$ lightboxes on ebay, it's given me great results! I use an iPhone 6S to get awesome results. I've also found that with the colours i tend to use, a black background works the best.

grey background vs black background

Again, these are done with an iPhone 6S. I do own a really nice camera, but it's way easier to just upload from my phone to my PC via dropbox or similar, i then do a quick WB edit in Picasa (I'm feeling lucky) and away we go!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Frobbe posted:

Again, these are done with an iPhone 6S. I do own a really nice camera, but it's way easier to just upload from my phone to my PC via dropbox or similar, i then do a quick WB edit in Picasa (I'm feeling lucky) and away we go!

Yeah, while I own a pretty good camera and a lightbox I just tend to snap a quick but as decent as possible shot of something I just completed with my Nexus 4 camera alongside a white backdrop and a couple of extra lights. As it's honestly quicker to do so for a quick "Look what I finished" thing than finding space for a lightbox and tripod and camera. Granted I tend to make sure the image looks decently light and isn't a blurry mess but that's about the extent of it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

TouchToneDialing posted:

I have a box from a 24-pack sprayed white and a bunch of miscellaneous lamps pointing to it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I used a pair of desklamps (one kicked the bucket after 20 years and started sparking) and an 18x24 piece of paper with some of my freshman year drawing homework on the back of it. I only got a lightbox a week or two ago.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

Look at the guy with a Nikon pro-level DSLR saying his photos aren't don't professionally. If you're willing to shell out that kind of dosh you almost certainly have the skills to back it up. :cheeky:

Ha fair point but I really only bring out the good camera for big projects. Most of the time I just use my cellphone and to 90% of people the photos look the same.

Once you scale down the images to under 1k pixels its basically impossible to tell the difference

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
With this talk of improving photos, I redid some of my current projects using a slightly better setup (if you can call two pieces of paper better than a whiteboard):

Genestealer cultists:

Test Word Bearer I did this morning, since I need to get around to starting in on my Betrayal at Calth set:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

The Kingfish posted:

I like them alright for tar pitting and stuff if you have the extra fast attack slots. Yours look great! Are they magnetized?

Yeah, all magnetised. Early games are likely to be around 750pts while I paint the rest of the army, so I got some variety to start.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

FireSight posted:

Terrible lighting, but...

The first of my PHR Dropships for Dropzone Commander. I'll see if I can get a better picture tomorrow when the sun is out.

That's a nice color scheme. I'm planning to go almost totally opposite that (porcelain white).

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

wdarkk posted:

That's a nice color scheme. I'm planning to go almost totally opposite that (porcelain white).

I felt that the porcelain white color scheme for PHR was too... boring. The black and white scheme came out a LOT nicer than I expected. I had planned on putting a few other colors on the unit, but I ended up just repainting it all black (or a very dark metalic) because the glossy carapice appearance is nice and intimidating.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

PierreTheMime posted:

With this talk of improving photos, I redid some of my current projects using a slightly better setup (if you can call two pieces of paper better than a whiteboard):

Genestealer cultists:

Test Word Bearer I did this morning, since I need to get around to starting in on my Betrayal at Calth set:

I don't think I've ever seen genestealer cultists done like that. They look really cool.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

FireSight posted:

I felt that the porcelain white color scheme for PHR was too... boring. The black and white scheme came out a LOT nicer than I expected. I had planned on putting a few other colors on the unit, but I ended up just repainting it all black (or a very dark metalic) because the glossy carapice appearance is nice and intimidating.

It's actually part of an obscure reference I'm planning on working in.

If it doesn't work I'll redo it with a tiny bit of purple mixed in.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I painted some cultists :toot:

I realized as I was working on it that the colors I had picked weren't super great together and so painted over a little and changed things, kinda messy but looks alright and they're just cultists anyways.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Repainted another action figure.

Did Iron Man's Hulkbuster.

For more some more photos and a bit of a guide look here http://imgur.com/a/lF7b8

EAThief
Aug 28, 2006

I swear it's not what you think

I just finished painted something for the first time in like half a decade. I've painted stuff in the past but my method was basically dip spoon in paint, slap paint on model. I've spent some time reading advice and watching tutorials and finally painted this:

(sorry bout the quality, I'm bad at pictures. The highlights on the blue electric coils looks way better in person)

For being the first model I've really put effort into I'm pretty happy with it. I feel like now I just need to paint more stuff and work on being less messy. Maybe make the highlights bolder? Any C&C/advice is welcome.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TouchToneDialing posted:

For more some more photos and a bit of a guide look here http://imgur.com/a/lF7b8

That's fuckin awesome mate

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

TouchToneDialing posted:

Wow! The lights look fantastic.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

EAThief posted:

I just finished painted something for the first time in like half a decade. I've painted stuff in the past but my method was basically dip spoon in paint, slap paint on model. I've spent some time reading advice and watching tutorials and finally painted this:

(sorry bout the quality, I'm bad at pictures. The highlights on the blue electric coils looks way better in person)

For being the first model I've really put effort into I'm pretty happy with it. I feel like now I just need to paint more stuff and work on being less messy. Maybe make the highlights bolder? Any C&C/advice is welcome.

It's looking nice. I use the same colors for my Cygnar electric coils as well, and I find that a wash really helps to get the trenches nice and dark compared to the tubing of the coils. I use Drakenhof Nightshade for mine.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

TouchToneDialing posted:

That's superb - it was interesting to read how you did it too. Drybrushing with a sponge to weather was a technique I had discovered previously but it was really interesting to read that you applied a light silver with the sponge and then touched it up with dark with a brush. I find myself so married to always working up from dark that this is a really good example to encourage me to broaden my horizons. Thanks.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I did another review video, this time for a tidy little air compressor from Sparmax:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJqrhqD3OJ4

It's about twice the price of the no-name air compressors but half the price of pro-level tank compressors. I think it's a great first compressor and when you get a more expensive compressor it makes a good travel/backup/loaner compressor.

TouchToneDialing posted:

Saw your post on Reddit...that is awesome. I haven't even seen the movie yet but now I want to get the plastic toy and do the same thing.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I think i need to try and repeat that amazing success.

That Iron Man looks awesome.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I've been looking at investing in an airbrush, since i've got a large amount of vehicles coming up that i need to paint. a local store is selling this kit:

where i get 10% because i asked nicely. (equivalent to about 250 USD total)

The Neo for iwata airbrush, any comments on this? the compressor looks decent, and the remaining bits and bobs are generic, but i don't think air in particular cares what kind of hose it's going through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I'm a sucker for any kind of hotrod metallic paint job, so the Hulkbuster is really doing it for me. I have a stupid question: instead of masking, would it have been simpler to just do the metallic base, airbrush the red all over, and then go back over the ultimately-not-red components with a black primer coat?

Somewhat related, I keep thinking about buying baby's first airbrush. Are there any detailed demonstration videos where someone's doing a ~25mm miniature with an airbrush and showing the process, like Faust's painting videos?