Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
AROs are great but they are a thing to heavily balance around.

Vehicles as an aspect of play interest me, because cluttered boards are a bad place for most vehicles I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

BattleMaster posted:

I'd actually like to see how Infinity's ARO system would work without the order pool. I like Infinity a lot but I'd like to see people try variations on things it does.

Oh definitely. I could see something a bit more restrictive along the lines of pairs rather than groups that get to share their actions, or 2 part actions that require 2 models such as one 2 part action being marking a target and shooting where one unit marks as the first part of the action and the 2nd model fires using the 2nd part, but still leaving one 2 part action that can be used by either of the models. e.g. combinations for Duo Team:

Sniper team (Shooter and targeter):
- Both models can move and shoot, or move and move
- One model marks a target boosting accuracy for the second model who can fire. (Could be done twice in a turn)
- Alternatively both models can burst fire pistols, costs both parts of action, but accuracy is lower as the target isn't marked.

Human/Droid Shield unit.
- Human shield, increases save/damage reduction for partner. Meat shield can fire but not move, maybe force the opponent to shoot meat shield etc...

Just farting out ideas.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Thundercloud posted:

Where I want to go with it:

Skirmish game for about a dozen models per side.
Wandering monster mechanics and themed monster lists.
Rules about 12 pages. Add design rules for both forces, weapons and creatures. Add example lists.
Typical board size 2 by 2.
Analagous to kill team.
Dual action/reaction mechanics. (so take 2 actions per turn per model, characters can use heroic actions which active all models around them as well)
Opposed dice rolls?
Heavily customisable forces.
Lighter vehicles and walkers.
Use any models, any terrain.
Dense terrain required. No unobstructed line of site longer than 12”.

Cool. I'll start a new thread, so that Warhammer thread can go back to be about warhahahahahah

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I think vehicles could work if you're looking at sentinel/tauros sized things. Really sounds a lot like the LOTR rules for heroic characters would work, and I've always thought that was a potentially elegant system giving heroes an easy but flexible way of marking them out.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

New thread posted, with typos in the thread title and everything. A great start!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Thundercloud posted:

I was thinking about doing a sci fi game a little like Frostgrave. Might be an idea to do a goon skirmish game thread.

Why not just wait for Rogue Stars? It's out soon I think.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Orruks sighted:

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
Ah, now AoS has the yellow faction.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Lol they're Warcraft orcs now

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
is the khorne guy leaping to attack them or being thrown back by an orruk i honestly can't tell

haunted bear tale
May 14, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

is the khorne guy leaping to attack them or being thrown back by an orruk i honestly can't tell

Why is the guy on the dragon peeing blue???
What are they even standing on? Flames and orcs and warriors?
Why are their weapons drawn so badly? They look like giant GW miniature plastic weapons.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Milky Moor posted:

Looks like leaping since there is no Orruk throwing him

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

To me it is pretty weird that they are called the green horde but the picture is predominantly yellow. I think the studio painters/artists really hosed up in regards to that.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tekopo posted:

To me it is pretty weird that they are called the green horde but the picture is predominantly yellow. I think the studio painters/artists really hosed up in regards to that.

It's because the guys covered in sig runes really care about skin colour.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Seriously GW, what the gently caress? WHFB Orcs already had a cool aesthetic, now you've gone and turned them into sigmarines with green heads. They really didn't need to become another heavily armoured faction.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I think you need to remember they could have been another naked faction, like the Khorne Leather Daddies or Duardin Bears.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

In AoS, there is no mid-way between 'heavily armoured' and 'basically naked'.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

they can afford more armor cause their teeth regrow faster

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

they can afford more armor cause their teeth regrow faster

ur-teef

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:wow:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
"What, like 'Ur-gold'?"
"No, like 'your teeth'."

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
my nightmare world of full plate everything has awoken

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

my nightmare world of full plate everything has awoken

It's a shame the Brets are gone, or we might get to see full plated Knights wearing a second suit of full plate on top of their first one.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

More like 'Eurgh, teeth!'

On reflection I seem to recall that the Ironjawz are supposed to be the equivalent of Black Orcs so the heavier armour makes a certain amount of sense, however it still all blends together on the group shot. They needed more colours to break it up.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Look at the Orruks,
Look how they shine for you,
And everything you do,
Yeah they were all yellow,

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The Orrruks lack all personality and look derivative as gently caress.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

adamantium|wang posted:

"What, like 'Ur-gold'?"
"No, like 'your teeth'."

:vince:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Skinty McEdger posted:

The Orrruks lack all personality and look derivative as gently caress.
But at least they are legally distinct from Orcs!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

adamantium|wang posted:

"What, like 'Ur-gold'?"
"No, like 'your teeth'."

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

They look like they're wearing American Football gear.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
WHy does the warboss have a cat skull nailed to his shoulder plate? That looks like... really unbalancing.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Even the Orks now get Space Marine-like armor, just wow....

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
Hell yes new Orcs :dance:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Pawl posted:

I don't see any orcs there at all :confused:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I see a nice pixelated mess

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Pawl posted:

They're poo poo, and my last doubts that I could like something related to AoS are gone.

I am free.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

ro5s posted:

They're poo poo, and my last doubts that I could like something related to AoS are gone.

I am free.

Congratulations! :neckbeard:

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So Orcs in general just wear uniforms now, complete with identical skull emblems?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Looks like there will be some restock of these items after all:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

TKIY posted:

Looks like there will be some restock of these items after all: