Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Syrnn posted:

what story about poop is so important you have to use elves to tell it?

New thread title IMO

*edit* this is a terrible post to begin a new page and I can only apologize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
It's a small thing, but I appreciate how the Hellcannons open a breach and then switch to firing on defenders instead of pointlessly opening more breaches until they run out of ammo as in a lot of TW games.

Also the AI dedicating some units to defend the artillery is nice, would be nicer if it happened in field battles but ah well. TBF I've seen the AI protecting it's artillery in defensive siege and quest battles, I think it's just going on the attack that triggers the split up.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
In regards to all this talk about the Chaos gods, have a nerd and his crotchety old dad explain them. 40k, but eh, it's not like they're any different in Fantasy.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

It probably won't matter if the player has a lot of ranged weaponry. The AI can attack cleverly all it wants but it will still take huge damage just getting to the walls, the main change I can see from this game is that tower defenses have infinite range within their cone of fire so now it's the player who is going to feel the pain since he can't just sit back and blow 20 holes in the wall before attacking. I imagine people will just choose to wait out the siege in most cases now.

No, No, I've been reading the OF and they all assure me that walls are 100% useless now and don't exist because of magic ladders and teleporting so the defender has no advantage and sieges might as well not exist anymore they're so dumbed down and arcadey*.

*I will never get tired of myopic TW nerds calling anything in their niche genre mass battle strategic simulation game "arcadey". I don't think they've ever played an arcade game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

madmac posted:

No, No, I've been reading the OF and they all assure me that walls are 100% useless now and don't exist because of magic ladders and teleporting so the defender has no advantage and sieges might as well not exist anymore they're so dumbed down and arcadey*.

*I will never get tired of myopic TW nerds calling anything in their niche genre mass battle strategic simulation game "arcadey". I don't think they've ever played an arcade game.

Yeah but they're idiots. The difference between ladders and siege towers is that siege towers will vomit a whole unit onto the wall at once, while ladders are just a trickle. Honestly none of that is different from Shogun 2 except you didn't have towers in that game. Even an elite unit will have trouble against mid line infantry if they meet them four at a time while climbing the wall. The infinite range towers are an honest to god good change and it will make sieges not bore-fests.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah but they're idiots. The difference between ladders and siege towers is that siege towers will vomit a whole unit onto the wall at once, while ladders are just a trickle. Honestly none of that is different from Shogun 2 except you didn't have towers in that game. Even an elite unit will have trouble against mid line infantry if they meet them four at a time while climbing the wall. The infinite range towers are an honest to god good change and it will make sieges not bore-fests.

I'm not arguing with you man, I'm just making fun of idiots.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

madmac posted:

Well we all know how generals back in the day hovered in midair and telepathically got groups of soldiers to do what they want.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Demiurge4 posted:

How on earth did you not manage to realize his post was heavily sarcastic?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm weak and so I'm probably going to pre-order. The question is where to get it at a reasonable price. I found a 22% off gmg voucher but it expired so I'm still looking.

I am also weak for the total war games. Use the code watch25 at green man to get the price down to 45. Note that greenman is often times one of the slower sites to get their preorder keys out, so you might not have time to preload if that matters.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

DreamShipWrecked posted:

They really have been moving away from the constant spear stacks of Shogun, granted mostly due to the subject matter they have been going into. It will be interesting to see how the "triangle" of effectiveness changes

Significantly I imagine. Game might be more challenging than regular total wars. If that Orc army has 3 giants or something and you don't have much to deal with them ....

The dynamic of monsters is interesting. They seem to cream most infantry, but are bullet magnets that can be shot easily in combat.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

In the TT monsters are handled by Warmachines, Elite Units, or combat characters.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I am also weak for the total war games. Use the code watch25 at green man to get the price down to 45. Note that greenman is often times one of the slower sites to get their preorder keys out, so you might not have time to preload if that matters.

welp. I just pre-ordered. buying it 25% off is just icing on the cake. Thanks!

Honestly I have been planning to buy it before launch from the beginning.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
guys I've put 300 hours into Shogun 2 and Rome 2 combined and have never played FotS yet still have a burning itch to buy Attila to tide me over until the end of May plz help

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 10, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shumagorath posted:

guys I've put 300 hours into Shogun 2 and Rome 2 combined and have never played FotS yet still have a burning itch to buy Atilla to tide me over until the end of May plz help

Attila's pretty good I don't see the problem here.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

guys I've put 300 hours into Shogun 2 and Rome 2 combined and have never played FotS yet still have a burning itch to buy Atilla to tide me over until the end of May plz help

Is Rome 2 worth it? I really liked Napoleon and Shogun 2, and recently got Attila in a bundle, but I feel like I'm somehow missing out not having played its predecessor.

As far as Total Warhammer is concerned though, I'll definitely be getting it. While I like fantasy of all sorts, WHF is one of the few that has some a lot of late medieval/early modern elements thrown in there, albeit in a limited or shallow fashion. And, since CA seems like they'll never make a game focusing on the "pike and shot" warfare of the 16th and 17th centuries, this is about as close as it may get.

If anyone is interested in that era though, do check out the game aptly named turn-based wargame Pike and Shot. Straightforward and fun to play. I also think they do a good job of capturing the field of contemporary illustrations of formations/battles.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Thank you very much on this heads up! 25% is a pretty big deal. :3:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Fire Barrel posted:

Is Rome 2 worth it? I really liked Napoleon and Shogun 2, and recently got Attila in a bundle, but I feel like I'm somehow missing out not having played its predecessor.

Your not missing out. There are workshop mods that remove Attila specific features like climate change or weaken Sassanids or Huns. For me Rome 2 is to Attila as Empire is to Napoleon. Only get it if you speciffically want to take Rome from republic to empire or play as Selucia or something.

EDIT: pike and shot looks painful like hearts of iron. What level of sperg is it? Hearts of Iron and Wargame are like 10, TW is 6ish, Company of Heroes is a 1.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 10, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Shumagorath posted:

guys I've put 300 hours into Shogun 2 and Rome 2 combined and have never played FotS yet still have a burning itch to buy Attila to tide me over until the end of May plz help

Get Fots, it is fun.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Just watched that Chaos vs Empire vid and noticed he mentioned the Purple Sun of Xereus . Amethyst mages are some of my favourites and I hope that means they're in, otherwise I am guessing it's a spell Manfred has access to.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The ork warchief with evil crown of all people has it IIRC

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
I think its just a high level lore of death spell.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Does the GMG pre-order include the Chaos DLC? I'm not seeing it explicitly mentioned on the site's game description.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

DiHK posted:

EDIT: pike and shot looks painful like hearts of iron. What level of sperg is it? Hearts of Iron and Wargame are like 10, TW is 6ish, Company of Heroes is a 1.

Hearts of Iron and Wargame is a 10? Have I got a game for you.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

DiHK posted:

On that scale, I'd say maybe 5-7. It's actually not that complicated to play with only a very few commands to use, the complex bit is learning about all the different modifiers everything has and how they relate to each other and then making sense of all that into a coherent strategy. That being said, despite the absurd amount of specific modifiers the basic ideas can be picked up pretty quickly as long as you accept that you're going to get clowned in your first couple of battles by modifiers you didn't understand and didn't expect.

Dirtybilly
Jul 27, 2013

I for one am looking forward to this game quite a bit. I think my only question is what drove CA to make this game and how in the hell did Games workshop, literally their own worst fuckin enemy allow for the licensing. It seems like they are always one decision short of committing seppuku. I hope that this game doesn't flop as hard as Rome II at launch did. I have been a huge fan of the entirety of the Warhammer universe and am wholeheartedly wishing for this game to be great.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dirtybilly posted:

I for one am looking forward to this game quite a bit. I think my only question is what drove CA to make this game and how in the hell did Games workshop, literally their own worst fuckin enemy allow for the licensing. It seems like they are always one decision short of committing seppuku. I hope that this game doesn't flop as hard as Rome II at launch did. I have been a huge fan of the entirety of the Warhammer universe and am wholeheartedly wishing for this game to be great.

A maelstrom of chaos made this game possible including: THQ killing themselves, allowing SEGA to snap up the rights to the fantasy setting and Games Workshop killing the fantasy setting around the same time so that this game won't compete with their irl figurine game(????).

As to why CA want to make this game, it wouldn't surprise me to see quite a bit of the core team having grown up with warhammer fantasy/40k as both the company and the tabletop are british in origin. It may even be that this has been on some of their minds for years.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
BTW if you're a big fan of the Empire and absolutely NEED some pike and shot fantasy action to tide you over until Total Warhammer is out, look into Age of Wonders 3. Playing a Human Dreadnought is pretty much the Empire, steam tanks and all.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dirtybilly posted:

I would imagine that GW let this through for the same reason why we are getting games like Vermintide and Mordheim: City of the Damned, they blew up the interesting part of the lore so now they are handing out that part to whoever wants it

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
As far as GW is concerned, tabletop Fantasy is dead and thus this new fad called "video games" can't steal customers. Now it's the glorious Age of Sigmarines with God-Emperor of MankindSigmar :haw:

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Kaza42 posted:

All joking aside, I actually do really like Wood and High elves in this setting. Dark Elves are just boring edgy teenagers though. Wood Elves are pretty unique in how crazy they are, taking the tolkienian "isolationist hunters" to its logical extreme. High Elves I like because the game fully recognizes that they're enormous assholes, and almost every bad thing that has happened to them was their fault. They are arrogant, isolated and refuse to compromise their own view of How The World And Other Races Should Be even when it leads to the near collapse of their civilization. They do this while also being one of the strongest forces for good in the world, and genuinely being heroic a lot of the time. It just works for me, I guess.

As a related point, and another instance of why End Times was terrible, Malekith. Malekith uniting High and Dark elves and becoming the true King could have been a great story. Malekith is a selfish, obsessive dick willing to destroy millions of lives in a temper tantrum over not getting his way. If the story had just recognized how irredeemably awful he was, and that he is also exactly what the High Elves deserved for being such assholes, it would have worked. Instead, he's suddenly the good guy and everyone unites under him except some crazy people who can't see how awesome he is. Oh, and the wood elves can come too but they don't really count. Goddammit GW.

Yeah agreed. I always feel that a lot of the elf haters take the elf baggage from other settings and apply it to warhammer too much. Design wise and superficially the elves are pretty generically elfy but with just enough twist to make them different and more interesting in warhams imo. I mean fine, they're not for everyone but it's like how warham dwarfs could be seen as very generic dwarf archetypes but then you get the book of grudges, slayers, mad engineers and other things that're just enough to make them more interesting/distinct.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also a fair number of elf haters love Warhammer's elves because half the stories about them are 'Man gently caress those guys.'

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Tomn posted:

On that scale, I'd say maybe 5-7. It's actually not that complicated to play with only a very few commands to use, the complex bit is learning about all the different modifiers everything has and how they relate to each other and then making sense of all that into a coherent strategy. That being said, despite the absurd amount of specific modifiers the basic ideas can be picked up pretty quickly as long as you accept that you're going to get clowned in your first couple of battles by modifiers you didn't understand and didn't expect.

It's definitely got some complexity and some things that will gently caress your poo poo if you don't acknowledge them, but there's not a huge number of fiddly bits and they do a good job of introducing them in the intros to the first few battles. Basically it mitigates the fiddliness by being really stripped down.

Gejnor posted:

A maelstrom of chaos made this game possible including: THQ killing themselves, allowing SEGA to snap up the rights to the fantasy setting and Games Workshop killing the fantasy setting around the same time so that this game won't compete with their irl figurine game(????).

As to why CA want to make this game, it wouldn't surprise me to see quite a bit of the core team having grown up with warhammer fantasy/40k as both the company and the tabletop are british in origin. It may even be that this has been on some of their minds for years.

Thanks Tzeentch.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

frajaq posted:

The ork warchief with evil crown of all people has it IIRC

Yeah. Because that crown he's wearing was originally created by Nagash, the original necromancer. It contains a part of Nagashs mind, which gives the wearer the ability to quasi-instinctually do deaht magic, but also tries to influence and eventually take over the wearer. But Azagh is just too dumb and stubborn for that to work. :allears:

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

DiHK posted:

Your not missing out. There are workshop mods that remove Attila specific features like climate change or weaken Sassanids or Huns. For me Rome 2 is to Attila as Empire is to Napoleon. Only get it if you speciffically want to take Rome from republic to empire or play as Selucia or something.

That's unfortunate about Rome, but I'll just wait for Total Warhammer.

Pike and Shot is actually really straightforward to get into. I'd say maybe like a 7 or 8, but my ranking may be a bit off since I'm not just a fan of tbs and hex-based wargames, but also a huge nerd for the era. Also, there is no management like in the Paradox games and there is a very fluid, easy-to-learn battle system at its core. It is very barebones though, since the campaigns are really just strings of battles. However, it has tercios and reiters, so if that's your jam check it out!

And, if I'm honest, for all the talking up of Paradox games there is, I find I can't really get into them myself. Crusaders 2 is probably my favorite, but it would be better if it were even more focused on lower level/familial politicking. Not a huge fan of how they handle economics or war.

Edit: I'd also say a lot of Pike and Shot's battles are basically about positioning, firing lines, and knowing when to use cold steel. Not the deepest system in the world, but satisfying. And they just released a new version with expanded campaigns spanning the Italian Wars to the Great Turkish War.

Fire Barrel fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 10, 2016

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I've already forgotten all the spell names so don't crucify me, but are the green pac-man and the flaming skull from the Chaos v. Empire video supposed to function exactly the same in tabletop? And are the white vortex and purple vortex spells supposed to function exactly the same? Because they look exactly the same. I thought it was funny in the video when he said the white vortex was "similar" to the other one when in fact they look literally the same aside from color.

This isn't really a complaint, but considering that a lot of spells are buff spells it seems like a lot of the magic we might see is just similar stuff reskinned for its respective faction.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Knowing how GW designs their games the difference is probably something like "roll 10D12, roll 6D3 for scatter" vs "Roll 12D10, roll 3D6 for scatter" and/or variable range on it.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I've already forgotten all the spell names so don't crucify me, but are the green pac-man and the flaming skull from the Chaos v. Empire video supposed to function exactly the same in tabletop? And are the white vortex and purple vortex spells supposed to function exactly the same? Because they look exactly the same. I thought it was funny in the video when he said the white vortex was "similar" to the other one when in fact they look literally the same aside from color.

This isn't really a complaint, but considering that a lot of spells are buff spells it seems like a lot of the magic we might see is just similar stuff reskinned for its respective faction.

To be fair, there's not a huge amount of variation you can have in the basic purpose of a spell. The two spells might have subtle differences (say the purple spell does more overall damage but the white spell is armour-piercing), but ultimately they are both about murdering dudes. And buffs and debuffs are all geared towards the same purpose, to ensure that your dudes can murder better while being more resistant to being murdered. And the delivery method is also limited. Static AoE, mobile AoE, beam, single-target, self. There's only so much they can do mechanically.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Danann posted:

Hearts of Iron and Wargame is a 10? Have I got a game for you.

Reduce my previous scores by -2.

I've added pike and shot to my wish list.Oh it's on iOS too, wonder if it will run on my old piece of junk...

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

And are the white vortex and purple vortex spells supposed to function exactly the same? Because they look exactly the same.

Rewatched the video, the white vortexes are "Banishment" and "Chain Lightning", and neither are vortexes on the tabletop. Banishment is a superpowered holy fireball, while Chain Lightning will hit unit after unit if you keep rolling well.

Actually, a little something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHqjlxc4ius&t=150s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I can see Chain Lightning being converted to a Vortex, it's simulates the randomness of "how many targets will it hit!" in a way that's visually identifiable instead of just a bunch of under the table dice rolling.

They seem to like vortexes in general though, although we've seen some straight AOE nukes as well--Comet of Cassandra, Wind of Death, and Wind Gust, off the top of my head. Also damage spells that target a single unit instead of an area.

They really haven't done a good job of explaining magic so far. Reports from hands on demo players say that you can overcast spells by double clicking or whatever the gently caress (You can get skeletons instead of Zombies by overcasting Raise Dead, for example) and I don't think CA has demonstrated that a single time anywhere.

• Locked thread