Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

YggiDee posted:

So I just started a fresh install of Skyrim after upgrading my computer. I'm using Mod Organizer, put a bunch of mods in, checked my load order, etc etc. When I run Skyrim through it, none of my mods load. When I check the data files on the Skyrim launch screen, all it shows are the three DLCs. Anyone have a clue what's going on?
That's because Mod Morganizer keeps your mods outside of the Data folder and separate from each other. If you boot the game normally, it won't find your mods because they're not in the Data folder.
You need to boot the game through MO. When you do this, is uses some kind of voodoo to trick Skyrim into thinking your mods are present. The same goes for any other tool. If you want to use TES5Edit,. launch it through MO otherwise it won't see your mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Smol posted:

Uh oh. I tried frostfall on a new game. Somehow the authors thought I needed a 12 part perk tree for loving making fires and I also managed to get hypothermia during the tutorial cart sequence & character creation.

"An immersion mod should never get in the way of having fun.", right.

Shouldn't Frostfall be completely inert until you get the rock rolling by contemplating the stars at night?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

scamtank posted:

Shouldn't Frostfall be completely inert until you get the rock rolling by contemplating the stars at night?

Yeah that's weird. Did you start frostfall through the MCM during the cart ride or something?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I didn't think that the MCM or anything script based initialized until you got through/around Unbound.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Idk how it happened, I just installed it and turned it on my previous save which had just finished the tutorial but immediately decided to make a different character instead. Perhaps the mod remained active after that.

But anyhow, I decided that it wasn't for me. 2 separate campfire/survival perk trees and dozens of spells just to chop some wood seemed really excessive. iNeed has all the immersion that I really need.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The previous version of Frostfall was pretty good. No perk trees, less tedious crafting, less feature bloat overall really.

I like having the option to light fires and sleeping in a tent when I want to, but this just seems like busywork.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Are any of the goofy perk trees actually necessary? My impression has been that you can basically treat them as optional and ignore them if you want.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The previous version of Frostfall was pretty good. No perk trees, less tedious crafting, less feature bloat overall really.

I like having the option to light fires and sleeping in a tent when I want to, but this just seems like busywork.

The mod you want got split off into its own thing as Campfires.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
By the way, if anyone else was wondering why pressing F4 (one of SkyUI weapon set keys) causes some small lag, it's because the same key is bound to ENB's VRAM freeing function. Took me almost 5 years of playing Skyrim on and off to realize this. :v:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Raygereio posted:

That's because Mod Morganizer keeps your mods outside of the Data folder and separate from each other. If you boot the game normally, it won't find your mods because they're not in the Data folder.
You need to boot the game through MO. When you do this, is uses some kind of voodoo to trick Skyrim into thinking your mods are present. The same goes for any other tool. If you want to use TES5Edit,. launch it through MO otherwise it won't see your mods.

I am booting it through Mod Organizer, that's why this is so confusing.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

How are you checking data files on the launch screen? That shouldn't even pop up if you're running SKSE.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I run SKSE via Mod Organizer, and when Skyrim starts it's vanilla Skyrim. If I run SKSE outside of Mod Organizer, it skips the launch screen (so I assume it's working?) but naturally there's no mods that way.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Check the executable setting in MO.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Okay, so everything works if I run MO through the admin account, so I'm guessing there's something goofy going on with the permissions or UAC or whatnot.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
You installed Mod Organizer/Steam to Program Files, didn't you?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
If I did a fresh install of Skyrim via Steam, to the default locations, but haven't actually started playing, I should probably reinstall to a different folder, right? I want to mod it a little, and I just want to limit crashing/incompatibilities. Why is Skyrim modding it's own Main Quest?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

IAmTheRad posted:

You installed Mod Organizer/Steam to Program Files, didn't you?

:doh:

That's totally what I did. I remembered to keep Steam to its own folder but forgot to pull out Mid Organizer while I was at it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I've never had this problem with Steam in Program Files. But I think that's because whenever I run into trouble, I go through the rigamarole of making my account the owner of whatever program folder I need.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
All right, it's reinstall time.

Tell me about Civil War content, which of OBIS and ASIS is the one that sucks and which one I should be using, and the best weapon/armor expansions that are compatible with Morrowloot Ultimate (unless I should be using a different Morrowloot?)

e: Oh, and also:
What's the best alt start mod, is it still Live Another Life?
Best combat overhaul mod?
Anything big like Falskaar come out lately that doesn't suck?
And finally, is Sperg-Ordinator-Combined the best way to get loads of awesome perks, because I definitely want SPERG and I've never tried Ordinator, or does anyone have a better recommendation?

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 10, 2016

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Looking forward to a new updated OP, as is what sounds like is in the works. My newest clean install from the beginning of January is not looking so great. I try to pair down to just the basics, but you end up falling down the rabbit hole of recommended mods and required dependencies and end up with like 100+ anyhow. I hate how unstable and ultimately unusable my games become. Last I played I finally stopped after chain-crashing while fighting a dragon. The worst part is there seems to be no way to predict or recover from a bad save once you're tens of hours into it, which is why I need to try to cut down on the number of variables I am introducing.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

All right, it's reinstall time.

Tell me about Civil War content, which of OBIS and ASIS is the one that sucks and which one I should be using, and the best weapon/armor expansions that are compatible with Morrowloot Ultimate (unless I should be using a different Morrowloot?)

e: Oh, and also:
What's the best alt start mod, is it still Live Another Life?
Best combat overhaul mod?
Anything big like Falskaar come out lately that doesn't suck?
And finally, is Sperg-Ordinator-Combined the best way to get loads of awesome perks, because I definitely want SPERG and I've never tried Ordinator, or does anyone have a better recommendation?

I can't prove it, but OBIS seems crashy to me. ASIS is a neat idea but I find it more trouble than it's worth. So I guess use ASIS.

Skyrim Unbound seems a lot more powerful than Live Another Life. I tried LAL once, went immediately back to Unbound. I would say Unbound is better for avoiding dumb bullshit and letting you start with the gear and spells that fit what you want to do, and LAL is oriented towards forcing you into an "interesting role-playing experience" or something. If you're into that poo poo, it might be better for you.

Ordinator looks a lot like gilding the SPERG lily to me.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Also, LOOT looks different. I still only have to click "Sort Plugins" and then "Apply", right? Do I care about this Mator Smash thing?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I finally got my computer running again and have to start from scratch, maybe this will be the time I actually pare down my modlist to something less than completely ridiculous just because it's going to take forever to redownload everything. I'm glad the nexus kept track of everything at least, I wasn't looking forward to trying to remember what all I was running.

I'm also interested in the Mator Smash thing, is it retard-ready yet? I was holding off because it's always seemed a bit complicated every time I looked at it and it seemed like the guy was working toward a push-button easy version so I thought that would be worth waiting for. Starting over from zero seems like a good time to get updated on new tools though.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Okay so my PS3 is probably dying and can't handle Skyrim anymore, it just locks up 3 out of 4 times whenever it goes to a loading screens. So since I still crave a bit of Skyrim from time to time, and it can be found on the cheap, I got myself the legendary edition for PC.

Now, since I have played vanilla for hundreds of hours, I'd like to spice things up a bit so I came here but it's pretty overwhelming. Please help me out here, first time modding a Bethesda game and it's really daunting right now.

From what I can gather from the OP, the things I need in order to actually have mods are:
- SKSE
- Mod organizer

then for mods, what interests me most is more variety and more poo poo to do that is not main-quest-related so survival, crafting, etc mods - these would be my picks:

- SkyUI
- the unofficial patch for legendary edition
- SPERG (worth it?)
- Alternate start live another life (because I did the Helgen poo poo 5 times by now)
- Apocalypse spells
- Thunder shouts
- Realistic need&diseases
- Frostfall
- Hunterborn

am I forgetting something? Any advice for a first-time mod user? Any more absolute must-have mods?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I prefer Skyrim Unbound over LAL, but that's a matter of preference.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Dammit all you people starting over when I haven't finished the new OP. :argh:

Quick recommendations without links cause I'm phoneposting:

SPERG, apocalypse spells, Thunderchild, Aurora Doomstones, imperious races, Dwemertech, Spectraverse, Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade + its integrated mods, Immersive Armors, Aetherium Weapons And Armor, Frostfall, iNeed, Interesting NPCs, Brhuce Hammar: Legacy, Aethernautics, Blackreach Railroad, The Wheels of Lull, Lost Wonders of Mzark, Konahriks Accoutrenents, ASIS + my Improved ASIS INIs, deadly dragons, dragon soul relinquishment, Imaginator, Revenge of the Enemies 2016.

As for Mator Smash, it's pretty darn good, and the new OP is going to contain a guide on using it.

The new OP is about halfway done and its already 40k characters. :smithicide:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Agents are GO! posted:

Quick recommendations without links cause I'm phoneposting:

SPERG, apocalypse spells, Thunderchild, Aurora Doomstones, imperious races, Dwemertech, Spectraverse, Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade + its integrated mods, Immersive Armors, Aetherium Weapons And Armor, Frostfall, iNeed, Interesting NPCs, Brhuce Hammar: Legacy, Aethernautics, Blackreach Railroad, The Wheels of Lull, Lost Wonders of Mzark, Konahriks Accoutrenents, ASIS + my Improved ASIS INIs, deadly dragons, dragon soul relinquishment, Imaginator, Revenge of the Enemies 2016.

As for Mator Smash, it's pretty darn good, and the new OP is going to contain a guide on using it.

The new OP is about halfway done and its already 40k characters. :smithicide:

Oh God so much stuff.

I just installed SKSE and Mod Organizer, now I'm slapping everything I want (and then some) in it and hope that it will all just work out.

Wish me luck :v:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Gooble gobble, gooble gobble, one of us, one of us! We accept you, we accept you, one of us, one of us!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Agents are GO! posted:

this is all I want out of the OP so just post it now. For me, because I'm important. Me. Meeee.

tonberrykng
May 1, 2009

TorakFade posted:

Okay so my PS3 is probably dying and can't handle Skyrim anymore, it just locks up 3 out of 4 times whenever it goes to a loading screens. So since I still crave a bit of Skyrim from time to time, and it can be found on the cheap, I got myself the legendary edition for PC.
It's not your PS3. Skyrim specifically runs like poo poo on the PS3 when you play a save for extended lengths of time.

You should still give the PC version a go since modding is glorious, but don't toss your PS3 or anything.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

PC Skyrim is so much fun. I had no real interest in any Elder Scrolls game until my friend was like "check out what you can do with mods."

About 100 mods later from graphical tweaks, to gameplay to sweet looking items and armour I have the game I actually want to play.

My girlfriend was big into Skyrim on the 360. I threw my old 660 in her ACER machine and bought her Skyrim Legendary for $10 on sale. I threw on about 45 mods (mostly gameplay and quality of life) for her and she's having a great time replaying a game tweaked enough that it's a bit of a new experience.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
It's not even the "completely modify the base experience" angle of mods I like. It's how it can get a good game and make it loving great by just improving on stuff that was already there.

Grab the base game, throw in SkyUI, SPERG (and Live Another Life for a replay), and you have a greatly enhanced "vanilla" experience, without even getting into Quality of Life stuff or graphics enhancements.

/edit: This is not to say I don't like stuff that changes the way the game works (like frostfall), overhauls like crafting/magic/combat systems or immersion stuff nor am I saying people shouldn't use it; on the contrary, there's a lot of incredible stuff out there. It's just that when someone mentions modding a game a lot of people immediately picture something completely unrecognisable from the base experience, when it can just be used to address issues most people mention when complaining about Skyrim.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 10, 2016

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

hampig posted:

Big update to Legacy of the Dragonborn. It's still my favourite mod because instead of trying to fix Skyrim's many shortcomings, it runs with Skyrim's considerable strengths instead and just makes them better.

I've seen people recommend this but whenever I look at the mod page it just looks like an enormous bloated mess to me. Why is the mod good? And is it really worth downloading about 2.5GB of mod?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

tonberrykng posted:

It's not your PS3. Skyrim specifically runs like poo poo on the PS3 when you play a save for extended lengths of time.

You should still give the PC version a go since modding is glorious, but don't toss your PS3 or anything.

Oh. That explains a lot. Good to know my ps3 isn't fried!

Anyway what do you know, I installed something like 30 mods and everything works flawlessly for now, having a ton of fun with frostfall, hunterborn and ineeds. Also of course the khajiti speech mod.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Zeron posted:

I've seen people recommend this but whenever I look at the mod page it just looks like an enormous bloated mess to me. Why is the mod good? And is it really worth downloading about 2.5GB of mod?

It's a neat idea, but IMHO no, it's not worth it. I gave up on it when I realized that he's never going to polish what he's made, he's just going to keep adding poo poo and releasing new versions every two weeks.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
One nice thing about starting over on a clean, brand-new install is I can be a lot more tidy about how I save and install things vs when I started and had a jumbled mess.

Looking forward to the Mator Smash guide!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
This isn't a modding question but I'm a bit confused.

It turns out that I don't have the summon boneman spell, after visiting the soul cairn (and me being a conjurer, I was 99% sure I snagged it up along with wrathman).

So I was in solstheim and I tried to summon the book ( player.additem(/placeatme) xx0045b0 (1) )...and it didn't work? But I have a bunch of other dawnguard spells and items...

So a couple of things

A) What the hell is going on

B) Can I go to the soul cairn without re-becoming a vampire?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Try addspell xx0045ba to just put the spell right in your inventory instead of grabbing the book? also you looked for Conjure Boneman and not Summon Boneman right? Just checking :v:

also, per UESP, "The Soul Cairn may be re-entered at any time. However, if you enter as a vampire and are subsequently cured of vampirism, you'll need to become a vampire again in order to re-enter."

It's possible you could skip that poo poo with coc, just use "coc DLC01SoulCairnOrigin" and then I usually do "coc whiterun" to get out but whatever, teleport anywhere

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Is this related to too many mods? In only have like 60. Characters I am supposed to follow take forever to start walking along with some other things taking longer than usual to trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

rio posted:

Is this related to too many mods? In only have like 60. Characters I am supposed to follow take forever to start walking along with some other things taking longer than usual to trigger.
Did you change the timescale? If so, set it back to the default and see if you still have that happen. If not, do you have a lot of script-heavy mods?

• Locked thread