Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
gently caress, I missed the warhams discussion by a page. Anyway, for the third time I had someone ask me if I was skydiving while I was running errands in my riding suit. As in there's no irony, they thought I was jumping out of a plane then decided to grab some milk on the way home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I've had the same thing happen to me several times. I think it says something about riding culture in the US when people are more willing to accept that you jumped out of a plane than wore proper equipment to ride a motorcycle.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Finally found out why two consecutive sets of brake rotors were warped... My front wheel must have hit a curb or been in an accident before I bought the bike, and it's very slightly warped -_-

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Are they actually warped or are the buttons just dirty? I need to clean the buttons on my rotors every ~6-9k of commuting or the rotors start to pulse. A bent rim shouldn't affect your rotors at all, unless your bearings/spacers are hosed or the mating surfaces where the rotors mount is messed up, as the rotors (should be) fixed in space against the brake calipers. If the wheel doesn't have side to side play, the rotors are roughly centered in the calipers, then it's probably a problem elsewhere.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Z3n posted:

Are they actually warped or are the buttons just dirty? I need to clean the buttons on my rotors every ~6-9k of commuting or the rotors start to pulse.

How do you do this? Take the discs off completely or?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Renaissance Robot posted:

How do you do this? Take the discs off completely or?

Spray some cleaner on the brake buttons, rotate them, repeat until they move freely.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Get some brake cleaner, a bolt about the size of the ID of the buttons and two nuts that fit the bolt.

Thread one nut onto the bolt, stick the bolt through the button and thread the other nut on so the button is sandwiched between the nuts. Tighten the nuts until turning the bolt also turns the button.

Grab a ratchet and your brake cleaner and spray the button while you rotate it until you can feel it turning easier. Repeat for the rest of the buttons.

When you're done spray the rotor to get any gunk off it

That's how you clean your buttons.

The first bike I had to do this on was my versys. At just 4K miles the buttons were dirty enough that the rotors no longer floated and the brakes shuddered like crazy. After the cleaning it was like a new braking system.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Unless they're totally seized, you don't need to do any of that stuff with nuts and bolts, just wear washing-up gloves and use your finger to work the buttons loose. Takes about ten minutes to do all three disks.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Well, I can't figure out what else it might be, since four entire rotors so far have had the same pulsing problem. It's not the bearings or anything like that - it's speed dependant, when slowly rolling to a stop at a light, you can feel half the diameter of the rotor grab and then let go. Braking hard at high speeds chatters the whole front end (can get video on my next TD).

How would rotor buttons affect that? Idk if it matters, but I have the speedo magnets on one side for the sv gsxr speedo fix.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Going to have to try that, my brakes are shuddering quite hard when braking from speed and I'd assumed it could only be a warped rotor.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Speaking of brakes, I sometimes get a loud click from somewhere in my bike's front end, right as the bike settles after hard braking. So I'll accelerate up to a good speed, brake hard, and after the weight shifts forward I hear a single loud CLACK. It doesn't happen every time I decelerate, only after I've gotten up to a good speed; it doesn't even happen every time I decelerate from high speed; and it never happens more than once in a given cycle.

I ask about brakes because I don't think it's the steering -- I don't notice any slop or notchiness in the stem, or other signs that something is wrong. But the sound could be coming from anywhere. What should I be looking at?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 9, 2016

M42
Nov 12, 2012

What brand forks are on your bike? Showas do that. Mine does it too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Unless they're totally seized, you don't need to do any of that stuff with nuts and bolts

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The buttons were dirty enough that the rotors no longer floated and the brakes shuddered like crazy. After the cleaning it was like a new braking system.

Mine were locked tight, and were even kinda hard to turn with the ratchet

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

Well, I can't figure out what else it might be, since four entire rotors so far have had the same pulsing problem. It's not the bearings or anything like that - it's speed dependant, when slowly rolling to a stop at a light, you can feel half the diameter of the rotor grab and then let go. Braking hard at high speeds chatters the whole front end (can get video on my next TD).

How would rotor buttons affect that? Idk if it matters, but I have the speedo magnets on one side for the sv gsxr speedo fix.

Do you have factory gsxr discs or those terrible ebay 'petal' shaped ones? I've had nothing but bad experiences with those, they always seem to get shudder.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

M42 posted:

Modern rotors are designed to "float" and self center between the carriers and the calipers for maximum efficiency and consistency in braking force. They can move side to side a little bit so they sit right between the pads. If the buttons get gummed up and jammed, they don't "float" anymore, and instead they're locked at whatever location they jammed up at. So under braking the rotors center on free buttons, but then it hits one that is packed with grit and can't center anymore, and your brakes pulse as the rotor suddenly moves a bit to one side.

If you can't freely rotate the buttons by hand, the buttons have have seized up. You might have caused inconsistent buildup of brake pad material on the rotors by riding them like this for an extended period, but usually you have to go pretty hard to have that happen.

Modern rotors fully floating rotors don't "warp" under any normal (or even track/race) use. At best, you just need to clean the buttons, at worst, you need to scrub the inconsistent brake pad material deposits off with a rotor honer or some sandpaper. You pretty much have to bend the things by hitting them with something to get them to warp.

Sagebrush posted:

Speaking of brakes, I sometimes get a loud click from somewhere in my bike's front end, right as the bike settles after hard braking. So I'll accelerate up to a good speed, brake hard, and after the weight shifts forward I hear a single loud CLACK. It doesn't happen every time I decelerate, only after I've gotten up to a good speed; it doesn't even happen every time I decelerate from high speed; and it never happens more than once in a given cycle.

I ask about brakes because I don't think it's the steering -- I don't notice any slop or notchiness in the stem, or other signs that something is wrong. But the sound could be coming from anywhere. What should I be looking at?

Head bearings. When you transfer load, the bearings slap. But sometimes they preload more gracefully so you don't get the clack.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Z3n posted:

Head bearings. When you transfer load, the bearings slap. But sometimes they preload more gracefully so you don't get the clack.

So, not normal, then, right? I should be aiming to tighten them up?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Z3n posted:

Modern rotors

Define? I'm fairly sure my front end was known to be a bit poo poo when new, and despite rolling out of the factory in 2001 the design hasn't changed since 1989.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Z3n posted:

rotor buttons

:aaaaa: Well I'll be. Gonna blast it with brake cleaner and see if it works. Thanks!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Define? I'm fairly sure my front end was known to be a bit poo poo when new, and despite rolling out of the factory in 2001 the design hasn't changed since 1989.

What bike?

Sagebrush posted:

So, not normal, then, right? I should be aiming to tighten them up?

Yup. They might also just be worn out and need to be replaced.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Head bearings are easy to check if you jack up the front of the bike. I can confirm some forks make noise too, if I sit on my bike and roll it forward while sharply jabbing the brake I can make it go clunk-clunk-clunk from the forks.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Z3n posted:

What bike?

ZZR600E-9. Tokico calipers (blegh), not sure about the discs.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Some brake calipers also allow a bit of pad movement that you can hear as the pads slide back and forth

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Fuckin snowed again today.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Something worse than those 'Polite' high vis jackets you see over here, friend took this today.

I didn't realize our police rode scooters :crossarms:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Keket posted:

Something worse than those 'Polite' high vis jackets you see over here, friend took this today.

I didn't realize our police rode scooters :crossarms:

:3: They're just so adorable in their Crowtree leathers and Shoei flip-up lids on their little three-wheeled scooters, like a kid dressing up in mummy's clothes.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Hahaha, I've only seen the actual big-boy motorcycle police around, but yeah, that dude i posted was full on poser apparently.

I really don't get the mentally of it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
"Cars won't gently caress with me if they think I'm the fuzz". Same deal as those Baby on Board stickers really.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

:3: They're just so adorable in their Crowtree leathers and Shoei flip-up lids on their little three-wheeled scooters, like a kid dressing up in mummy's clothes.

Somehow a three wheeled piaggio scooter is the perfect symbol of the petty fascism embodied by PCSOs.

e/ this is the kind of person I'd expect to give me poo poo for parking my bike on the pavement in the middle of a city.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Apr 11, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

"Cars won't gently caress with me if they think I'm the fuzz". Same deal as those Baby on Board stickers really.
It's more that people have a sixth sense when it comes to spotting police vehicles, so if you're easily mistaken for a police bike you get a whole lot less SMIDSYs. In theory.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

On one hand I should ride responsibly and do my best to be a positive ambassador for the sport of motorcycling, and being respectful to local law enforcement is a part of that. On the other hand, as someone on a *throat clearing noise reminiscent of when the exhaust rattled off my drz*real motorcycle I know I shouldn't acknowledge trikes. :ohdear:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Please don't scootershame or trikeshame

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ZZR600E-9. Tokico calipers (blegh), not sure about the discs.

Yeah you have floating rotors on there.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Cool. I checked just now and the buttons are gummed up good, so that's something to do this week.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Thanks z3n, going to check mine as well when I get it out of cold storage. I remember some pulsating on on the front from last year. Now all cycle asylum is gonna go check their brake rotor buttons this week.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

AFAIK the "baby on board" thing is to let first responders know there's potentially a child in the car.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Pope Mobile posted:

AFAIK the "baby on board" thing is to let first responders know there's potentially a child in the car.

Nope it's some bullshit yuppie 80s thing that somehow never went away.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, those signs were originally only made to try and appeal to people's "aww a baby" feelings and make them drive more carefully. Just a dumb fad like the suction cup Garfields.

Later, someone made up an origin story about a baby rolling under the seats in an accident and being left behind to die by the EMTs, and that took hold because people love inventing and repeating horrible stories about dead babies.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The Piaggio MP3 is cool and good.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Chris Knight posted:

Nope it's some bullshit yuppie 80s thing that somehow never went away.

After a little bit of research, I done been learnt.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Anyone else ever notice that cars with those stupid baby on board signs in the window are also some of the most aggressive, not-paying-attention, cut-you-off-and-don't-give-a-gently caress cars on the road?

If anything those signs should be required to only be mounted on the inside of the front windshield or on the dash, facing the dipshit driver to remind them that they need to drive more carefully because of their own child onboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Maybe it's for them, so they don't leave the baby in the hot car while getting nails done.