Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Pilsner posted:

Speaking of this, can anyone recall raid guilds back in the day "exploiting" clickies such as Soulfire, Ivy Hoop and the like? I wasn't in the top raid scene back then, but you'd wonder why anyone would ever wipe to a 32k dragon if they had Ivy Hoops at hand back then...

It's funny to see that server-wide broadcast constantly on P99 when someone obtains a Soulfire. I guess raiders are on a constant grind on off-raid hours for the quest items.

Back in the day for Zlan we all kept jboots, bracers of the hidden and gnomish tinker telescopes around as Zlan's dispel bait. It wasn't so bad to just reclick everything between casts to keep your important buffs up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

It happened but it wasn't anywhere near as widespread as far as I saw, and can remember. Clicky abuse was isolated to the top groups in the top guilds - most players didn't even know about recharging at that point.

One of the guilds I was in on live, Leviathan on Stormhammer, was run by two former raid leaders of Fires of Heaven (Krurk and Zamtil). We definitely made use of clickies, but we did not have our entire stable of Warriors set up with Midnight Mallets, Puppet Strings, Prayers of Life, and Bladestoppers like Aftermath/Awakened do.

On live I knew one person that I can remember who quested a Soulfire for CH charges. Majority of people didn't even know you could use it from inventory and thought it was PAL only. Same thing with Reapers of the Dead.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
In my guild on live we didn't have a lot of consumable CH/aggro clicky use, not because the quests or recharging was unknown, but because it was too expensive/time consuming to do them, especially since they weren't really necessary due to competition being less crazy than it is on P99 blue. That said, we did have a lot of people boxing, many of them playing from internet cafes in Europe or university computer labs in the US (you really had to have two separate machines back then). Zland was like many old world and kunark raids in that it was all about having sufficient dispel bait buffs as DeathSandwich said. He wasn't a particularly difficult fight for us compared to some NToV dragons and Sontalak, but we were also always light on numbers and DPS races were rough.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Forming a raiding guild alternative to <Tempest> on red right now if that interests anyone.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
A lot of middling raiding guilds on Rathe split up because of Avatar of War in Kael wrecking people who weren't 100% on CH cycles or geared just right, has that been a big point of contention on p99 ?

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Forming a raiding guild alternative to <Tempest> on red right now if that interests anyone.

Need a bard? I got a 55 kicking around.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

KingFisher posted:

Need a bard? I got a 55 kicking around.

Definitely, we don't have a bard yet! I'm Anime in game, or you can contact Andis/Squats/Saibor for an invite!

We are named <Dominion> and nothing is really decided or official yet. But I will say we have been throwing around some really unique ideas the server's never seen before, if we end up going with them. Most of us are US timezone players ranging from sicko isomniacs to filthy casuals.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Apr 7, 2016

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Definitely, we don't have a bard yet! I'm Anime in game, or you can contact Andis/Squats/Saibor for an invite!

We are named <Dominion> and nothing is really decided or official yet. But I will say we have been throwing around some really unique ideas the server's never seen before, if we end up going with them. Most of us are US timezone players ranging from sicko isomniacs to filthy casuals.

If I join will you let me tank things and only play on the weekends?

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
We still haven't decided when raids will be

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

ohno posted:

who was your main in TMO? My guess ... Happyfeets. The only other druids that I can think of that made it past 1000 dkp were Portsche and Fountree. Portsche got his crown sometime later than that ... and I doubt Fountree would have gotten a crown.

Twaila Twelvetoes

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

We still haven't decided when raids will be

I have a 50 something cleric. I can not express how unlikely my west coast schedule is to match up, but if it does, i can log in. I would even grind to 60.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Hexel, do you still play this dumb game?

DarkStryke
Jun 7, 2006

Pilsner posted:

Speaking of this, can anyone recall raid guilds back in the day "exploiting" clickies such as Soulfire, Ivy Hoop and the like? I wasn't in the top raid scene back then, but you'd wonder why anyone would ever wipe to a 32k dragon if they had Ivy Hoops at hand back then...
I was running at/near the top for everything from release through Velious, and there was no clicky farming or any of that garbage that has gone on with p1999 raiding. At best we ran recharging on some items (ivy hoops weren't one of them), but the guys here have taken neckbearding and outright exploiting to unprecedented levels. It's crazy and at the same time depressing, these are middle-aged men acting far worse than they did almost 20 years ago.

Outside of raiding, the server is really great and pleasant for most people.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

FranktheBank posted:

I have a 50 something cleric. I can not express how unlikely my west coast schedule is to match up, but if it does, i can log in. I would even grind to 60.

so far the guild's technically on an est schedule, but about half of us are west coast including myself. nobody's gonna make you raid at weird or unusual hours and there's been a lot of talk about making the guild more west coast friendly than empire was.

we're going to be working on ways to reward both casual and neckbeard players. we are a raiding guild, but there's been talks of an alternative pvp-based rewards system. who knows we're a new guild, sky's the limit, we gotta kill some dragons first. i'm not an officer, just an ideas man :]

there's also talks we may start an associated leveling guild for new players, ala thunderdome. anyone would be welcome and we would do guild-sponsored events and pl sessions. eventually item giveaways and such once we become established. cool things like that. or we may just help out thunderdome, we're allied with them.

edit: our guild app page http://goo.gl/forms/Ao01JbE0O7

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 8, 2016

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Dirt posted:

Hexel, do you still play this dumb game?

Excuse me sir I am historical mmorpg reenactor.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

KingFisher posted:

Excuse me sir I am historical mmorpg reenactor.

oh

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

DarkStryke posted:

I was running at/near the top for everything from release through Velious, and there was no clicky farming or any of that garbage that has gone on with p1999 raiding. At best we ran recharging on some items (ivy hoops weren't one of them), but the guys here have taken neckbearding and outright exploiting to unprecedented levels. It's crazy and at the same time depressing, these are middle-aged men acting far worse than they did almost 20 years ago.

Outside of raiding, the server is really great and pleasant for most people.
Reminds me of the Staff of Forbidden Rites; that is one I definitely remember people using. Guilds would give it to a Monk, who could then do effective CR.

I recall it that the recharge/buyback price was yanked up to the millions during Luclin, making it ineffective to recharge.

Rlazgoth
Oct 10, 2003
I attack people at random.
After reinstalling EQ and realizing that the live server is nothing like what I remember, I got P1999 up and running and started an Enchanter on blue. I quit EQ over 10 years ago so I forgot many of the game's subtleties, and selected Tunare for deity when creating the character. I am now level 10 and not very willing to reroll as I'm quite some hours in, but everyone is telling me that by not being Agnostic, I locked myself out of the Enchanter epic as well as a bunch of quests and spells. Am I truly hosed or are there workarounds for this?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Rlazgoth posted:

After reinstalling EQ and realizing that the live server is nothing like what I remember, I got P1999 up and running and started an Enchanter on blue. I quit EQ over 10 years ago so I forgot many of the game's subtleties, and selected Tunare for deity when creating the character. I am now level 10 and not very willing to reroll as I'm quite some hours in, but everyone is telling me that by not being Agnostic, I locked myself out of the Enchanter epic as well as a bunch of quests and spells. Am I truly hosed or are there workarounds for this?

I'm doing the enc epic on live as we speak, on a Dark Elf, and even on Live, I can illusion my way out of every city I need to visit. I think you'll be fine. If not, there are simple quests you can do to increase necessary faction, or, according to Alla, an NPC you can kill in order to get faction for the evil Qeynos caster underground place.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 9, 2016

Rlazgoth
Oct 10, 2003
I attack people at random.

Pilsner posted:

I'm doing the enc epic on live as we speak, on a Dark Elf, and even on Live, I can illusion my way out of every city I need to visit. I think you'll be fine. If not, there are simple quests you can do to increase necessary faction.

The problem is not the race itself. Specifically, what I was told (and looked up) is that by having Tunare as deity, even with illusion I'll remain KOS in Neriak and other cities I'll eventually need to go to. I guess the DE equivalent would be choosing Innoruuk?

I played a Paladin on live and I just grinded factions the old way, but people are making it sound like deity choice outright breaks some class specific quests that depend on illusions.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Rlazgoth posted:

The problem is not the race itself. Specifically, what I was told (and looked up) is that by having Tunare as deity, even with illusion I'll remain KOS in Neriak and other cities I'll eventually need to go to. I guess the DE equivalent would be choosing Innoruuk?

I played a Paladin on live and I just grinded factions the old way, but people are making it sound like deity choice outright breaks some class specific quests that depend on illusions.
Hmm well, in Neriak you "just" need to kill a level 60 NPC surrounded by a shitload of guards and Cleric NPCs. I'm not sure if a goodie-two-shoes High Elf Enchanter, agnostic or not, can just walz into Neriak without faction work.

You also need to visit Felwithe and chat with a Paladin for a quest. That will obviously be no problem as Tunare deity. Then there's Cabilis and Oggok where you need to kill (Cabilis) and quest (Oggok); both nasty cities. No enchanters are welcome in Cabilis, only Dark Elves are welcome in Oggok. Illusions and Alliance spell should take care of Oggok.

Ak'anon has another major quest NPC, Tunare should be more than welcome. Same with the Firiona Vie master NPC.

All in all the only major issues I can think of is the Qeynos catacombs sub-quest and maybe the Neriak kill.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I have an Erudite enchanter on Blue, and I wish so badly I was a D.Elf for Hide

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

lemonslol posted:

I have an Erudite enchanter on Blue, and I wish so badly I was a D.Elf for Hide

Innate hide makes charm kiting so much easier.

If you want to get back to 10 again after re rolling I can power level you a bit this weekend.

I couldn't imagine trying to do the Stein of Moggok quest without being agnostic.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Pilsner posted:

Hmm well, in Neriak you "just" need to kill a level 60 NPC surrounded by a shitload of guards and Cleric NPCs. I'm not sure if a goodie-two-shoes High Elf Enchanter, agnostic or not, can just walz into Neriak without faction work.

You also need to visit Felwithe and chat with a Paladin for a quest. That will obviously be no problem as Tunare deity. Then there's Cabilis and Oggok where you need to kill (Cabilis) and quest (Oggok); both nasty cities. No enchanters are welcome in Cabilis, only Dark Elves are welcome in Oggok. Illusions and Alliance spell should take care of Oggok.

Ak'anon has another major quest NPC, Tunare should be more than welcome. Same with the Firiona Vie master NPC.

All in all the only major issues I can think of is the Qeynos catacombs sub-quest and maybe the Neriak kill.

I may be wrong about this because of it being like 15 years ago but the Dark Elf NPC in Neriak isn't around anything that sees invis or aggros when she(?) is attacked.

Then again I wasn't a HE Tunare Enchanter, I was Human Rodcet Nife

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Rlazgoth posted:

Lev 10 is nothing especially considering the availability of power-leveling (can get to 10+ easily in a session). I would definitely re-roll as Dark Elf Agnostic.

Troll
Jan 15, 2012
Did Velious release any 11+ piercing weapons I can afford at poverty level income?

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Troll posted:

Did Velious release any 11+ piercing weapons I can afford at poverty level income?

there are two

small dragonbone shard (spelling correct?) is 13/26 at 1k

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Troll posted:

Crystalline Spears (13/30) go for about 1k now. This is silly because Thunder Runed War Spears (13/30 with decent stats) average 800p.

Small dragonbone shard (13/26) is 1k-2k, but is limited to small races only.

Frozen Shard (13/26 with a proc) and Serpent's Tooth (13/27 with minor stats) go for about 2k each.

Troll
Jan 15, 2012
Thunder Runed War Spear it is. Wish I'd rolled small race.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Troll posted:

Wish I'd rolled small race.

At least you didn't realize this after getting a primal and having the sleeper awoken on your server ;) silver linings

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008
I finally got 4 Iksar Bloods yesterday, so whenever you have a couple of minutes on your Iksar to make the missing pieces let me know.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

SoUr posted:

I finally got 4 Iksar Bloods yesterday, so whenever you have a couple of minutes on your Iksar to make the missing pieces let me know.

Congrats, I'll hop on this evening ~7pm EST and meet you in Cabilis. PM me if you'd like to arrange a later hour.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Now that P99 is drawing close to the end of the classic era, is there any word on what comes next? Personally, I'd love to see a fresh server following the original patch and expansion release timeline.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Did they nerf the 6 minute bard diet? I tried 2 of them last night: Drizda and the Dark Deathsinger and both of their respawns are 22 minutes now :negative:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Feedbacker posted:

a fresh server following the original patch and expansion release timeline.

Nilbog has always planned to do this - he's treated blue as the testbed for patches and bugfixes for a future, super-accurate-timeline server. That said, there's quite a few Velious content and mechanics patches left, so I wouldn't expect P99 green or whatever they end up calling it anytime soon.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

That said, there's quite a few Velious content and mechanics patches left, so I wouldn't expect P99 green or whatever they end up calling it anytime soon.

I just need them to patch in the unrest npc so I can complete my Brell's Blessed Stout summoning neck piece. Then, game over.

Troll
Jan 15, 2012
Anyone on red have a Thunder Runed War Spear to sell?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Nilbog has always planned to do this - he's treated blue as the testbed for patches and bugfixes for a future, super-accurate-timeline server. That said, there's quite a few Velious content and mechanics patches left, so I wouldn't expect P99 green or whatever they end up calling it anytime soon.

But what happens when *that* server hits the end of Classic? Is there just no plan for that yet, given it is so far out?

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

But what happens when *that* server hits the end of Classic? Is there just no plan for that yet, given it is so far out?

the idea is the server would reset and dump all the characters to the regular blue server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnz0r
Sep 21, 2005

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

At least you didn't realize this after getting a primal and having the sleeper awoken on your server ;) silver linings

Primal Gnome for pvp def the way to go, can't beat never needing shrink pots, or sow pots. I am so tiny in skeleton form its almost impossible for any melee to follow me.