Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Morbi posted:

Seeing that exchange out of context was literally what got me to start reading Paranat. It's the best.

Paranatural's writing is a treasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Wittgen posted:

Petunia being a martial arts master who turned pacifist was mentioned a few times in the first couple of chapters.

lol, wut

A.o.D. posted:

Petunia being a martial arts master is one of those "secrets" that's known to almost everyone except the protagonist and the reader. It's been hinted at since the very first story, and has constantly been alluded to since then. I guess now is when we're getting that payoff.

Wait... what?

Captain Oblivious posted:

We have found the only person other than Poppy O'Possum herself that didn't know this :haw:

loving what? Are you guys honestly serious here? gently caress, I just reread the archives like twice and didn't see poo poo about that. I even read all the author comments on the bottom of the page and the mouseover text. What!?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Captain Bravo posted:

lol, wut

Wait... what?

loving what? Are you guys honestly serious here? gently caress, I just reread the archives like twice and didn't see poo poo about that. I even read all the author comments on the bottom of the page and the mouseover text. What!?

Very first chapters with Valente it's indicated Petunia is more dangerous than she is willing to be and it's referenced multiple times afterwards. Including by Moonshine threatening to spill Petunias SECRET BACKSTORY in order to get brought along to this whole shindig, this chapter.

It's been super super obvious that Petunia was more than she let on for a while now. She's a terrible liar.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Here's one example. Poppy is unfortunately one of those comics that has fanart, fancomics, and one offs in line with the actual comic instead of off by themselves. I don't feel like navigating looking for the other hints, but they were around.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
So hey guys, does anyone here know what's up with copyrezo? kiwisbybeat.com is down and he doesn't seem to be answering e-mails.

https://www.reddit.com/r/comics/comments/44g0w5/kiwis_by_beat_website_down/

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I went to go catch up on Poppy, but in trying to find where I left off I discovered that I somehow went from part 2 directly to part 4 and missed 3 entirely :shepface:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Chapter 4 (the monastery) was originally chapter 3. Morbi got like three quarters of the way through it and then went OH gently caress because he'd forgotten that the ending wouldn't make any sense if we the audience hadn't seen what is now chapter 3.

So one of the coolest fight scenes ever got postponed for months because of mystery plot reasons. Turned out to be well worth it though.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

Skimming quickly through the archives.

Petunia used to be expected to put up a fight, but at some point became a pacifist.
Petunia has her own take on how she'd have handled the Boris fight.
She completely disables Poppy with a pinch here.

Also as a callback to the April fools post I refer y'all to this(panel 5) and this(panel 7), the Robo-cast proposition is real! :v: Mary is also apparently a direct descendant of Madam Mystana and may be her reincarnation :science:. I don't have any links for Mary not existing though!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I really need to pay better attention, I didn't see the pinch at all. I just thought she started rubbing Poppy under her chin to calm her down, like a dog. :negative:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

I really need to pay better attention, I didn't see the pinch at all. I just thought she started rubbing Poppy under her chin to calm her down, like a dog. :negative:

Maybe that's what Iron Lace Palm grandmasters do. It's all pressure points, you see.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
I'm on a roll these days: http://bunnymeat.webcomic.ws/comics/27

Three more left in the Tale of Nivose.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
We finally got to see the baboons in Demon.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That progress meter is looking awfully red.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

All that remains to see is if he can top "I'm back, bitches!" before it ends.

I wonder how many Jimmys are left. The one we're seeing right now is pretty hosed up.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 10, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Dr Christmas posted:

We finally got to see the baboons in Demon.

...but those are mandrills!

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Renaissance Robot posted:

Chapter 4 (the monastery) was originally chapter 3. Morbi got like three quarters of the way through it and then went OH gently caress because he'd forgotten that the ending wouldn't make any sense if we the audience hadn't seen what is now chapter 3.

So one of the coolest fight scenes ever got postponed for months because of mystery plot reasons. Turned out to be well worth it though.

The full disclosure of what happened was that most of the major events of "Poppy Incites A Gang War" (introducing Charlie+Harley, Fazzi, Poppy meeting Chicadino and the debt being properly wiped away) were originally planned to chronologically happen after the dragon story. As time went on, though, it occurred to me that it made a lot more sense for those things to happen during the period where Poppy's arms were messed up.
Working on the dragon story had also really been stressing me out at the time and I needed a break to do something light-hearted, which a big dumb comedy-heavy story fit just the bill for.
It was certainly my biggest misstep as a creator, but Gang War ended up being my favorite story to work on, so I don't regret it too much.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Several people have said that Poppy is unskilled (including Poppy herself) but she was absolutely clowning on the tournament contestants and intercepted Fantomet's slap no problems. Is she really fast as well as really strong? Or perhaps she her own technique developed purely from experience, which formally trained fighters like Friedrich disdain.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

She is an unskilled worker in that she has no qualifications or profession, but has plenty of street smarts and has got into a few fights in her time.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

Several people have said that Poppy is unskilled (including Poppy herself) but she was absolutely clowning on the tournament contestants and intercepted Fantomet's slap no problems. Is she really fast as well as really strong? Or perhaps she her own technique developed purely from experience, which formally trained fighters like Friedrich disdain.

when you're even like normal human kinds of stronger than the other guy you can kinda bull through things, and I don't think you need to be master of the secret Dragon Palm Technique to have quicker reflexes than the bitchy old aristocrat beating on her daughter

I sort of got the impression she's even worse at using her body efficiently than most people, because she doesn't remotely need to

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 10, 2016

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

The Lone Badger posted:

If even one genuinely competent fighter had fought Poppy at the arena, she likely would have been shut down, but most of those types had been driven away by Boris' bullshit power-set long ago. She's got decent reflexes and tough skin, but her movements are otherwise easy to predict and full of holes that can be taken advantage of, and she tires out very fast. When she can't just end a fight with brute strength, she runs out of options quickly.

Poppy's a very effective fighter compared to amateurs and wild beasts, but when she hits the skill ceiling, she hits it hard.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

when you're even like normal human kinds of stronger than the other guy you can kinda bull through things, and I don't think you need to be master of the secret Dragon Palm Technique to have quicker reflexes than the bitchy old aristocrat beating on her daughter

I sort of got the impression she's even worse at using her body efficiently than most people, because she doesn't remotely need to

Yeah, that became clear when she effortlessly cleared out an alley full of street thugs but Fazzi nearly put her down for good in three moves.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
> can lift around 300,000kg
> weighs 240kg

In other words

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILE12hEW5Ck

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Among those links, I am reminded of how much I love the fact that despite Chicadino being a despicable bastard he manages to be eminently practical all the time and doesn't let his temper make him do really dumb super villain stuff :allears:

I hope he continues to be so lovable/hateable for the forseeable.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Morbi posted:

If even one genuinely competent fighter had fought Poppy at the arena, she likely would have been shut down, but most of those types had been driven away by Boris' bullshit power-set long ago. She's got decent reflexes and tough skin, but her movements are otherwise easy to predict and full of holes that can be taken advantage of, and she tires out very fast. When she can't just end a fight with brute strength, she runs out of options quickly.

Poppy's a very effective fighter compared to amateurs and wild beasts, but when she hits the skill ceiling, she hits it hard.

Basically, Poppy is the steamroller, and everyone she's effortlessly put down so far is the guy in the uniform.

If you try to just stand in her way, or trade shots with her, you will lose. If you know enough to take three steps to the side, you will win. :v:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm still not sure what mcbonald's saying in dr mcninja and saying his line out loud isn't helping at all

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tollymain posted:

i'm still not sure what mcbonald's saying in dr mcninja and saying his line out loud isn't helping at all

Yeah but thought it was a good try.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Either, "Yeah, I thought it was a good try." or "Yeah, but I thought it was a good try."

Basically, he knew he wasn't going to win, but he gave it his best shot anyway.

Edit: You motherfucker. :mad:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

Either, "Yeah, I thought it was a good try." or "Yeah, but I thought it was a good try."

Basically, he knew he wasn't going to win, but he gave it his best shot anyway.

Edit: You motherfucker. :mad:

It was a good try.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Good demon page

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

It's really pretty frikkin' genius. You already know your enemies are planning to kill themselves, use that to your advantage! :v:

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Two more, added because they're connected, posted here because there's nothing ugly in the content.

I have links to the guy he's talking about on the main page. Very interesting person.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

It's really pretty frikkin' genius. You already know your enemies are planning to kill themselves, use that to your advantage! :v:

I thought that using bodyjacking assassins to take over the world's upper management would be a lot more...subtle. But no way people wouldn't notice the sudden news of multiple suicides at the same time during the same day all over the world. Then I remembered what I was reading.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Brought To You By posted:

I thought that using bodyjacking assassins to take over the world's upper management would be a lot more...subtle. But no way people wouldn't notice the sudden news of multiple suicides at the same time during the same day all over the world. Then I remembered what I was reading.

We're lucky they mass suicide by gun and not by cumknife.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Plethora posted:

Two more, added because they're connected, posted here because there's nothing ugly in the content.

I have links to the guy he's talking about on the main page. Very interesting person.

It's kind of surreal to have these link back to real life like that.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

nimby posted:

We're lucky they mass suicide by gun and not by cumknife.

Well, at least two of them were women, so that would have been a lot more difficult for them. :v:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Dan McNinja remains the best in all his appearances.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Everybody please keep in mind that Chris Hastings is writing Vote Loki.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

wiegieman posted:

Everybody please keep in mind that Chris Hastings is writing Vote Loki.

I misread that as "Vore Loki" and got really concerned for a second.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
The last week or two of Dr. McNinja I just kept thinking, "isn't the entire point of mimes that they don't talk?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
McBonald is really, really bad at being a clown.

• Locked thread