Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

toal is really fun to play, has the true final boss and ending, and has a couple unique boss fights

feel free to just youtube hugo though

or just youtube both, you don't need to listen to me, i'm just a guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Started Chapter 2 of SC a day ago. With my current pace, I will finish this game by the time I turn 86. Yeehaw.

The game and characters are still great though. Agate is so much stronger a personality right out of the gate this time, I don't regret choosing him first.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Metroixer posted:

I was surprised by how quickly I turned from Lukewarm to Interested in Rean's character at like 90% through the plot. It sucks to say that you just have to wait for it to get better, because in most contexts that's not an excusable counter-argument, but I guess that's why it's a good thing that there's so many other better characters to bounce off him in the meantime.

I'm going through Ys Origin right now, and I'm pretty sure I'm almost done playing through the game as Yunica. Would I be missing out on anything if I were to just, like, Youtube the stories for the other playable characters? This is my first Ys game, and it's fun, but I would rather move on instead of replaying through the same thing two more times on easy mode.

at least play through it again as the third guy, because he's the most fun character to play as

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Rean is more convincing as a leader than characters in his position usually are so I like him.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Rean is cool and has a cute boyfriend

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

(crow)

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

(Elliot)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i have the backing of the japanese fujoshi block on this...

keep talking and you'll make yourself a powerful enemy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jusis/rean seemed like the most popular ship according to my friend who saw some cold steel doujins for sale

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Good

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

jusis/rean seemed like the most popular ship according to my friend who saw some cold steel doujins for sale

i noticed the same on pixiv/twitter but i reject it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Metroixer posted:

I'm going through Ys Origin right now, and I'm pretty sure I'm almost done playing through the game as Yunica. Would I be missing out on anything if I were to just, like, Youtube the stories for the other playable characters? This is my first Ys game, and it's fun, but I would rather move on instead of replaying through the same thing two more times on easy mode.

Skip Hugo if you like, but definitely you should play Toal. His route ends up being substantially different and has the best fights.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
It's not really about how many boxes you can check so much as how you feel about each box.

Rean's boxes were fine to me, but if you're against any single one of them so strongly that you'd instantly reject a character checking it, well, obviously you're not going to like said character and are probably even going to "box" him in further than you should. To me all of his stuff works because none of it come off too terribly strong or results in him stealing all of the screen-time; every character has their drama and he plays off of it rather than consumes it and neither does his own drama consume the entirety of his character.

Then again, I also don't really see him as "boring everyman protagonist". He has his own goals, personality and sense of humor, so I'm struggling to find the "everyman" part of it all. I don't really see how you could even begin to compare him to P3 or P4s protagonist (pre-manga/anime) because even in the instances where you have some control over how he acts--like say the merchant side-quest in CH1 or all of the bike side-quests--each outcome is uniquely "him" and there are set limits. His goals, opinions and personality and thus his character never really changes and was never in any way designed to change or reflect the player. Is this just "I don't like characters who try to be pleasant/amicable" expressed poorly?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

To make things clear, I don't really hate Rean so much as he appears worse when compared to all the rest of the group who I am actually very interested in learning more about.

Decus posted:

Then again, I also don't really see him as "boring everyman protagonist"

He's the character you're supposed to find most relatable (obviously, because he's the protagonist) and to accomplish this he's given a mild enough personality and values that fall mostly in the middle so that statistically the largest group of players could relate to him. That's what I mean. He isn't extreme in any direction unlike some of the classmates (as the game itself notes he's kinda the centre of the group). This is maybe most apparent in how he's uniquely both a noble and a commoner. He's basically like the dude protagonist from all harem shows who's supposed to be all like "hey look how ridiculously average this guy is, this could be you right here in this weird situation where it seems like every woman around wants you!"

And I think that this is a boring way to build your protagonist. That's my core issue. I would much more enjoy seeing the story from the perspective of someone who actually has an interesting perspective. My favourite moments with Rean are when he actually displays some of that unique perspective, which at this point of the game (beginning of chapter 4) is still very rarely.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I'm not really sold on that view--or rather "boxing in"--of him either. From the beginning such a view pre-supposes that the most "relatable" character is an average one, that Rean is average and that he was specifically engineered to be that way. I'd say all observations are incorrect for Rean and, more often, any character they are leveled against.

The only "middle" I see Rean falling into is how he views the noble/commoner split and it's a view shared by the majority of the cast and is thus probably best excluded from the discussion, as it says more about the game's plot and direction than it does any one cast member. While at the same time he's usually never the most extreme in terms of any one personality trait or interest, I'd say that again says more about the rest of the cast than it does him. For instance, while he's not at Laura's level of devotion to the sword he's still pretty devoted. While he's not at Gelica's level when it comes to motorcycle love, he still really, really enjoys being able to use the motorcycle. If he's uniquely "top" at anything it's probably something like perseverance or competitiveness? He might technically have Gaius beat at amicability too, since while Gaius is shown to be a pleasant guy it's also never really tested whereas Rean stays amicable even when he is, which is probably once per chapter at minimum. If Rean were truly written to be an "average" he'd probably not have that trait at all. Or, tangentially, his corniness.

If you want to, specifically, look at the "weird situations" he's also anything but the most average when he's competing with a whole cast of male characters who react naturally to weird things. Jusis does. Elliot does. Gaius does. Machias does. If you want to talk "relatable" and "engineering characters to be relatable" I'd say that, as with most fictional works, they spread the load here between the entirety of their playable cast. CS isn't a harem anime--it's a high school anime. You will naturally relate to and like some characters over others and I can't really think of one that tried to put all or even most of the load on the main character.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
I also get the impression that Rean's character arc only really just gets started in the last 10% of Cold Steel too, kind of like how Joshua's character doesn't really start moving in earnest until the end of Sky.

Like, he's explicitly being called out regularly for mucking around by anyone with a bit of insight, and he refuses to let himself get engaged with things due to his potentially ominous background story.

It takes... The stuff that happens at the end of Cold Steel to finally break through his shell and get him in a position where he has to grow as a character.

And then the game ends and tells you to stay tuned for Part Two!

Alectai fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 11, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Rean is a super friendly guy who's good at getting along with people. Which is why they make him the leader. Half your party is suspicious of the other half for most of the game, but everyone trusts Rean almost immediately because he's seemingly very open and a good listener and stuff. I suppose you could call that being "average", but from the game's perspective he's uniquely suited for the role he's in.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
One of the things that bugged me about SC's ending:

Why does nobody ask any members of Ouroboros who the Grandmaster is? Joshua and Renne were both former members, and could have fessed up easily. Any of the defeated members in the tower were not exactly in a position to bargain either. Wouldn't it make things much easier for the party in any situation to just target her and get rid of the root of the problem? And wasn't Kevin in a prime position to ask that to Weissmann?

Slur fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 11, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

uh why would they tell him

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lets hang out posted:

uh why would they tell him
i mean you might as well ask

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

As I'm sitting here shuffling through the orbment menu yet again, I'm really glad for how much simpler it is in Cold Steel. In TitS, I would often find myself spending a literal hour in there when it came time to change up the party, just because of how many possible combinations there are and how you have to do a bit of puzzling it out to get your preferred spell combination to actually work. Also it took that long because I'm an indecisive idiot who always spends way too long on these kinds of things but it got especially bad in TitS.

Especially considering how often you get to revamp your entire party in this game, if the old system were still in place I'm pretty sure you could add a nice five hours of playtime in me staring at menus. So I'm real glad this system is much easier to handle.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly, the simplification leads to more real choices, too. Not that the Sky system was bad or anything but by the end of the game you were taking up 3-4 slots of your orbment just to get 'basic' offensive or defense spells for the point in the game you were at.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I wonder how it went--whether simplifying orbments made them comfortable with upping the number of party members, or that expanding the number of playable characters necessitated streamlining individual customization. 3rd's playable cast is pretty big too, but you can assign anybody to a "support" role that confers various stat boosts and penalties, so characters have utility even as benchwarmers.

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 11, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

I wonder how it went--whether simplifying orbments made them comfortable with upping the number of party members, or that expanding the number of playable characters necessitated streamlining individual customization. 3rd's playable cast is pretty big too, but you can assign anybody to a "support" role that confers various stat boosts and penalties, so characters have utility even as benchwarmers.
I think Cold Steel's cast is already bigger than 3rd's if you count the temporary party members. By the time you get to 2nd, it's ridiculously huge.

I feel like, with the structure of the game and the '3 people in reserve' thing, the large party was a design goal from the outset.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I think both systems are cool in their own way. Sky is more of a puzzle where you try and find the combination that gives you the optimum balance between effects and magic - realizing that if you equip that there and such you can get Zodiac on Kloe without sacrificing this effect was always pretty satisfying to me. It's less about making choices and more about solving that puzzle

CS meanwhile just gives you more freedom to tweak your characters in certain ways and create your own builds. Not as much of a puzzle, but more choices.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
http://www.falcom.com/vantage/index_e.html

So I've been playing a hell of a lot of this recently. It's apparently a Falcom strategy RPG which was released back in the late 90s for Windows, and has both online functionality and a partially done Engrish translation. It's a ton of fun and I'd love to play a few games of it with a few of you folks somewhere down the line.

Feels very proto-Advance Wars, really.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I prefer CS's if only because it's the only system that offers some benefit to physical character's orbment setups. ATS-based damage is already generally superior to ATK-based damage, especially on higher difficulties, so letting the physical orbments have something is nice. Even nicer that that something is more debuffs/status effects.

That said, I guess nothing was stopping them from having done that alongside the old puzzle system of spell unlocks. Similarly, I think the old system would've been fine from a "number of characters" standpoint if it only had a "save setup" option. Honestly, even CS's system would have liked that, even with its simplicity.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Slur posted:

One of the things that bugged me about SC's ending:

Why does nobody ask any members of Ouroboros who the Grandmaster is? Joshua and Renne were both former members, and could have fessed up easily. Any of the defeated members in the tower were not exactly in a position to bargain either. Wouldn't it make things much easier for the party in any situation to just target her and get rid of the root of the problem? And wasn't Kevin in a prime position to ask that to Weissmann?

Presumably because they don't know. Joshua/Renne/Leonhardt were only Enforcers, and there's no reason for an Enforcer to have that knowledge when the Anguises exist precisely to carry out the Grandmaster's plans. If anyone does know her identity it's maybe the Anguises, but even that we don't know for sure.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Ojetor posted:

Presumably because they don't know. Joshua/Renne/Leonhardt were only Enforcers, and there's no reason for an Enforcer to have that knowledge when the Anguises exist precisely to carry out the Grandmaster's plans. If anyone does know her identity it's maybe the Anguises, but even that we don't know for sure.

I'm pretty sure that Campanella said that Grandmaster herself sent him to watch Weissman's Gospel Plan, which would indicate the Campanella knows who the Grandmaster is.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

incredibly intimidating or cool people actually being goofs or dorks deep down is my favorite character trait

e: probably doesn't actually apply to that character because Gakuen, but still

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Alright, dumb question time. The blood and iron chancellor, Osborne, he was the one pushing for the invasion of Liberl in SC, which Olivier stopped, right? The one who seemed to be in cahoots with Ouroboros (because he knew the Aureole poo poo was going to go down)? I can't quite remember how that all happened, and also he was just a name in that game anyway.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Amppelix posted:

Alright, dumb question time. The blood and iron chancellor, Osborne, he was the one pushing for the invasion of Liberl in SC, which Olivier stopped, right? The one who seemed to be in cahoots with Ouroboros (because he knew the Aureole poo poo was going to go down)? I can't quite remember how that all happened, and also he was just a name in that game anyway.

That's right

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Amppelix posted:

To make things clear, I don't really hate Rean so much as he appears worse when compared to all the rest of the group who I am actually very interested in learning more about.

He's the character you're supposed to find most relatable (obviously, because he's the protagonist) and to accomplish this he's given a mild enough personality and values that fall mostly in the middle so that statistically the largest group of players could relate to him. That's what I mean. He isn't extreme in any direction unlike some of the classmates (as the game itself notes he's kinda the centre of the group). This is maybe most apparent in how he's uniquely both a noble and a commoner. He's basically like the dude protagonist from all harem shows who's supposed to be all like "hey look how ridiculously average this guy is, this could be you right here in this weird situation where it seems like every woman around wants you!"

And I think that this is a boring way to build your protagonist. That's my core issue. I would much more enjoy seeing the story from the perspective of someone who actually has an interesting perspective. My favourite moments with Rean are when he actually displays some of that unique perspective, which at this point of the game (beginning of chapter 4) is still very rarely.

I disagree, because Rean is extreme as hell. He's just extreme at being the protagonist of a different thing. Fate/stay night
I'd expand on that and give reasons, but I'd want to spoiler-block it too much for my taste (also I don't quite remember which bits were shown by beginning of chap 4).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rean isn't much like the fate/stay night protagonist

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yup. Osborne was the one who arranged the addition of those steam-powered tanks to the army's arsenal and then deployed Zechs and his men in the southern reaches of Erebonia just before the Aureole gets unsealed. He's also briefly mentioned in Chapter 3 of SC where the Erebonian ambassador mentions that Osborne was a supporter of the empire signing the non-aggression pact.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

From what I have seen of the character, I do not know why she is even with Ouroboros. That said, what I have seen are the chinese localized games.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Weissritter posted:

From what I have seen of the character, I do not know why she is even with Ouroboros.

she's forced to work with them until the day she can beat her boss in the 4-player party game of his choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I liked Rean as a main character. He didn't have crippling emotional flaws like a lot of anime dudes do. He came off as boring to me up front thanks to how the game begins but it turns around fast. He's a genuinely good leader and kind of doesn't tolerate bullshit. He's a bit of a blank slate in some regards but I think that's a consequence of game mechanics more than writing.

Rean is good.