Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Dareon posted:

The Tzimisce are basically the only reason I would even consider playing Vampire with the kind of people that want to play Vampire.

Also every time RoboKy said "Krusk" I kept picturing the iconic D&D barbarian hurling acid flasks at Corvo.

Andrei has a fantastic voice. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Broken Box posted:

Supposedly the elixirs you've been drinking all game have river krust goo as an ingredient. The krust has been inside you the entire time.

If the Wrenhaven is as polluted as the Thames or the Ankh, anything that manages to thrive in the river water must have unspeakable vitality in it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Unspeakable Vitality would make a pretty good trait name for a CoC ARPG.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

IMJack posted:

If the Wrenhaven is as polluted as the Thames or the Ankh, anything that manages to thrive in the river water must have unspeakable vitality in it.
Water which has passed through that many kidneys must be clean.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The lighting is pretty great there, yeah. Very stark, sharp shadows.

My favorite part was just you walking up on the assassins with the same voice. "Yes." Though Stealth Tallboy was a pretty close second. Iron gates must be their natural habitat.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
That Tallboy's spot just makes no sense but I'm glad it was there because for the longest time I'd been agonising over how I've not done a great chance of really showing off how ridiculous the Walls of Light can be for killing your enemies (though Dunwall Tower was a good one), and then I get to bag the biggest prey of them all.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Coolguye posted:

Like I mentioned in the Majesty LP, the USA is not a country. It's about 5 or 6 different countries that have traditionally worked together. It's really more comparable to the EU as a whole entity than it is anything else, except that we have a handful of things figured out that the EU is still trying to piece together (like common currency and stuff).

With that in mind, you can effectively frame any comment you see about that sort of stuff in the framework of a French guy living in London or a German guy living in Spain, and it's both more accurate and way, way more funny thanks to the mental image.

Coolguye posted:

This is super cool. I've always kinda liked this stuff, since if you accept the basic principle that the USA is really only one country because it makes life easier that way, the insanity that is the American federal government seems less horrifying because it kind of becomes a microcosm of how a unified planet could theoretically work. Sure, it's crazy, and sure, there's occasional disruptions and surprises, but on the whole, life generally gets more prosperous and less violent as that trade and cooperation opens up. Life is still altogether too violent, of course, but if you look at your overall likelihood to be murdered since the ACW ended it's a pretty sharp decrease with a drat freefall happening in the last 50 years or so.
This is a pretty late reply because I tend to take a lot of time to put ideas into words, but here it goes anyways:

I think you're seriously underestimating just how different the various countries in Europe are from each other. Compared to the gap between say Spain and Finland the difference between even the two most divergent American states is negligible. I'd go as far as saying that USA is more similar to effin' Australia than a good percentage of randomly chosen pairs of European countries are to each other. Take language for one, it's a powerful tool, both unifying and separating one. Even if you go from one end of the US to the other, vast majority of people will still understand you. Meanwhile, on the old continent, to this day, the word for a German in two Slavic countries bordering Germany is an archaic word for "mute". Because (to the Slavs) instead of speaking a proper language they were emitting some guttural noise. And don't even let me get into weird poo poo like Finnish, Hungarian or freaking Euskara. Then you've got history. You've had one Civil War. We've had two World Wars fought mostly on European territory, three total collapses of continental power balance (though I'm not sure the interbellum period can be described as having any "balance" to speak of) and several genocides, ethnic or otherwise, with varying degrees of systematization and with victims numbering in millions. And it's just in the last century. Entire generations of multiple nationalities have built their identities primarily on not being the other nationalities. And it's not necessarily progressing toward unification. Catalonia wants out of Spain, UK is tettering on the brink of leaving UE, who the gently caress knows what Scotland will do if it does happen, and that was BEFORE the refugee crisis demonstrated how fragile and superficial the whole European integration idea is.

All in all, I think your likening USA to EU is very far-fetched and the notion of a unified world seems rather naively utopian to me. Take into considertion, however, that I know very little about the US, so if at any point you get the impression that I'm talking out of my as, It's highly probable that I am. Feel free to correct any glaring fctual mistakes- I'm always eager to learn something new.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Aumanor posted:

All in all, I think your likening USA to EU is very far-fetched and the notion of a unified world seems rather naively utopian to me. Take into considertion, however, that I know very little about the US, so if at any point you get the impression that I'm talking out of my as, It's highly probable that I am. Feel free to correct any glaring fctual mistakes- I'm always eager to learn something new.
Yeah it's similarly difficult to put into words how different the USA is for someone who hasn't crawled over most of it. Your notion here sounds similarly ridiculous to a lot of Americans, but a lot of Americans have also not really left their particular region of the country. But if you want to talk Spain vs Germany, for example, one of the easiest cultural things to pick on in Spain is the siesta, yeah? Well most of the western seaboard has a similarly laid back attitude toward work in the afternoons and will similarly be relatively active around 9 or 10 pm. This annoys the piss out of most of the midwest, because work ethic is one of the things that you just never compromise in that region, ever. We get up early, we work late (but tend to crash after the sun goes down), and we're reachable on weekends. It's an entirely different culture and that's only round one. You want to start talking about value judgments and you'll be here all day. The 'average American' doesn't exist, the same way the 'average European' doesn't exist. In that way the comparison is valid. I'm sure the comparison can be picked apart in a dozen minute ways until the matter is confused and meaningless, but that's missing the forest for the trees in the most classical sense of the idiom.

At any rate, I don't even pretend to think that any sort of world peace is imminent, but if you look at the trends over the last 200 years, we're certainly headed toward that extreme instead of away from it - even in the context of the World Wars. Most of the world was chronically fighting itself throughout the European middle ages and Victorian/Edwardian eras; peace time wasn't much better either, with murder was comparatively rampant and disease a constant companion. That wasn't lost on people either, from what few primary sources remain of merchant journals and such folks were chronically pissed off about pretty much everything. It's rather stark how much better life is now, and how much less stress the average person is under. It's still not enough, of course, but the trend is rather heartening.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 9, 2016

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Aumanor posted:

This is a pretty late reply because I tend to take a lot of time to put ideas into words, but here it goes anyways:

I think you're seriously underestimating just how different the various countries in Europe are from each other. Compared to the gap between say Spain and Finland the difference between even the two most divergent American states is negligible. I'd go as far as saying that USA is more similar to effin' Australia than a good percentage of randomly chosen pairs of European countries are to each other. Take language for one, it's a powerful tool, both unifying and separating one. Even if you go from one end of the US to the other, vast majority of people will still understand you. Meanwhile, on the old continent, to this day, the word for a German in two Slavic countries bordering Germany is an archaic word for "mute". Because (to the Slavs) instead of speaking a proper language they were emitting some guttural noise. And don't even let me get into weird poo poo like Finnish, Hungarian or freaking Euskara. Then you've got history. You've had one Civil War. We've had two World Wars fought mostly on European territory, three total collapses of continental power balance (though I'm not sure the interbellum period can be described as having any "balance" to speak of) and several genocides, ethnic or otherwise, with varying degrees of systematization and with victims numbering in millions. And it's just in the last century. Entire generations of multiple nationalities have built their identities primarily on not being the other nationalities. And it's not necessarily progressing toward unification. Catalonia wants out of Spain, UK is tettering on the brink of leaving UE, who the gently caress knows what Scotland will do if it does happen, and that was BEFORE the refugee crisis demonstrated how fragile and superficial the whole European integration idea is.

I'm American, and most of the Europeans I know can't stand/look down on other countries. My English friends are of the unified opinion that Belgians are morons, as is the French dude I know. A college friend had a Swedish roommate who got super pissed at me for calling him Finnish (like three times, I ddin't know him well). To quote the guy, the Finns are a bunch of backward, inbred reindeer fuckers. This is an admittedly small sample, but I do find it funny how little countries from the EU and outside it have in common with each other.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Americans hate people even within their own states. Southern California (the best one) hates Northern California and vice versa, both of them hate LA and San Fran etc. I can also confirm the laid back west coast work ethic. poo poo, there are stores here that don't even open until 10 or 11 am.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yo gently caress Houston.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm aware of a variant on the "Coals to Newcastle" joke where you take a poo poo before entering <given American state>. I've heard it from Coloradoans towards Texas and vice versa.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIlJ8ZCs4jY

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Coolguye posted:

Yeah it's similarly difficult to put into words how different the USA is for someone who hasn't crawled over most of it. Your notion here sounds similarly ridiculous to a lot of Americans, but a lot of Americans have also not really left their particular region of the country. But if you want to talk Spain vs Germany, for example, one of the easiest cultural things to pick on in Spain is the siesta, yeah? Well most of the western seaboard has a similarly laid back attitude toward work in the afternoons and will similarly be relatively active around 9 or 10 pm. This annoys the piss out of most of the midwest, because work ethic is one of the things that you just never compromise in that region, ever. We get up early, we work late (but tend to crash after the sun goes down), and we're reachable on weekends. It's an entirely different culture and that's only round one. You want to start talking about value judgments and you'll be here all day. The 'average American' doesn't exist, the same way the 'average European' doesn't exist. In that way the comparison is valid. I'm sure the comparison can be picked apart in a dozen minute ways until the matter is confused and meaningless, but that's missing the forest for the trees in the most classical sense of the idiom.

I'm not arguing that USA can be considered a single unified country. What I am arguing is that Europe is at least as far from the USA as it is from a normal country, if such a thing even exist. If the differences you mentionned can arise between states that have (for the most part) worked with each other under the same federal government since XVIII-XIX century, try to imagine the sheer magnitude of the rifts between countries that have spent the better part of the last millenium devising increasingly ingenious ways of loving each other over

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The conflicts in Europe have gone on for so long that the chips on our shoulders have themselves developed chips on their shoulders.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D82YtmIqTNg

I don't know, the lyrics to this song don't sound that negative.

A voice says
Why Adelaide
You could live anywhere and I say
Because I want to
Because I want to
I really really want to

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
He didn't stay and left not too long after that.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

sleepy.eyes posted:

Belgians are morons

your friend isn't wrong

What is a Belgian anyway? Belgium isn't even a country

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

DOOP posted:

your friend isn't wrong

I feel like you just got superkicked by Jean Claude Van Damme

Orv
May 4, 2011

DOOP posted:

your friend isn't wrong

They got waffles right, I'll give them a pass.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Belgium; that's where thatFrench detective pretends to be from, right? Like anyone would believe he was from Narnia or wherever it is.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If y'all think Euros hate each other you should take a trip to Asia...

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Eifert Posting posted:

You got Chinese who are mad about Chinese-language-only signs in tourist destinations that tell them to use trash cans and restrooms, and you got Chinese who are mad at the previous group and tell local staff that those are Koreans.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

I grew up in New Mexico and have angrily informed friends that "it's pronounced Rio Granday. Texans call it the Rio Grand."

Hate for neighbors about the stupidest things is universal.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I will forever hate the word hella with every fiber of my being.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 10, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Bruceski posted:

Hate for neighbors about the stupidest things is universal.

Well I mean I wouldn't call tension between Japan and China stupid or unreasonable, but in general, yeah. Here Victorians and South Australians (how does loving Adelaide of all places come up multiple times?) are constantly at each other's throats.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Every country has an Adelaide. The city/town in the middle of nowhere that seems to be the center of the universe/country for some weird reason.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah, I feel like the differences in America (as a European, mind) are generally fairly minor and a lot of the time, it seems like you're mostly against people from the next state for silly reasons, like how they pronounce the names of rivers or your sleep/work schedule, but here there's a huge amount of very real divides that kind of separate people. There's still plenty of people alive who remember all the nasty poo poo going on after the breakup of the USSR and then Yugoslavia, and even some harboured resentment from WWII. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anywhere is tanking your currency for the rest of the collective as badly as Greece has affected the Eurozone. That's not to mention the ways in which the Eurozone/Schengen Area/EU itself don't quite match up, as well as Switzerland and the Kaliningrad Oblast being stuck in the middle of the surrounding areas but not participating.

Maybe I'm just not well enough educated about the USA, but I don't think the states have quite the same political, economic and historical divides as Europe or even just the EU does. It's definitely got a whole lot of inner turmoil and cultural differences, but I can travel 100 miles and not actually be able to speak to anybody, then travel a few hundred more miles and find people who's banks straight up have no money, then travel a few hundred more miles and find people who hate the people 100 miles over because they still remember living through actual atrocities, and may well be living in borderline dictatorships. If the divides in America are what flavour of capitalism you want, how you structure your day and how you pronounce things, then yeah the US is a fuckload better connected than Europe is.

And just to pretend this is a thread about a video game, this is the level that broke my clean hands ghost run.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

To be fair it wasn't Greece's fault as much as the euro, the EU and especially banks loving them over. Just having their own currency would've let them deal with the crisis so much better.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I honestly don't know enough about it to tell you whether it's their fault, but their situation is damaging the region's economy and people are understandably upset that they're pulling everyone else in on the way down. When German tax euros are bailing out a failing Greek economy, people are gonna get pissed regardless of who's actually to blame.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Of yes definitely. The money went to bail out the banks who sat on a ton of Greek debt (which they bought because it made them a LOT of money), not to Greece itself. I strongly recommend watching Mark Blyth talk about it, he's mostly focused on austerity and why it's terrible but it involves a lot about what happened to Greece. It's really quite complicated.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
Well we DO still have people in the south that believe they won the civil war..... somehow. Honestly I'd imagine that's one of the bigger divides in the country between the sides of the civil war. Because if you get deep enough south you start running into people that alter their history and science books to be 'correct' and shoot anybody that says otherwise. I remember Top Gear came through the south and played a prank on each other to drive through the south with what the other people put on their cars. Later that day they cleaned it all off because at the first gas station someone came out with a shot gun and a gang of big guys and they had to hightail it out. The most inflamatory things either car had on them was 'nascar sucks' and something that stated the driver was gay.

But yeah there are some fairly big divides dependent on where you are going and where you are coming from in the states, probably not as wide as a similar drive across Europe but we've been at the whole 'united states' thing for longer. And our language is made out of the pilfered grammar of other languages. (To the point that our english and UK's english are fairly different, we might have the same words but they don't necessarily mean the same thing.)

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Poil posted:

Of yes definitely. The money went to bail out the banks who sat on a ton of Greek debt (which they bought because it made them a LOT of money), not to Greece itself. I strongly recommend watching Mark Blyth talk about it, he's mostly focused on austerity and why it's terrible but it involves a lot about what happened to Greece. It's really quite complicated.

I'm probably going to get yelled at for this but Harald Schumann interviewed a lot of people who had a stake in the austerity crisis. It's after the fact but I found it helpful in wrapping my head around the whole disaster. The first four are insightful in the same way the Big Short was, insofar that the people with a clue were in no position to prevent it (and the foreign banks got out scot-free).

What I took away is that a powerpoint might have been responsible for the belief in austerity measures infiltrating the groupthink among the eurozone ministers and officials.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Every country has an Adelaide. The city/town in the middle of nowhere that seems to be the center of the universe/country for some weird reason.

I have friends from every Australian capital city and we all agree there's a lot to talk about regarding how they all suck but no one wants to go live in Auckland because it's too drat cold.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't think anyone's going to sneak up behind you and parry feverishly for that. :v:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

MooCowlian posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anywhere is tanking your currency for the rest of the collective as badly as Greece has affected the Eurozone.
This issue exists in the States. Red states are disproportionately represented in our system because of our electoral voting. Taken as an aggregate they are a major drain on the US economy.

If you average out the states that vote Red in general elections (I used the '08 election because it's the one I followed most closely) by dependency on federal support with the most recent numbers you would get a collective ranked 16th in dependency. That would mean that 34 States take a lower percentage of their funding from the government. Only one state that voted Blue is in the top ten of dependency and only two are in the top 15. Of the 22 Red states, 5 were in the bottom half of dependency.

No American State is as bad as Greece (well, maybe Mississippi), but the level of representation they have is extremely obnoxious to people who bother to look at the numbers. It's not uncommon for people in Blue States to say Lincoln should have let the South Secede and collapse on their own. There is a deep animosity that runs both ways.

Orv
May 4, 2011
America is legitimately insane to me at times. It is a country where half of our ruling body is strongly pressured, if they want to keep their job, to deny that climate change is a thing. I could go on like that for a while, this place is terrifying.

E: For clarity, I realize that pretty much all politicians everywhere are some flavor of insane racist, or what have you. That's just what stuck out to me from American politics last week, it'll be replaced by something equally stupid this week.

Orv fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 10, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Chaeden posted:

Well we DO still have people in the south that believe they won the civil war..... somehow. Honestly I'd imagine that's one of the bigger divides in the country between the sides of the civil war. Because if you get deep enough south you start running into people that alter their history and science books to be 'correct' and shoot anybody that says otherwise.
Sounds like Russia on a good day.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Dishonored: A very mild case of the D&D

As an American, I blame it on our poo poo educational system pumping out rubes by the thousands. Then again, that's just what my HS teachers told me, that it was lobbying interests vying for higher pass rates -- on progressively easier standardized tests. Nothing like bureaucracy.

e: I went to schools where it was part of our curriculum that the civil war was an economic matter in which owning slaves was tangentially related. Not even because that's what the people in my state wanted it to say, though they would have... but because textbooks aren't written to be informative or factual. So long as you can wave money at the people in charge of education at the state level, or those whom you can use as political leverage against the same, you too can revise history. The power of the infallible free market makes its own truth.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 10, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

My 12th grade history class went through American history from a geographic perspective, then went back and did it all from an economic one, then population, political, and so on. It was great for seeing how events could have multiple "causes" all pulling in different directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Basically what we've learned here is that Roboky is the one in the right place.

• Locked thread