Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Enjoying the game so far. Very similar to Pillar's of Eternity.

Question though:

My character died and now I've got all these enchantments like Invulnerability etc..

Is this normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Enjoying the game so far. Very similar to Pillar's of Eternity.

Question though:

My character died and now I've got all these enchantments like Invulnerability etc..

Is this normal?

Reloading during a battle, dying and other things apparently auto-activate Story Mode.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

I got very insulted when that happened to me after a kamikaze fireball gone wrong incident. Far more offensive than any of these "controversial" lines!
Have rolled up a kensai for a second run through now - challenging myself not to rely on good old BG1 kiting and magic missiles.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
It's a bug, guys. It's not meant to happen.

quote:

No, there is no Adaptive Difficulty system in Siege of Dragonspear.

The behavior that people are describing is caused by a bug which can lower the difficulty setting under certain circumstances, mostly related to loading an old, pre-SoD savegame. This bug is being investigated by our programming team and will be fixed.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50502/adaptive-difficulty

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh , how do I turn it off ?

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Options menu.

Again, its a bug.

Sorry I keep harping on this but I keep seeing people in here saying that its some sort of adaptative difficulty type thing.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 10, 2016

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Oh , how do I turn it off ?

Just go into the options menu, I think the gameplay tab has it.

Glad to hear they're fixing it.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, isn't [Viconia's] leave tolerance for good parties massive?

jng2058 posted:

Eh, only if you don't max out your Rep. Get to max Rep and [Jaheira]'s pretty happy.

Unless they changed it in the EE, Viconia leaves at 19+ reputation, same as any evil character (unless you get her to go neutral, of course). Jaheira is neutral without mods, so she delivers her "happy" lines from something like 6-18 rep and actually starts complaining a bit when you go above that.
:goonsay:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It only seems to happen if you set the difficulty to Easy. I'm currently on Core Rules and I haven't seen any sign of it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Jesus, is there a beginner guide somewhere on quests to avoid like the loving plague. "Please go kill some spiders in my house" :stare:

I only have 4 members in my party right now. I've succeeded in a few quests so far. Not very far into the game but I just walked into a Inn and some guy killed the whole party WELP

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Jesus, is there a beginner guide somewhere on quests to avoid like the loving plague. "Please go kill some spiders in my house" :stare:

I only have 4 members in my party right now. I've succeeded in a few quests so far. Not very far into the game but I just walked into a Inn and some guy killed the whole party WELP

While I usually did that as well, it helps a lot if you explore a bit off the beaten path. Go into the forests a bit and try to see what sort of crazy people you come across that will definitely kill you or you get strong enough to survive. I could also just recommend you beeline for the Jovial Joker at the south of Beregost and then continue south, but do not do any of the missions in Nashkel before you have leveled up. Also every inn will have people who want to kill you when you visit them and sometimes when you revisit them.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Hollismason posted:

I'm going to assume the 3 NPCs you have are Imoen Jaheira and Khalid. What class is your PC?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I'm going to assume the 3 NPCs you have are Imoen Jaheira and Khalid. What class is your PC?

Female Fighter/Thief Dwarf because it seemed fun. Yeah those are my party members.

Is there anyway to make this game a windowed game?

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
The fullscreen toggle is under graphics.

Also protip, try to get ur grubby dwarfy hands on a wand of sleep asap. There's one sold by the dude west of beregost (you have to go into his house and talk to him twice to get him to sell you stuff its kind of dumb) for like 1.5k iirc? I think you can sleep any non-boss creature in the game until like Chapter 3. It's an aoe, no friendly fire so fire that thing off into melee willy nilly, and get this, monsters dont way up when they take damage. It's a good panic button/crutch that will last you through the entire early game. Those spiders? Make them take a spidery nap, then end them. etc.

VV In one of the EE patches, they stopped neutrals from complaining about high rep. They still complain at low rep and i don't think they will say their happy bark at high rep though.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 10, 2016

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Atahualpa posted:

Unless they changed it in the EE, Viconia leaves at 19+ reputation, same as any evil character (unless you get her to go neutral, of course). Jaheira is neutral without mods, so she delivers her "happy" lines from something like 6-18 rep and actually starts complaining a bit when you go above that.
:goonsay:

They do seem to have changed it for EE, or maybe SoD. I've been at 20 rep for ages now, and none of Jaheira, Neera, Faldorn, or Safana have given me any complaints at all. Viconia did join up and then immediately tell me to gently caress off, though. So they only seem to have messed with neutrals, not evils.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Female Fighter/Thief Dwarf because it seemed fun. Yeah those are my party members.

Is there anyway to make this game a windowed game?

Assuming you're playing EE then Alt+Enter toggles Fullscreen on and off.

With only that team for the Spider House I'd get some potions and antidotes, ensure that your PC, Imoen, and Jahiera all have ranged weapons. Get Khalid to run in and get the spiders' attention, then immediately run back out. Use the tight space between the door and the fence as a choke point to limit the number of enemies attacking at once, and just let them have it with ranged fire. With just a little luck you should be able to beat them without to much issue. If Khalid gets hit have him chug a potion and an antidote if necessary.

I forget if spiders are susceptible to Entangle, if they are you can use that as well to try and keep enemies rooted in place.

insanityv2 posted:

Also protip, try to get ur grubby dwarfy hands on a wand of sleep asap.

Wait that can be used by anyone? That's pretty great. I thought only the Wand of Magic Missiles was usuable by non-Mages.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Thanks now I just have to figure out why even though it's set for non permanent death everyone stays permanently dead. I'm in Chapter 2 right now, and now have Minsc and I guess I'll let this guy Rassad join.

It's a fun game, although I can't figure out why backstab doesn't seem to work on flank.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Permanent death is when they get chunked and their portrait disappears. Regular death is running out of hit points and dropping all the gear. The npc portrait will turn grey and you can take them to a temple to be resurrected (or cast raise dead yourself if you have a high enough level cleric or a scroll).

e. You have to be invisible AND flank AND be using a thief weapon to backstab.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
FOLLOWING ONLY APPLIES TO ICEWIND DALE IGNORE ME I AM DUMB

1) With non permanent death off (aka the default), when someone dies you can usually ressurrect them at a temple. However, if someone is dropped to -10 hp or less (for example if they are at 2 health and someone hits them for 12) they will explode into meat chunks. When this happens you cannot rez them they are gone from the game permenently.

When you turn non-permanent death on, you prevent them from becoming meat chunks. Their deaths are non-permanent in that they are reversible.

2) do you have 3E style sneak attack on? AFAIK, having sneak attack on disables backstabs.

To clarify:

sneak attackk - you do extra damage (+Xd6 depending on theif level) when meleeing someone who is attacking someone else.
There is no need to be invisible. Pretty good for beginners.

backstab - when you are invisible and behind someone, you get a multiplier (x2-x5 depending on theif lvl) to your first hit. It rarely comes into play once combat as begun (unless you are getting a mage to cast Invis on you or popping invis potions). Its typically for sneaking into a room and one shotting the mage before the fight begins.

Let's you trivialize some tough encounters with some planning and careful play which can be satisfying in and of itself but requires some foreknowlege to fully capitalize on.

If the toggle for sneak attack is on, backstabs are not possible. So it's one or the other depending on how you wanna use ur theives.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 10, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh I see. Thanks. Guess that makes sense? That's disappointing regarding thieves.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

I thought 3E sneak attack was only in Icewind Dale? Or did that get stealth patched in on BGEE 2.0 and I haven't noticed?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Archery is automatically very powerful even when you have characters non-proficient in it, just an FYI.

If you didn't already know, you'll eventually encounter some enemy AI that definitely knows how crazy good it is and will kick you in the head over it. HAHAHA.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Oh poo poo I must be going crazy I could have sworn....

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

insanityv2 posted:

FOLLOWING ONLY APPLIES TO ICEWIND DALE IGNORE ME I AM DUMB

1) With non permanent death off (aka the default), when someone dies you can usually ressurrect them at a temple. However, if someone is dropped to -10 hp or less (for example if they are at 2 health and someone hits them for 12) they will explode into meat chunks. When this happens you cannot rez them they are gone from the game permenently.

When you turn non-permanent death on, you prevent them from becoming meat chunks. Their deaths are non-permanent in that they are reversible.

2) do you have 3E style sneak attack on? AFAIK, having sneak attack on disables backstabs.

To clarify:

sneak attackk - you do extra damage (+Xd6 depending on theif level) when meleeing someone who is attacking someone else.
There is no need to be invisible. Pretty good for beginners.

backstab - when you are invisible and behind someone, you get a multiplier (x2-x5 depending on theif lvl) to your first hit. It rarely comes into play once combat as begun (unless you are getting a mage to cast Invis on you or popping invis potions). Its typically for sneaking into a room and one shotting the mage before the fight begins.

Let's you trivialize some tough encounters with some planning and careful play which can be satisfying in and of itself but requires some foreknowlege to fully capitalize on.

If the toggle for sneak attack is on, backstabs are not possible. So it's one or the other depending on how you wanna use ur theives.

Where do I find the toggle for sneak attack?

I just have the base Baldur's Gate EE

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Sorry that was my mistake there isn't one.

backstab toggle is on a different game on the same engine called Icewind Dale. When they updated to 2.0 they backported a few Icewind Dale features but the toggle was not one of them hence my confusion.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

A paladin randomly tried to murder me in a bar because Edwin was in my party and thus it was "tainted by evil". I must come to the conclusion that paladins are criminally insane.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Woolie Wool posted:

A paladin randomly tried to murder me in a bar because Edwin was in my party and thus it was "tainted by evil". I must come to the conclusion that paladins are criminally insane.

A correct conclusion.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
In the lingo it's called being lawful stupid.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And Eberron outright calls that behavior the ethos of a serial killer who will lose their paladin status if they haven't already.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

A correct conclusion.

Especially since Edwin is like the least evil evil guy ever. Ooooh, he's going to make patronizing remarks at us, scary scary evil fiend!

Meanwhile, I did the poisoning sidequest, got the Tome of Wisdom for the priestess of Umberlee, murdered her, took the scroll from her body, and used the Tome of Wisdom on myself. Now that's evil and there were absolutely zero consequences for this. The Flaming Fist didn't care, my reputation didn't go down, my paladin status was intact.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
My favorite part of that is if you kill him IN SELF DEFENSE you take a rep hit.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

Especially since Edwin is like the least evil evil guy ever. Ooooh, he's going to make patronizing remarks at us, scary scary evil fiend!

Meanwhile, I did the poisoning sidequest, got the Tome of Wisdom for the priestess of Umberlee, murdered her, took the scroll from her body, and used the Tome of Wisdom on myself. Now that's evil and there were absolutely zero consequences for this. The Flaming Fist didn't care, my reputation didn't go down, my paladin status was intact.

No no she serves an evil institution and is probably evil so therefore,

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I had my ferret pickpocket the tome of wisdom in my last run, then you have to persuade him to give it back to you.

Reputation is one of the few things that D&D never really had. Otherwise a lot of 'lawful stupid' and 'chaotic stupid' gameplay would have been penalized over the years. My rep in SoD is up to 18 and I've got Dorn and Vic still in the party. I'm looking for a random peasant to murder to keep them happy.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Guys I'm starting to think D&D's definitions of good and evil are inflexible and unrealistic.

Anyway I finished the expansion! More than a few bugs and quest holes, but I've been conditioned by years of playing and modding Paradox games to forgive those things and fix them myself.

The parley is a really obviously cut route. You're allowed to sympathize and outright aid the Crusade at several points, it's totally reasonable for a character to leave with them. At least make it a non-standard game over.

I echo all the complaints about that book and not being able to talk about Hephernaan's obvious evil. It's really obvious by the climax that Caelar needs my blood to open the portal to Baator, so me going in there seems like a bad, bad idea. Even without knowing that, there's no other way out of that room, so why are we bothering to assault them? Seal the doors (They open outward, right?) and wait for them run out of air! I guess they're afraid she'll teleport out, but the crusade's broken and almost all her commanders are dead.

Baator was fun, the Planes are always my favorite part of D&D, though its pretty convenient that the portal led right to the foot of the tower that held Caelar's uncle. BTW were those devils Planescape assets? How long have they had the rights to those?

Caelar was left alone to guard demon-summoning tomes at the age of ten? Bloodline or no, her order are idiots.

The thing with Skie was really loving cliche. Nice job rendering her character arc totally irrelevant. I've hated "Framed and nobody believes you" plots since I was a kid, probably some suppressed trauma, but here it seems really, really forced. You just lead the charge against the latest threat to the Sword Coast and stopped a third Baatezu invasion of Faerun, and you're being thrown under the bus for a really out-of-character murder that is a very possible frame job? Sweep it under the rug so the war doesn't lose its hero, that's what happens in real life! Besides, I'm a loving paladin, I haven't lost my abilities, I am very obviously innocent. A good PC should've gotten a more VIP treatment, i.e. "We know you didn't do it, but Silvershield and the mob won't listen, you have to go". They sort of did that, but only after putting you on trial in front of a mob. What happens if you tell Duke Silvershield that Skie is joining the Fist, BTW?

Also: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Zone_of_truth

Why would they make that note about the dagger if there's nothing that follows up on it? Are they planning some DLC for BGII? Also if it was the dagger that killed Skie, and it disappeared, why did anyone think I killed her if my weapon didn't actually have any blood on it? Was there bloodspray? It's like someone pointed out that they could just resurrect her, and they retconned it really sloppily. Anyone else think the way Irenicus talked about Skie makes it sound like she was Bhaalspawn in an earlier draft?

I do appreciate that the game remembered that I ctrl-Y'd Dynaheir back in Chapter 7. Wonder what happens if you do the same to the others?

Kavak fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 11, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Kavak posted:

Guys I'm starting to think D&D's definitions of good and evil are inflexible and unrealistic.

Anyway I finished the expansion! More than a few bugs and quest holes, but I've been conditioned by years of playing and modding Paradox games to forgive those things and fix them myself.

The parley is a really obviously cut route. You're allowed to sympathize and outright aid the Crusade at several points, it's totally reasonable for a character to leave with them. At least make it a non-standard game over.

I echo all the complaints about that book and not being able to talk about Hephernaan's obvious evil. It's really obvious by the climax that Caelar needs my blood to open the portal to Baator, so me going in there seems like a bad, bad idea. Even without knowing that, there's no other way out of that room, so why are we bothering to assault them? Seal the doors (They open outward, right?) and wait for them run out of air! I guess they're afraid she'll teleport out, but the crusade's broken and almost all her commanders are dead.

Baator was fun, the Planes are always my favorite part of D&D, though its pretty convenient that the portal led right to the foot of the tower that held Caelar's uncle. BTW were those devils Planescape assets? How long have they had the rights to those?

Caelar was left alone to guard demon-summoning tomes at the age of ten? Bloodline or no, her order are idiots.

The thing with Skie was really loving cliche. Nice job rendering her character arc totally irrelevant. I've hated "Framed and nobody believes you" plots since I was a kid, probably some suppressed trauma, but here it seems really, really forced. You just lead the charge against the latest threat to the Sword Coast and stopped a third Baatezu invasion of Faerun, and you're being thrown under the bus for a really out-of-character murder that is a very possible frame job? Sweep it under the rug so the war doesn't lose its hero, that's what happens in real life! Besides, I'm a loving paladin, I haven't lost my abilities, I am very obviously innocent. A good PC should've gotten a more VIP treatment, i.e. "We know you didn't do it, but Silvershield and the mob won't listen, you have to go". They sort of did that, but only after putting you on trial in front of a mob. What happens if you tell Duke Silvershield that Skie is joining the Fist, BTW?

Also: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Zone_of_truth

Why would they make that note about the dagger if there's nothing that follows up on it? Are they planning some DLC for BGII? Also if it was the dagger that killed Skie, and it disappeared, why did anyone think I killed her if my weapon didn't actually have any blood on it? Was there bloodspray? It's like someone pointed out that they could just resurrect her, and they retconned it really sloppily. Anyone else think the way Irenicus talked about Skie makes it sound like she was Bhaalspawn in an earlier draft?

I do appreciate that the game remembered that I ctrl-Y'd Dynaheir back in Chapter 7. Wonder what happens if you do the same to the others?

To be fair though, that kind of issue of people in BG 'forgetting' what they can do or what they have access to happens a lot.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

To be fair though, that kind of issue of people in BG 'forgetting' what they can do or what they have access to happens a lot.

Yeah, it's sadly par for the course when it comes to BG railroading.
"You murdered the poor innocent Iron Throne leaders! 'I have piles of correspondence as evidence'? Sorry, I am suddenly illiterate."
"No CHARNAME, Spellhold's warden sounds nothing like the man who captured us, now lets follow him and not decapitate him the moment his back is turned."
"No CHARNAME, Melissan is not suspicious at all and you have no reason to kill her even if you're a power hungry dickhole!"
There are more and better examples but I'm tired.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Kavak posted:

Yeah, it's sadly par for the course when it comes to BG railroading.
"You murdered the poor innocent Iron Throne leaders! 'I have piles of correspondence as evidence'? Sorry, I am suddenly illiterate."
"No CHARNAME, Spellhold's warden sounds nothing like the man who captured us, now lets follow him and not decapitate him the moment his back is turned."
"No CHARNAME, Melissan is not suspicious at all and you have no reason to kill her even if you're a power hungry dickhole!"
There are more and better examples but I'm tired.

I'm probably remembering but isn't the evidence just a bunch of letters saying that 'The Iron Throne is up to no good' and probably wouldn't constitute evidence that allows you to murder them while they were in the middle of discussions in Candlekeep?

That and Ulraunt or whatever his name is hates you and probably wouldn't care.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

I'm probably remembering but isn't the evidence just a bunch of letters saying that 'The Iron Throne is up to no good' and probably wouldn't constitute evidence that allows you to murder them while they were in the middle of discussions in Candlekeep?

I think they were more specific than that but Ulruant let the party keep its stuff so whatever.

EDIT: Also if you don't do it Sarevok frames you and its easy to prove he's out for you, and his alias is literally his name backwards.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 11, 2016

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I will brook no accusations against my true and noble friend Koveras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Koveras is strong and good and he is my friend.

Kavak posted:

I think they were more specific than that but Ulruant let the party keep its stuff so whatever.

EDIT: Also if you don't do it Sarevok frames you and its easy to prove he's out for you, and his alias is literally his name backwards.

His plan was to murder them and leave a ring there that implicates you, right?

What would he have done if you never came to Candlekeep?