Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. Those mandatory hexagons make things look pretty tricky.

You remember how to do the starbursts on the color room and I'm confident you can puzzle that out given time and maybe some construction paper.

But there are still a couple of times in that first swamp video you still need to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANameAmongMany
Mar 21, 2015

IronSaber posted:

Let me rephrase my previous hint.

Find a cluster of large rocks right near the river bridge to the monastery.

Stand in them. STAY STATIONARY.

Look around.

Yes, listen to the hint. It will help you two so much. I also suggest going up the mountain. It would be nice for you two to see where the end goal is.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Here's to hoping you go back and complete the starburst area with all the crazy aerial bridges soon. Following along, those were my favorite puzzles to solve with you guys, and I'm still bummed that you ran away from them after assuming self contradictory rules were in effect.

EllipsisBreak
Mar 1, 2015
I'm constantly amazed at how many times you've forgotten how the white/black/whatever rounded squares work. What you should know: Rounded squares of the same color do not need to be grouped together.

Half the time you do seem to understand this, yet every once in a while we get timestamp 2:30 of part 17 or something similar. Maybe you're just putting the game down too long between sessions?

Arctos
May 10, 2008
Ahem...

Arctos posted:

In addition to the quarry and the town you still have at least two areas you haven't finished yet: The dreaded reflection puzzles in the desert and the temple in between the town and the jungle area.

Edit: Oh, and the treehouses!

That's at least 5 more lasers you haven't activated yet.

Also, I'll just say there's no need to worry about ending the game prematurely by accident or anything like that.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Glazius posted:

Wow. Those mandatory hexagons make things look pretty tricky.

You remember how to do the starbursts on the color room and I'm confident you can puzzle that out given time and maybe some construction paper.

But there are still a couple of times in that first swamp video you still need to look at.
Yeah, they're tough puzzles. Cool extension of an old mechanic though, and they get easier to wrap your head around once you get used to them and have a thorough grounding of what you can and can't do. It's useful to master the mechanic too, since it pops up again in a few odd places.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
Hey, everyone, it's time for part 18! Boy, I hope everyone here LOVE in-game dialog!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
WHAT... is the deal with... the lady that.... STOPS and randomly stresses... her words like THIS? :argh:

You had the answer to the white/black starbursts but you didn't finish it :argh::argh:

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Slaan posted:

You had the answer to the white/black starbursts but you didn't finish it :argh::argh:

Yeah, to be fair, we figured we still had the mechanics down, we just didn't see the solution then. :-\

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I don't know quite how I feel about lady in the video there.

It's like... on the one hand I don't disagree particularly strongly with what she's saying. She makes a valid observation and shows an awareness of what it might actually mean for a person to believe the things she is saying. She points out that an observation is all it is, small enough to be applicable to more or less any context but also small enough that you have to remember it's not going to turn your life around on a dime. It's not an unreasonable concept; a person can get too bogged down in being goal oriented, so fixated on what they're want that they lose all perspective on where they are. It's good poo poo. More people should remember it.

But jesus christ watching the video just makes me slowly start seething with rage. Everything about her manner sets off alarm bells. Like you guys observed in the video, she talks so slowly, all at once like she's trying to explain something to a child, like she's deeply considering every word she says, like she's remembering from a script, like she's struggling to improvise, all of that at the same time. She puts on this air of affected profundity and in a few minutes I don't care how sincere she is or isn't, to me she's just another self-styled "guru" peddling enlightenment to people who don't know any better.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

So I'm gathering that this developer guy doesn't believe in "short and sweet."

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I didn't mind the video with the lady too much, nor that she was talking slowly (but I did watch this on the start of a gameplay session with renewed levels of patience). The only problem with it, is that she essentially says two basic things in the whole duration of that segment, which she then repeats again and again.

And, if I am being honest, I was really ticked off by that audio log on top of the mountain, because that "quote" goes on for 10 or so minutes with essentially very small (proportionally) message contained within it. And that one, unfortunately, (as all audio logs and in contrast to the video segments) does not fade away if you ran away from it.

If I had to deal with both of the above, in almost direct sequence, I don't know if I would have the patience to do it.

Which reminds me. There's a video segment that I skipped because it seemed way too long and boring to deal with, while also being sleepless at the time. So, I should return to that, at some point.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

So I'm gathering that this developer guy doesn't believe in "short and sweet."

JoBlow has a lot of chips on his shoulder about stuff in videogames. I am reasonably certain one of them is Audiolog Etiquette.

When you step back and take a look at it with an even nominally critical eye, Videogame Audiologs are kinda sorta fundamentally loving ridiculous in both content and context. They're often entirely flavour to the point of being extraneous, jarringly concise in delivery, make no sense as something that a person would record (and then leave lying around), and basically extraneous to the greater work since nothing they can accomplish can't be done better by some other thing. They're just... a thing that everyone assumes we have to have in videogames now.

It's gonna be a while (if ever) before we get to talking about the context for anything in The Witness. But the content should be fairly apparent by now; these aren't audiologs, these are readings. Readings of writings for the most part, true, but still, already we know what these things are, it makes sense to us that the original authors would commit these to print, and (with a little leap of imagination), what the speaker might be trying to accomplish. But beyond that; these aren't the cliffnotes versions, these are the original quotes, and they're as varied and diverse as the authors who wrote them. There are short ones and long ones (some infamously so) but the point is, we'd be losing a lot by abridging them and if I may be so blunt, most of the negative responses to them seem to be based more out of impatience than anything else, and that impatience is born of nothing except an expectation of what "audiologs" in a videogame are supposed to be like.

They're just these little supplementary exercises alongside their thematically-related videogame contexts. You might call them... a series of lectures.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man, if you guys freaked out about this video, I look forward to the candle.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BTW, as far as "endgame" stuff, there are 11 lasers total, you only need 7 to open up the mountain but I'd do all of them first. The mountain has more puzzles like the village which combine stuff so an understanding of the mechanics will help.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
As far as the log on top of the mountain goes, I think that one makes sense because you've got the whole trek down the mountain to listen to it. Or inside the mountain. Either way.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Honestly I like some of the longer logs & most of the lectures more than a lot of the quick quotes. While it's interesting to play together and talk about, as a whole it's a really meditative game if you let yourself connect to it. Even when you think some of them are bullshit, you can kind of meditate on why you feel that way while you do some puzzlin'.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I'm happy JonBlow was willing to chuck in an entire Ted Talks segment as an audio log. And I'm sure I'll listen to the white lady who can afford to go to Australia that says I'm already everything I am, I just gotta stop trying so hard and in fact stop trying at all.

Me during both the log and the video :jerkbag:

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Yeah, the point of going up the mountain was to show you the blocked puzzle on the top. You have six lasers on and there are six open doors on it, with only one - the one at the bottom - left to unlock. As people said, you only need one more laser to open this box and go to the endgame, but there's a lot to be said for getting all 11 lasers.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Given you spent a lot of the end of the last video and the start of this video looking at not just the puzzle you didn't get (the one with the T-pieces in the village) but the solved puzzle on its left, you might want to use that as a guide when you come back. There's a partial solution already there for you to work from.

Arctos
May 10, 2008
:haw: You guys stared right at the "reflected giant praying lady" for like 10 seconds in a previous video but never noticed.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think that river puzzle and the river behind it at the top of the mountain were to teach people environment puzzles exist if they still hadn't noticed them by the time they got there.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Fedule posted:

There are short ones and long ones (some infamously so) but the point is, we'd be losing a lot by abridging them and if I may be so blunt, most of the negative responses to them seem to be based more out of impatience than anything else, and that impatience is born of nothing except an expectation of what "audiologs" in a videogame are supposed to be like.
It seems however that while there are other audio... recordings that are long and maybe get too complicated to grasp (at least some parts of them do), the recording on the mountain top is considered the worst one. It's not just impatience, though probably there's some of that weighing in. For me, it's that that talk is boring in the sense that it doesn't say much; not anything that couldn't be said in less than one minute. And the narating voice almost gives a constant excited/ amazed tone to it... for 10 minutes. Which gets annoying.

in contrast, I guess, I listened through the entire longest recording that the game has to offer, and I wasn't bored at all.

tlarn posted:

I'm happy JonBlow was willing to chuck in an entire Ted Talks segment as an audio log. And I'm sure I'll listen to the white lady who can afford to go to Australia that says I'm already everything I am, I just gotta stop trying so hard and in fact stop trying at all.

If it helps, she definitely was not saying to "stop trying at all". Her focus was the part where people should look at themselves with a clear mind (trying to get rid of the image that they have of themselves, and the continuous thinking of what they want to be, what goals they have, how they should go about achieving them blah blah) for a few moments -- or once in a while I guess -- to see/ explore what is really there. Apparently you can be surprised/ shocked by what you find.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 9, 2016

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I liked the mountain log. It's not like I was in any rush when I found it, I just pottered around trying to see all the mountaintop statues (and I still managed to miss some :v: ). And also got lost trying to work out how the heck you get back down the mountain again.

If I recall correctly, it's from one of the Apollo 9 astronauts? The ones who tested out docking/piloting the lunar module in Earth orbit.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I liked it too! Then again, I find the philosophy of science, and theology fascinating, so I loved the audiologs in general.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
I haven't played the game, but I've been catching up with this LP over the last week and I've enjoyed it greatly, even (especially) when I'm being angry about lines at my computer screen (You had the answer, it's right there!, usually. Also about ten episodes I spent going 'Wasn't there a tutorial row of puzzles back in the town you saw? Go back there!' But you did, so it's all good!).

It's been a good way to see it; I imagine I would have gotten stuck on an entirely different set of puzzles than you guys have been, and quite possibly given up early. I'm keeping an eye out for when you go back to the WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AMY CMON NOW treehouse area and the temple with the lattices without any markings in the puzzle grids areas to crack those ones - I want to see what the mechanic ends up being for those!

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012
I'm another one who enjoyed the spacelog. It definitely repeated itself a little bit at points, but it was a topic that interested me, there were new points often enough and the speaker just sounded so darn enthusiastic about the whole thing.
The video, though... I don't know if I'd have had the patience to wait for the speaker to pause her way through her speech if I was the one playing. Though if it were an audiolog and I could focus on other things? Eh, maybe it wouldn't have been so annoying.

For the environmental puzzle near the village pier with the orange crate behind the slotted wall, you were talking about finding the right angle but I'm pretty sure if you just drive the boat right past the port you could do it as you were moving. It looked like you almost did during the fastforward part, you just didn't get to the end because the boat pulled up first.

Arctos posted:

:haw: You guys stared right at the "reflected giant praying lady" for like 10 seconds in a previous video but never noticed.

Mind spoilerposting which video it was from? (and maybe a timestamp if you're feeling generous). I missed it, too.

FishOnAPiano fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 9, 2016

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I don't think we have any particular problems with the logs; their lengths just take us by surprise sometimes. :-P

Arctos
May 10, 2008

FishOnAPiano posted:

Mind spoilerposting which video it was from? (and maybe a timestamp if you're feeling generous). I missed it, too.
Sure thing, it's here in part 11. Some people at the time did point out that the giant lady they did spot wasn't the only one there...

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

AbstractNapper posted:

If it helps, she definitely was not saying to "stop trying at all". Her focus was the part where people should look at themselves with a clear mind (trying to get rid of the image that they have of themselves, and the continuous thinking of what they want to be, what goals they have, how they should go about achieving them blah blah) for a few moments -- or once in a while I guess -- to see/ explore what is really there. Apparently you can be surprised/ shocked by what you find.

Yeah it's this plus, basically you might already be a lot closer to what you want than you think, people get bogged down in the details (I want to date this specific type of person, I need this specific piece of paper, etc. in order to be happy).

This is cool because like a lot of the quotes it works on both a philosophical level and as a commentary on the game. You can read that as applying to the puzzles for instance - is the ruleset you have in mind what you really need to solve a puzzle? If you're struggling and you put a puzzle aside for a moment, can you take a detour to something else, learn something new, refresh your memory, or bring new eyes to it? If you do, you might find that you had the answers all along & had just thought yourself into a corner. (Much like the black & white stars puzzle we're stuck on ATM.) You can apply that to other game elements too - how easy it is to miss things you're specifically looking for (audiologs & environmental puzzles) because you're hyper-focused on a certain thing, but you may spot them immediately in editing.

Some of the audiologs are placed in areas that work thematically too - obviously the space view one is at the top of the mountain because ha ha you're high up, but you can also see it as talking about how when you first began the game, the island seemed vast & intimidating, it was difficult to tell how areas fit together & how mechanics interacted, but at that point you can see how small physically all those struggles and pretty sights were. You've literally ascended to a higher understanding (maybe it's just "everything is puzzles" though :)). By the time I got there in my game, I could navigate the island about as well as my city, which is crazy when you think about how much you get turned around & lost in the very beginning. Like the quote talks about identifying with countries out of familiarity, you start to recognize - there's the town, there's the shadow trees. Remember the cool stuff we found there? And so on.

/effortpost

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 10, 2016

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Next time you get to a laser block take a close look. I was playing today and noticed that they have different patterns on them.

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

Arctos posted:

Sure thing, it's here in part 11. Some people at the time did point out that the giant lady they did spot wasn't the only one there...

Oh geez, even with the link I couldn't see it until I went and looked up a picture. Thanks!

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Man, if you guys freaked out about this video, I look forward to the candle.

It is spoilers - but anyone who has played it and want to know more about the Candle scene and how it fits into The Witness. Extra Credits did a video about it a couple of weeks ago. SPOILERS SPOILERS EVERYWHERE.

Shaded Spriter fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 11, 2016

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Maigius posted:

Next time you get to a laser block take a close look. I was playing today and noticed that they have different patterns on them.
Holy poo poo!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Shaded Spriter posted:

It is spoilers - but anyone who has played it and want to know more about the Candle scene and how it fits into The Witness. Extra Credits did a video about it a couple of weeks ago.

I get what it's supposed to mean, but separated from the context of the movie there's nothing compelling about watching it. You can assign meaning to it after the fact, but like the video from this episode the actual watching is excruciating, and not in the way the actual movie wants to convey. It's not as bad a use as the James Burke clip, which is supposed to be a capstone on 10 hours of context, but at least the audio logs around the world are usually fully-contained ideas, not snippets you're just supposed to know about.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Bruceski posted:

It's not as bad a use as the James Burke clip, which is supposed to be a capstone on 10 hours of context

I thought the James Burke clip was quite self-contained. It's apparent that it is a final segment from a longer show, but it stood alone and made sense without me needing to know the rest of the context. And so was this episode's video with the slow talker (wait did Seinfeld had one of those? I remember the low-, the high- and the close- talkers... but no slow ones :D ).

The candle one only made whatever sense and symbolism I chose to assign to it, while I was watching it. Simple things like how perhaps faith can make sense to some people and make them persistent in doing stuff which seem pointless or crazy to others, and which could potentially be unhealthy (in many ways) for themselves. I sort of suspected it had to be from a Tarkovsky movie or maybe some European director, but didn't follow up on it.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

My favourite video clip so far (I've seen four) has been the Feynman one, but then Richard Feynman steals every show he's in anyway so that's probably inevitable.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Paul.Power posted:

My favourite video clip so far (I've seen four) has been the Feynman one, but then Richard Feynman steals every show he's in anyway so that's probably inevitable.
His audio log was great too. I recommend reading "Surely you're joking, Mr. ...", if you haven't already.

Also, some people may notice the distinct lack of quotes from someone very skilled at theology and the philosophy of science... there's a good reason, and it's explained in a late-game log.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Arctos posted:

The game loves hiding figures and features in the environment. The first video-room bunker you find has this lovely little cloud-tree outside the window:

And here are two figures you can find if you look carefully. I'm going to have to go and screenshot some more because while sometimes it's hard to tell whether your pareidolia is playing up or not, there are a lot of figures in places and the game has a lot of perspective tricks that aren't actually puzzles.

I know Pete was looking, and I was looking too, but is there actually a secret in that video? Maybe it is behind the screen somehow, I've looked and couldn't find anything suspect but I don't want to spend an hour looking for something if it involves watching that video eighteen times in a fruitless search for nothing. I know there are puzzles connected to the videos themselves, I managed to find the green one, by accident, which was at the time an impressive level of bullshit for me.

Edit: Went back to get a couple of screenshots, here's the praying lady.

If you're not yet seeing it, here.

And as I'm here, here's good shots of a couple that we've seen already.

I'm sure there are more that I can't remember.

It's not just reflections and shadows. The statues like to interact sometimes, too.

TheDarkFlame fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Dominoes posted:

His audio log was great too. I recommend reading "Surely you're joking, Mr. ...", if you haven't already.

Also, some people may notice the distinct lack of quotes from someone very skilled at theology and the philosophy of science... there's a good reason, and it's explained in a late-game log.
Yeah, I've read most of his stuff at this point :). I think he has at least four audiologs in the game, too.

• Locked thread