Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oxyclean posted:

I kicked it down once and had to free him again, is there any reason to keep doing it? I didn't try kicking it down again because I was worried i was just going to worsen my chances at finding someone worthwhile in a cell.

If you do it 3 times he gives you a gun unlock to bribe you to you stop doing it. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Holy poo poo I can ace the floor 1-3 bosses with ease now but If I get High priest on chamber 4 im hosed, hardest Ch4 boss by far. The wall is the easiest.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Oxyclean posted:

What's with the "other " boss room on floor 3?

If you mean what I think you mean that's the boss for the quest from tutorial ghost.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Kill Pillars are the only chamber 4 boss I haven't managed to beat yet. High Priest is a fucker but if you're decent at dodging and willing to carefully walk between bullets when possible, most of his patterns are fairly manageable. The Kill Pillars are just a relentless clusterfuck and I always end up mistiming a dodge and eating poo poo.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Waffle! posted:

Liquid items will put out the fireplace on the first floor as well. Doused it with a Poison Vial by accident.

The slime monsters will do it too.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The high priest got chumped first time I saw him, second time I fought him I was shaving off like 10-15% with every shot but he killed me anyway due to bullets randomly spawning inside my character.

I legit don't know why that's a thing because if it wasn't for his untelegraphed bullshit he'd be the easiest bar none.

Also just had a good run trashed due to my game crashing on floor 4 :cool:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Oxyclean posted:

What's with the "other " boss room on floor 3?

Also, are some dudes in the breech just for flavor? Does helmet dude do anything?

Did you find the secret room in the tutorial area? If not, do that

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The High priest always gently caress me up because bullets keep spawning from the walls it seems?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

FrickenMoron posted:

The High priest always gently caress me up because bullets keep spawning from the walls it seems?

Nah

They can spawn anywhere in the room at complete random because some of the bosses in this game are just flat out badly designed.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah that fight keeps loving me up exactly because of that. I think the Wall is the only good Chamber 4 boss. Even the Dragun is way more fair than the High Priest or Kill Pillars.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I really like this game.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The High Priest's bullets are telegraphed though?? There's a sound and a flash of light at the location a burst is about to appear.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

voltcatfish posted:

I really like this game.

I just learned about this game a couple of hours ago and I've been playing it nonstop since. It's so fun :swoon: My first weapon was the letter 'r', and from that moment I knew this was the game for me.

It's kicking my rear end though, I've yet to get past the third level and I usually die sometime during the second. Bad luck in this game is really bad, and a couple of times I haven't even gotten past the first floor because I get no weapons and some horrible boss/layout :(

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Angry Diplomat posted:

The High Priest's bullets are telegraphed though?? There's a sound and a flash of light at the location a burst is about to appear.

In the darkness part yeah there's a big show of them appearing.

Random little pellets that appear by themselves though don't have anything as far as I'm aware and I was trying to look out for it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Welp, Broccoli just carried me to victory against the Lich for the first time. I have no idea what exactly it did, but by chamber 5 I was one shotting normal mobs, and 3 shotting Jammed mobs with a loving Hegemony Rifle.

Edit: The flavour text on the Gilded Hydra kinda implies there are more secrets to the game. Maybe something obscure like The Lost in Isaac.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 10, 2016

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
RNG just shat all over me that run. 1 Key drop on floor one. I am aiming to finally complete the secret level poo poo anyways, Chamber 1 only had brown chests so I unlock the level.

No key drops from level or boss, shop has none and the goddamn item is behind a locked door. And to tease me 2 red chests in the level. Fantastic.

Chamber 2. Shop is behind a locked door and again no key drops. Another red chest in the chamber.

Chamber 3. No keys yet again.

Then Chamber 4 just slams the High priest on me when I have not picked up any decent boss killer weapons the entire run.

Figure karma was balancing since I had 2 consecutive (and my first ones) past killing runs last night. One of them also being the first time I beat Chamber 5. Fightsabre loving OP.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Lol fat bullets stack with the eye of the beholster's pistol, so now I have giant beholderkin on my screen

Edit: almost flawlessly killed the treadnaught with it but one of the mobs spawned and I touched it by mistake :(

DJ Fuckboy Supreme fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 10, 2016

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Also, I ran into this guy in a secret room:

He just said something about it being dangerous to go alone, and gave me a free gun. Pretty obvious Zelda reference.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I beat the oubliette, but lost the old crest to a cheap hit on the next dungeon. I'm guessing you have to take it to the altar without getting hit or something? Wax wings and t-shirt cannon carried me hard through the 3rd floor. Knock people into pits erra day.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yep, which can be super easy or super hard depending on the dungeon layout. I also once had the shrine behind a key locked door which is just BS.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

Kill Pillars are the only chamber 4 boss I haven't managed to beat yet. High Priest is a fucker but if you're decent at dodging and willing to carefully walk between bullets when possible, most of his patterns are fairly manageable. The Kill Pillars are just a relentless clusterfuck and I always end up mistiming a dodge and eating poo poo.

Quick tip for Kill Pillars - hit them all evenly so they die in quick succession. They aren't that much more dangerous when they're all there and if you can use burst damage to kill them all quickly you can skip their last form (it's how I beat them last time).

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Last form of Kill Pillars is really easy if you just alternate between going left and right underneath the statue.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

goferchan posted:

Did you find the secret room in the tutorial area? If not, do that

How do you find it? Also how do you find secret room in general?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How do you find it? Also how do you find secret room in general?

No-ones worked out a pattern for working out probably locations, but in general if you shoot a secret passage with a non-starter gun it'll crack the wall. You can sometimes find them with your starter weapon too as it'll have a different FX when it hits the wall.

Note that this also works on fixed secret rooms like the fireplace one in chamber 1, which can't be opened via a blank, so it's worth being careful.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Shoot walls with a non-starter gun until they crack (e.g. the AK in the tutorial), use a blank in the room you've identified has it. The tutorial one isn't hard to find, but I wouldn't waste your time shooting walls anywhere else, they can be almost anywhere.

Blanks are refilled at the beginning of the floor though so if you really want to, and you have 1-2 spare blanks, then feel free to pop them in random rooms immediately before going down. You might get super lucky.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This has got to be one of the most tragically designed games I've played in years. So much work went into the amazing art and the 100+ unique, gimmicky, funny weapons. And then they loving designed the game to not only incentivize you but also often force you to use nothing but the most weak, unfun gun possible for strings of rooms and even entire floors. Meanwhile enemies have enormous amounts of health and you have no choice but to slowly pour entire magazines into every one as you see your impending loss getting closer and closer because you have no way to stop the attrition.

The game would be extremely hard most of the time even if every gun had infinite ammo. Why on earth did they think they needed to add RNG-driven resource starvation as some kind of difficulty mechanic? This has got to be one of the most unfitting games possible for that kind of design. I really hope the devs are willing to put some major changes into place, because there is a ridiculous amount of wasted potential here :(

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 10, 2016

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
The hitsparks when you shoot a secret room wall with the starter gun are different from a normal walls. It's not 100% though, I guess the fireplace secret wall and some random tile poo poo fucks it up, but it does work most of the time.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Table Tech: Blanks is amazingly OP until suddenly there are no tables anymore and it's worthless.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Klaus Kinski posted:

The hitsparks when you shoot a secret room wall with the starter gun are different from a normal walls. It's not 100% though, I guess the fireplace secret wall and some random tile poo poo fucks it up, but it does work most of the time.

Yeah, I do this. It's a little tedious on Marine and Pilot because their guns aren't semiautomatic, but the starting revolvers make it pretty easy to spray down the walls evenly in about one clip, and it's netted me a good amount of secret rooms. I wouldn't mind a more thoughtful way to determine where they are though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Okay after a few hours with it, I think the game is a lot of fun but it does have its flaws. Thankfully it seems like the devs are reasonable with rebalancing stuff

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Oh man Face Melter is such a fun gun but it's a shame it's so weak and chews through ammo so fast.

I'm probably the worst player ever (124 deaths and still no win whatsoever) but I agree with the sentiment that the game is so stingy with giving you guns despite the aesthetic being super goofy and pun/reference driven.

I lied, 128 deaths :smith:

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 10, 2016

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
M1 Garand just needs the "ping" sound when you empty the magazine and it will be the perfect gun.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
BULLET

BULLET

lowercase r is the best gun

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Your Computer posted:

I just learned about this game a couple of hours ago and I've been playing it nonstop since. It's so fun :swoon: My first weapon was the letter 'r', and from that moment I knew this was the game for me.

It's kicking my rear end though, I've yet to get past the third level and I usually die sometime during the second. Bad luck in this game is really bad, and a couple of times I haven't even gotten past the first floor because I get no weapons and some horrible boss/layout :(

Bullet gun is best gun

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Lakbay posted:

Oh man Face Melter is such a fun gun but it's a shame it's so weak and chews through ammo so fast.

I'm probably the worst player ever (124 deaths and still no win whatsoever) but I agree with the sentiment that the game is so stingy with giving you guns despite the aesthetic being super goofy and pun/reference driven.

I lied, 128 deaths :smith:

No worries man, I'm getting destroyed on the first level through like seven lives so far. I'll get my legs under me soon

How's co-op for this btw?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Omnikin posted:

No worries man, I'm getting destroyed on the first level through like seven lives so far. I'll get my legs under me soon

How's co-op for this btw?

Just work on mastering the dodge roll. The natural instinct is to dodge away from bullet waves but that just gets you hit. Dodge over and through them and you'll survive the first level no problem.

It gets worse.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

ChickenHeart posted:

M1 Garand just needs the "ping" sound when you empty the magazine and it will be the perfect gun.

Needs to be semi-automatic as well - BWABWABWABWABWABWABWABWA *ping*

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The two hardest enemies on the first three floors, in no particular order:

The Lead Maiden with the bullets that turn to aim at you again. I always get hit and have to waste a blank.

The Veteran Shotgun Kin that shoot in a < pattern. The way I dodge every other attack in the game always dodges me right into the other half of the flying V pattern.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If you're calm when facing the Iron Maidens they become a lot easier. Though of course this applies to a lot of bullet hell stuff(don't move more than you need to).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
So, I think the two best characters are the Marine and Pilot.

The Marine because he begins with the best side arm out of the other characters while also having more accuracy and faster reload times. You could even do the first two bosses with his side arm alone without it being too much of a drag, which makes him a safe choice against the RNG making GBS threads all over you. The free ammo drop is pretty nice too.

The Pilot is pretty good if you're fine with his garbage side arm for the first 5 minutes of the game as you try to find something more useful. The extra ammo capacity and item slots are pretty nice to have and let him use his non-sidearms more often (which is good since again, it loving blows). The reduced shop prices is nice as well AND stacks with Smiley's gun.

The other two (haven't unlocked any secret characters yet) aren't bad either, but aren't quite as good as the bonuses you get from the Marine and Pilot (also to those still making GBS threads on the Convict: She gets a high damage boost for a few seconds when hit and has an incredibly good reusable item for the first two floors..well unless you get the lead king.).

On another note, has anyone found a pattern to where secret rooms are hidden? I know it will usually take more than one shot to cause cracks to appear in a wall, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to its placement beyond it being found anywhere with a big enough empty spot.